Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please.

Options
  • 29-05-2007 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

hello to all,well done on this hobby radio section very good indeed.
    just wondering is there much activity on the airwaves now as to 10 years ago.

i used to have a set up 10 years ago working a president vr144 240 channel am/usb/lsb radio with 5/8 wave silver rod antenna and a bv-135 linear amp.
    i have a stalker 9 radio lying here at the moment have not used it in years,so i,m wondering would it be worth going out buying a new antron 99 and some rg213 coax,as i,m not sure if there are many people on the air now?.

or would it be best to buy a good second hf rig,is there many on the hf radio around ireland,i know that a lot of the bands on hf you need a license to transmit,but been told theres a few bands there where non license holders can talk?.

i,m in kilkenny and would love to hear from people that are currently on air that can advise on what best to do thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The only unlicenced activity allowed is CB (5W? Not sure) or PMR446. Both of these unmodified CE marked gear must be used. CB you can have any non-beam aerial. PMR446 you must use the built in aerial.

To operate on 137kHz , 1.8MHz to 30MHz, 50Mhz, 70Mhz, 144MHz, 430MHz, 1.2Ghz, etc Amateur bands you need a fairly easy to get Wireless Experimenter licence. Soon this will be one payment for life. The exam is multiple choice and Morse (CW) is no longer required. Power is between 1W RF on 137kHz (need 2kW linear to get it) to up to 400W RMS on many other bands.

There may be a few thousand folk on air with Licence and unknown number on PMr446 & CB.

Advertisement