Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm a lot more uncertain about a lot of fights on this card than usual

I'd love to see Nogueira win. He's never been finished and I don't think Sylvia will be the man to do it. Nogueira obviously wants it on the ground, but he's not that great at takedowns. Put that together with how good Sylvia is at avoiding the ground and it could end up exactly like the Vera fight, only that Nogueira isn't as good standing as Vera. My heart says Nog but my head says Sylvia. Just on a sidenote, I've noticed that the UFC are referring to "Antonio Nogueira" now, I guess they've got no plans to sign his brother anytime soon

Mir has said that he knows he's got to finish the fight to win it. His best chance to win is obviously on the ground, but Brock should have picked up enough skills to avoid getting caught in any silly submissions. As long as Frank doesn't get a submission locked in fully then Brock will probably be strong enough to just muscle his way out of it. Brock will be controlling where the fight goes. On the feet Mir has the experience but Brock will have the power and the endurance. I read something yesterday that hadn't been mentioned before, the possibility of Brock controlling Mir against the cage and throwing knees. It would avoid Mir's submissions and his strikes. Sort of like a Sylvia match that doesn't go to decision I think. My official prediction is Brock via ground 'n' pound in the first round

Marquardt should win and it probably will be a decision. Horn's 101st fight I believe

I'm going with Griffin to finish this fight, but hopefully he has another exciting one

It'll be interesting to see what Almeida has now. He should win as long as he's prepared

Eastman's the favourite but I'm leaning towards Martin for some reason. I think he'll get the knockout

Emerson has never been finished despite six losses, I think. Lytle will probably prove to be too good for him though and I expect Lytle to get the submission

The other fights look too open to me, anyone could win them

There are reports now that Chuck's next opponent will be Shogun, in either May or possibly June in London. If it's the Shogun who fought Forrest then Chuck should be ok, but if it's the Shogun from Japan then Chuck might be in trouble. Should be an exciting fight anyway, and a much better choice than a rematch with Jardine

Dragan wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a very odd prediction and say the Nog is going to win by TKO!

It wouldnt be beyond the realms of possibility, Sylvia has shown a weak chin in the past, its just very few people hit him flush so its not exposed as often as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fozzy wrote: »
    There are reports now that Chuck's next opponent will be Shogun, in either May or possibly June in London. If it's the Shogun who fought Forrest then Chuck should be ok, but if it's the Shogun from Japan then Chuck might be in trouble. Should be an exciting fight anyway, and a much better choice than a rematch with Jardine

Chuck impressed the hell out of me for the first time in a long time against Wandy! I'd love to see an on form Chuck versus an on form Shogun! Would be a fantastic fight!

Actually......imagine if Griffin managed to wrestle the belt away from 'Page and it ended up being former Champ Chuck vs Current Champ and his former Student on TUF Forrest!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Nog vs Tim - Nog via sub. more hope than anything else

Brock vs Mir - Brock is the next big thing!!!! , I am expecting Mir to be gassed by the end of round one, but I am expecting Brock to be unable to finish, decision.

Nate Marquardt vs Horn - Marquardt by decisision, Gumby isnt competing like a top level competitor these days.

Tyson Griffin vs Gleison Tibau - Tyson by tko! He will not let this one go to the judges

Almeida vs Yunit - Almeida by sub.

Eastman vs Martin - Eastman by TKO, not impressed by Martin in his Leben fight.

Nakamura vs Emerson - Nakamura by decision

Lytle vs Bradley - Lytle by sub rd 1

Heath vs Boetsch - Heath to take this one, easily

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

As you might notice from my user name, I think that the best heavyweight in the UFC is still Frank Mir when on song. I think that Mir will submit him early, he just has too much ground game for someone with one fight in the sport behind him. Big as Lesnar is, bjj has shown on many many occasions that technique beats strength every time.
    I also think Nogueira wil beat Sylvia BUT I've a nagging feeling that Mir and Sylvia will rematch one day for the title. That's the only argument I can put forward for Tim, but apart from that Minotauro appears better in every single aspect of this fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

Anyone else annoyed with the ref during Brocks match? I think if he had of just warned Brock, like he should of, Brock would have won. Mir looked like he had been in a war.

Bazuki wrote: »
    Anyone else annoyed with the ref during Brocks match? I think if he had of just warned Brock, like he should of, Brock would have won. Mir looked like he had been in a war.

I was a little surprised. I can't remember the last point deduction that I've seen for hitting the back of the head. It might actually be the Frank Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie fight from over a year ago. Fighters seem to just get multiple warning these days, but I think the fact that Brock was hitting so hard was what made the ref step in. A full power punch from Brock to the back of Frank's head could have left him unable to continue. Still, Brock showed that he's got something and there'll be plenty of people wanting to see him fight again, and Mir has made a successful comeback now. The UFC must be very pleased

Give Lesnar 2 more years and he's gonna be unbelievable. His Ground and Pound is POWERFUL and Ill say it now he'd be a nightmare for Tim. He was very classy in defeat and ill be rooting for him from now on.

Ive never celebrated so much as when Nog swept Tim with 3 mins of the round to go, I knew it was over!

Great nght for BJJ, nice to see Almeida back in the mix, that was a crazy guillotine and those ones when the guy ha the arm in are HARD to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Mir was probably the worst possible opponent for Lesnar, given that g n' p was obviously gonna be his strength and Mir is probably the most dangerous guy off his back. He still wasn't far away from a ref stoppage on a couple of occasions though, and that point deduction did seem harsh.

Anyone else wanna see Lesnar v Sylvia next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I can't remember the last point deduction that I've seen for hitting the back of the head.

I think it happened in Shamrock/Baroni last June too. I can't remember if Frank got a warning either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

First of all, the UFC should be applauded for putting on one of the best cards I've ever seen. It was a brilliant show from the start to the finish.

Tyson Griffin Vs Gleison Tibau was a great opener. Excellent striking on display; I don't know what was keeping these guys on their feet at times. It was also great to see that the judges no longer seem to be judging the winner of a round purely on takedowns, as Tyson won all three rounds from all three judges, despite being taken down on multiple occassions.

Rob Yundt vs. Ricardo Almeida featured on of the coolest finishes I've ever seen. That guillotine followed by the slam attempt was awesome. It really was the night of the guillotine, wasn't it?

Marquardt Vs Horn was another good showing. Horn did well to turn the first round around a little just at the end. Not great refereeing though to miss the initial tap; I'm sure Horn was very anxious to be out of that guillotine by the time it was released.

Tim Boetsch Vs David Heath - promoted from the undercard, am I'm glad that it was! Boetsch fought like a man possesed. I've never seen a takedown like that before - he just threw Heath on his head like he weighed 100lbs more than him. Herb Dean was very slow to stop it, which makes a dramatic change for him.

Lesnar Vs Mir. My prediction was right on the money! Lesnar showed that he is unlike anything the UFC has seen before: pure talent and physicality, but he is lacking in maturity and octagon-sense, if that makes any sense at all. He was truly annihilating Mir, and if he had just taken his time and not been in such a hurry he would shortly have had his arm raised for sure. When he stood with his leg exposed like that, I'm sure everyone in the world saw what was coming next apart from him. What was great though was that he was humble in defeat in his post-fight interview, and if he learns to pick his spots a little better from this defeat, then he might go really far. The crowd who were booing him as he came out were applauding him at the end. Both guys came out the better for this fight.

Sylvia Vs Nogueira. Beautiful. Sylvia actually fought well and nearly finished him in round 1. Nogueira showed himself to be totally unable to take Tim down in round 2 (I'm not counting what happened at the end of round 1, as Sylvia probably weasn't protecting himself that well as the round was virtually over), and I really didn't think Nogueira could take him. He fought really intelligently though, and took the one opportunity that came his way in the whole fight. He'll do the company proud I don't doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

dont know if id go as far as saying it was the best card ever but each to their own i guess. watched the silvia fight in bed as i expected another snoozefest, felt like it was going that way until nog finally managed to take him down with time left to work. nearly woke the house when he finished him.
    as said before, brocks inexperience cost him but he was throwing mir around like a rag doll but it was his worse matchup. after watching the fight initially, i thought he'd been screwed, point deducted without any warning, mir didnt seem to be protecting himself the second time brock mounted him and brock had to tap twice before it was stopped even though steve m was looking straight at him, wasnt like he was gona get outa it. watched it on repeat though and nog prob took as much punishment as mir did without a stoppage although i still cudnt figure out the points deduction or pause by steve m.
    as above, it certainly was the night of the guillotine. first time seeing almeida but boy did he look impressive.
    cant wait for silva and henderson!!!

Wacker wrote: »
    It was also great to see that the judges no longer seem to be judging the winner of a round purely on takedowns

I was always under the impression that the judges placed extra emphasis on striking. Less so now, but still more than takedowns. It was probably more noticeable a few years ago when the judges mainly only knew about boxing and not the grappling intricacies of MMA

One of the fights that didn't air over here was Lytle vs Bradley, it's worth a watch for the funny finish: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x49fjn_chris-lytle-vs-kyle-bradley-ufc-81_extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Yay Nog!

Thought it was very unfair for the warning for Lesnar tbh. But his punches looked pretty weak with the gnp. This is obviously meant as comparatively weak, given his bulk. I think he could have done better had he picked a few shots, but his barrage strategy was working.

Boetsh's punches on the ground didn't look that strong either, I think the ref was justified inletting it go as long as he did.

I thought Griffin would lose because of the takedowns. TBH I wasn't focusing on this fight too much at the time so I'd need to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I was always under the impression that the judges placed extra emphasis on striking. Less so now, but still more than takedowns. It was probably more noticeable a few years ago when the judges mainly only knew about boxing and not the grappling intricacies of MMA

One of the fights that didn't air over here was Lytle vs Bradley, it's worth a watch for the funny finish: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x49fjn_chris-lytle-vs-kyle-bradley-ufc-81_extreme
    Well the scoring of two fights in particular made me believe that they placed too much emphasis on takedowns: Tito Ortiz Vs Forrest Griffin, and Tito Ortiz Vs Rashad Evans.
    Either way, they seem to have stopped.

Yay Nog, Boo Sylvia.

Good showing from Lesnar considering, it was his first fight against decent opposition. Impressed with his humblness post fight, goes along way towards winning over the booing masses. Would like to see him fight Sylvia or Crocop next.

Tyson Griffin needs to start finishing fights if he wants to move up the lightweight division.

The gullotine sweep from the slam by Almeida looked insane.

David heath doesnt belong in the UFC.

Poor reffing, Herb Dean was slow to jump in, they may not have been big shots, but Heath had both hands and knees on the florr for 30 seconds, no effort to move or defend. I have to watch the Lesnar Mir fight again, but Mazaghetti's stoppage was confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Wow. That was some exciting stuff.

Thrilled for Nog. He looked sloppy but that sweep was beautiful to watch and once he was in control after that I knew he had it won. How many more beatings can he take like that without serious brain damage. But fair play thats how he has always done it I suppose.

I actually have a new found respect for Sylvia. He fought to win for once and almost had Nog TKO'd in the first. He was unusually humble after as well so I officially no longer hate the guy. :rolleyes:

Mir was lucky I think. Sick kneebar but at one stage I thought Lesnar was going to pound his head through the mat and all the way to China. The guy is a beast. So powerfull and aggressive. Inexperience let him down and that point deduction by Mazaghetti was a joke. I reckon if he didn't stand them up that time Lesnar was seconds away from the win. But I wanted Mir to win so It's all good. :p

Roll on Silva Hendo!!!!

dunkamania wrote: »
    Yay Nog, Boo Sylvia.

Good showing from Lesnar considering, it was his first fight against decent opposition. Impressed with his humblness post fight, goes along way towards winning over the booing masses. Would like to see him fight Sylvia or Crocop next.

Tyson Griffin needs to start finishing fights if he wants to move up the lightweight division.

The gullotine sweep from the slam by Almeida looked insane.

David heath doesnt belong in the UFC.

Poor reffing, Herb Dean was slow to jump in, they may not have been big shots, but Heath had both hands and knees on the florr for 30 seconds, no effort to move or defend. I have to watch the Lesnar Mir fight again, but Mazaghetti's stoppage was confusing.
    I am a fan of Lesnar after last nite and he's gonna be a nightmare for any HW in the UFC. its easy to forget that that was his SECOND EVER fight and he beat the sh*t outta Mir up until the kneebar. Once he refined his jiu-jitsu hes gonna be a BIG threat (Id put money on him over tim now)

The stoppage by Mazzegati was ok EXCEPT that he didnt give Brock proper warning and i thought that the point deduction was bull and it disturbed Brocks rhythm. lookin forward to seeing him again.

Heath was not defending himself for sure but 30 seconds!!!? I just watched it there, it was 7 seconds!! That throw by Boetsch was class, nice knee trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nothing much I can add to the whole discussion except to say that I think Brock has got himself a nice little fan base going on last nights performance, I've joined their ranks in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/02/...omments-audio/

Rumors have been circulating that Zuffa has been shopping the UFC to potential investors. FiveOuncesOfPain.com (FiveOuncesOfPain.com) first heard of these rumors last weekend during EliteXC’s ShoXC event in Atlantic City.

The rumors of a potential UFC sale were again running rampant this past weekend at UFC 81 in Las Vegas and Steve Cofield of Fox Sports Radio 1460 asked UFC president Dana White to comment on them during a post-show radio broadcast.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com (www.FiveOuncesOfPain.com) has transcribed portions of the exchange between Cofield and White.

Cofield: “Looking ahead… Well, you tell us first, what’s going on this week? You said you’re going on the road. You’re working in Canada. Is it something to do with a (network) TV deal?”

White: “You know I can’t talk about it. I’m going on the road to get some stuff done. Hopefully I come back with the prize.”

Cofield: “I heard it from some of the most reputable guys in the business. We were hearing the crazy rumor the last three days that the UFC is on the sales block.”

White: “Yep, I heard that one too. I heard that one last year too… If that was the case and that was what I was doing this week it wouldn’t just be me flying out there. It would be me, Lorenzo, Frank; I mean there’d be an army flying out there if this thing was for sale.

“Listen, the way that I look at business… is your house for sale? … No you’re not selling your house but I bet you that I can buy it. No the UFC is not for sale. (I’m) 38-years old. I love this stuff. We have big plans and we’re working on a lot of things. ”

Cofield: “Have you gone into, say, a TV negotiation and they’re like, okay, ‘Let’s negotiate, negotiate,’ and then they’re like, ‘Okay, how about we buy you?’”

White: “Yeah. Yeah, that has happened.”

Cofield: “So maybe that’s where it came from?”

White: “Yep. There have been many offers made on the UFC. (But) they weren’t big enough. Like your house. Know what I mean? (But) your house isn’t for sale. I think everything in this planet is for sale. You could buy my shoes right now if you offer me the right money. But my shoes aren’t for sale.

“So… No, I’m not flying out of town next week to go sell this thing or anything like that. Hopefully when I come back in town next week I’m gonna at least be in the direction of announcing some big news.”

White’s denial is pretty clear. However, specific buyers have been linked to the rumors and one of the rumored buyers is Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Entertainment.

cletus wrote: »
    However, specific buyers have been linked to the rumors and one of the rumored buyers is Vince McMahon’s World Wrestling Entertainment.

And a rumour is all that's ever going to be

Doubt theyll sell yet, UFC still ahs growth potential.

of a more solid foundation Mirko may not be back in UFC.

http://www.mmafightline.com/news/2008/23/mirko_cro_cop_filipovic_315355.shtml

of a more solid foundation Mirko may not be back in UFC.

Strange. Just a few weeks ago he got the guy who coached him in K-1 back to coach him. And with the UFC planning to hold an event in Croatia this year he'd be the best guy to have on the card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

sorry guys a bit of topic but can anyone give me a lilnk that i can watch jones jnr vs felix trindad i found a couple of links but they are not working thanks

An interview with Mazzagatti on the Lesnar warning and deduction on hitting the back of the head.

Gives a good account of himself

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/02/05/referee-steve-mazzagatti-discusses-lesnar-mir-fight-an-mmajunkiecom-interview/

I've watched the fight a few times since it happened. And Mazz did warn Lesnar after he struck Mir the first time....then deducted the point when it happened again. Didn't really cop it at the time because i was all excited that i might have been wrong and Lesnar would have kept all his limbs.

He needs to learn to tap properly though. This ain't WWE Brock. Learn sub defence and how to tap and you'll do good buddy.

Dragan wrote: »
    Learn sub defence and how to tap.

If you have one of the above, then the other isnt required:D

dunkamania wrote: »
    If you have one of the above, then the other isnt required:D

Quiet you, i'll be practicing the first while proving how proficent i am in the second on Thursday! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I know it's likely to be his last fight with them but UFC really p*ssed me off with this decision.

One of the most popular fighters out there and the former Heavyweight Champ who kept the division afloat while it was struggling, yet this is how they treat him.

With Randy gone and Cro Cop likely to follow they should be bustin there ass off to keep this guy around.

Hope he goes to on to fight Barnett and Fedor. Big mistake Dana.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement