Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranmore Soccer Tournament

Options
  • 29-05-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering is there anyone on this thats taking part in the soccer tournament on Arranmore, Donegal this weekend?? Or anyone who done it last year?? I might be going up with a couple of friends this year, is it good craic? Any nightlife on the island???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Aranmore is a great place. Night??? Surely you mean early morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

yeah night, early morning lunch....u get the idea. many pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

im goin over this weekend too (mind u not for the footie!)......Therz pubs yeah but stop in dungloe and stock up before you head over I say. Oh and if ur plannin on takin ur car on the Ferry, booking in advance is a big bonus cuz then u know u'l get it over for sure! Went over for my 21st last year and knowin my luck weren't the guards over the same bloody night but all the same we had a great night!

bring on the weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

keltoms wrote:
    Hi all,

Just wondering is there anyone on this thats taking part in the soccer tournament on Arranmore, Donegal this weekend?? Or anyone who done it last year?? I might be going up with a couple of friends this year, is it good craic? Any nightlife on the island???

Is the craic anygood on Aranmore, I have heard of people going for a day trip and have still not returned after 20 years.

They say it is something you must experience at some stage of your life

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nanook wrote:
    I have heard of people going for a day trip and have still not returned after 20 years.
    They based the TV hit, "Lost" on the people who never returned from the island ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

nanook wrote:
    Is the craic anygood on Aranmore, I have heard of people going for a day trip and have still not returned after 20 years.

Nanook, if you ever get the chance (although that is most unlikely for a few years :D), you should go. Tis mad.

for some reason never went to the island, I know the area like the back of my hand but never got to get my legs wet.

For anyone who is going, make sure and see is there any guards on in burtonport before you get the ferry, every now and then the local guards go out on the last ferry and close all the bars at closing time.

just a little pointer

AFAIk there is a garda on the island full time - well at least there was a couple of years ago.

you see, even I can be wrong :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JackG

There is no full time police presence on the island. They do come in sometimes on the last ferry and stay over night. When that happens they close the pubs and nightclub on time. Still a great place and this coming weekend is always a good one. Just wondeing if the hotel ( which I heard had closed and is up for sale ) is open for the weekend ?...

• Advertisement

JackG wrote:
    There is no full time police presence on the island. They do come in sometimes on the last ferry and stay over night. When that happens they close the pubs and nightclub on time. Still a great place and this coming weekend is always a good one. Just wondeing if the hotel ( which I heard had closed and is up for sale ) is open for the weekend ?...

correction, sometime muffler can be wrong:p :p:p

I am happy to be wrong on this occasion (well half wrong).
    A few years ago I did read that there was to be a full time Garda based on the island. This would not have pleased the locals and visitors alike.

WOW! First day back from Arranmore and i have to say that it was the messiest drinking session ive ever been on in my life! Also, it was the best weekend of my life :) love the place!

keltoms wrote:
    WOW! First day back from Arranmore and i have to say that it was the messiest drinking session ive ever been on in my life! Also, it was the best weekend of my life :) love the place!
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I take it you will get some sleep now ;)

Ye'all come back now!

oh was brilliant, there was guards on the island but that didnt really matter. left smugglers nightclub and went down to a beach party:) great craic, big fire and bottles of jameson being passed around!:D

Advertisement