Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seatbelt rules of the road

Options
  • 29-05-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭

I have my driving test coming up and was reading through the new rules of the road book. They said there's 3 exceptions to not having to wear your seatbelt:
    1. If you're a garda on duty.
    2. If you've a medical condition and have a specific instruction from your doc.
    3. If you're a driving instructor or tester!

Can anyone explain the 3rd??? Do you not get penalty points then for it (I'm not overly worried bout that tho) but I'd have thought driving instructors in particular should wear seatbelts as theyre more at risk being constantly driven by learner drivers?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I presume it is because at certain stages of the test or instruction they may need to unbuckle so the can properly observe the driver they are teaching. Most driving instructors are probably more aware of the dangers on the road than other drivers and would probably have two seat belts on if they could so i wouldn't care about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Conar

I could be wrong but I always assumed that it was so they can jump accross and grab the wheel etc if neccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Cathooo wrote:
    I have my driving test coming up and was reading through the new rules of the road book. They said there's 3 exceptions to not having to wear your seatbelt:
    1. If you're a garda on duty.
    2. If you've a medical condition and have a specific instruction from your doc.
    3. If you're a driving instructor or tester!

Can anyone explain the 3rd??? Do you not get penalty points then for it (I'm not overly worried bout that tho) but I'd have thought driving instructors in particular should wear seatbelts as theyre more at risk being constantly driven by learner drivers?!

Maybe they needs to be able to jump out of the car in a hurry to avoid getting into a crash :p . Only joking.
    It is a safety issue. They need to be able to react if the learner does not react to a fast enough and for them to grab the wheel fast if the handbrake is not good enough to stop in time and direct the car out of danger or to crash it against a wall or other park vehicle, that if you are about to run down someone. The modern day seat belts prevent quick jerks or pulls and prevent the instructor from reacting quickly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

so if you have a full license and are in the passenger seat and get stopped by the Guards and the driver has a provisional can you just say "I an instructor" and get away with the penalty points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

errr.. a passanger cant get points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ok how about this, if you have a 16 year old in the passenger seat with a Full A1 / M / W license, you can get points if they aren't wearing a belt. But since they have a full license you could of course suggest they were giving you lessons. Then again since there are no requirements to be a driving instructor you could probably claim that any unbelted passenger was an instructor on the basis they meet all the legal requirements.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ok how about this, if you have a 16 year old in the passenger seat with a Full A1 / M / W license, you can get points if they aren't wearing a belt. But since they have a full license you could of course suggest they were giving you lessons.

They'd need a full B licence, meaning they'd have to be at least 17. You're not responsible for making passengers over the age of 17 wear their seatbelt anyway.

Stark wrote:
    They'd need a full B licence, meaning they'd have to be at least 17. You're not responsible for making passengers over the age of 17 wear their seatbelt anyway.
    No they don't actually need a B license to be a driving instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

I think it may also be for other safety reasons aswell, similar to taxi drivers. i.e. instructors and testers are working in a confined environment with strangers. Bus drivers and train operators are secured behind a door/glass panel.

a passenger CAN NOT get penalty points.. only a fine.

If a child (under 16) is not wearing a seat belt.. then the driver gets the points and fine

passenger 16 or over will only get a fine

and taxi drivers are now required to wear a seatbelt.

There is a typo/ confusion somewhere... its driving testers that dont have to wear a seatbelt.. Anyone giving a lesson (in a car) has to by law wear a seatbelt, unless they are otherwise exempt ie, letter from their doctor.

also.. if you are accompaning a provisional licenced driver.. you must have a full licence for the category of vehicle that is being driven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pa990 wrote:
    also.. if you are accompaning a provisional licenced driver.. you must have a full licence for the category of vehicle that is being driven
    ...and must be legally capable of driving if required! ( i.e. sober ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

A person reversing a car doesn't have to wear a seatbelt either

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pa990 wrote:
    If a child (under 16) is not wearing a seat belt.. then the driver gets the points and fine

passenger 16 or over will only get a fine
    Its 17, not 16.

Victor wrote:
    Its 17, not 16.

you're right about the passanger being 17.. [ the age of a child varies depending on the (legal) situation, i got a little mixed up]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

alan4cult wrote:
    A person reversing a car doesn't have to wear a seatbelt either

if that doesnt have all the signs of an urban myth... :p

Wossack wrote:
    if that doesnt have all the signs of an urban myth... :p
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

seriously i heard you can take off your seatbelt whilst reversing to give yourself more mobility to look behind! true or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

seriously i heard you can take off your seatbelt whilst reversing to give yourself more mobility to look behind! true or not?

Not anymore. That used to be the case, but since they *finally* published the new Rules of the Road book (only 3 years late ;)) the only situations where one is exempt from wearing a belt are the ones in the original post. Reversing is no longer acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

yep you can, though I dont think turning in your seat is advisable in the test - I was taught to be able to complete all reversing maneuvers using the mirrors only

/edit: in after microgirl - not seen the new rules, so take your word for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

yeah i use my mirrors mostly as well. but even if i did want to turn around, i could do so with my belt still on. i feel kinda strange even just sitting in a car with no belt on, even if the car is stationary. i suppose its a good frame of mind to be in.

• Advertisement

microgirl wrote:
    Not anymore. That used to be the case, but since they *finally* published the new Rules of the Road book (only 3 years late ;)) the only situations where one is exempt from wearing a belt are the ones in the original post. Reversing is no longer acceptable.
    The Rules of the Road is not a legal interpretation of the law. It is merely a 'lay man's' guide to the Statute Instruments and Acts.

The regulations governing the wearing of seatbelts are to be found in Statute Instrument No.36 of 1978:

Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles)(Amendment) Regulations 1978

(2) Sub-article (1) of this article shall not apply to—

( a ) the holder of a licence under Part IV of the Road Traffic (Public Service Vehicles) Regulations, 1963 ( S.I. No. 191 of 1963 ) while driving a vehicle being used as a small public service vehicle;

( b ) a person giving instruction in or in respect of the driving of the vehicle;

( c ) a person who is conducting a test of competency to drive under Part III of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 ;

( d ) the driver of a vehicle while reversing the vehicle;

( e ) a member of the Garda Síochána or of the Defence Forces in the course of his duty as such member.

As far as I am aware, this regulation has not been revoked and it is still perfectly legal to reverse a car without wearing a seatbelt. I'm open to correction on this.

A further ammendment in 1991 appears to confirm this:

Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles)(Amendment) Regulations 1991

8. (1) The requirement of articles 6 and 7 of these Regulations to wear a safety belt or to be restrained by a child restraint shall not apply to—

( a ) a person occupying a seat which is not fitted with a safety belt;

( b ) a person under 4 years of age occupying a seat, not being a front seat, of a vehicle in which there is no unoccupied appropriate child restraint;

( c ) a person who is 12 years of age or more who is less than 150 centimetres in height;

( d ) a person wearing a disabled person's belt;

( e ) the holder of a certificate of a registered medical practitioner in the form prescribed in the Second Schedule to these Regulations;

( f ) the driver of a vehicle while reversing the vehicle;

( g ) the holder of a licence under Part IV of the Road Traffic (Public Service Vehicles) Regulations, 1963 ( S.I. No. 191 of 1963 ) while driving a vehicle being used as a small public service vehicle;

( h ) a person giving instruction in or in respect of the driving of the vehicle;

(i ) a person who is conducting a test of competency to drive under Part III of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 ;

( j ) a member of the Garda Síochána or of the Defence Forces in the course of duty as such member.

Advertisement