Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The judges are pressured not to score rounds 10-10 and to always try to pick a winner. And there's got to be total domination for a 10-8 round to be scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭filament

Killme00 wrote: »
    Silva - Liddell

Good fight, i was a bit disappointed with the scoring though. Two judges scored the bout 30-27 which i think is bad. I think Silva won the first round and was winning the second until the cut.

Do the UFC use a 10 point must scoring system, if so can they score rounds 10-10 and 10-8. In that case i would have scored the bout 9-10,10-10,10-8 so 29-28 Liddell

i thought liddel had the first round clearly and that though the second was close i gave it to chuck again for more damage though i can see why some people scored it for wandy

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

http://mmajunkie.com/category/andrei-arlovski/

Arlovski to fight again in a couple of months. Wonder if we will see him on the same card as Brock's debut and the championship fight ufc 81?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The announcement that no one wanted to hear was made last night. Big Tim fighting for interim heavy weight title against big Nog.

As much as I hate Tim Sylvia (and I hate him as much as the Brian hates the Romans) he had one fight since dropping the belt which he won. He deserves a title shot more so than anyone else I can think. The fact that his fights are as exciting as watching paint dry should affect his fight purse, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Anybody watch Froydor? Kid? K1 Yorrenoka?

Peace

• Advertisement

I was watching Yarennoka live, posted a few things on it in some other thread here. There were a few really good fights, Misaki vs Akiyama and the main event standing out. I really liked seeing Fedor fighting again too. I don't think the event will have any effect on MMA in Japan though

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

http://mmajunkie.com/category/andrei-arlovski/

Arlovski to fight again in a couple of months. Wonder if we will see him on the same card as Brock's debut and the championship fight ufc 81?

His contract is to run out soon (April I think) and as he has one fight left that statement is expected. His last fight will be an undercard I bet. If he doesn't stay then Id settle for him fighting Fedor an M-1. Just wanna see the Pitbull back in action dammit!

Kazooie wrote: »
    His last fight will be an undercard I bet.

Ah, I doubt it. He was a big draw not so long ago and I think he could still persuade some people to buy a PPV. The UFC will still be paying him the same amount so they might as well stick him on their main card. The only draw back would be if he beat a decent heavyweight and then left, so they'd just have to stick him in against a lower level fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

wow 26 pages

just to let you know there is an irish dedicated mma forum here

www.ringoftruth.info

you can have a thread on every fight...rather than just 1 to cover every event :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

wow 26 pages

just to let you know there is an irish dedicated mma forum here

www.ringoftruth.info

you can have a thread on every fight...rather than just 1 to cover every event :D

But this way you can keep an eye on everything in one fell swoop !!!:)

• Advertisement

Anybody watch Froydor? Kid? K1 Yorrenoka?

Peace

I watched Yarrenoka "Fedor returns" and i have to say I enjoyed it, great live show for the crowd, it was really really like watching a pride event, it was Pride in everyway but name, goodfights, some nice subs and good action, a very good first show and a very promising start.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Fozzy wrote: »
    Ah, I doubt it. He was a big draw not so long ago and I think he could still persuade some people to buy a PPV. The UFC will still be paying him the same amount so they might as well stick him on their main card. The only draw back would be if he beat a decent heavyweight and then left, so they'd just have to stick him in against a lower level fighter

He still is a big draw and I wouldn't be surprised to see the UFC offer him a new contract. the heavyweight division is hardly stacked at the minute, and with the Randy stuation set to drag on and on they really need to keep AA if possibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I like Arlovski. I used to like the way he fights, and considering my first few years in MA were spent doing arts aimed at the knock out i used to love seeing him knocking heads back. But the simple fact is that somewhere along the way he lost the edge....whether it was being put down by Big Tim, or just the realisation that the lifestyle and the ladies would eventually go if that happened too much he got gun shy and he got slightly dull.

Strangely enough he got a tonne of time to work on it all and sort it out though. I hope to see him come back and come back strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Dragan wrote: »
    But the simple fact is that somewhere along the way he lost the edge....whether it was being put down by Big Tim, or just the realisation that the lifestyle and the ladies would eventually go if that happened too much he got gun shy and he got slightly dull.
    Haha what are you talking about?
    Tim's made everyone look **** except Randy, he's huge, and then if you're talking about the fights after that...he had one boring fight (Werdum) and then he knocked Pe De Pano Cruz out in less than 90 seconds. The fight with Werdum has been blown way out of proportion and came at a bad time for him, if he wasn't only contracted for one more fight they would've put him in with Eddie Sanchez and he'd be back on track.
    The reason he's been out for so long is that he wouldn't accept a massive blow in salary.

As boring as the Werdum fight was it would have been stupid for AA to go to ground with a guy like Werdum, there was a large percentage chance that he'd have lost. So he played it smart. the only criticism was that he didnt go in for the kill when it became apparent that Werdum had NOTHING for him standing (except a fadeaway bitchslap!!)

Personally Id still watch his fights, hes a good fighter.

www.bloodbrothersppv.com

Frank Shamrock vs Ken Shamrock

In only 350 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Ken won't last.

www.bloodbrothersppv.com

In only 350 days!
    actually word is its been brought forward to the end of March 08
    there is talk about it on Franks site
    http://www.frankshamrock.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2158

I think his strikeforce fights fell through with Renzo Gracie and Cung Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

This is a tough fight to call. Frank looked impressive against Baroni but I'm not sure if baroni was there 100%. His previous two fights against Renzo and Cesar Gracie don't tell me much. Ken on the other hand has got his ass whipped by Tito Ortiz who is a genuine contender.

I'd have to give Ken the advantage in terms of size, but Frank has the natural athleticism and youth. i think Frank could make the mistake of underestimating his older brother too...

I think frank should be favourite to win, by submission or TKO but I wouldn't rule out the underdog winning by decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

www.bloodbrothersppv.com

In only 350 days!

Anybody know what weight this is being fought at?

I wonder if they'll have year-long training camps.:p

• Advertisement

I'd guess that they'd do something like a 195lb catch weight. If Frank's fight with Cung Le is off then that's a pity. The San Jose crowd seemed really up for it and it would have been a great atmosphere as well as a decent fight I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Shamrock by foot-lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hmmm....another fight happens that is really just no longer relevant.

A few years ago this was a fight....now it's just Frank beating Ken and telling everyone he was better all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Is there bad blood between the two? Why on earth would you fight your brother(half)? Unless of course he is hogging the playstation on ya...

They didn't get on for years, I think Frank blamed Ken for not supporting their adopted father (or the other way around). Now I think they get on well enough to do business with each other. They're both masters at promoting fights though, so you can expect to hear a lot of hatred out of the two of them before the fight. I think that this fight really has the opportunity to do big business (in terms of what promotions not called UFC do) if they can get enough people to hear about it. If they were able to get an hour or two on tv to promote it then I think they'd get a lot of interested people

Good news, Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le is confirmed for March 29th

UFC 83: MARCH 8, 2008 IN MANCHESTER, ENGLAND

-Michael Bisping vs. Charles McCarthy
    -Houston Alexander vs. James Irvin
    -Demian Maia vs. TBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

The Ken Shamrock who showed up for the first part of the Fujita fight could beat almost anyone, I HOPE and PRAY he show's up against Frank and rips him to peices.

However, there's no chance of that happening, Frank gets into the mode much more consistantly than Ken. Frank will out last Ken and TKO him.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭filament

They didn't get on for years, I think Frank blamed Ken for not supporting their adopted father (or the other way around).

yup, other way around
    and me and my brother kick the **** out of eachother all the time, it's perfectly natural

• Advertisement

The Ken Shamrock who showed up for the first part of the Fujita fight could beat almost anyone, I HOPE and PRAY he show's up against Frank and rips him to peices.

However, there's no chance of that happening, Frank gets into the mode much more consistantly than Ken. Frank will out last Ken and TKO him.

Peace
    A lot of people reference that fight but in all fairness he sprawled about 4 times and landed about 3 or 4 nice leg kicks and some nice punches. Fujita was hardly in that much trouble though. Then he gassed and asked his corner to throw in the towel complaining about heart problems. The post fight medical showed that he was just horrendously gassed.

And that fight was nearly 8 years ago, that guy is gone.

Frank will win this one pretty easily and I hope he does too. i always liked Frank, lost a lot of my fanfare for Ken over the last few years, he needs top just hang em up. Kens only chance is in the first minute. Ken is 3-7 in the last 8 years (and hes 0-4 in his last 4) while Frank is 4-1 in the last 8 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement