Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The WCO event was called off due to a lack of cash (they did not have enough to pay the fighters). Small orgs should try and build up slowly, their card had a lot of big names who would want a lot of cash. Here is the full story http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=10787

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Ken Shamrock and his son Ryan will be fighting on the Cage Rage event in March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

dunkamania wrote: »

Spicy.

Seems like this ones set to drag on for a while yet. best case scenario is we get Randy vs Fedor...cos I sure as hell dont care about the politics behind it and who gets what for it, I just wanna see it!!

Lads check out the first pic on this article. http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5497&zoneid=2

Look at the blood comin out of Stevensons head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

just watched the main events again, after seeing them live, and what you really do not pick up at all is the amount of booing Sean Sherk received when he was interviewed after the main event, he got such a hostile reception it was unbelieveable! Aside from that great atmosphere and great weekend !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I was there too, and Sherk's reception was crazy. I loved the line BJ said: "Sean Sherk, you're dead!"

It was great that the Paul Taylor Vs Pauil Kelly fight got bumped from thr undercard to the broadcast. They really went at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

According to www.mmajunkie.com Ortiz has accepted a fight with Machida in May in what is expected to be his last fight in the UFC.

"Ortiz has one fight left on his current deal, and he’s been working toward a new one for more than six months. However, even bypassing UFC President Dana White and working directly with UFC co-owner Fertitta brought no resolution.

“They said I wasn’t worth the money, I was worth no more than what I’m getting paid now, and I’m not a commodity to them anymore — I’m not as viable to them anymore,” Ortiz said. “That was a sign of disrespect.“

Ortiz earned $210,000 for both his UFC 73 and UFC 66 fights.

Ortiz also reasoned he should leave the UFC because, with White running the show, he’ll never get a title shot again."

With the 205 being so stacked right now will he be missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think Tito is a prime example of how money can ruin a fighter, he said after the Rashad fight that he wanted to take time off to get rid of all his injuries and then it turned out he was doing The Apprentice TV show in the states.

When Tito was champion there wasn't even near amount of high class fighters that there is now, i don't think he has had a really standout victory in his career so if he goes then it wont be much of a loss,the UFC has plenty of talent now and none of them have an ego like Ortiz.

People miss the point with Tito, I have no interest in seeing him fight again, but alot of ppl do. Below is a list of PPV buys over last couple of years, behind Ortiz would be number 2 draw, behind Liddell, note the UFC 66 ppv especially. I am not so sure UFC should be letting Tito go, Dana's personal feelings aside. Tito could add legitamcy to a lesser organisation.

UFC 57 - Liddell v. Couture III - 400,000
    UFC 58 - Franklin v. Loiseau - 300,000
    UFC 59 - Ortiz v. Griffin - 425,000
    UFC 60 - Hughes v. Gracie - 620,000
    UFC 61 - Ortiz v. Shamrock II - 775,000
    UFC 62 - Liddell v. Sobral II - 500,000
    UFC 63 - Hughes v. Penn - 400,000
    UFC 64 - Franklin v. Silva - 300,000
    UFC 65 - Hughes v. St. Pierre - 500,000
    UFC 66 - Liddell v. Ortiz - 1,050,000
    UFC 67 - Silva v. Lutter - 400,000
    UFC 68 - Slyvia v. Couture - 540,000
    UFC 69 - St. Pierre v. Serra - 400,000
    UFC 71 - Liddell v. Jackson II - 675,000
    UFC 72 - Franklin v. Okami - 200,000
    UFC 73 - Ortiz v. Evans - 425,000
    UFC 74 - Couture v. Gonzaga - 520,000
    UFC 76 - Liddell v. Jardine - 475,000
    UFC 77 - Franklin v. Silva II - 325,000
    UFC 78 - Evans v. Bisbing - 325,000
    UFC 79 - Liddell v. Silva - 600,000

• Advertisement

Tito won't be fighting anywhere other than the UFC. He'll be back. He's holding out for more money and the fact is that he's worth it. He mightn't be the best fighter anymore, but he is one of the most marketable

But if he isnt a good fighter then his fights wont be marketable anymore,nobody will pay to see Tito against some nobody,i would say that there are at least 10 fighters in front of Tito for a title shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

It's not necessarily the best fighters that make the best fights, see Paul taylor and paul kelly from the last ufc.

tito and vitor
    tito and frank shamrock (probably wouldn't happen in ufc)
    tito and rashad evans II

there are plently of people out there that would make great drama and fights for ufc and tito.

Gintonious wrote: »
    But if he isnt a good fighter then his fights wont be marketable anymore

Not true. Nearly 6 million people tuned in to see Tito's last fight against Ken Shamrock, and that wasn't all due to either guy being a good fighter. It was because they were two big personalities who knew how to promote a fight and there was a conflict between them that people wanted to see resolved

If Tito keeps talking the talk the way he does then there's always going to be some people who love him and a lot of people who hate him and who'll pay to see him get his ass kicked. It won't matter whether he's a good fighter or not, as long as he gets people as interested in his fights as he has done in the past and at least puts on a somewhat entertaining fight

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-lesnar012108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Well at least brock brings the sure bet of publicity with him. UFC gain from this and it covers over the loss of Tito.

It's not necessarily the best fighters that make the best fights, see Paul taylor and paul kelly from the last ufc.

tito and vitor
    tito and frank shamrock (probably wouldn't happen in ufc)
    tito and rashad evans II

there are plently of people out there that would make great drama and fights for ufc and tito.

All of the fights u mentioned are rematches. But I agree, id like to see the first twwo for sure. The Rashad fight was the most broing of the 3. An in-shape Vitor vs Tito would be very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Tito is no where near earning a title shot in the division. If he were to be offered one it would be done purely because of his name, not his recent record.

A draw with Rashad,
    losing to chuck,
    two wins over Shamrock,
    a hard fought decision victory over Forrest which (imo) should have gone the other way.

This does not a contender make.

Ortiz needs to fight more often, and against more talented people.

Here's hoping Machida racks Tito up.

Win,loose or draw I cant (hope) see Tito fighting in the UFC again, his big issue is that,although he claims he can do business,he cant bear being in the same room as Dana,he is the one talking all this crap about Dana,not the other way around.

I would fully understand if Dana and the UFC didn't even offer him a new contract,from what I can see the UFC have more marketable and better fighters than Tito so whatever void is left from Tito,it will be filled very quickly.

Gintonious wrote: »
    he is the one talking all this crap about Dana,not the other way around.

Dana's said his fair share about Tito and Jenna as well. Here's an example from last year:
    The guy (Tito Ortiz), I’m telling you, he’s not the brightest bulb on the porch. He’s a complete moron and what’s scarier is that he doesn’t think he is. He thinks he’s intelligent; he thinks he’s smart and articulate. So that’s a scary combination.
    That’s two idiots together. That’s even worse, that’s double idiot power right there. That’s his manager, whom I’ve had to talk to on the phone several times and I’d rather talk to this table right here then have a conversation with that moron again.

http://www.thefightsite.co.uk/ufc/white-trash-talks-jenna-jameson.html?Itemid=1

There was a thread about Samy schiavo signing, looks like he's bein thrown in in the deep end, which is a funny thing to say bearing in mind his opponent is 1-3 in his last 4

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5531&zoneid=3

• Advertisement

Woah, he'll have his hands full

it be so much handier if ppl said what was in the link they link to. </grumpykev>

it be so much handier if ppl said what was in the link they link to. </grumpykev>

Meh, i was tryin to add suspense!!

For all who come along from here, its Clay Guida, there i said it!

Surprised Sammy is facing Clay in his debut, still as unofficial gatekeeper for the division, a win could have huge implications.

Well a win over guida would still keep him behind Tyson griffin, Aurelio, Huerta and of course Sherk so he'd be waitin a while but I dunno, Guida really won me over as a fan, hard not to root for the guy, lets just hope its a cracker.

Just got home from work and watched the UFN12. i wont post results but if u lads get ther chance watch Diaz vs Robinson, great ground work in the fight.

Just got home from work and watched the UFN12. i wont post results but if u lads get ther chance watch Diaz vs Robinson, great ground work in the fight.

I watched the event last night, I wouldn't recommend the show as a whole. I really enjoyed the start of Tavares vs Omigawa, it got kinda crap though. The Diaz vs Robinson fight was easily the best overall

Fozzy wrote: »
    I watched the event last night, I wouldn't recommend the show as a whole. I really enjoyed the start of Tavares vs Omigawa, it got kinda crap though. The Diaz vs Robinson fight was easily the best overall

Was it on Setanta?! Hopefully they start showing the UFN's cos I never get enough MMA!

No, it was showing on mma-tv.net, nice high quality stream

Do ppl rate Nate Diaz? i hate his personality and the way he speaks, but his two last fights in the UFC have been impressive. i hope manny comes back and rips his arms off though.

• Advertisement

Do ppl rate Nate Diaz? i hate his personality and the way he speaks, but his two last fights in the UFC have been impressive. i hope manny comes back and rips his arms off though.

I didn't see the series of TUF that he was on, but if his personality is anything like his brother's then I can't imagine I'd be a big fan of his. I really enjoyed watching him on the ground last night though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement