Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I felt that Rd 1 was very close,and at least 1 judge would have given it to Ben, so I wasnt surprised about not having a third.Does anyone know how they scored Rd2,seemed like a clear 10-8 to me.

Abusing the judges,not smart at all by Hughes.Barrera would have defo lost rd 3 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Pretty much agree with the lads. The only argument I'd make, is a slightly irrational one, is that it was fairly close (not as close as EvilClown might think) and with only two rounds fought they should have given it another round just to make sure. Especially as it was a kind of knock out tournament.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/10/30/ufc-officials-rebut-randy-coutures-pay-claims/

More revalations,at this stage I am fairly confused.Randy hasnt responded to these allegations asfaik.I really dont understand what Randy is trying to achieve.Its been suggested that Randy's contract has loopholes that would allow him to fight Fedor in M1,also rumours that he could coach a training camp in a revamped IFL, or maybe he just wants to be a movie star. :confused:

Aside from Randy v Fedor,the matchup I would most like to see would be Silva v Hendo for a unification title fight.At this point Lidell v Wando doesnt interest me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

UFC 80 in Newcastle either 12/19 Jan. I was there in June and been looking for a reason to go back ever since. I think I've found it.
    I love the UFC, but I think the Octagon will be only one of a few things to look at that night if past experience is anything to go by!!

Also, Sunderland v Pompey on the 12th and Toon Army v Bolton on 19th, so some good footie fare to get into first.

Just watched the extras on UFC 70, Bisping " the British love fighting, they love boxing, wrestling and even fighting at football matches ". Classy Mike, very classy.

After episode 7,Hughes coaching has really been called into question.He seemed to pick a team that was on paper stronger,but they have severely underperformed.Mac Danzig aside,Hughes team are going in without proper gameplans or mental preparation.During the fights all you here is Serra cornering non-stop,Hughes is alot quieter.Hughes reactions to losses,is to push them harder and berate them.Serra seems to be able to call fights with a high degree of accuracy,whereas Hughes is amazed his guys are losing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

TUF Episode 7
    I read before the series started that at the end of it you'd think of Matt Hughes as a dick, and that's excactly how it's looking. He's been beating up his fighters in training and overworking them and intimidating them so that when they get into the octagon they're unprepared. Serra's the complete opposite, he's able to motivate his guys in a friendly manner and there's a much better atmostphere about his team that has to have helped them

Hughes looked so stupid in this episode. He thought that his fighters weren't performing because he wasn't pushing them hard enough and Dana told him to bitchslap them around, despite the fact that he's been doing that every single week! And yet again it lead to one of his fighters going into the fight injured. I felt bad for Jared, he seems to be one of the more talented guys on the show but Hughes prevented him from performing

If Danzig ever stands up to Hughes, a fight between those two could do big money for UFC sometime. As it is I'm dying to see Serra vs Hughes, I've been a fan of Serra for about as long as I've been a fan of MMA

Jared choked.

Serra called it.said he was a tuff guy who wasnt there to fight.

As per usual this series,Serra was right.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Jared choked.

Serra called it.said he was a tuff guy who wasnt there to fight.

As per usual this series,Serra was right.

Thanks a million for ruining that for me, nice one. Its in Fozzys sig, just use spoiler tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Sean Sherk is going to remain the UFC's lightweight champion, but B.J. Penn and Joe Stevenson will fight for a lightweight belt at UFC 80 in January in Newcastle, England, UFC president Dana White said Friday.

The winner of that bout would then presumably face Sherk once Sherk's status is defined by the commission.

White said heavyweights Gabriel Gonzaga and Fabricio Werdum would meet in the co-main on UFC 80.
    thanks fozzy it is easy

Re UFC 78: After David Terrell was forced to withdraw from his UFC 78 bout against Ed Herman due to an ankle injury, veteran middleweight contender Joe Doerksen has decided to step up to face the Ultimate Fighter 3 finalist on November 17th at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

Doerksen (39-10), a native of New Bothwell, Manitoba, Canada, will be returning to the UFC for the first time since his March 2006 bout against Nate Marquardt at UFC 58. Since his last Octagon appearance, the 30-year old has won seven of eight bouts (all wins coming via submission or TKO), with his only defeat coming at the hands of current WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho. In ‘Short Fuse’ Herman (15-4), Doerksen will not only be facing a hard-charging up and comer who is currently riding a two fight UFC winning streak, but he will be squaring off against a fighter eager to get some payback for a 2004 submission loss to the Canadian.

Well no suprises there, was waiting for Terrell to pull out with another injury.

BJ vs Stevenson is for the interim LW title. Just like the fight between Arlovski and Sylvia (first one) was for the interim HW title, or Randy vs Chuck 1 was for the interim LHW title. Basically its when thre champ cant defend his title but hasnt been stripped, his position as champ becomes questionable and he is no longer "undisputed" so they have an interim champ. The undisputed champ is then the winner of the fight between the champ and the interim champ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

People here watch Bravo, right? And watch the UFC and TUF on Bravo AFAIK.

As such, once it has aired on Bravo, it's no longer a spoiler. As for fights that aren't televised in Ireland/UK, once they've been broadcasted they're no longer secrets (since we all know the method through which these are watched).

With that in mind, this is a thread that shouldn't need spoilers, unless you're getting access to UFC/TUF before it's aired on Bravo.

My 2c.

Colm, TUF is aired on Bravo on Monday nights so its still a spoiler.

God bless the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Dave,

Put in the spoiler tags. It's no skin off your nose.

dunkamania wrote: »
    God bless the internet

Yea I didnt watch it online this week cos I didnt get the time. Can ya put the tags on from now on please just if its before Mondays anyway.

Apoligies,will do going forward

I'm not sure that keeping Sherk as the champ is a good idea by Dana. If he loses his appeal and he's not stripped, the UFC will lose some credibility, and I doubt that it'd sit well with the athletic commissions for future dealings

Dana doesnt have alot of credibility to lose,this doesnt help.
    He is saving his friend based on a technicality.Sends a clear message regarding drug abuse to other athletes.Its not smart giving the two fingers to the CSAC either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I don't really see him giving two fingers to anyone to be honest.

Sherk failed his test by a tiny margin.....practically nothing to the level that Royce failed by for example.

Sherk has appealed the the CSAC have yet to hand out a suspension. Why should Sherk be stripped of his title if he is not even officially suspended yet?

Sherk should be stripped if and when he gets his appeal rejected,Dana says he isnt gonna penalise him either way.

Failing by a small margin isnt a reflection of the amount you took,it suggests you are better a taking it,and Sherk had stopped a week earlier then he would have gotten away with it.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    I don't really see him giving two fingers to anyone to be honest.

Sherk failed his test by a tiny margin.....practically nothing to the level that Royce failed by for example.

Sherk has appealed the the CSAC have yet to hand out a suspension. Why should Sherk be stripped of his title if he is not even officially suspended yet?
    Neither do I for the most part. We'll see how he reacts to the outcome of the appeal before passing judgement on Dana's attitude to it.

The margin that he failed it by was small relative to the legallimit but the legal limit is very high to accomodate the benefit of the doubt type cases. Personally I belive Sherk is guilty but thats just an opinion. The reason I think that is based on that fact. The fact that Royce had more of it in his system means nothing to me. Sherk could just as easil have been caught coming off a cycle. However the way the Athletic Commission have handled it all is woeful.

The UFC have no reason to strip Sherk yet. They will strip him if his appeal fails, theyve already said that no action will be taken until all the facts are known. They had BJ vs Sherk lined up for Nov before the failed test, then they had BJ vs Sherk or BJ vs Joe lined up for Decemeber pending the outcome of the case. then when it got moved back again they made it for the interim title in January. If Sherk fails then itll be for the vacant title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'm not sure if DW is doing the correct thing. On the one hand, I respect the fact he's trying to look after his own man and not making a scapegoat out of him and ****ing his career up. But at the same time, he's showing a lot of favouritism, he probably wouldn't be so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to others. Like if Cristiano Ronaldo tested positive and negative for steroids in the same way as Sherk did and FErguson went on record as giving him his full support of his innocene blah blah blah despite what the premiership said I could understand that. But I think Dana White's position isn't the same, he's more like the premiership top executies and the commission is like Fifa, they kinda should backing each other up.

They will strip him if his appeal fails

You mustn't have heard, Dana said they won't be stripping him of the title even if he does fail his appeal. His reason was that the CSAC have handled the case badly

It really is woeful,CSAC are delaying the hearing by 2 weeks so all members can fully cover the material provided by Sherk's lawyer.Csac are slow,but they havent handled it particularly badly,even if they had,if his appeal fails,he loses the belt unless there is a suspicion the ruling is corrupt.

Sherk's appeal hearing will now be on December 4th

Fozzy wrote: »
    You mustn't have heard, Dana said they won't be stripping him of the title even if he does fail his appeal. His reason was that the CSAC have handled the case badly

Thats an absolute disgrace. I like Dana, I think he takes too much flak even though he is a bit of a mouth but this is too much.

Evan Tanner's website says that he has signed a four fight deal with the UFC. That's good news, I've always liked him but he seemed to be having some hard times recently. He also has a note up about someone stealing a load of gear that UFC just gave him

Fozzy wrote: »
    Evan Tanner's website says that he has signed a four fight deal with the UFC. That's good news, I've always liked him but he seemed to be having some hard times recently. He also has a note up about someone stealing a load of gear that UFC just gave him

If u were on his myspace receently u would jhave seen the shh1t about his alcohol problems. The guys a mess but he seems to be getting himself together. i really like evan, hope he comes back.

How is everyone calling Rashad vs Bisping.
    My money is going on Rashad, Bisping doesn’t have the size advantage over Evans that Tito had.
    Bisping has also decided to train in the UK which I think is a huge mistake.
    I think Rashad is gonna be lookin to finish the fight, standing and on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Yeah, I'd go for Evans as well. His stand-up should be at least a match for bisping's and he's certainly a better wrestler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement