Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It's actually a very interesting UFN! Lots of fighters that i like to watch and wish to see do well!

War The Dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I know the UFC events are on Bravo, where do you watch UFN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Setanta Sports 1 are taking over UFC events soon so they might also showing UFN (UFN is part of the UFC, like the main shows are called UFC XX (where x is a number), UFN means ultimate fightnight, so it's UFC UFN XX. **** that looks confusing. UFN = UFC.

However, I usually just download the stuff from the web or watch it on streams on a number of websites. It's a form of piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Bravo haven't confirmed it yet but I'm fairly sure that they'll be showing it. Setanta won't be airing the US events until July

Jesus the ol board is runnin slow for me today. Anyway here's a load of news and some other **** for ya's.

First off, not news but a good read anyway:

http://ultimatemma.blogspot.com/2008/02/25-interesting-facts-you-may-not-know.html

Brandon Vera looks likely to be fighting Fabricio Werdum in London in June. So much for Werdums title shot eh!

Also, looks like Wanderlei is gonna be fighting Jardine but look where he's training:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5747&zoneid=13

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://samcaplan.proelite.com/97301

UFC PPV on yahoo live starting with March 1st :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jesus the ol board is runnin slow for me today. Anyway here's a load of news and some other **** for ya's.

First off, not news but a good read anyway:

http://ultimatemma.blogspot.com/2008/02/25-interesting-facts-you-may-not-know.html

Brandon Vera looks likely to be fighting Fabricio Werdum in London in June. So much for Werdums title shot eh!

Also, looks like Wanderlei is gonna be fighting Jardine but look where he's training:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5747&zoneid=13

And who he's pictured with!

Silva and Baroni in the same room, who'da thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Setanta Sports 1 are taking over UFC events soon so they might also showing UFN (UFN is part of the UFC, like the main shows are called UFC XX (where x is a number), UFN means ultimate fightnight, so it's UFC UFN XX. **** that looks confusing. UFN = UFC.

However, I usually just download the stuff from the web or watch it on streams on a number of websites. It's a form of piracy.

Ah good old piracy.......it's the only way really!

Yeah I see the promo stuff on UFC's website for UFN but these never seem to be broadcast on Bravo.
    I don't have Setanta and I'm not interested in the majority of what's on it, but I'll probably have to cave in and get it once the UFC moves.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5755&zoneid=2

Interesting read.

MMA is now legal in France but only in a ring and not in the cage. The rules are broken down there. Interesting the idea of running MMA events in Monaco.

MMA is now legal in France but only in a cage and not in the ring. Monaco.

I think its ring only?

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »
    I think its ring only?

Sorry my bad, corrected.

Its sad to see the cage still getting the bad reputation even though for MMA the cage lowers the chance of both guys injuring themselves falling out of the enclosure.

agreed, i much prefer the cage, and believe its safer and more practical.

However this is a huge leap forward, and its not hard to see a further loosening of the law down the road

Fantastic news in fairness, and says a lot about the hard work of people all around the globe who are trying to get MMA seen in the light that it deserves.

dunkamania wrote: »
    http://samcaplan.proelite.com/97301

UFC PPV on yahoo live starting with March 1st :D

It's $45 for each event though, I think you'd be saving money getting Setanta a few months after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

There's Shooto on Sopcast (MMA TV, channel 24267) right now. I have no idea how old it is. There's a Shooto card this weekend but I doubt this is it.

Im lacking my source on this but Justin McCully told Bas Rutten on radio yesterday that he'll be fighting a "pro wrestler turned MMA fighter" in UFC in London in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mickoo

Sorry my bad, corrected.

Its sad to see the cage still getting the bad reputation even though for MMA the cage lowers the chance of both guys injuring themselves falling out of the enclosure.

it would be simple to use a ring and put netting around it so the fighters would not fall out just like in a cage, but it would not have the pit fighting look to it! the sport would definetly be treated better if it was in a ring like this, but i think promoters like the whole cage, trapped angle for promoting fights so cant have it all ways..

Personally i like fights in a cage. I like the added dynamic of working against the cage wall, the extra clinch and grappling and the positional opportuinities it allows when working on the ground.

I think it adds nicely to a fight and makes a fight very different than in a ring.

Personally, i like the variation.

Looking forward to see what Dream can do with a decent budget.

Add in that the cage provides a larger fighting surface so more room to circle and not as easy to get cornered.

I like both and i do think theyre different but I would have liked to see both legalised in France.

Im lacking my source on this but Justin McCully told Bas Rutten on radio yesterday that he'll be fighting a "pro wrestler turned MMA fighter" in UFC in London in June.

McCully also said on Inside MMA last week that he's in talks to fight Lesnar in London. Bas presents that show too, I wonder why McCully is being more vague now

Unless he's fighting himself, he used to be a pro-wrestler too!

• Advertisement

Add in that the cage provides a larger fighting surface so more room to circle and not as easy to geth cornered.

Also add in that when most people think of MMA they think of the UFC, and when they think of the UFC they think of the cage. The cage is associated with MMA in the majority of people's minds, for better or for worse, and I think that it's a lot easier for smaller companies to market themselves using a cage than a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

what was the reasoning behind a ban on the cage?

Fozzy wrote: »
    McCully also said on Inside MMA last week that he's in talks to fight Lesnar in London. Bas presents that show too, I wonder why McCully is being more vague now

Unless he's fighting himself, he used to be a pro-wrestler too!

Well in all fairness I read a transcript rather than hear the actual interview so he COULD have said it?

I think Brock would have a far easier time with McCully tbh, however McCully is useful on the feet (even though he wanted no part of Hardonk in that department but do u blame him)

It was never legal to begin with. They legalised MMA under certain conditions, one of which was that it was to be in a ring. I guess its to do with it being viewed as "barbaric".

Eh, they're French. Your talking about a country that has creatine as a banned substance yet can't run a clean Tour de France.

No point in looking for rhyme or reason in it.

Dragan wrote: »
    Eh, they're French. Your talking about a country that has creatine as a banned substance yet can't run a clean Tour de France.

No point in looking for rhyme or reason in it.

Creatine!? please keep this board free from discussion on Class A drugs!!:D:D

I dont even use creatine but i find it hilarious the reactions and attitudes of some people to it without so much as a single scientific fact to back up their argument!

This is very out of the blue and quite suprising.....Paul Daley has announced his retirement from MMA/Muay-Thai competition as of March 29th when he fights the fight he's already signed for with ProElite against an opponent to be announced.

More here: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5780&zoneid=13

Im astonoished but the only reason I can think of is that being around fighting ALL the time drained him and he lost his spirit. Otherwise why retire aged 24 when you're on fire.

Also, the DREAM LW tourney is startin to look good.

Kultar Gill vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    Luiz Firmino vs. Kazuyuki Miyata
    Koutetsu Boku vs. Joachim Hansen
    Shinya Aoki vs. Gesias “JZ” Calvancante
    Andre Amade vs. TBA
    Jung Bu-Kyung vs. TBA
    Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. TBA
    Artur Oumakhanov vs. TBA
    Caol Uno vs. TBA

UFC 85 confirmed for London on June 7th. Tickets on sale March 7th. I will be there.

• Advertisement

This is very out of the blue and quite suprising.....Paul Daley has announced his retirement from MMA/Muay-Thai competition as of March 29th when he fights the fight he's already signed for with ProElite against an opponent to be announced.

More here: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5780&zoneid=13

Im astonoished but the only reason I can think of is that being around fighting ALL the time drained him and he lost his spirit. Otherwise why retire aged 24 when you're on fire.

Or perhaps he got signed to a large org and needs to have all his other contracts expire and such.

Who knows?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement