Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It was way more complicated than that. His manager wanted to co-promote the UFC in Russia as well as have contracts for other fighters in his team.

The UFC really tried to get him. But you can only give so much.

Bingo, Red Devil were very much playing hardball with the UFC. You don't sign subpar fighters to the biggest MMA promotion in the world just to get one guy.

Then everyone would be complainging about Red Devil Fighter A,B and C taking up space on cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

To be fair to the UFC they did send Chuck over to fight in the Pride GP which should have set up a final against Wanderlei, only for that minor hiccup with Mr. Jackson.

If anybody gets a chance, check out the Valencia - McCall fight on the latest WEC card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Dragan wrote: »
    Bingo, Red Devil were very much playing hardball with the UFC. You don't sign subpar fighters to the biggest MMA promotion in the world just to get one guy.

Then everyone would be complainging about Red Devil Fighter A,B and C taking up space on cards.

I'm not trying to nit pick but some of the guys that fought in the UFC by way of TUF would not be of the same calibre of many of Fedor's training mates he wanted contracts for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I'm not trying to nit pick but some of the guys that fought in the UFC by way of TUF would not be of the same calibre of many of Fedor's training mates he wanted contracts for.

Oh and i completely agree. However, they did strongarm the UFC into giving them spots. They went for the show, got on for whatever reasons and took as much advantage of the point as they could and were offered what the UFC felt they were worth.

Thats a bit different Fedor being a great fighter and saying "i'm not joining the ranks unless Sanya and Nicholi come with me".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Any guys from TUF are going to be more marketable to the UFC's main audience than any of Fedor's unknown training partners, even if they don't happen to be as talented. It's all about making money, something the UFC before Zuffa wasn't doing and something that the UFC of today is extremely good at

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Randy just needs to start training in sambo.
    hardCopy wrote: »
    If anybody gets a chance, check out the Valencia - McCall fight on the latest WEC card.

Yeah the end of that fight was crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Having trained with Ian McCall, the guys a stud, he may be slightly EMO but he's still deadly. haha.

Peace

Wow I went to log in to my yahoo email account and This:http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dd-sokoudjou122207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns was on the front page!! When u consider that Soku would really only be known to hardcore MMA fans thats great exposure! C'mon Sok, really want him to KO Machida!

Apparently Shinya Aoki is still fighting at Yarennoka, but I haven't heard about a possible opponent. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

"I never met Dana White, never spoke to him on the phone, never exchanged e-mails," Fedor said. "However, I did read a lot on the Internet about what he said in regard to me and Vadim []. I also read e-mails that he sent to Vadim; all of his correspondence was very upsetting. The contract that we were presented with by the UFC was simply impossible, couldn't be signed -- I couldn't leave. If I won, I had to fight eight times in two years. If I lost one fight, then the UFC had the right to rip up the contract. At the conclusion of the contract, if I am undefeated, then it automatically extends for an as yet unspecified period of time, though for the same compensation.

"Basically I can't leave undefeated. I can't give interviews, appear in films or advertising. I don't have the right to do anything without the UFC's agreement. I could do nothing without the OK from the UFC. I didn't have the right to compete in combat sambo competition. It's my national sport. It's the Russian sport, which in his time our president competed in, and I no longer have the right to do so. There were many such clauses; the contract was 18 pages in length. It was written in such a way that I had absolutely no rights while the UFC could at any moment, if something didn't suit them, tear up the agreement. We worked with lawyers who told us that it was patently impossible to sign such a document."

That's incredible. That's a quote from an article on sherdog about Fedor link that I originally read about on fightopinion.

Sorry, that's the last page of a three page article.
    Whole thing starts here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can understand how a fighter of Fedors Caliber would not like to have a large portion of his business especially sambo, determined by his contract. Sounds like Fedor did have a price but it wasn't necessarily cash, only a degree of autonomy.

I was most shocked by the If I won, I had to fight eight times in two years. If I lost one fight, then the UFC had the right to rip up the contract. At the conclusion of the contract, if I am undefeated, then it automatically extends for an as yet unspecified period of time, though for the same compensation bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Keep in mind that he would have been getting paid a lot more than anyone else that the UFC has ever had under contract as well. Plus, do you really think that the UFC would just release him if he had won 4, 5 or 6 fights against top guys and then lost one? If what Fedor said is true, I still think that his manager's demands were a lot greater than the UFC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

hey guys wats up just found this cool documentry these irish guys training in thailand ONE YEAR ON THE ROPES http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=16407

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

i thought that was just a wee clip but it's the whole 1hr40 of the documentary. I thought it might have been the other muay thai documentary about an irish guy in thailand but this one is our very own hammerhead gym.

Does anyone have a link for Wandy's All Access episode? To download or stream.
    No, I can't use torrents.
    Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

18 minutes? Yikes, is that because it was on MTV2 in America?
    Thanks a million, by the way.

• Advertisement

goo wrote: »
    18 minutes? Yikes, is that because it was on MTV2 in America?
    Thanks a million, by the way.

No Bother..Dailymotion is pretty good for MMA stuff, has lots of BJJ there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

any of you guys know if part 2 of the hammerhead gym documentry is out

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

The announcement that no one wanted to hear was made last night. Big Tim fighting for interim heavy weight title against big Nog.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5370&zoneid=13

Haha, ****. That is a bit disappointing.
    I wish I'd never heard the Kongo rumour...

TIm the "pain-iac" in another 5 round bore? Hope Nogueira can finish this early I really do.

TIm the "pain-iac".
    Is that a joke?

Pain in the ass, as in a pain to watch.

I don't mind cautious or "boring" fighters, in fact I really like some of them.
    I kind of hate Tim Sylvia for being a total hypocrite when it comes to boring fights, for taking steroids and for beating Jeff Monson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anybody else notice that Gomi was in the crowd. No acknowledgment from the cameras or commentators but it was him alright.

Strange to hear Joe Rogan mentioning Fedor again even though he's ruled himself out of fighting in the UFC.

Great night of fights that lived up to all of the hype. Sanchez - Palelei was the only real dud, I was watching on Bravo so was disappointed not to see Manny Gamburyan's fight.

My highlights:
    Clementi's slick omaplata; Machida's heel trip of Soko and GSP's transitions to get the armbar.

• Advertisement

Silva - Liddell

Good fight, i was a bit disappointed with the scoring though. Two judges scored the bout 30-27 which i think is bad. I think Silva won the first round and was winning the second until the cut.

Do the UFC use a 10 point must scoring system, if so can they score rounds 10-10 and 10-8. In that case i would have scored the bout 9-10,10-10,10-8 so 29-28 Liddell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement