Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Bertie appear on the Premiership?

• 29-05-2007 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I was shocked to discover this nugget on Bertie's wiki:
    "Sport is one of Ahern's passions. He appeared as a pundit on RTE Two's The Premiership programme in 2001". It is backed up by this link. Did this really happen? Was it entertaining? There must surely be video evidence somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

dunno if it did happen, would be hilarious though

"eh eh eh eh eh it was a good goal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Yes he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Yeah it was a sham, his knowledge of football from my memory was brutal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yeah, it did happen alright. Just one programme. I saw it too. Bertie didnt hide that he was a Man Utd fan through and through. But then, who wouldnt be with such generous people in Manchester handing out money left right and centre ?!?

Bertie (the dirty?) wasnt so much of a pundit, as he was just asked about his love for fooball, for Man Utd, etc. He didnt analyse the games they showed, although maybe he did anaylse the Man Utd one. I'm sure he talked about their chances of winning trophies, good players, etc. It was more a party political broadcast by FF a love-in. I think O'Herlihy hosted it but I cant recall. Dunphy wasnt on it nor allowed within 500m of Montrose that evening, no doubt.

I think RTE pulled the idea of other 'non-footballing' pundits quickly on the back of this programme. Even they could see that it could all get a bit messy, and after a few weeks you'd have on Olwyn Enright, Mary Lou, etc. "I've been to a football match. It was great." It wasnt that Bertie was bad, but one "ah, sure, you're the salt of the earth" type broadcasts was enough.

this should be moved to politics .....

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He had an hour long interview on Setanta last year too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

He criticised Mikel Silvestre to the hilt.

"Irish Prime Minister Claims Silvestre is rubbish"

You dont need to know much about football to understand that Silvestre is rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

redspider wrote:
    Yeah, it did happen alright. Just one programme. I saw it too. Bertie didnt hide that he was a Man Utd fan through and through. But then, who wouldnt be with such generous people in Manchester handing out money left right and centre ?!?

Bertie (the dirty?) wasnt so much of a pundit, as he was just asked about his love for fooball, for Man Utd, etc. He didnt analyse the games they showed, although maybe he did anaylse the Man Utd one. I'm sure he talked about their chances of winning trophies, good players, etc. It was more a party political broadcast by FF a love-in. I think O'Herlihy hosted it but I cant recall. Dunphy wasnt on it nor allowed within 500m of Montrose that evening, no doubt.

I think RTE pulled the idea of other 'non-footballing' pundits quickly on the back of this programme. Even they could see that it could all get a bit messy, and after a few weeks you'd have on Olwyn Enright, Mary Lou, etc. "I've been to a football match. It was great." It wasnt that Bertie was bad, but one "ah, sure, you're the salt of the earth" type broadcasts was enough.

this should be moved to politics .....

redspider
    No Dunphy hosted that one. The panel was Giles and Bertie. Was terrible as I remember. If I remember it was the first premiership that went out at 7pm on a Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I remember watching it, Bertie was dreadful. Talking about his love of United etc he was ok but when it came to the game he was appalling. He referred to Luke Chadwick as Lee Chapman a couple of times. Ever since that show I don't believe he has a legitimate interest in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Andrew 83 wrote:
    He referred to Luke Chadwick as Lee Chapman a couple of times.

Thanks, was racking my brain trying to remember whose name he kept getting wrong. Good auld Bertie, loves Man U and the Dubs. :rolleyes: Typical man of the people rubbish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I remember it well,it was around the time the economy had a bit of a slump.One of the papers had a good headline at the time it went something like this...

Hundred's made redundant,
    A & E meltdown,
    Inflation out of control.

What scares Bertie..'Micheal Owens Pace..'

Only in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement