Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

Chuck could be a bad match up for Nog but you'd have to think that once over 5 rounds Nog would get a chance and take it. Nobody else has been able to put Nog away, maybe Chuck could, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Chuck could be a bad match up for Nog but you'd have to think that once over 5 rounds Nog would get a chance and take it. Nobody else has been able to put Nog away, maybe Chuck could, who knows?

As a fight i like it. It's a good and a bad fight for both of them. Chuck knocks people out, but can he do it to Nog? Nog taps people out, but can he get Chuck down and keep him down long enough to make it happen?

Would be very interested in seeing this fight to be honest.

Dragan wrote: »
    As a fight i like it. It's a good and a bad fight for both of them. Chuck knocks people out, but can he do it to Nog? Nog taps people out, but can he get Chuck down and keep him down long enough to make it happen?

Would be very interested in seeing this fight to be honest.

+1 Its a rarity in that they both seem to be bad matchups for each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

'Spider' Silva want to fight Roy Jones Jr. ---- In a boxing match!
    Article below...

According to a report out by Mark Gilbert and published in the Sun Uk, UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva wants to fight boxer Roy Jones in the ring. Silva wants to fight Jones Jr. under the rules of boxing and not MMA.

Ed Soares, Silva’s manager, quoted by the Sun stated: "Anderson would really love to fight Roy Jones Jr in a boxing match."

Soares went on to add to the publication: "It’s not just talk, we really would like to put that fight together."

Soares says his team has respect for Jones jr. but are tired of comments made by other Boxers who have in the eye of the public dissed MMA. Soares stated: "We respect Jones’ boxing ability and think he’s one of the best but we’re tired of different boxers saying that MMA fighters aren’t technical."

Soares added: "Anderson would love to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match under boxing rules to prove that MMA fighters are technical too."

Source of quotes:

Mark Gilbert, Sun Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah the story on Silva was on mmaweekly yesterday. It would be really interesting to see an all rounder fighter in Silva take on a boxer. Would make for a very exciting match up. Would Dana allow it though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Why the fook would silva want to bother?
    He'd spend the whole fight trying to fight his natural reaction to lift the legs and knees and use elbows, utilise ground game etc. If he loses he'll just claim that he's not a boxer, if he wins, does it really benefit his career in MMA?

Yeah the Chuck Vs Nog fight is one I'd like to see. I saw another article stating that Chuck wants to fight fedor too http://www.bullshido.net/

Could Chuck be looking straight past Rashad? Could we have an upset on our hands?
    ......no I still wouldn't think so either but just throwing it out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He'd spend the whole fight trying to fight his natural reaction to lift the legs and knees and use elbows, utilise ground game etc. If he loses he'll just claim that he's not a boxer, if he wins, does it really benefit his career in MMA?

Maybe not his personal career, but it would benefit MMA in general IMO. Firstly it would be good publicity, and secondly boxers who keep claiming that MMA fighters are unskilled or not technical would have to STFU!

The way I see it is there's a whole lot to gain and fυck all to lose. Dana would be crazy not to let the fight go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Roy Jones apparently wants the fight too, saying it would be a phenomenal PPV and could heal the gap between boxing & mma

Fair play to Jones, he has been an outspoken supporter of MMA in the past and this would be great publicity for both sports IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

not being funny but Jones would smash him up, i know silva's a very skilled fighter but as a boxer he will not even come close to Jones. iv posted videos on the boxing forum of Jones a few times and i know people say that was when he was in his peak but still boxing class is permanent and i honestly think this would be a bad move for Silva as he is considered untouchable in MMA so why go and be made a fool of by Jones...

• Advertisement

Because he's a fighter.

Judomad wrote: »
    why go and be made a fool of by Jones...

Not given to repetition but.......because he's a fighter

Because he's a fighter.

Well said. I shouldn't have asked that question.

I personally don't think it's the move of a smart fighter, but a fighter none the less....and to be fair, from what we've seen in the octagon, a warrior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Sorry lads but I don't think it has anything to do with him being a fighter and everything to do with getting some $$$. Roy Jones is having difficulty selling PPV right now as most of his opponents are poor, and Roy himself is getting on. Compare a boxing headline PPV paycheck to a headline UFC fight and see which one you'd prefer.

Silva vs. Jones would haul in the UFC audience AND the boxing one, it's a promoters wet dream. You can try to romanticise it and say that it's because he's a fighter and he's fighting for the honour of MMA but the reality is that, win or lose, he'd be a very wealthy man after the fight. He's also lose though I'm sure he would give a good account of himself.

Roper wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with him being a fighter and everything to do with getting some $$$. .

i completely agree with that, he will lose the fight so what else has he to fight for bar cashmoney......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sheldonparkgym

Well it has almost identical appeal to the early UFC compeititions?

Remember when it was billed as "Who would win in a competition between experts in judo, BJJ, karate, boxing, Sumo and Kung-fu etc?"

Now it's a question of who'd win between an expert boxer and a fully-rounded MMA fighter.

I think the match would be WAY better if Anderson was allowed to use his clinch and knees as well as his fists. Then it would be a very differenct match-up indeed! :D

You can't deny the money is a hell of a motivator, I wouldn't say it's the only motivator though.

Silva is quickly taking the place of Fedor in my mind.

I don't mean ability wise and i'm not talking about P4P status. I just think he wants to take fight, and the tougher the fight you can give him the happier he will be.

From interviews i have been reading it is clear that he has a massive ammount of respect for Jones, and what point saying he considers him one of the best boxers in history.

I can only respect a man who wants to get in the ring and box with his idol.

Also, in other news,
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5879&zoneid=13

First two episodes of TUF promise to be stormers. 32 Fighters, 16 fights per episode either in full of high lights.

This time you have to fight to even get on the show.

I like it.

No more need to be nice to Bowman.

Well it has almost identical appeal to the early UFC compeititions?

Remember when it was billed as "Who would win in a competition between experts in judo, BJJ, karate, boxing, Sumo and Kung-fu etc?"

Now it's a question of who'd win between an expert boxer and a fully-rounded MMA fighter.

i dont agree, it wont be a matter of whos skills will be the best overall, it is a BOXING match therefore RJJ will slaughter Silva, slaughter is a good prediction for how this will end.

i dont agree, it wont be a matter of whos skills will be the best overall, it is a BOXING match therefore RJJ will slaughter Silva, slaughter is a good prediction for how this will end.

I never said it'd be a matter of skills will be best - I suggested that that would be how they'd market it to the public. I also suggested that they give Anderson a chance by allowing the Muay-Thai clinch and knees. I'm well aware of how great RJJ is, even at 50% of his peak.

• Advertisement

I never said it'd be a matter of skills will be best - I suggested that that would be how they'd market it to the public. I also suggested that they give Anderson a chance by allowing the Muay-Thai clinch and knees. I'm well aware of how great RJJ is, even at 50% of his peak.

not being funny but if its a boxing match, no comment on boards.ie will even come close to being considered, if they were going to allow clinch and knees theyd put RJJ in an MMA fight(which i dont have a problem with saying he would lose) against Silva, but its is a boxing match if it goes ahead and therefore it will be all Jones..

as for marketing it will be all about Silva- "can UFC star make the jump to pro boxing" is how i see advertising for it..

not against Jones he cant anyway :p

I totally agree RJJ would easily beat Silva in a pure boxing match.

I was merely suggesting using rules that would make it fair to both. Obviously, RJJ would win if it's boxing while Silva would win if it was MMA.

So with modified rules, Silva wouldn't be allowed to use kicks or bring it to the ground for GNP or submissions. He would be allowed to use the clinch and knees to the head.

Now THAT would be a real test for Roy Jones - usually his talent was to hit and not get hit. Here he'd have to hit and not get caught! :p

I was merely suggesting using rules that would make it fair to both. Obviously, RJJ would win if it's boxing while Silva would win if it was MMA.

Silva has said he wants to box Jones. Not do hybrid rules, or MMA. Just box.

As such we should just let it happen. I don't care if Silva wins or loses, i think he doesn't care either.

I think your looking at a man who grew up watching people fight in all kinds of disciplines and who finds himself at a point in his life where he can maybe make a dream of his happen.

Think of your favourite sports man, the one you really look up to. Now think, if you had an avenue to compete against that person for nothing more than the sheer thrill of it and being able to possess that memory for the rest of you life what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Agreed Dragan.

1 thing no 1 is mentioning though is, if he won he might end up sticking with boxing as he would have way more potential for earning big purses! in 1 big fight v mayweather, or De la hoya for example, he could make the same as he could in his whole mma carreer!

this would be a bad blow for mma and its fans.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Am I only one that thinks UFC might not allow it, Dana doesnt play well with others.

UFC might not want to risk Anderson losing, or worse, winning and leaving the UFc as Cowzerp suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I just don't see it happening. More credibility to it than Mayweather's hints at doing MMA, but I think there's a few stumbling blocks, mainly with the UFC

Speaking of Mayweather, he was going to be a celebrity coach on a new MMA show starting soon. He's off it now because of his WWE involvement
    Also, in other news,
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5879&zoneid=13

First two episodes of TUF promise to be stormers. 32 Fighters, 16 fights per episode either in full of high lights.

This time you have to fight to even get on the show.

I like it.

No more need to be nice to Bowman.

I keep hearing how the fact that they have to fight to get on the show will weed out the useless guys. But what if 20 of the 32 guys are useless? Or if there are only eight useless guys, what if they all fight each other? You could still have four Bowman's in the house

Fozzy wrote: »
    I keep hearing how the fact that they have to fight to get on the show will weed out the useless guys. But what if 20 of the 32 guys are useless? Or if there are only eight useless guys, what if they all fight each other? You could still have four Bowman's in the house

I won't mind that at all knowing they won a fight to be there.

I could still never figure out how Blake got on the show. I mean, i liked the cat as much as you can like someone you only ever see on tv but i agree with Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭robric

dunkamania wrote: »
    Am I only one that thinks UFC might not allow it, Dana doesnt play well with others.

UFC might not want to risk Anderson losing, or worse, winning and leaving the UFc as Cowzerp suggested.

i reckon both the ufc and anderson will realize that they have less to loose than RJJ, obviously the boxer should win but if he is beat they can advertise as being a better sport than boxing, if he looses and fights well then it gives a lot more credability to MMA, but if RJJ is beaten boxing could potentially loose out to MMA in the ratings, again. i would love to see it and fair play to anderson to calling out the classiest boxer going, he could have picked easier opponents

Think of your favourite sports man, the one you really look up to. Now think, if you had an avenue to compete against that person for nothing more than the sheer thrill of it and being able to possess that memory for the rest of you life what would you do?

i get to do this every training session with mister cowzer........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i get to do this every training session with mister cowzer........

The last thing i need is an ego boost! but i'll take it anyway, Me and Roy jones jr, on the 1 page, i knew it would happen 1 day!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement