Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I was really impressed by Bravo squashing so many fights in to the three hours.
    It was seven overall, wasn't it? They didn't show Goulet v Paul Georgieff (is that spelling awful?) or Mitchyan v Dorian but we got everything else I think.

I wish they did all the events like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

goo wrote: »
    I was really impressed by Bravo squashing so many fights in to the three hours.
    It was seven overall, wasn't it? They didn't show Goulet v Paul Georgieff (is that spelling awful?) or Mitchyan v Dorian but we got everything else I think.

I wish they did all the events like that.

That wasn't Bravo, it aired the same way on Spike TV in the US. They wouldn't have been able to show the undercard fights if some of the live fights hadn't been so short, although Mitchyan vs Dorian was the shortest of the lot, wouldn't have minded seeing how that went

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Just saw the J-Roc V War Machine fight. Excellent bout. What are peoples opinions of Forrest and Rampage being confirmed as the coaches for the next series?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

fozzy i posted a link on the previous page it has allthe figts from the night, including the Mitchyan vs Dorian bout. enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »

Thanks, that was a nice showing. I had him down for a 1st round submission on MMAPlayground too, makes it all the sweeter!

From the Wrestling Observer:
    Monte Cox and the M-1 crew are in Dallas today in a closed-door meeting with Art of War to finalize a Fedor Emelianenko vs. Pedro Rizzo fight that would tentatively take place in Las Vegas in April. Money terms have been agreed and the meeting is to fnialize a deal and sign the contracts.

Fedor's opponent for New Year's Eve still hasn't been announced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

What are peoples opinions of Forrest and Rampage being confirmed as the coaches for the next series?

When they where going on about big news i thought they where going to introduce a new fighter or something decent! i like both but its hardly exciting news, tuf is dropping ratings all the time and its going to drop even more next year-Some of the fighters are really low standard.

bilbo79 wrote: »
    tuf is dropping ratings all the time and its going to drop even more next year-Some of the fighters are really low standard.

Maybe thats why Rampage is one of the coaches, he is the most charasmatic fighter the have, and Forrest remains one of the most popular fighters around. On the quality of fighters on the show the winner of this series ould possibly end up facing Anderson Silva or Dan Henderson at some stage so hope there is some real quality on this series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

THere was alot of criticism for UFC for not marketing rampage properly, this goes along way to counteract that.Point a camera at Rampage and its great TV, assuming he can coach even a little.

Dana came out and send the standard would be much higher next season,remains to be seen, but at least they acknowledge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Dragan wrote: »
    The Heurta - Guida scrap really was some fight. Potentially fight of the year ( that's two that Heurta has been in now ).

Jayroc Vs War Machine was also a fantastic fight!

Both of these fights were amazing real back and forth stuff, i was on the edge of seat, the end of Jayroc /war machine fight was sensational as was the Huerta /Guida ending, if you haven't seen either fight try and see them very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Why don't they get mma coaches to be coaches on the ultimate fighter rather than mma fighters? I hope rampage brings his coach/manager with him and Forrest gets some help from Randy. I'd like to see someone like greg jackson do it. I think this fight is coming too early for Forrest, I really can't see him beating Jackson. Don't get me wrong, FG is legit, I backed him to beat Shogun, but Rampage...

Why don't they get mma coaches to be coaches on the ultimate fighter rather than mma fighters?

Do you really think that the average UFC fan would watch a show with Greg Jackson and Pat Miletich as the main guys? It's all about ratings

Don't get me wrong, FG is legit, I backed him to beat Shogun, but Rampage...

Rampage was beaten by Shogun therefore Griffin better than Jackson:D. No I agree this fight might be just a little early for him but he will have plenty of time to prepare. TUF 7 diesnt begin to April and runs for 12 weeks so at least July before title fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

this is a great thread hope yous keep it runing you guys are doing a great job of keeping me updated anyway it saves me having to go on to other mma sites for the latest news

keep up the good work

Rumours still doing the rounds that Hong Man Choi might be in the picture for a Fedor fight, possibly in a modified k1 rules bout. Not liking the sound of it at all.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Rumours still doing the rounds that Hong Man Choi might be in the picture for a Fedor fight, possibly in a modified k1 rules bout. Not liking the sound of it at all.

Not liking Fedor's opponent or the modified rules? A newspaper in Korea quoted one of the promoters involved in making the match and he said that they're in talks with Hong Man Choi but if nothing is finalised by the end of the week then they'll be looking for a different opponent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hong Man Choi, Jeff Monson, Pedro Rizzo.....and so begins the demise of Fedor.

Should have gone to UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Huerta vs. Guida was a brilliant fight, there was slams, near knockouts and a nice submission. Hopefully all these brilliant lightweight fights will let the UFC know that they should have a proper lightweight main event - how about Huerta vs. Tyson Griffin main event UFC 84?

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    Hopefully all these brilliant lightweight fights will let the UFC know that they should have a proper lightweight main event - how about Huerta vs. Tyson Griffin main event UFC 84?

Isn't that what they're doing with UFC 81? Penn vs Stevenson for the lightweight title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Fedor is fighting in an environment where all the best fighters have to come to him if the want to fight him. How can you critisise that? If Nog gets bashed in his next fight I'll reconsider my opinion on Fedor deciding not to join the UFC. If Nog wins...he did the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fedor is fighting in an environment where all the best fighters have to come to him if the want to fight him.

I disagree, just like anyone else, if they want to fight him the promotion has to want to sign them.

Too many people are signed up with too many other promotions. For me, the fight i really want to see is Josh Barnett Vs Fedor, and Barnett has been sitting there for months saying he was not signing with anyone until he knew where Fedor was going as he wants to fight the best in the world.

Fair play to the chap.....but frankly the guy who is considered the best in the world should really be fighting in the org with the deepest talent pool, and right now thats the UFC.

Personally, i will need to see Fedor take on some quality opponents and soon, or in my mind that title of P4P Best in the World may just be changing hands.

Josh Barnett may say he is waiting to see where Fedor goes but, its not like he has many other options. THe UFC want nothing to do with him, so if he wants to get paid, his best shot is Fedor

Fozzy wrote: »
    Isn't that what they're doing with UFC 81? Penn vs Stevenson for the lightweight title

oops forgot that one. maybe because I'm used to seeing Penn as a welterweight.

Either way I definitely think Huerta vs. Griffin would be a great main event, it's almost a guaranteed brilliant fight

Fedor vs Hong Man Choi is official: http://www.yarennoka.com/

They're competing under rules "similar" to PRIDE's rules. The Wrestling Observer said last night that the rumours about the rules being changed to only allow stand up or limited time on the ground aren't true, and that the changed rules will just be some sort of variation/combination of PRIDE's and the UFC's rules

Gonna cheer for Hoi on this one.

Fedor will find it difficult to stay top of anyones rankings after this:mad::(

I wouldn't take this fight too seriously, Fedor wasn't going to fight on New Year's Eve until he decided that he wanted to say a proper goodbye to the Japanese fans. The whole event was basically conceived just so Fedor could have a fight in Japan on that day

Regarding the Sonnen vs Filho fight
    he didn't tap, but I don't blame the ref for stopping it, he made a noise and his face looked in pain, thats a submission in itself according to most rule books, he was all over filho though

• Advertisement

He is claiming he was saying "no" as in he was ok, and that the ref apoligised after, but Dana says he was ringside and that he screamed, and only said no after ref stepped in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement