Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Apparently Ryan Gracie died in prison...

About him getting arrested:
    http://thefightworkspodcast.com/2007/12/14/ryan-gracie-arrested-in-sao-paulo/
    About him dying:
    http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/8912/2007-12-15.html

I read about it originally on Fightopinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

jesus christ :0

I saw him fight at least once in Pride.
    I think it was his fight against Shungo Oyama that I'm remembering, but whichever one it was he looked really impressive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

christ, I was wondering why he hadn't fought lately, sounds like he went a bit wayward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

At the HDNet Fights event last night, Randy Couture said that he's not retired and that he wants to fight Fedor when his UFC contract expires. His fighting contract expires in June next year and he has another contract (his commentary contract I think) with the UFC that expires in October and he said that after that he's prepared to fight Fedor. He also said that if the UFC decides to co-promote with M-1 Global that the fight will happen sooner, but I think that's fairly unlikely

Randy will be almost 46 by then and Fedor probably won't be the number 1 ranked heavyweight in most people's minds by then either, but it'll still be an interesting match if it does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Thought Randy's contract was out sooner..Alos apparently Andrei A is not goin to fight in the UFC again which is a disappointment!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5285&zoneid=2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

I was just watching the hdnets event from last night, don't know if anybody else saw it, but in the Espiricueta vs. Osterneck fight, it seemed like Osterneck had to tell the ref to end the fight. Espiricueta wasn't too upset, so bad refereeing by Terry Hadley(?)

Alos apparently Andrei A is not goin to fight in the UFC again which is a disappointment!
    Could be him trying to make the UFC scared but I don't know. Nowhere else would make sense, but if I was him I'd be pissed with the UFC too.
    cletus wrote: »
    I was just watching the hdnets event from last night, don't know if anybody else saw it, but in the Espiricueta vs. Osterneck fight, it seemed like Osterneck had to tell the ref to end the fight. Espiricueta wasn't too upset, so bad refereeing by Terry Hadley(?)
    I only saw Mayhem and Trigg's fights, do you have a link?

Thought Randy's contract was out sooner..Alos apparently Andrei A is not goin to fight in the UFC again which is a disappointment!

U can relax now!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5292&zoneid=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Huertas next fight is romour to be kenny florian
    Bisping v Leben
    Only rumours on mma weekly radio:D

Bisping is done if he cant smash Leben

This is interesting:http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5290&zoneid=13

Id be interested to see that re-match (not as a main event) as I thought Vitor was robbed in that decision personally.

On a sidenote i absolutely cannot wait for the next UFC.....its only 12 days away!

Shogun and Ninja have left Chute boxe to start a new team in America, wonder who'll theyll get to train with them.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5298&zoneid=13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

vitor was robbed against tito but I don't think we'll see him in the UFC again. The steroids are probably the biggest issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

They could have picked a better picture that Vitor getting hit.

What's the viewing schedule for the next UFC on Bravo?

http://rajah.com/base/node/10402

Pretty interesting if it's true. A fight that everyone wants to see but obviously Dana has no interest in trying to promote anymoe.

They could have picked a better picture that Vitor getting hit.

What's the viewing schedule for the next UFC on Bravo?

Be on at 9 or 10 on Sunday the 30th as per usual Id imagine, gonna try and stay away from watching the fights on stream this time cos all my mates wanna watch it and its never the same buzz when u know the results.

Is it on in Redz?

http://rajah.com/base/node/10402

Pretty interesting if it's true. A fight that everyone wants to see but obviously Dana has no interest in trying to promote anymoe.

Typical UFC, putting themselves before the fans once again.

On a sidenote, I finally got to see Urijah faber vs Jeff Curran last night, man Faber is really on a tear at the moment, rumours that his next fight is with jens, would love to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I don't think it is to be honest. The UFC is a business and run like one as it should be. At the moment most casual MMA fans have no idea what M1 is, if they were to co-promote a fight of this magnitude with them this situation would change drastically, in effect they would have created competition for themselves, which makes no sense to do.

Like everyone else I would love to see this fight before time runs out for Randy, but it doesn't look very likely unless it happens like Rocky vs Apollo 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The UFC went above and beyond what they have offered anybody to get Fedor.

Thats true they did do all they could to get him yet when they didnt get him what happens? Dana comes out and says he is not even a top heavyweight. Whats the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Bisping is done if he cant smash Leben

Bisping is dropping a weightclass, his next fight is supposedly Charles McCarthy

true, Leben reports were false.

It sounds like UFC went out of their way to find another victory for Bisping. If he loses, he is done

Dana comes out and says he is not even a top heavyweight. Whats the point?

You promote and push the fighters you have. Not the fighters you don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    true, Leben reports were false.

It sounds like UFC went out of their way to find another victory for Bisping. If he loses, he is done

In fairness, if i was judging the fight against Rashad i would have given the win to Bisping.....i just think he did more in that fight. Just me though.

Bisping will be a big guy at 185.....a very big guy.....i would go so far as to say he will be a completely different fighter. As long as Silva has the belt, and with Hendo down there now as well though he will never be a champ....but he can knock up enough wins at 185 to get into the title picture.

The UFC went above and beyond what they have offered anybody to get Fedor.

And yet their insistence on a non compete clause for bleedin Russian sambo let him slip outta their grasp.

I don't think it is to be honest. The UFC is a business and run like one as it should be. At the moment most casual MMA fans have no idea what M1 is, if they were to co-promote a fight of this magnitude with them this situation would change drastically, in effect they would have created competition for themselves, which makes no sense to do.

Like everyone else I would love to see this fight before time runs out for Randy, but it doesn't look very likely unless it happens like Rocky vs Apollo 3
    Im sorry but this goes back to their days of everyone wanting PRIDE's best vs UFCs best. They hardballed then as well. Maybe Im just bitter so many dream matchups havent materialised cos of them. They want MMA to be all about UFC and not the fighters and fans.

I know what you are saying about the business end though, but as a fan they are perceived to be blocking some big fights, both past and present. Look how long it took to get Silva - Liddell, it took PRIDE going down. Now we get 2 guys who are probably past their prime, Im still excited as hell but when u think about it, how awesome would it be if this were in 2002-2005.

And yet their insistence on a non compete clause for bleedin Russian sambo let him slip outta their grasp.

It was way more complicated than that. His manager wanted to co-promote the UFC in Russia as well as have contracts for other fighters in his team.

The UFC really tried to get him. But you can only give so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Wasn't it more Silva and PRIDE's fault that the match with Liddell never happened?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement