Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf GTI Mark4 (2001) Timing Belt

Options
  • 29-05-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi,

i am just wodering does anyone know for sure when the timing belt needs to be done on the VW Golf GTI Mark4 as far as I know its 120,000 Miles can any of you guys confirm ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

as far as i know its 60,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think it's 60k too. Have a look in the service book, it'll tell you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - 60,000 miles. The service book will probably say that it is to be inspected at every service but it may not give a specific interval.

But based on previous VW experience I wouldn't let it go beyond 60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jesus, get it done at 60K.

VW Changed the service interval on it at some stage,

On the octavia 1.9 TDI it was 80k but it was reduced to 60k, Its not worth risking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

60,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

crosstownk wrote:
    Yep - 60,000 miles. The service book will probably say that it is to be inspected at every service but it may not give a specific interval.

But based on previous VW experience I wouldn't let it go beyond 60k.

60k is the interval. No point in inspecting a timing belt! Don't forget to get your timing tensioner bearing & water pump changed at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

mine was done at 60k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your not sure when the last time it was done then get it inspected and changed if needed.

A new timing belt is alot cheaper than a new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Darragh29 wrote:
    60k is the interval. No point in inspecting a timing belt! Don't forget to get your timing tensioner bearing & water pump changed at the same time.

It should be inspected. As the belt is rubber it can perish so it is advisable to check it. It's a listed operation on the VW Inspection Service.

Advertisement