Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

UFC 85 confirmed for London on June 7th. Tickets on sale March 7th. I will be there.

any idea what prices were like for tickets for the last UK UFC. would love to go to this one considering the iceman may be fighting

any idea what prices were like for tickets for the last UK UFC. would love to go to this one considering the iceman may be fighting

Depends where u wanna sit. If ur looking to sit ringside you'll pay an arm and a leg. If u just wanna be there, there are decent seats available at reasonable prices. Personally i wouldnt go ringside cos if the fights go the ground its hard to see whats goin on. But u have a good chance of meeting some fighters in attendance. Its upto u.

chuck vs Shogun is 99% certain to be the main event.

Dragan wrote: »
    Or perhaps he got signed to a large org and needs to have all his other contracts expire and such.

Who knows?

Well he turned down a UFC contract offer not too long ago, i dunno, its a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Depends where u wanna sit. If ur looking to sit ringside you'll pay an arm and a leg. If u just wanna be there, there are decent seats available at reasonable prices. Personally i wouldnt go ringside cos if the fights go the ground its hard to see whats goin on. But u have a good chance of meeting some fighters in attendance. Its upto u.

chuck vs Shogun is 99% certain to be the main event.

i was ringside at the cage rage event but we did find it hard when the fight went to certain corners etc. guess ill just have to let the prices decide for me. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There's some info on the next two M-1 events here: http://russianmma.com/2008/02/m-1-global-challenge-2-information.html

A couple of guys I've heard of, but it's basically a small show with Fedor as a coach for the Russian team. The second event has Aleksander Emelianenko and Roman Zentsov fighting

• Advertisement

Probably the biggest MMA news in a while is that EXC announced a deal with CBS today. They'll be putting on four shows a year for at least two years (the deal is "multi-year") starting with a show in April headlined by Kimbo Slice. The shows will be two hours long and air on Saturday nights. I said a few pages back in this thread that I think EXC have the best chance of competing with the UFC on some level and they've taken a huge step with this announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'm kind of disappointed Kimbo Slice is headlining a potentially massive night for MMA. Like I love Kimbo and I think he's fantastic but he's a street fighter turned cage fighter who's still fairly one dimensional. ....maybe I'm just a prick.

I'm kind of disappointed Kimbo Slice is headlining a potentially massive night for MMA. Like I love Kimbo and I think he's fantastic but he's a street fighter turned cage fighter who's still fairly one dimensional. ....maybe I'm just a prick.

I get what you're saying, but the fact is that the guy is a draw. His last fight drew more viewers than EXC have ever had, I think it was about double what Frank Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie drew. Those two guys are obviously very talented, but Kimbo is capable of getting more people to watch

I see it as a good thing. EXC have some great fighters on the undercard who'll get to do their stuff in front of more people now because of Kimbo. Without him, these guys wouldn't get that kind of exposure. It's like when the UFC promoted the hell out of Tito and Ken Shamrock. Tito was still good but Ken was clearly past it. It didn't matter though as they got the people watching and helped all the other fighters

I was reading that that Rio Heroes internet vale tudo organisation got shut down by the Brazilian police. Apparently they were breaking gambling laws. Also the official Brazilian Vale Tudo association said that they were never a member of their body so they shouldn't have been allowed operate

Fozzy wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but the fact is that the guy is a draw. His last fight drew more viewers than EXC have ever had, I think it was about double what Frank Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie drew. Those two guys are obviously very talented, but Kimbo is capable of getting more people to watch

I see it as a good thing. EXC have some great fighters on the undercard who'll get to do their stuff in front of more people now because of Kimbo. Without him, these guys wouldn't get that kind of exposure. It's like when the UFC promoted the hell out of Tito and Ken Shamrock. Tito was still good but Ken was clearly past it. It didn't matter though as they got the people watching and helped all the other fighters

Agreed. At the end of the day from the promotors perspective its all about $$$$$$$$$$$ and PPV numbers so they get fighters people pay to see. I do agree thjat Kimbo isnt good for the image of the sport as a sport but he sells tickets and at the end of the day thats what has to over rule all the other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

What time is UFC 82 on at this Saturday on PPV anybody know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Only on PPV in US. Free on Bravo on Suday at 9pm. Can't bloody wait. War Hendo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mark Coleman has signed a 4 fight deal with the UFC. He faces Brock Lesnar in August.

commiserations to clive who nearly won by triangle against jon fitch ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Tuned in a bit late just caught the end of Leben's fight.

Heath Vs Kongo:
    You normally know which way a decision is gonna go but this was really close. Kongo had some great takedowns and I felt he got the better of the stand up even though Heath knocked him down with the very first punch he threw.

Kongo in particular showed a lack of knowledge about the ground game and at one point heath was laying knees into kongos body on the ground and all kongo could do was take them.
    Heath didn't have much to offer on the ground either and it was a bit frustrating to see fighters at that level who have such a hole in their game.

Silva vs Henderson:
    Looked like henderson was gonna give silva alot of trouble and had a great first round. Henderson couldn't get much damage done on the ground but landed lots of hammerfists and used his free hand to keep silva's mouth covered.

It kinda seemed like Henderson didn't do enough to prevent silva taking his back in the second round, and once the hooks were in the choke was certain. Disappponted for Henderson, both men very gracious after the fight (especially Silva)

So who's gonna stop silva? Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I thought Hendo looked 37 for the first time last night. It seemed like he was gassed totally after round 1. He was still gasping off his stool for round 2 while Silva looked fresh.

As for who will stop Silva? No one right now.

Ya Hendo gassed alright in the second. Good first round, but the hammer fists weren't doing enough damage. Silva is just the definition of a Mixed Martial Artist right now.

Herring Kongo was a complete snooze fest for me. Kongo surprised everyone with the takedowns but he still has an awful lot to learn on the ground. Very close but I had Herring winning it as well.

Watched the AA fight as well. Really glad he won. Kinda wish he pounded oBrien's head into oblivion instaed of looking at the ref pretty much telling him to stop it. Maybe he didn't want to hurt him after his neck surgery who knows. Again he'll probably get slated for 'another boring fight' but at least he got the TKO. He stuffed 8 or nine takedowns and that his own takedown into mount at the end was fluid.

Tanner looked old last night. I guess not training for two years is a bad idea. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Its pretty clear now why Hendo was reluctant to cut to middleweight....

I am guessing Okami too fight Anderson next, cos of his win over Aderson even if it was a DQ, I cant think of anyone else unless they get a LH fighter to drop down

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

GSP to unify title against Serra and move up? In my mind he is the only one who looks like he can beat Silva. Anyone wanna see Silva move up and fight rampage?

the kongo-herring fight was a little odd, don't know why. kongo is massive! Wandy to come down and challenge Anderson? GSP to go up? What's with Silva's love affair with Rich Franklin?

Fighting in front of an Ohio crowd that was booing him, Silva praised a native too win over some fans.

On a lighter note, I already knew Luke Cummo was weird, piss drinking etc but this is priceless

http://fightlinker.com/blog/?p=1699

love Dana's comment

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »

He has a gift for getting through all the bull**** and saying what needs to be said. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Mark Coleman has signed a 4 fight deal with the UFC. He faces Brock Lesnar in August.

That's surprising!

On a lighter note, I already knew Luke Cummo was weird, piss drinking etc but this is priceless

http://fightlinker.com/blog/?p=1699

love Dana's comment

I'm pretty sure that's fake, since when do they get drug test results in 2 days?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Ken Pavia wrote:
    For the OAC to suspend him because he likes to put stuff up his ass is absurd. If they’re going to suspend every fighter who does that, there won’t be anyone left to compete.

HAHAHAHAHA

Peace

Almost certainly a fake, still very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Almost certainly a fake, still very funny

If that's legit it's definitely the funniest MMA interview I've ever read.

If it's fake they've done their homework.

its a fake

just figured out why Arlovski is being dropped by UFC

165K for the win versus 140K for anderson(b4 bonuses)

Ya he must have signed that contract when he was Champ and dropping mofos in the frst round. ;)
    Probably thinks he deserves that money still and won't agree to a paycut.

just figured out why Arlovski is being dropped by UFC

165K for the win versus 140K for anderson(b4 bonuses)

Is he definitely being dropped?

You'd think when they are paying him that much money they would have broadcast his fight. I would consider him a bigger draw than Jon Fitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Kazooie wrote: »

Watched the AA fight as well. Really glad he won. Kinda wish he pounded oBrien's head into oblivion instaed of looking at the ref pretty much telling him to stop it. Maybe he didn't want to hurt him after his neck surgery who knows. Again he'll probably get slated for 'another boring fight' but at least he got the TKO. He stuffed 8 or nine takedowns and that his own takedown into mount at the end was fluid.

;)

he said in his post fight interview that he was aware that he had surgery and did not want to damage him to much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement