Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath Panel or Tiles

• 29-05-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey there.

Trying to decide whether i will fit a bath panel to the bath or just tile to the floor instead of a bath panel.
    My tiler is recommending that we get a bath panel for the bath as if there are any leaks (bath trap, taps), then its easier to get at.
    The other solution is to make up a frame with timber and waterproof plywood, fix the frame in the position of the bath panel and then tile to the floor. Looks well and have seen some show rooms done this way.

If i go with the Tile to the floor option, how can i leave access to the bath trap and taps if i ever need to get at them?? I dont want to have to go breaking tiles.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

More or less down to the ingenuity of your tiler. Could you put a hatch in from the room on the other side of the bath? (I have this.) Also, you could put a hatch in the tiled area (doesn't look too cool though). You could get the tiler to cut a panel at the end of the plywood that can be removed easily.

It is critical that there be access to the stuff under the bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You can get kits with a metal plate / magnet arrangement where you have one tile just held in place by magnets but cosmetically concealed by being grouted like all the rest. In a repair sitation you just break the grout joint, do the work, then re-grout. It's common here in France where bath panels seem scarce.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We made the panel, I then tiled it, drilled through some of the tiles, onto the frame, screwed it in, grouted the joints, looks spot on, pics actually on the blog in my sig if u want a gander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I wish I knew if my circular bath had a panel! The mixer tap's rinse valve is broken and needs replacement, problem being that it's a sealed unit and I need to access the piping undeneath... humbug.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I wud be suprised if it does not, are u sure that the panel is not just cocked up underneath the bath, I remember our corner bath was a dog to put the panel onto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I tiled mine, I've spare tiles in the shed if I have to take it off, worth the risk IMO. Plus it's a Jaccuzi bath I have so there's extra risk.
    yop wrote:
    We made the panel, I then tiled it, drilled through some of the tiles, onto the frame, screwed it in, grouted the joints, looks spot on, pics actually on the blog in my sig if u want a gander
    Well done dude, I would have done this had I thought of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Depending on your tiles you could have a sheed of ply or MDF routered to match. We had a large cream tile in the bathroom and using a router and straight edge managed to get a perfect match. Needs to be well sealed and painted/sprayed to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Dony

stapeler wrote: »
    Depending on your tiles you could have a sheed of ply or MDF routered to match. We had a large cream tile in the bathroom and using a router and straight edge managed to get a perfect match. Needs to be well sealed and painted/sprayed to match.

I'm trying to get ideas for a corner bath panel. Length is 220cms.
    Don't really want to go down the tiling route.
    What thickness was the mdf or ply that you used?
    What did you use the router for? I have a router.
    Any chance of some pics?
    The tiles I have are cream travertine.
    Thanks

Advertisement