Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It all depends. Rashad could have had Tito but never finished him.

Bisping got beat by Hamill but end up earning the decision.

I think Bisping has a lot to prove in this fight while Rashad seems to be thinking he's the bigger name here. That could be the downfall of Sugar in this fight.

Personally i want to see the winner take on Machaida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I think Evans will win this one easily. He is better on the ground and his standup is unorthodox and he will never ever run out of gas, i think Bisping will get tired because the pace will be too much for him and Evans will pick him off.

My money is on rashad to win a boring fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

You may be right, on the other hand, both fighters have alot to prove, both will be looking for distinctive wins, especially with title shot implications for the winner. It has the potential for a very good main event, whether or not it will live up to it is another thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I see Rashad winning, I just don't think Bisping will have what it takes to beat him

Dana's done a U-turn on the lightweight title issue, he said at a press conference today that if Sherk's suspension is upheld then he will be stripped of the title

It's the 14th anniversary of UFC 1 today

And a note from the Wrestling Observer:
    In the U.K., Setanta Sports is getting away from offering UFC European events on PPV, and is going to move it to the regular subscribers channel instead of putting it as a stand-alone event

Didn't you have to be subscribed to Setanta to buy the PPVs anyway? That will just mean that Setanta subscribers will get the events for free now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Fozzy wrote: »
    Didn't you have to be subscribed to Setanta to buy the PPVs anyway? That will just mean that Setanta subscribers will get the events for free now

I didn't think so, but I didn't buy 72 or anything. 75 was free anyway, I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

UFC 70 (Crocop v Gonzaga) was on PPV. The others since were on normal setanta subscription channel.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5057&zoneid=13

I knew id read before that dana was gonna strip sherk if found guilty. However he did use the word "probably" which does instill a bit of doubt!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5057&zoneid=13

I knew id read before that dana was gonna strip sherk if found guilty. However he did use the word "probably" which does instill a bit of doubt!

That's what he said originally. Then at the start of this month he stated that he won't be stripping Sherk of the title. That link is about a press conference yesterday where Dana said that he'll probably strip Sherk of the title if his suspension is upheld. The fact that he's moved away from not stripping him suggests that he will be stripping him, I don't think there is much doubt. If the suspension is upheld that is

The backlash over him saying he wouldnt strip him,was probably stonger then expected. He looks fairly foolish for going back on what he just said. It means BJ vs Daddy will be for the title.Anyone else going?

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »
    The backlash over him saying he wouldnt strip him,was probably stonger then expected. He looks fairly foolish for going back on what he just said. It means BJ vs Daddy will be for the title.Anyone else going?

I think it will still just be for the interim title, with the undisputed champion being whoever wins between the interim champ and Sherk

Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida signed for the end of the year UFC PPV. I know Sokoudjou is still sort of an unproven entity, but I can see that fight being awesome

The New Year card is brilliant. Come on Matt!
    The WEC card on December 12th is mental too, looking forward to that.
    There's no way the Sherk decision is going to be overturned, but he might get it reduced to 6 months, meaning he'd be able to fight the winner of Penn - Stevenson (exciting fight) straight away, so I guess beat KenFlo again (or someone else...) around the time of the title fight and then fight for the belt in April or whatever? If the decision isn't overturned then Sherk isn't the champion, no question.

Phil Baroni has made a lot of people sketchy about the piss tests in California, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few months. I guess it always is... Dana's offering Minotauro to Randy this week apparently, and presumably a truck full of money, "it'll be interesting to see what happens...".

For a card with so much promise,the action disappointed.

Bisping-Rashad No winners in this match,Rashad gassed, neither fighter looked great. Again, Bisping does himself no favours in his post-fight interview. How did he see himself winning RD 1 or 3?

Karo-Chonan Great match on paper, but just never really got going. Chonan is probably better suited in the WEC than UFC.

Houston-Silva Houston weak ground game was exposed, once he was on his back ,it didn’t look like he had a plan. Better performance from Silva although doubts remain over his cardio.

Fisher-Edgar Edgar‘s takedowns were better than expected, spencer never got too unload, but Edgar needs to work guard passing. Not the fight of the night extravaganza it was expected to be.

Herman-Doerkson Better standup from herman, though a bit wild. He was very lucky to make it into rd 3.

News that made my day-Hendo Anderson in March.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2007/11/18/anderson-silva-to-face-dan-henderson-in-march/

Not the best show by UFC standards. Fisher just couldn't do anything off his back, fair play to Edgar but he just wasn't able to finish the fight and Fisher never really looked in trouble, he just wasn't able to stay off the ground

Doerksen and Herman wasn't great at the start. If the second round had gone a few seconds longer that might have been it over. Doerksen got caught when they were both punching sloppy

Karo was able to get Chonan down, but he wasn't able to pass his guard at all. He got swept too. I don't even think he did enough to merit a win, but I suppose there has to be a winner

It's a pity about Houston Alexander, UFC were really onto a star with him. If he had won this fight in impressive style again then his next fight could have been a big money fight. He was completely lost on the ground. Dana's probably kicking himself over that. Thiago's setting himself up to be a contender in the light-heavyweight division now, along with the other dozen guys

Bisping and Evans showed that they're not as good as the UFC were building them up to be. Neither of them looked like a legitimate contender here. I think Bisping has an argument for winning round three, he was better at the stand up I thought, and he got a takedown, not sure if it came after the bell though. I'd have given it to Evans though

Good job Hendo, that's a match to look forward to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Karo was able to get Chonan down, but he wasn't able to pass his guard at all. He got swept too. I don't even think he did enough to merit a win, but I suppose there has to be a winner

I

I think that's unfair. Karo battered him and dominated the majority of the bout, it was a boring match but Chonan never looked like doing anything. Was Randy in Karo's corner but the camera and mics were avoiding him? I thought I heard his voice once.

Reminiscent of the way TUF never seem to mention Robbie Lawler's name.

I think that's unfair. Karo battered him and dominated the majority of the bout, it was a boring match but Chonan never looked like doing anything. Was Randy in Karo's corner but the camera and mics were avoiding him? I thought I heard his voice once.

Reminiscent of the way TUF never seem to mention Robbie Lawler's name.

I don't mean that Chonan should have won, only that the average winning performance is a lot better than what Karo did. I had to laugh when the fans booed louder when he mentioned that he'd been having personal issues

Randy was on camera the whole time that Karo was getting vaselined up. He had a cap on, so you mightn't have spotted him if you weren't looking for him

Apparently the undercard was a lot better than what went out on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I thought that was a pretty crappy UFC. Houston alexander tried to finish a guillotine while he was being pinned from side control, he has a lot to catch up with the grappling. I don't like Ed Herman, and after he was saved from that juicy triangle I like him less. No particluar reason, its just fun being a fan and hating some fighters and supporting others:p

Fedor will be fighting Hong Man Choi on New Year's Eve in Japan for HUSTLE, a pro-wrestling promotion that had the same owners as PRIDE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I get the feeling the legend of Fedor is going to fade away unless M1 line him up some proper fights pretty quick.

• Advertisement

The legend of Fedor in Japan will stay strong with this. He's fought on New Year's Eve there for the last 4 years I think and he's said that he wanted to do it again because he never got a proper opportunity to thank the Japanese fans when PRIDE got sold. I thought M-1 said they were going to announce his opponent for February already though

Valmont wrote: »
    I thought that was a pretty crappy UFC. Houston alexander tried to finish a guillotine while he was being pinned from side control, he has a lot to catch up with the grappling.
    I think it was Joe that brought this up a million times during and after the fight. It was clear to me that he was trying to recover guard after getting his arm around Thiago's neck. Fair enough it didn't work, and it wasn't likely, but its not as if he just sat there in half expecting Silva to tap. I thought it was real ****ty of Joe to slag Houston's ground game not just in the commentary but in the ring interviewing Thiago too. It looked ****, but you can't really tell from one fight, can you?
    Fedor will be fighting Hong Man Choi on New Year's Eve in Japan for HUSTLE, a pro-wrestling promotion that had the same owners as PRIDE
    Interestingly enough the list of "confirmed" names flying around for New Years has no mention of Choi, which is exciting news. The only guy on the list anywhere near heavy is Arona though, which I guess wouldn't be a new experience for Fedor considering he fought Lindland. I'm surprised M-1 is letting him fight New Years, considering he's their main man and they're supposed to be looking to have a show in February. Not like anyone's expecting him to get hurt, though. That list, for anyone who hasn't seen:

Fedor Emelianenko
    Joachim Hansen
    Ricardo Arona
    Gilbert Melendez
    Luiz Azeredo
    Aoki Shinya
    Kazuo Misaki
    Tatsuya Kawajiri
    Hayato “Mach” Sakurai
    Mitsuhiro Ishida
    Hasegawa Hidehiko

The possible lightweight matches there are amazing. Aoki - Melendez or a Aoki - Sakurai rematch.
    Dragan wrote: »
    I get the feeling the legend of Fedor is going to fade away unless M1 line him up some proper fights pretty quick.

Yeah, Jeff Monson? Then Barnett maybe...

goo wrote: »
    Interestingly enough the list of "confirmed" names flying around for New Years has no mention of Choi, which is exciting news. The only guy on the list anywhere near heavy is Arona though, which I guess wouldn't be a new experience for Fedor considering he fought Lindland. I'm surprised M-1 is letting him fight New Years, considering he's their main man and they're supposed to be looking to have a show in February.

Yeah, the event Fedor is fighting on isn't being promoted by HUSTLE either, it's the debut show for a new promotion which is controlled by the people who used to run PRIDE. Although I'm pretty sure some of them are involved with HUSTLE anyway. They say they're in talks with other former PRIDE fighters too. If they were somehow able to get a tv deal together then we could be seeing the second coming of PRIDE

Fedor's getting paid $1.5 million for his fight. M-1 haven't said how much they're getting, but you'd have to believe that it's a nice sum of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Fedor is always entertaining to fight whether he's fighting a freak show or not. I think Josh Barnett, Jeff Monson and Pedro Rizzo all offer legitimate challenges however I don't think any of them have the real credentials to beat Fedor, with Josh having the strongest chance. I think either of those 3 would also match up well against Alexander Emelienko or Roman Zenstov too with those fights being more competitive. I still think Randy is the most interesting opponent for Fedor but a Fedor fighting any of the Top UFC heavy weights would be fantastic also.

It's a real pity, but Matt Serra got a herniated disc on Monday in training and his fight with Hughes is off now. I was really looking forward to that fight more than any other recently

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

It's a real pity, but Matt Serra got a herniated disc on Monday in training and his fight with Hughes is off now. I was really looking forward to that fight more than any other recently

Really annoyed with that. I hope it's not too short notice to get a replacement to fight Hughes. GSP? And the winner gets a fit Serra. I'd be happy enough with that.

Thats left only one active champion in UFC at the minute. Sherk: suspended, Randy: resigned, Rampage: supposedly injured and now Serra out for a while.

Aftre the dissapointment of 78, this is the worst possible situation for Dana.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

goo wrote: »
    It was clear to me that he was trying to recover guard after getting his arm around Thiago's neck. Fair enough it didn't work, and it wasn't likely, but its not as if he just sat there in half expecting Silva to tap. I thought it was real ****ty of Joe to slag Houston's ground game not just in the commentary but in the ring interviewing Thiago too. It looked ****, but you can't really tell from one fight, can you?

He only tries to recover guard after 10 seconds of squeezing a guillotine that would never work. Silva ends up in half-guard first (here, Alexander doesn't even try to close his legs, he just goes for the head again). Alexander then lets his legs straighten giving Silva the mount. Alexander bridges about 5 times over a minute and 20 secs (most of them weak) all the time just holding Silvas head down without trying to hip escape or anything. Then Silva sticks his leg straight out giving Alexander buckets of space to slide under and escape and he still just tries to grab Silvas head and pull him down. He then gets knocked out.

All thse are signs of someone with no ground game at all (even someone who is just bad at bottom game will bridge more or even turn and give up his back) and the fact that they all happened in one fight means nothing: Alexander has no bottom game.

He only tries to recover guard after 10 seconds of squeezing a guillotine that would never work. Silva ends up in half-guard first (here, Alexander doesn't even try to close his legs, he just goes for the head again). Alexander then lets his legs straighten giving Silva the mount. Alexander bridges about 5 times over a minute and 20 secs (most of them weak) all the time just holding Silvas head down without trying to hip escape or anything. Then Silva sticks his leg straight out giving Alexander buckets of space to slide under and escape and he still just tries to grab Silvas head and pull him down. He then gets knocked out.

All thse are signs of someone with no ground game at all (even someone who is just bad at bottom game will bridge more or even turn and give up his back) and the fact that they all happened in one fight means nothing: Alexander has no bottom game.

Haha, I didn't rewatch the fight, maybe I should have...
    Kazooie wrote: »
    Really annoyed with that. I hope it's not too short notice to get a replacement to fight Hughes. GSP? And the winner gets a fit Serra. I'd be happy enough with that.

That'd be a sketchy idea, GSP's being saved. Whichever Matt wins GSP's title shot is huge, but if GSP fought Hughes now then they'd have one title shot instead of two, and they'd have to wait a fair amount of time for whichever one of them won to recover before fighting Serra, and sure apparently GSP's injured now too. I have no idea about back injuries though, will this take ages? The only scheduled title fight in the UFC right now is in March, that's crazy. They should have Hughes move up to 85 to take on Anderson Silva. Or have Wandy and Chuck do best out of three.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear the conference call yesterday? ill have to search for a link, ill post it later but basically Hughes went to town on Serra. GSP said he's in shape from training for rashads fight and that he was half expecting one or the other to get injured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement