Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Cro Cop's opponent on the 15th for DREAM is Yoshihiro Nakao. I have a feeling that Cro Cop's winning

Nice video promoting the event here: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=LNXnt0IYFUM Even if you don't understand it you might enjoy it. It's going to be bigger than Sengoku anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Fedor vs Randy......in UFC:eek:

rumours that Fedor will be a free agent within in the week, not holding my breath here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

have my tickets for 85 anyway, woohoo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

How much were they Johnny if ya don't mind me askin?

went for the middle of the road 125 sterling tickets. came in at 183 euro each for 6 of us once the postage and booking fees had been applied. we prob would've went for better tickets if we weren't paying for the OHs tickets as well.

a different map came up of the arena though than when i tried to book earlier in the week (which would have required paying an extra 40 ster for fight club membership). looks like we got much better tickets this time, right at the bottom of the middle tier, next to the fighters entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah the fabled one fedor is gonna be a free agent soon.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/3892/report-fedor-emelianenko-to-become-free-agent.mma

I have mine as well! Happy days.

Gary Shaw said some of the reports are jumping the gun so lets wait and see what happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Bah, wake me up when Fedor is actually gonna fight someone. :mad:

Getting tired of all this rubbish and just want to see the man scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

He will try and take Chuck down but Chuck's take down defence is excellent. I can see Rashad getting knocked out in the first.(Hopefully;)). Im not sure about Jardine, I think that will be his tactic but im just not sure if it will work this time, in his fight with Chuck I just don't think chuck was there he was looking past Jardine and it cost him.

Pretty much how i see it. Rashad will take him down put not keep him down. Rashad isn't exactly the best at setting up his takedowns from strikes either so he'll be picking them up on the way in.

I see Rashad going out the same was as Babalu did, hefty shin to the face when he gets tired in the mix.

If i was him, i'd put chuck up against the cage and just beat on him. Evans is the younger man, and from his wrestling background he should be able to bring a pace that Chuck can't handle.

If Chuck does lose this fight i expect it to look like him v Rampage 1.

Somethings tells me Evans doesn't have the balls to try and mug him the way Page did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I have mine as well! Happy days.

Gary Shaw said some of the reports are jumping the gun so lets wait and see what happens!

Just booked my ticket there. :D What airport are you guys flying to. I haven't the foggiest where The O2 arena is!

• Advertisement

Kazooie wrote: »
    Just booked my ticket there. :D What airport are you guys flying to. I haven't the foggiest where The O2 arena is!

Havent booked flights yet, flew to Stansted and got the train last time. The O2 Arena is the Millenium Dome and we hadnt a clue where it was last time. The Tube is possibly the best transport system in the world so you can find your way to pretty much anywhere using that. The O2 has its own stop (think it might be called Dome, Ill dig out the old tube map) so u wont have a problem.

So how many of us Martial Arts Forum boardies are goin over?!

Dragan wrote: »
    Pretty much how i see it. Rashad will take him down put not keep him down. Rashad isn't exactly the best at setting up his takedowns from strikes either so he'll be picking them up on the way in.
    Rashad will try and use the ol' lay and pay. I just want to see him laid out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

After seeing how rashad faired against tito and bisping, I cant really see him beating chuck, Chuck is a really good wrestler as well and we know how good his hands are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Havent booked flights yet, flew to Stansted and got the train last time. The O2 Arena is the Millenium Dome and we hadnt a clue where it was last time. The Tube is possibly the best transport system in the world so you can find your way to pretty much anywhere using that. The O2 has its own stop (think it might be called Dome, Ill dig out the old tube map) so u wont have a problem.

So how many of us Martial Arts Forum boardies are goin over?!

Yeah I got tickets, 125 pound plus! can't really afford it but f it. I'll probably fly to stansted, take the stansted bus or that italian bus service into liverpool st station, then take another tube train to O2 arena (north greenwich in zone 3).

we're flying to luton from waterford on the friday. the diff in price with ryanair is neglible and it saves us travelling from tipp to dublin (and of course the journey home on sunday). few lads meeting us there from their dublin flight and we'll be catching the train to the kings cross area then. it'll be my first time in london so i reckon it'll be taxis all the way.

quick one for people who were at the last show, time on tickets says 16.45. is that a bit early to be arriving there or is there a chance of meeting some stars in and around? any ideas when the first fights of the evening would be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

The rumour is that Fitch is being given a title shot ahead of Karo.
    If I was Karo, I'd be pissed, but Karo's always pissed.

fitch vs karo makes sense to me, at ufc85 please !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

goo wrote: »

Karo V Fitch will happen down the line, bro. And Karo will wtfpwn him with judo, bro.

Fitch is tied with Royce Gracie for the most UFC wins in a row now, I don't think that he's undeserving of a title shot. Karo's last fight wasn't the most exciting either

Come here to me, I'm on Fitch's dick more than anybody all I'm saying is that Karo was promised a title shot and now he's being skipped. Karo ducked Fitch there recently because he wants to be sure he won't lose between now and his promised go at the 170 belt.
    Joe Silva has a hard job. I don't know if it makes more sense to have Karo and Fitch fight now, turning two seriously deserving contenders in to one or giving them both a title shot and having them fight each other after they both lose.

• Advertisement

Karo ducked Fitch there recently because he wants to be sure he won't lose between now and his promised go at the 170 belt.

Dana said after the last event that Fitch was going to be getting the next title shot and he could have sat out his last fight if he wanted. I think they like it when a fighter wants to fight

And on a related note, Paulo Filho recently said that he didn't have the motivation to train for his rematch with Chael Sonnen and it would be postponed. But then the fight was announced as being back on. I wouldn't be surprised if Dana gave him one of those "do you want to be a fighter?" speeches that he's given to the TUF guys

I just watched Imanari - Silva from Cage Rage (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4na47_masakazu-imanari-vs-jean-silva_sport) and the amount of booing is phenomenal. Its a short, exciting match...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭shantor

I just watched Imanari - Silva from Cage Rage (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4na47_masakazu-imanari-vs-jean-silva_sport) and the amount of booing is phenomenal. Its a short, exciting match...

he looks to be badly injured from that knee submission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Thought he looked in bad shape myself. Those darn ankle/achilles locks are career enders. There was a video doing the rounds of Ken Shamrock twisting some guys knee off, similar to this.
    Is there any site where they discuss the injuries ? or would that be too unpopular among those trying to promote the 'sport'?

First off, congratulations to Ais the bash, great performance.

Leglocks are fine once u realise that u have to tap just like to any other hold. Heel hooks are a problem because u dont feel any pain until its too late. See how quick Anderson Silva tapped to Chonan, he knew if he didnt tap he'd be on the shelf for about 6 months.

BTW Ken Shamrock needs to retire. If he fights Frank it will be a massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭shantor

i picked up a similar injury playing football, heavy tackly on my ankle twisted my knee, still limping 8 months later and will prob operate soon

... it must be one of the more serious injuries picked up in MMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.m1mixfight.com/info/interviews/2008/3/11/Fedor-interview/

Fedor comes across as very classy here

Favourite bit

What's your secret to staying so calm in the ring? What kind of mental training do you do?
    Fedor: That's no secret. I'm calm by nature. I just do my job.

Cro Cop's opponent is now Tatsuya Mizuno

DREAM have announced their rules, which include a 10 minute first round followed by a five minute second round and no kicks to a downed opponent (no soccer kicks or stomps)

EDIT: Just reading the rules again, the translations make it kind of hard to understand. Standing kicks to a grounded opponent's head are definitely illegal. They say that they know the fans want a set of global rules and that they want to make the sport look less violent

I'm not sure about stomps though, kicks to the body seem to be legal, as well as standing knees to a grounded opponent's body (no idea how that one works!)

There can't be draws

dunkamania wrote: »
    http://www.m1mixfight.com/info/interviews/2008/3/11/Fedor-interview/

Fedor comes across as very classy here

Favourite bit

What's your secret to staying so calm in the ring? What kind of mental training do you do?
    Fedor: That's no secret. I'm calm by nature. I just do my job.

an enigma

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement