Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Why is there such a difference between Nog and Sylvia, is sylvia tied into a ****ty contract?

Nogueira won, the winner's pay is usually doubled. So if Sylvia had won, he'd have got 200 grand and Nog would've got 100 grand
    Another report shows Chuck Lidell made 500k for his fight against Jardine who was paid 14k for the same fight?????

People bought that PPV to see Chuck, not Jardine. Chuck deserves more money for that. Maybe Jardine deserved more, but that's the contract he agreed to
    It's obviously partly down to success and popularity but does anyone know what the process is for agreeing the purse for each fight?

It's written into their contracts. The UFC suggests a number, the fighter can choose to sign or negotiate. That's basically it. If the fighter is unhappy then the UFC will either decide that he's worth more money or they'll let him go fight elsewhere

The payouts that you read, like the one posted here, are just the payouts given to the athletic commission. It's basically the minimum that a fighter is getting paid. There's the bonuses that are made public (Sylvia and Nog got an extra $60,000 each for fight of the night, Mir got the same amount for best submission and Lytle got the same for best knockout) and the bonuses that aren't made public, like certain big name fighters getting a percentage of PPV buys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

World Victory Road have signed Barnett, Monson, Randleman and with Arlovski only having one fight left on his contract could get him also. Thats a good HW division and with Japanese stars like Yoshida and Gomi on the books its looking like a Pride like org(its owned by FEG). Hopefully they will end the UFC monopoly.

Hopefully they will end the UFC monopoly.

Unlikely unless they can get a tv deal, which I've heard no indication of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

World Victory Road have signed Barnett, Monson, Randleman and with Arlovski only having one fight left on his contract could get him also. Thats a good HW division and with Japanese stars like Yoshida and Gomi on the books its looking like a Pride like org(its owned by FEG). Hopefully they will end the UFC monopoly.

Right now they can put on two Heavy Weight Fights.

They are not ending anything except the careers of a few fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Thanks for the response fozzy.
    Hopefully they will end the UFC monopoly.

I would have thought that if the UFC gets all the top fighters the we get to see all the top fights, rather than fights not taking place because of differences in affiliations and contracts

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response fozzy.

I would have thought that if the UFC gets all the top fighters the we get to see all the top fights, rather than fights not taking place because of differences in affiliations and contracts

Well in theory you're right. And with the acquisition of PRIDE we have gotten to see some of the "dream matchups" which is great. What isnt great is the UFCs treatment of fighters, showing favouritism and bias towards some and their handling of business in an unprofessional manner (see Sherks case and immediate title shot upon return, Arlovksi, Fedor, Randy, Joe Silva dissin Soku on air etc) they want to have their cake and eat it and they still refer to MMA as "Ultimate Fighting". I am growing into the opinion more and more that the UFC are not the best org to be the leading ship of MMA.

the only way another org will rival is to get a TV deal on a major US network and have some serious $$$$$ behind them. As of right now nobody ahs the TV deal, the closest thing to it is Elite-XC. There is hope with M-1 and World Victory Road. Im hoping anyway!

I do love watching the UFC but some of their business ethics are very twisted. Dana bashing fighters publically is the worst of all of these.

There's a video at www.mixfight.com hyping up a reality MMA series being done by M-1 where 16 fighters will travel to Russia and live with each other, compete in a tournament and then face Fedor in a match. Kind of like The Ultimate Fighter except no one will come out a star and the winner will be mauled for his prize

Fozzy wrote: »
    There's a video at www.mixfight.com hyping up a reality MMA series being done by M-1 where 16 fighters will travel to Russia and live with each other, compete in a tournament and then face Fedor in a match. Kind of like The Ultimate Fighter except no one will come out a star and the winner will be mauled for his prize

That sounds interesting.....if a little Roman.

Cro Cop says on his website that he's off to Japan for a big announcement tomorrow: http://www.mirko-crocop.com/?id=4&solo=86

Enson Inoue says that K-1 is going to let HEROES be run by the former PRIDE staff, minus president Sakakibara: http://russianmma.com/2008/02/enson-inoue-interview-pride-ufc.html

The Wrestling Observer reports that K-1 will have a press conference tomorrow to announce a new MMA promotion called Dreams and that big foreign names will be there, but they won't specify who

Looks like Cro Cop is heading back to Japan. The MMA scene could be looking up there, since K-1 already have a tv deal

From the Wrestling Observer:
    Mirko Cro Cop's tenure in UFC is officially over as he showed up at Wednesday's press conference at Hotel Metropolitan in Tokyo for the announcement of the debut of a new promotion.

Cro Cop was released from his UFC contract and said he would appear on the debut of a new group, a combined effort of K-1 and the former Pride promotion, which takes place on 3/15 at the Saitama Super Arena.

Staff from K-1 and the former Pride staff, led by K-1 head Sadaharu Tanikawa and Keeichi Sasahara, who was Nobuyuki Sakakibara's second in command in Pride, were at the event.

No matches were announced for the debut show.

Tanikawa announced that the Hero's promotion has closed and will be replaced by the new group, which would crown a lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight champion. He said a tournament would be started on the first show for the lightweight and middleweight titles. He said the heavyweight title would be a single match, likely involving Cro Cop.

Also at the press conference were the famous pro wrestler/fighters Kazushi Sakuraba, Masakatsu Funaki, Minowa-man and Kiyoshi Tamura, who will be the top native stars along with Kid Yamamoto, Caol Uno, Hayato Sakurai and Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Videotape messages were played with Fedor Emelianenko and Royce Gracie saying they would fight with the new group, but didn't indicate they would be on the debut show. They announced a business relationship with M-1 Global to book Emelianenko.

The group plans to run six or seven shows in 2008.

EDIT: J.Z. Calvan vs. Shinya Aoki has been announced. That was meant to happen at the Yarennoka show but JZ got injured in training

Other names mentioned on their website are Joachim Hansen, Gilbert Melendez, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Mitsuhiro Ishida

• Advertisement

From the Wrestling Observer:

EDIT: J.Z. Calvan vs. Shinya Aoki has been announced. That was meant to happen at the Yarennoka show but JZ got injured in training

Other names mentioned on their website are Joachim Hansen, Gilbert Melendez, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Mitsuhiro Ishida

Crocop fedor 2?! Genuine competiton for UFC?? Oh yea!

Well, I don't know if they'll be competition exactly. Because of their tv deal and the signing of Cro Cop I'd expect them to get back near the level of PRIDE's popularity in Japan. The MMA scene has pretty much been dead in the eyes of the mainstream there since PRIDE finished. But PRIDE and the UFC were never in direct competition, they didn't compete for the same fans (and when PRIDE did, coming to the US, they did poorly). So I don't really see this as competition, just a likely potential big MMA promotion, which is good news for Japanese and hardcore MMA fans

I don't see any big effects on the UFC. Maybe some of the Japanese guys they signed in the last year will want to go home, but for the bigger names the big money will be in the UFC for a while yet

I agree, its not going to be full on competition but it gives me more MMA to watch and hopefully we'll be back to the days of MMA events pretty much every weekend!

Anyone see WEC last night?! Watched some of it this morning, dont wanna spoil the results yet.

Just make sure you check out the Coty Wheeler Vs Del Hawkins fight.

Tasty.

WEC was good, I enjoyed it all apart from the second round of the Rob McCullough fight

I knew there was something up with the scoring in that fight that was called a draw, I was trying to figure out how a 28-28 fight could happen without any point deductions!

WEC was good, I enjoyed it all apart from the second round of the Rob McCullough fight

I knew there was something up with the scoring in that fight that was called a draw, I was trying to figure out how a 28-28 fight could happen without any point deductions!

I havent seen it but:

Round 1: Fighter A 10-8
    Round 2: Fighter B 10-9
    Round 3: Fighter B 10-9

Thats generally how 28-28 fights go when theres no point deductions but theyre incredibly rare since how often do u see a guy destroy someone in 1 round then lose 2? Penn - StPierre?!!! haha im stirring sh*t!!

I completely forgot about 10-8 rounds when I was watching...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I just thought I'd show you how I hope Dan Henderson beats the spider in their upcoming match http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Ryo+Chonan+/video/x3ukui_ryo-chonan-vs-anderson-silva-flying_sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x452os_paulo-filho-vs-minotauro_sport

Paulo Filho and Big Nog rolling in a small gym in Brazil (submission grappling). 5 mins. worth a look for mma/sw fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I just thought I'd show you how I hope Dan Henderson beats the spider in their upcoming match http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Ryo+Chonan+/video/x3ukui_ryo-chonan-vs-anderson-silva-flying_sport

Great ending to a fight,just shows you that he can be beaten,but i think Hendo will do a bit more

• Advertisement

For those who havent seen Elite XC make sure u watch Yves Edwards vs Edson Berto, great ending.

For those who havent seen Elite XC make sure u watch Yves Edwards vs Edson Berto, great ending.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/berto/video/x4ehwr_edwards-vs-berto_sport

Urijah Faber did the same thing in his last fight, didn't finish with it though. Yves said he just did it because if it didn't work then the round was over and he was winning anyway, nothing to lose

The Kimbo vs Tank fight was fairly exciting. The crowd were big into it:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/search/kimbo/video/x4ekja_kimbo-slice-vs-tank-abbott_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Wow at the Yves Edwards vs Edson Berto fight - great stuff. Wouldn't like to eat too many of Berto's kicks.

As for the Tank v's Kimbo fight;
    maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like Tank keeled over at the end without actually being out (i.e. he used his right hand to break his fall). While obviously they're not going to put him in with a master of Jiu Jitsu just yet, I do hope they're not just building up dive wins to make a rep for him for monetary reasons. Of course it could just be that Tank ate a few shots, didn't like it and booked his ticket out of there - or never planned to hang around in the first place, but anyway you look at it it was a far cry from the kind of desire to continue that brought Nog through a bit of a pummeling against Sylvia. Anyway, thoughts? Conspiracy theories?

t-ha wrote: »
    As for the Tank v's Kimbo fight;
    maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed like Tank keeled over at the end without actually being out (i.e. he used his right hand to break his fall). While obviously they're not going to put him in with a master of Jiu Jitsu just yet, I do hope they're not just building up dive wins to make a rep for him for monetary reasons. Of course it could just be that Tank ate a few shots, didn't like it and booked his ticket out of there - or never planned to hang around in the first place, but anyway you look at it it was a far cry from the kind of desire to continue that brought Nog through a bit of a pummeling against Sylvia. Anyway, thoughts? Conspiracy theories?
    Tank has won one fight in ten years, he's old, I don't think they were taking such a big risk that they had to resort to fixing it. Watching it again, Tank took some hard shots and the last one he took was the hardest. Isn't there a safer way to work a fight?! Maybe Tank wasn't that motivated though, he was taking a nap just before they interviewed him during the show

The commentators were talking about Ken Shamrock, I doubt that would be a smart idea to put Kimbo against him. Ken likely wouldn't take it until after his fight with Frank anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The Kimbo vs Tank fight was fairly exciting. The crowd were big into it:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/search/kimbo/video/x4ekja_kimbo-slice-vs-tank-abbott_sport

Link is dead, here it is on mmalinker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Incidentally, when can we stop using spoiler quotations for this event

dunkamania wrote: »
    Incidentally, when can we stop using spoiler quotations for this event

I just used them because t-ha did, I suppose once it's been a couple of days since a show like EXC then it's your own fault if you come on here expecting not to have something spoiled

Chuck signed up to fight Shogun in London but the event is now June 7th

Chuck signed up to fight Shogun in London but the event is now June 7th

Odd. It had been rumoured for the 21st and then possibly the 14th. The 7th is just two weeks after BJ vs Sherk

• Advertisement

Odd. It had been rumoured for the 21st and then possibly the 14th. The 7th is just two weeks after BJ vs Sherk

The past European ones have been within close proximity to US ones. I remember 75 and 76 being very close together. 8th and 22nd of September IIRC.

The source I had was www.mmaweekly.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement