Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I don't mean that. I mean I don't think he gave it 100% effort to win. Kimi Raikonnen is a fairly laid back dude, but if he went and screwed up the last lap last night I'm pretty sure he'd be pretty angry with himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

I was disappointed with the event tbh, not one of UFC's best.

Anderson Silva looks awesome, I'm not sure there is anyone who can take him on.

I was disappointed with the event tbh, not one of UFC's best.

Anderson Silva looks awesome, I'm not sure there is anyone who can take him on.

Rogan put it best, the night of the fence clinching. Anderson Silva was deadly but even that fight was so one sided it was embarrassing for Ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I became a fan of Tim Sylvia's last night. He does what's needed to win fights. If his opponents aren't capable of dealing with his size, then that's their problem, not his. I don't care anymore if he's not trying to finish fights, because he's still trying to win them. He doesn't seem to get why most people don't like him though, he looked kinda sad during his entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I loved the hilarity of Sylvia saying that Kongo was picking on people smaller than him, and calling him out. He neglected to mention that he's four inches taller and 45 pounds heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fozzy wrote: »
    He doesn't seem to get why most people don't like him though, he looked kinda sad during his entrance

I watched his fight with Ricco last night, the one where he KO'ed Ricco to win the Heavyweight Belt the first time out.

The crowd loved him. When he walked in they were cheering, when he dropped Ricco and the fight was stopped the place errupted.

Tim used to get love, he doesn’t anymore for two reasons.

1) The smaller of the two reasons, he is now a boring fighter. He stalked Ricco, traded with him, went to ground with him, stuffed his takedowns and threw him around the place. During that fight Tim was a predator, no doubt, he looked impressive as hell. Now he's boring, stalling out fights. He needs to get his edge back.

2) The biggest reason. He's a drug cheat. Nothing kills you quicker in the public eye….at least nothing since Balco anyway. He gets no respect because when he was at his best, when people really did support and appreciate him, he was lying to them.

Nobody likes that.

Dragan wrote: »
    I watched his fight with Ricco last night, the one where he KO'ed Ricco to win the Heavyweight Belt the first time out.

The crowd loved him. When he walked in they were cheering, when he dropped Ricco and the fight was stopped the place errupted.

Tim used to get love, he doesn’t anymore for two reasons.

1) The smaller of the two reasons, he is now a boring fighter. He stalked Ricco, traded with him, went to ground with him, stuffed his takedowns and threw him around the place. During that fight Tim was a predator, no doubt, he looked impressive as hell. Now he's boring, stalling out fights. He needs to get his edge back.

2) The biggest reason. He's a drug cheat. Nothing kills you quicker in the public eye….at least nothing since Balco anyway. He gets no respect because when he was at his best, when people really did support and appreciate him, he was lying to them.

Nobody likes that.

U hit the nail on the head there. Add in about all the sh1t he talks and thats about it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Has anyone bought official UFC gear on ebay or other websites for a good price? If so can you give me details of the seller, i want to make sure the stuff is official. Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

The biggest reason. He's a drug cheat. Nothing kills you quicker in the public eye….at least nothing since Balco anyway. He gets no respect because when he was at his best, when people really did support and appreciate him, he was lying to them.

Nobody likes that.

:eek: I didn't know that.

Now I have another reason to dislike him.

:eek: I didn't know that.

Now I have another reason to dislike him.

Yea he got caught for roids and claimed he was using them cos he didnt like the look of his body!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Yea he got caught for roids and claimed he was using them cos he didnt like the look of his body!
    I'd actually believe that - I don't like the look of it either. The dude's supposed to be a professional athlete - you'ld think he'd get his posture sorted at least, never-mind the spare tyre.

I don't think that is the biggest reason, I doubt the majority of UFC's fans know anything about him being caught for steroids as it was before the big boom of last year. I remember it being mentioned on one of the UFC PPVs after he returned from the suspension that he took steroids, and they laughed it off because he said he used them to get a better body. UFC haven't mentioned anything about their guys using steroids on air since then. Sylvia did pass his drug test when he first won the belt though

www.mmaweekly.com

Randy has called a press conference today regarding some statements Dana made about his contract. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Dana said that Randy had the 2nd highest paid contract after Chuck
    But Randy was always of the opinion that alot of other fighters were earning more money that him within the UFC organisation (maybe through bonuses etc)

It will be Interesting to hear if he has a go at Dana/the UFC about this ?

Bear in mind that Randy did commentary and ambassadorial work for UFC. Every UFC event he spends about an hour after the main event just walking around signing autographs.

Randy's press conference is at 4:30pm US time today and it's being broadcast on HDNet, which is owned by Mark Cuban who recently set up his own MMA promotion

The UFC scheduled their own press conference for 4pm today though, guess which one the media will be more interested in?! Chuck, Wanderlei and Lesnar will be at the UFC conference

Smart move by the UFC trying to downplay Randys departure.

Personally i think MMA should be about the fighters not the orgs but there ya go.

Hope Randy has figured out a way to go to M-1!

EDIT: How was it that BJ Penn was able to go to K-1 while under UFC contract (as champ before he was stripped) without the legal ramifications that Randy is said to face??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

EDIT: How was it that BJ Penn was able to go to K-1 while under UFC contract (as champ before he was stripped) without the legal ramifications that Randy is said to face??

From the UFC point of view Penn was not a big enough name back then. Randy is approaching household name status in the States right now......if UFC can't have him then they will shut him down.

Also, the Penn's have the money and resources to make any legal battle very long and very drawn out for the UFC.....they didn't have the coin back then that the do now.

I guess we'll wait and see what today brings. Betcha Dana wont answer questions about The Natural

Betcha Dana wont answer questions about The Natural

I'd say he will. He's not the sort of guy to duck questions really, is he?!

The UFC's press conference will be streaming at http://sports.yahoo.com/mma;_ylt=Av_MuVOCREvob_jqg5_qYWg5nYcB at 9pm Irish time and Randy's will be on http://www.proelite.com/home a half hour later

• Advertisement

Read about the pressers this morning on www.mmaweekly.com.

Randy says he felt unappreciated. Looks like he's free to fight again in 9 months but at the same time I would bet a lot that Dana does everything he can to stop that happening.

The Ultimate Fighter is signed up on Spike TV until at least season 12 with 2 seasons a year to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Yeah I was going to say people should check out Randy's. The big thing is that he doesn't want to fight anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Check out what Kim Coutoure has to say,she gives a bit more colour on the situation than Randy.

http://xtremecouture.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/kim-couture-reacts-to-her-husbands-retirement/

Was anyone else watchin The Ultimate Fighter last night?!

More to the point, did anyone else see Dan Barrerra slippin outta trainin to go shadowbox and flex in the mirror with his pants around his ankles!!

Yea I saw that unfortunate shadow boxing Incident
    Did you also notice the unfortunate Judges decision for the fight, that was a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Yea I saw that unfortunate shadow boxing Incident
    Did you also notice the unfortunate Judges decision for the fight, that was a disgrace

Utter nonsense, that judges decision was near perfect. Barrera was getting picked apart standing, then he landed one punch followed by nothing. He stuffed one takedown then ran away for the rest of the round. How does that equal winning a round?

There's also an argument for a 10-8 round in the second.

DROC

droc wrote: »
    Utter nonsense, that judges decision was near perfect. Barrera was getting picked apart standing, then he landed one punch followed by nothing. He stuffed one takedown then ran away for the rest of the round. How does that equal winning a round?

DROC

No, I scored the first round to Barrerra by a hairline. He got the knockdown (which is worth more than 5 or 10 leg kicks imo) and landed as many clean shots from the clinch as Ben did from the outside, Ben landed a nice knee towards the end of the round but the knockdown and the stuffed takedown seales it IMO. Also Ben spent a lot of the round on his back doing just as little as Dan so that has to be scored neutrally, he could have thrown up kicks after all, he did nothing either.

The second round was a 10-8 to Ben imo because he absolutely destroyed Dan while Dan backpeddaled almost the whole round, so while I agreed with the decision in terms of the outcome, as usual I think the judges got it wrong in their scoring of the fight.

DROC

Well Dana White, Matt Hughes and even Matt Serra disagree with you
    It should have gone to a 3rd IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

DROC

Agree 100%. I was surprised that the guys on the show thought barerra won the first round. I guess maybe it looked a little different from the sidelines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement