Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple DTP software

Options
  • 29-05-2007 3:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm going to be doing a small publication (20 pages or so) and am looking to find out what the best software for doing this is?
    I'm used to Photoshop and Lightroom, so I'd prefer something by Adobe - is PageMaker any good for this?
    I'd mostly be using a graphic (which I'd create in photoshop) or solid colour as a backgroun, then type over the top of the image, inserting images where needed.
    Nothing to complicated, but a bit too DTP for Photoshop, and not mad enough for Quark, if you catch my drift.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

If you're going with Adobe and have the money InDesign is the way to go and is imo the best DTP software out there.

If you don't have much money to spare Scribus http://www.scribus.net/ is supposed to be decent.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

download a trial of indesign from the adobe site, free and fully functional for 30 days... more than enough time to do your booklet.

if you've never used it before i suggest you have a look at www.vtc.com - online tutorials - the first dozen or so lessons are free and are enough to help you find your bearings with indesign. Once you've used it you'll never want to use anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Have to concur ... but its pretty much a Full DTP package ... integrates nicely with illustrator and photoshop ...

yeah, but it is also simple to use & it's industry standard rather than freeware so you're guaranteed not to get dud code in your files... will print everytime no matter where you send it for print.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I... erm... have access to InDesign already - so I'll give that a bash and see how I get on.
    Thanks for the tutorial link. I'll let you see the final thing when I have it done!

• Advertisement

ah cool, interface should be second nature to you then!
    We can print it for you!!! (don't deliver to antrim though:))

minikin wrote:
    ah cool, interface should be second nature to you then!
    We can print it for you!!! (don't deliver to antrim though:))

I'm going to have to look into getting it printed. What would your costs be for a A5 booklet made up of, say 20 A4 pages, folded, if you know what I mean?
    Get me and my DTP terminology!

Hi Oriel,

what quantity?

Is it full colour throughout or colour cover, black internal etc...

What weight stock do you want it on - gloss art card cover?

what's the vowel count? We charge extra for e's, i's and u's at the moment - iraq, what can you do :rolleyes:

Erm, full colour through out. Think along the lines of an musician's Tour Programme... Preferably without the gloss though. Matte all the way.

Advertisement