Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching ISP, a question ?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm currently with Imagine.ie. All is fine, never had any problems. But I'm moving house at the end of this week. So I called a couple of weeks ago to let them know, so they could switch the line to the new address.

Someone from imagine.ie called me last week and told me that the line switch had been rejected by Eircom and that they'd have to uninstall my broadband, switch the line, and then reinstall the broadband. All this would take up to 5 weeks.

I told imagine they could basically piss off and that i'd cancel my contract. Apparently there's a 99 €*cancellation fee, no way I'm paying for this. Is there any way I can avoid paying this fee seeing as it's their fault in the first place?

I'm now thinking of switching to the 3Mb Wireless with Eircom (free Wireless modem and connection fee). Does anyone have this and is there any chance it'll be ready by next week?

Thanks for your advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How is cancelling Imagine's fault?

It's also not their fault that Eircom rejected the line switch.

Is there an active line at the new address now? If so, you might, if you're lucky, be up and running by next week.

I had Eircom 3Mbit a few years ago, and the service was good (though expensive). At the time, I went for Business Starter, as it had a higher cap than the equivalent home package. Dunno if that's still the case, though might be worth checking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Its really an accomplishment to make a hardened boarsie feel sorry for an isp but you succeeded!:rolleyes:

Imagine's terms and conditions which you accepted clearly state:
    9. TERMINATION

9.1 Subject to the provisions of clause 9.2, this Agreement may be terminated by either party on three (3) month's written notice to the other.
    9.2 If the Customer terminates this Agreement, and consequently the Services, or any of them, during the Initial Minimum Period, including circumstances where the customer is changing address, imagine may, without prejudice to its rights to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of this Agreement, agree to accept such termination provided thirty (30) working days prior written notice has been received of such termination and the Customer agrees to pay to imagine all outstanding charges accrued in full and the termination charge of ninety-nine euros (€99) for early termination of the Services.

and also:
    "Initial Minimum Period" means the first twelve (12) calendar months of the Services beginning from the Commencement Date;

Now I have yet to hear of any ISP forcing a customer to move house and no one forced you to go with Imagine in the first place so as byte rightly says above how is any of this Imagine's fault?

Before ordering any 3Mb service you should make sure the line is capable of handling it otherwise you are just buying trouble for yourself.

Advertisement