Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Credit card driving licence

Options
  • 29-05-2007 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

As we all know you're supposed to have you driving licence with you whenever you are driving in a public place.

I usually leave mine in the glovebox, but I take it out when I park in a bad area or when I need it for alcohol.

Because its made out of laminated paper its now literally falling apart, and still another few years left, is it possible to get a replacement (where I can produce the worn original) and when, oh when, will we get UK style credit card licences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I keep mine in the inside pocket of my bike gear permanently. If I ever get stopped and asked to produce it while out in the car I'm sure I'll be able to get away with saying its with the vechile I'm more likley to be stopped on...

Bring on the credit card licenses though. The current one is an awkward piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You can just go in and get another one but it will cost you. Otherwise, you can tell them you lost it, pay for another one, and then you will have two. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

You can just go in and get another one but it will cost you. Otherwise, you can tell them you lost it, pay for another one, and then you will have two. Sorted.
    The old one becomes obsolete. It will show up as lost/stolen on a garda check which would get you in hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

You can get a replacement Costs like about €7 or something like that if I remember rightly when mine fell apart If you say it's lost you've to get the guard's to sign a form saying you lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A uk one can easily break if you sit down with one in your back pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

A UK one can easily break if you sit down with one in your back pocket.

But if you stick it in your wallet/purse then the likelihood of that happening is a lot less. And most of us will take our wallet/purse with us when we go out. Thus ensuring that you have it with you in your car/bike/bus/van etc ad nauseum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

How do you go about getting one of the credit card size ones then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

How do you go about getting one of the credit card size ones then?

Move to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Rather blatant hijacking I know, but soldier on...
    Anyone know how you get one of the dredit card sized passports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

A uk one can easily break if you sit down with one in your back pocket.

Good point there jimmy

Just like your credit card, Bank card, Xtra vision card, library card etc. Mine break all the time ... lucky i found out about this thing called a wallet! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

vector wrote:
    As we all know you're supposed to have you driving licence with you whenever you are driving in a public place.

I usually leave mine in the glovebox, but I take it out when I park in a bad area or when I need it for alcohol.

Because its made out of laminated paper its now literally falling apart, and still another few years left, is it possible to get a replacement (where I can produce the worn original) and when, oh when, will we get UK style credit card licences.

Give the licence in to the Motor Tax Office with an duplicate licence application form (available there or at the Garda Station), €5, and 2 pictures and they'll give you a new one. (The "Garda Certificate" section of the application form does not have to be completed if the licence is returned to the MTO... only if the licence is lost or stolen.)

The U.K. licences have a big paper counterpart too and, if you read the 'small print', neither is valid without the other.

TOmmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can just go in and get another one but it will cost you
    It costs €5 but you must complete form D800 and get it stamped in a Garda station declaring that your license has been stolen/lost/destroyed.

OP - Why can't you get a purpose made leather cover to put it in. That's what I do. They are readily available in leather shops, luggage shops, stationers etc

Advertisement