Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

Oh I know yeah but not with an eagle perched on top of it. Did you look at the picture?
    And I'm not saying he is anything, I was hoping someone would have a little info about the guy, long shot as it was.

goo wrote: »
    Oh I know yeah but not with an eagle perched on top of it. Did you look at the picture?
    And I'm not saying he is anything, I was hoping someone would have a little info about the guy, long shot as it was.

Melvin Costa, 4-0 in KOTC. Has a tattoo on his head bambambigelow style too.

Prediction time once again!

Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin - Silva by whatever, cant see franklin taking this one at all.

Tim Sylvia vs. Brandon Vera - I really hope Vera wins and I hope Im not letting that blind me but I read the article about how he had big 6"8 guys in training with him and he was read for the reach etc and i think Vera is the technically better fighter so im going with him by TKO...please god!!

Kalib Starnes vs. Alan Belcher - Tough one to call imo, both are nearly men in breaking into the lower regions of the uppers tiers of MMA but im gonna go with Belcher by TKO.

Eric Schafer vs. Stephan Bonnar - Bonnar by TKO, i think he'll be too big for Schafer.

Yushin Okami vs. Jason MacDonald - This one could be a lot more competitive than people think but i still think its Okami by decision.

Josh Burkman vs. Forrest Petz - Burkman but i dont know a lot about Petz honestly.

Jorge Gurgel vs. Alvin Robinson - Hope this gets televised but i doubt it. Im gonna go with Jorge by dec in potential FOTN.

Dont know enough about the other fights to make judgement.

I put a euro on Silva, Okami, Vera and Schafer, because I really like them all basically haha.
    Apparently Jason MacDonald has been telling everyone that himself and Okami got dropped to the undercard because Okami is a boring fighter, and that it has nothing to do with him. I like him but I hope he gets knocked with a dragon punch in the first round, I can't stand that stuff. Supposedly Joe Silva told him this to his face, so I'd say he's not just coming up with this in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Apparently Jason MacDonald has been telling everyone that himself and Okami got dropped to the undercard because Okami is a boring fighter, and that it has nothing to do with him. I like him but I hope he gets knocked with a dragon punch in the first round, I can't stand that stuff. Supposedly Joe Silva told him this to his face, so I'd say he's not just coming up with this in his head.

Seeing as the UFC have only scheduled four fights for the live card so far, I'd say they're a bit paranoid about putting a fifth fight on live in case it ends up boring. They'll probably just pick the best fight from the non-televised portion and stick it on tv anyway. And in fairness, Okami is a pretty boring fighter. The same could be said for Lyoto Machida, and his fight at the last UFC show didn't seem to get many people excited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Neil1984, do you use mmaplayground at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lw

Breaking News: Brock Lesnar Signs With The UFC
    10/20/2007 by Matthew Boone

It was confirmed during the UFC 77 "Hostile Territory" pay-per view that former WWE superstar, turned recent MMA star Brock Lesnar has signed a deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

No announcement was made on when, where or who he will fight against, but this comes as a complete shocker as no one had reported anything about this prior to tonight's event.

We will get on the story to try and get as many details for you as possible in the near future.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/article.php?articleid=194944631

Neil1984, do you use mmaplayground at all?

I use a lot of sites but havent looked at that one. ill check it out once Ive seen the rest of 77 so far Ive only seen the 2 main fights.

Spoilers below along with some opinions.

One right and one wrong. thought vera was gonna win the dec after the 2nd rd, not to be. Vera was doing very well on the outside he ignored his corners advice and tried Greco again in the third, probably buoyed by his takedown in the second but his corner were right, he cshould have resorted to kicks for Rd 3 and IMO he'd have taken it 29-28. Sylvia gets away with it cos he's so big he can stall his way to the W. I hope Nog finishes him. As for Silva - Franklin, well to be honest the only thing that suprised me was that it got out of Round 1 but then again franklin got saved by the bell so whatever. I knew it wouldnt last long when i saw Franklin go to his corner, he was mentally gone.

Im some spa...had classes today and slipped home for the hour at lunch to watch some fights and ended up missin about 20 mins of the afternoon lecture :(

lw wrote: »
    Breaking News: Brock Lesnar Signs With The UFC
    10/20/2007 by Matthew Boone

It was confirmed during the UFC 77 "Hostile Territory" pay-per view that former WWE superstar, turned recent MMA star Brock Lesnar has signed a deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

No announcement was made on when, where or who he will fight against, but this comes as a complete shocker as no one had reported anything about this prior to tonight's event.

We will get on the story to try and get as many details for you as possible in the near future.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/article.php?articleid=194944631

Yea i saw that. Strange though, i thought they were gonna announce Wanderlei's opponent for Dec on sat.

5 out of 7 in the ol predictions.....cant believe that Jorgo lost.

Gutted that Vera didnt beat Sylvia, Tim gets away with crappy boring gameplans like that cos he's so much bigger. As for Anderson Silva...I dont even think he was goin at 100% of what he can.

• Advertisement

So annoyed by Sylvia making faces at the ref and "saying come on Brandon" when whenever he was in control of the fight he used his spare 2+ stone to hold him against the fence. Brandon hit a tonne of uppercuts.

So annoyed by Sylvia making faces at the ref and "saying come on Brandon" when whenever he was in control of the fight he used his spare 2+ stone to hold him against the fence. Brandon hit a tonne of uppercuts.

Thats Sylvia to a tee, he's a joke. The guy is a stall merchant and prattles on about his right hand and knocking people out and he firmly believes that he's a great striker. Worse still, did u see the "Tale of the Tape" on Saturday saying "Ends most fights via KO"....now the UFC are trying to rescue his rep with misleading statements ignoring that of all the top quality opposition he has fought....Arlovski, Couture, Ricco, Mir, Monson, Vera he is 5-3 and of those 5 wins only 2 of them were by KO. His overall UFC record is 8-3 I think when u include Telligman, Cabbage and McGhee and he is 8-3 with 5 KO's making his KO wins at 45%.....not quite "most fights" is it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Some good fights last Night, what a gash Starnes got, ouch !!
    totally agree with the Sylvia thing, I reckon Lesnar would sort his boring A$$ out
    I cannot stand sylvia so seeing him get beat up by a former pro wrestler would amuse me greatly
    I'd like to see him hold Lesnar against the cage for 15 minutes :D

Silva was awesome
    Who the hell can provide a fight for him now in that weight division :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Silva was awesome

Hendo has talked about moving down, Hughes has talked about moving up.

At the moment at middleweight there is really no clear No. 1 contender however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dragan wrote: »
    Hendo has talked about moving down, Hughes has talked about moving up.

At the moment at middleweight there is really no clear No. 1 contender however.

Wanderlai Silva was spotted in a gym by Mike Sawyer of www.f4wonline.com. They talked for a while and said Silva was at most 200lbs in weight. I think he could make 185 given that he was probably on the gas in Pride.

Obviously a long shot though.

Hmmmm, Silva vs Silva.....now that would be a highly interesting fight!!

slyvia won the fight convincingly, anyone complaining about the way in which he won should go back to watching wwe.

slyvia won the fight convincingly, anyone complaining about the way in which he won should go back to watching wwe.
    No, Im sorry but that argument doesnt work for me. He can fight however he wants that much is true but he lauds himself as a knockout artist but keeps putting on these stallfests. He basically wins the fights by not letting the other guys do anything more than anything he offers offensively.

That "go back to watchin WWE" sh*t that some fans come out with when talking about snooze-fests doesnt fly with me when a guy is doing what Sylvia has been doing and even Randy said it about him citing the reason he came out of retirement being that "Tim keeps putting on these boring fights and stalling his way to victory, im not gonna let him to that Im gonna bring the fight to him" U gonna ask Randy to go back to watchin WWE as well?

And he didnt win "convincingly". He won. Convincingly winning = KO/Sub or mauling dominating decision. he didnt tick any of those boxes for me or anyone on any of the other forums I read.

Hmmmm, Silva vs Silva.....now that would be a highly interesting fight!!

They trained together for a very long time at Chute Boxe before Anderson left. To be honest i think Wanderlei is gonna stay at LHW.

My opinion would be that Vera lost. He let his ego dictate the fight and rather than heave leg and body kicks into Tim for 15 mins he was clinching, which was silly.

That said, Tim did a good job of holding his range so he could strike but Vera was finding it hard to set up kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Sylvia won the "I bet I can hold you against the cage for 15 minutes and do nothing and then taunt my opponent for doing nothing when infact I am the person that is as entertaining as a rotting corpse" fight convincingly :p

My opinion would be that Vera lost. He let his ego dictate the fight and rather than heave leg and body kicks into Tim for 15 mins he was clinching, which was silly.

That said, Tim did a good job of holding his range so he could strike but Vera was finding it hard to set up kicks.

I agree completely. The one thing Tim did well besides stall Vera on the fence was to mostly stay out of kicking range. Unfortunately thats about all he did and he never even came close to finishing the fight. and when u consistently laud yourself as a KO artist and then pull that kind of rubbish out when u almost always have a massive size advantage it is very painful both t watch him fight and to listen to him goin on about how great he is when he refuses to take the initiative as the bigger man.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Silva was awesome

Henderson, Lindland, Paulo Filho, Denis Kang.............Hell if David Terrell was to come back and fight to his ability he certainly has the top game ability to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

It didnt even look like Silva was going 100%

Vera needs to drop down or take his training regimen more seriously.

Grice vs Black was an awesome fight.

There is definitely a conflict of interest between Professional Combat Sports and Sports Entertainment. The only reason why Pro MMA guy Joe Bloggs is able to get into the ring/cage and fight is because there's 100/1000s of people willing to pay money to sit/stand and watch and more people willing to pay for the PPV. So who is the most important person in this relationship? The person putting their face on the line or the person putting their hand in their pocket?

Fortunately, I find strategic contests like that between Tim Sylvia and Brandon Vera interesting, I'm not trying to pretend I'm an MMA connoisseur (3/4 years ago I wouldn't have known who Wanderlai Silva or Randy Couture were). Obiously two men stepped in with two game plans, one applied his, and the other didn't couldn't.

I think it's important to point out that Brandon Vera was the one stepping out of the outside striking range and going for the clinch and basically hugging Sylvia for the duration of the 3 rounds. He got one take down and did nothing with it. Tim Sylvia wanted to "stand and bang" as JR says but Vera was constantly stepping in and clinching (despite what his corner was saying). Other than 2nd class postage stamp telegraphed (as WW would say) high kicks BV threw, he didn't really do much (IMO of course) to go and win that fight. Was anyone worried for a sec that Brandon Vera would knock TS out? Not me.

dunkamania wrote: »
    It didnt even look like Silva was going 100%

Vera needs to drop down or take his training regimen more seriously.

Grice vs Black was an awesome fight.

Silva had Franklins number and he knew it. Astonishing to think he was probaby operating on about 70% of his ability!

Vera broke his hand which probably stopped him from setting up his strikes as well as he'd have liked. I do agree, I think he'd be better suited to 205lbs due to his size.

Havent seen the undercard fights yet.

There is definitely a conflict of interest between Professional Combat Sports and Sports Entertainment. The only reason why Pro MMA guy Joe Bloggs is able to get into the ring/cage and fight is because there's 100/1000s of people willing to pay money to sit/stand and watch and more people willing to pay for the PPV. So who is the most important person in this relationship? The person putting their face on the line or the person putting their hand in their pocket?

Fortunately, I find strategic contests like that between Tim Sylvia and Brandon Vera interesting, I'm not trying to pretend I'm an MMA connoisseur (3/4 years ago I wouldn't have known who Wanderlai Silva or Randy Couture were). Obiously two men stepped in with two game plans, one applied his, and the other didn't couldn't.

I think it's important to point out that Brandon Vera was the one stepping out of the outside striking range and going for the clinch and basically hugging Sylvia for the duration of the 3 rounds. He got one take down and did nothing with it. Tim Sylvia wanted to "stand and bang" as JR says but Vera was constantly stepping in and clinching (despite what his corner was saying). Other than 2nd class postage stamp telegraphed (as WW would say) high kicks BV threw, he didn't really do much (IMO of course) to go and win that fight. Was anyone worried for a sec that Brandon Vera would knock TS out? Not me.

My point is that I wouldnt care for him at all either way if he waasnt always goin on about knockin dudes out and then counterstallin his way to victories even tho he almost always has a size, weight and reach advantage.

Sylvia could easily have broken the clinch and had Vera pinned against the fence to unload strikes, he never once did this. remember it was Tim leading into Brandon most of the time not the other way around. At least Brandon was constantly looking for foot sweeps and leg trips to attempt the takedown. Tim didnt try to take BV down and thus was happy to just hug him for 15 mins and throw the odd knee or elbow. BV was looking for the takedown in fairness to him. The takedown he did get was in the worst position for him cos his movement was highly limited by the fence. He couldnt safely transition to North South, he couldnt switch sides on his sidemount and mounting him at that angle to the fence is both difficult and risky cos he wouldnt have been able to put all his weight on Tim because he wouldnt be able to rest on his knees on the side closest to the fence thus leaving him off balance. So he had to stick to the position he had. He landed some nice knees to the body but u could see his intention was to work into the moutn. Unfortunately for him the fence was limiting him as we saw when he tried to transition to knee ride and got shoved off. Id have liked to have seen how Brandon would have done if he had that position in the middle of the mat.

BV landed some nice left hooks as well as a peachy body kick and some nice leg kicks. Tim did a decent job of shuttin down his kicks in fairness to him. BV is the more technically skilled and refined fighter, Tim just gets away with it over and over again cos he's so big.

Pretty much exactly how i view that fight as well. Maybe the broken hand really threw Vera as he couldn't use combo's he had been working on?

Either way, i watched that fight and thought to myself that it was all Vera's decision that were having an impact on the fight.... Tim simply went with it an won.

Pretty much exactly how i view that fight as well. Maybe the broken hand really threw Vera as he couldn't use combo's he had been working on?

Either way, i watched that fight and thought to myself that it was all Vera's decision that were having an impact on the fight.... Tim simply went with it an won.

Yeah, presumably a broken hand would effect his striking! The only other thing I'd be critical of is that Brandon Vera didn't seem overly disappointed he won. I'm just wondering if he really went in with the intentions of winning a hard fought match. Did he really expect to just walk in and knock him out or take him down and submit him? Randy took it to TS for 5 rounds and grinded out a classy win, BV kinda half went about the job, and when it was over, I don't think he really cared less. You know, BV losing a boring decision to TS probably doesn't do much negativity for his career (obviously winning would be massive).

• Advertisement

Yeah, presumably a broken hand would effect his striking! The only other thing I'd be critical of is that Brandon Vera didn't seem overly disappointed he won. I'm just wondering if he really went in with the intentions of winning a hard fought match. Did he really expect to just walk in and knock him out or take him down and submit him? Randy took it to TS for 5 rounds and grinded out a classy win, BV kinda half went about the job, and when it was over, I don't think he really cared less. You know, BV losing a boring decision to TS probably doesn't do much negativity for his career (obviously winning would be massive).

Brandons a very level and laid back dude, not the sort of guy who'd be havin a nervous breakdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement