Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I don't want to sound like I hate decisions, but my favourite fights of the three I saw were definitely Cote - McFedries, Pellegrino - Crane and Robinson - Diaz. I wasn't that in to the main event, and it was like 4 and I have a cold haha. Omigawa - Tavares wasn't great either. Then I stayed up to watch the episode of Pros v Joes that came on afterwards, like a fool.

Does anyone have links for the undercard fights they didn't show? Apparently Corey Hill looked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

goo wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like I hate decisions, but my favourite fights of the three I saw were definitely Cote - McFedries, Pellegrino - Crane and Robinson - Diaz. I wasn't that in to the main event, and it was like 4 and I have a cold haha. Omigawa - Tavares wasn't great either.

I'd agree with that. If Swick wasn't so good at defending the takedowns it might have been more fun to watch that fight, but he didn't really do himself any favours there. It's funny with Tavares, because his previous fights have all been pretty exciting ones from what I remember
    Then I stayed up to watch the episode of Pros v Joes that came on afterwards, like a fool.

Haha, me too. Crap show but Kurt Angle was great on it

I'd say the undercard fights will show up on http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/ within a day or two. Haven't seen them elsewhere yet

Basically Swick didnt do anything bar defend the takedown, I disagreed with the decision to be honest considering Burkman was being more proactive about trying to do something. Swick was simply tryin to stop Burkman fighting as opposed to trying to finish him.

As for Nate Diaz, I think when he's given a wrestler with a ground game he'll go down the same route as his brother and start dropping a lot of decisions. So far his opponents have been good style matchups for him.

This isnt really MMA news but its interesting all the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrdlTtrseY

Just a vid I found of Mirko doing a skydive! Nice to see that even the hardest men out there are anxious about jumping out of a plane!!! Arlovski has talked about it in interviews too, apparently he jumps a lot!

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. If Swick wasn't so good at defending the takedowns it might have been more fun to watch that fight, but he didn't really do himself any favours there.
    It was a weird fight in the end, both of them seemed a bit cautious/limited. Some of the stuff Burkman was coming out with was hilarious, I guess he was just getting frustrated and did a shogun routine to relax. I'd have to watch it again, but based on what I remember I probably would have given it to Burkman. Swick did a great job of staying on his feet, but he was on his feet being held on to the cage. That's a credit to Burkman or certainly should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

No, it was showing on mma-tv.net, nice high quality stream

don't you mean the joe son do fan club ;)

It was a weird fight in the end, both of them seemed a bit cautious/limited. Some of the stuff Burkman was coming out with was hilarious, I guess he was just getting frustrated and did a shogun routine to relax. I'd have to watch it again, but based on what I remember I probably would have given it to Burkman. Swick did a great job of staying on his feet, but he was on his feet being held on to the cage. That's a credit to Burkman or certainly should be.

I agree. I thought Burkman won, was more aggressive and was actively trying to do something while Swick was tryin not to get atken down, albeit successfully.

Yea was very funny he threw a superman punch at the end and tried to shoot off of it! Very funny!

Anyone see Kurt pellegrinos cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Interseting piece of news. Liddell wants a rematch with Jardine

This week Chuck Liddell spoke to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer about his next fight in the UFC:

"My next fight will probably be in the summer and I am thinking about Jardine since Jackson is already scheduled to fight (Forrest Griffin). I can’t wait around (for Jackson). I love the sport and I think I have a couple years left in me. I’m a very competitive person. I don’t even like to lose at things I’m not good at.”

This would be a really interesting re-match. Dont think Liddell did himself justice in the first fight possibly looking past Jardine. If this happens I don't think he would make the same mistake again.

I think Chuck would be a lot more aggressive this time around i.e - hed fight for 3 rounds the way he did in round 1. id definitely go with Chuck on that one.

Interseting piece of news. Liddell wants a rematch with Jardine

I really don't think that would be a smart idea for Chuck. It wasn't as if Jardine just got lucky, he had Chuck figured out. Chuck's fought practically the same way for his entire career so he'd really have to change up his game if he were to fight Jardine again. Jardine's style just wasn't something Chuck could deal with, he's used to guys coming straight at him and then he counters, Jardine was able to avoid the mistakes others make against Chuck

• Advertisement

I would actually hate to see that fight, especially so soon. From Chuck's perspective I think it would be stupid to rush in to that rematch just because it fits his schedule, and it wouldn't be fair to Jardine either...even someone with the sway of Chuck shouldn't be able to just decide that he gets another swing at Jardine. AND he shouldn't assume he'd be able to have another go at Rampage if Forrest didn't already have an appointment. I don't doubt that Dana would/will put it on again but he's going to want Chuck to build up a little steam first - he's said it already that Rampage wrecked him twice and I can't remember exactly what he said but he didn't seem as if he was going to keep putting it on until Chuck wins one.

Anyway, I came on to post this link. Its a video of the first time Barnett and Aleksander fought. When I heard the rumours of them fighting in M1 I had no idea they'd fought already.
    http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=439670

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

bored with tv i just watched UFC 79 again. Chuck got caught a fair few times in the fight but got away with them as Wanderlai didnt rush in like rampage did against him. chuck was clearly out of breath at the end and im sure anyone fighting him will know to push the pace in a fight. I think the fact he is such a draw and everyone saw the first fight as a huge upset that they will pit him against jardine with a title shot later in the year IF he wins

on another note, can anyone see a pound for pound fight developing if (and its a big if as a few results have to go a certain way and given the last year of upsets anything is possible) GSP beats serra and silva beats henderson. surely these two could be argued as the best P4P mma fighters at the mo and both divisions are badly lacking in genuine contenders. would love to see them meet in a compromise weight

on another note, can anyone see a pound for pound fight developing if (and its a big if as a few results have to go a certain way and given the last year of upsets anything is possible) GSP beats serra and silva beats henderson. surely these two could be argued as the best P4P mma fighters at the mo and both divisions are badly lacking in genuine contenders. would love to see them meet in a compromise weight

I couldn't see it happening, not for a good while anyway. I think there's still plenty of contenders for both guys to beat. Maybe no one who's really at their level, but that's because they're both two of the best fighters around. So the UFC can have these two great unbeatable fighters, or they can match them up and be left with only one unbeatable fighter. I think it would hurt whoever loses, and in turn hurt the division that they're still champion of. Bad business I think

GSP has said that once he beats all the welterweight contenders that he wants to move up to middleweight though, so the fight could happen sometime. Still enough guys to keep him busy for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

So the UFC can have these two great unbeatable fighters, or they can match them up and be left with only one unbeatable fighter. I think it would hurt whoever loses, and in turn hurt the division that they're still champion of. Bad business I think

good point, hadnt thought of that! ill go back to drinking in silence now hehehe

GSP's said he wants to move up to "grow the legacy" that with the UFC now sounds like a tangible thing, they're going to have a legacy rating with the tale of the tape from now. Thing is Anderson said he's not interested in moving down so if it happens it'll happen at 185. A few weeks ago I would've said that if it was Anderson challenging GSP then it would happen much sooner, considering the huge amount of viable contenders at 170; Karo first, Hughes if Serra beats GSP, and then any number of guys if they don't lose over the next few months; I want to see Fitch fight for the belt. But with the Hendo fight in March and the possibility of Evan Tanner beating Yushin Okami they have big title fights for the rest of the year and, especially with Hendo, the possibility of Anderson losing his title that we should not forget about. A new champion at 185 refreshes the whole division in terms of big money fights to make, and ruins the GSP - Silva fight. I would love to see these two fight. If Serra loses to GSP and Hughes beats Serra I wouldn't be shocked if they stuck him in with Anderson, he's been talking about that for ages and I'd love to see that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

thanks , over a foot in reach difference....

Being 6'4'' at 155 is seriously incredible. Miletich has experience training freaks haha, he looked pretty good. I really don't want to wait to find out if he's any good, make him fight every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

But with the Hendo fight in March and the possibility of Evan Tanner beating Yushin Okami they have big title fights for the rest of the year and, especially with Hendo, the possibility of Anderson losing his title that we should not forget about.
    I think Tanner is finished. To be honest within that division Goo thereare so many guys who would give him a bad night I just think it would be better if he hung up the gloves. He always has trouble with dynamic strikers, sure even Franklin gave him a beating standing so could you imagine Anderson?. I always liked Tanner so I'm a bit sorry to see him back.

Haha yeah I'm not being realistic at all. He was my first favourite fighter and I think I'm totally caught up in his positive attitude, its not as if a year off and alcoholism can teach him to fight better. I wish he'd gotten rededicated to open a school, or become a commentator, rather than come back. I actually love Yushin Okami and I think he'll take Tanner out. I just absolutely love bull****ting about the UFC haha.

Everyone seems to be taking for granted that Okami is the unofficial number one contender. If that's the case then Tanner could get a chance at Anderson if he beats Okami (big if) in the same way that Werdum is getting a title shot now after beating Gonzaga and how Gonzaga got a go at Randy when he knocked out Mirko, so at least in that regard I'm not totally full of **** haha. I think its a really bad match up for Evan, they both have very similar styles but you have to assume Yushin is going to be sharper and stronger. Evan's hardly going to surprise him with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Its about f***ing time

Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer on Friday announced that the Commission has expanded steroid and drug testing for licensed fighters and those applying for licenses.

In addition to the testing performed on contestants on fight night, the Commission will require licensed fighters and licensing applicants to be tested at other times during the year.

Selection of licensees for testing will be made in one of three ways:

1. Fighters may be randomly chosen for testing.
    2. If there is some indication that a fighter is taking a non-approved substance, they may be tested.
    3. If a fighter has previously tested positive for using a non-approved substance, they may be tested.

Hopefully if Sherk accidentally takes a tainted supplement again they'll catch it far enough out from the Penn fight to find a replacement...or something.

Hopefully if Sherk accidentally takes a tainted supplement again they'll catch it far enough out from the Penn fight to find a replacement...or something.

He's going to be smaller for that fight!

i actually want to see that fight provided Sherk is clean so BJ can wreck him!

Anyone know where i can fins the J-Roc vs Warmachine bout from the last finale? i only caught the end and have been lookin for it ever since. PM if needs be.

Anyone know where i can fins the J-Roc vs Warmachine bout from the last finale? i only caught the end and have been lookin for it ever since. PM if needs be.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=24081671

Thankin u very very kindly Foz my man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Anyone else think Nog's unlikely to beat Sylvia, he doesnt have ko power, he doesnt have the wrestling to bring it to the mat, Sylvia is alot bigger.

Sylvia's shown great takedown defence before definitely, but I don't think Big Nog not being able to knock him out on his feet means he's a lock to win it. Sylvia didn't manage to do too much damage to Brandon Vera despite him being huge in comparison and Brandon having a broken hand. I think they both might be very cautious, and it might not make for an amazing fight, but I think Nogueira has a good chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

GC 50 - Top Gunz is on extreme sports now some good fights

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement