Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

cowzerp wrote: »
    The last thing i need is an ego boost! but i'll take it anyway, Me and Roy jones jr, on the 1 page, i knew it would happen 1 day!!

you deffo didnt need an ego boost, youll end up challenging Jones and Mayweather to handicap match and still think youd win hahaha
    anyway you know what i meant by it..who the man..........(sometimes) you are, but every other day its me :D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Judomad wrote: »
    i get to do this every training session with mister cowzer........

Lucky bastard. :D

Dragan wrote: »
    Lucky bastard. :D

true that, true that :D:p:D:p

anybody jealous......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

robric wrote: »
    i reckon both the ufc and anderson will realize that they have less to loose than RJJ, obviously the boxer should win but if he is beat they can advertise as being a better sport than boxing, if he looses and fights well then it gives a lot more credability to MMA, but if RJJ is beaten boxing could potentially loose out to MMA in the ratings, again. i would love to see it and fair play to anderson to calling out the classiest boxer going, he could have picked easier opponents

BACK ON TOPIC!

RJJ is years past his best and has nothing to lose, he's class alright but years off his best, the only losers potentialy are the UFC, Boxing will get lots of attention and a boxer losing does not make mma a better sport!! it just means that silva has good boxing!

there both hardcore fights but totally different, MMA and boxing will co exist in the future and fans will grow up and stop comparing which is best, then they can compare which they prefer, thats a personal preference then.

i've the best of both and love having the choice to watch both if i choose too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

If Anderson can make more money in boxing, will he really stay in MMA?

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »

he wont make too much money in boxing, not when hes beaten easily by jones anyway.

simple answer-No

fighters at top pro level are there for the money, simple as. if boxing earns him more money thats what he'll do, he'll more than likely be whopped and return to UFC with his rep still intact, i would not be suprised if other MMA fighters fight pro boxing too, Liddell, tim silvia etc.. i could see silvia doing well too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sheldonparkgym

Aleks E. wants to give pro boxing a go - he's definitely got the best hands of all the heavyweights. Unbelievable hand speed for a guy his size. I think he'd do the best in boxing out of all the MMA guys.

cowzerp wrote: »
    simple answer-No

fighters at top pro level are there for the money, simple as. if boxing earns him more money thats what he'll do, he'll more than likely be whopped and return to UFC with his rep still intact, i would not be suprised if other MMA fighters fight pro boxing too, Liddell, tim silvia etc.. i could see silvia doing well too!

cough *Marcus Davis* uhummmm cough again.....
    hed be a tough fight for alot of top pro boxers..

Judomad wrote: »
    cough *Marcus Davis* uhummmm cough again.....
    hed be a tough fight for alot of top pro boxers..
    switched to mma because he was not getting anywhere in pro boxing, but he is a good mma boxer no doubt! maybe if he got more recognised he would be put into a promotion but not big enough just now!

the others would generate an interest just by there name alone!

• Advertisement

He won't be the first MMA guy to think about making a move into boxing. He'll just be the one with the UFC hype machine behind him.

Personally, i have never seen Silva box, so i don't know how well he would do.

I do agree that if he goes in and the money is good he will most likely stay there.....or at least move back and forth.

Fighters fighter?

He won't be the first MMA guy to think about making a move into boxing. He'll just be the one with the UFC hype machine behind him.

Personally, i have never seen Silva box, so i don't know how well he would do.

I do agree that if he goes in and the money is good he will most likely stay there.....or at least move back and forth.

Fighters fighter?
    There was an "Anderson da Silva" who boxed in Brazil and went 1-1, he knocked out a guy called "Jesus"!! :pac::pac::pac:

Wasnt him though, far as Im aware he has a 1-0 pro boxing record.

Ill search again but it was hard to fins the first time.

Ive seen him box, but it was in training against Big Nog http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/anderson%2BsilvA/video/x2best_anderson-silva-big-nog-sparring_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Sherdog says that Paulo Filho has gone to rehab for a drug problem and depression and he won't be fighting this month: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11802

Hope he gets himself sorted out

Fozzy wrote: »
    Sherdog says that Paulo Filho has gone to rehab for a drug problem and depression and he won't be fighting this month: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11802

Yea confirmed by mmaweekly.com

Says he'll be back in June, hope he gets it together.

I also hope its not a dependency on painkillers.

Fozzy wrote: »

He originally said he didn't want to fight due to a "lack of motivation" which i guess is in keeping with the depression.

Shame to see another fighter with a substance abuse issue, although Paulo at least seems to be open and honest about things.

Good to see him taking positive steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I really thought the lightweight GP was tonight.
    Anyone have any links for at least some of the fights?

Its on mmatv, I'm an idiot.
    And the sound delay is fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Thanks Neil!

My god this Hansen.
    My god this Sakuri.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Boku v Hansen was high quality!

• Advertisement

Hellboy looked a lot better than he did at NYE...which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Anybody see the Baroni V Hose fight for the ICON middleweight title. What a war.

Its up on proelite.com if anyone wants.

Cro Cop looked good, started out a bit shy again but when he unloaded he did it like the old Cro Cop.

he looked good fighting against the punching bag they were kind enough to place in front of him

I suppose, we should be thankful his opponent wasnt blindfolded.....:rolleyes:

he looked good fighting against the punching bag they were kind enough to place in front of him

I suppose, we should be thankful his opponent wasnt blindfolded.....:rolleyes:

Have you heard about his next fight, rumoured for Dream 4?

Sergei Kharitonov!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Just a sort change of pace

From MMA Junkie.com
    Although professional wrestling superstar Kurt Angle will compete against UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture in a submission grappling match later this year, don't expect Angle to immediately follow in fellow professional wrestler Brock Lesnar's footsteps -- at least not yet.
    Angle discussed his upcoming grappling match, as well as a possible foray into MMA with a potential seven-figure deal with the UFC, while a guest on Thursday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com)

"I've always wanted to do (MMA), from after the Olympics, and I just never got the shot," Angle said. "I've been keeping myself in really, really good shape, but not in the fighting shape you have to be in to go into MMA."
    Instead, Angle will first try his hand at submission wrestling, which is essentially MMA without striking. The match will be Angle's first in Rico Chiapparelli's Professional Submission League, while Couture has competed in the organization before, battling Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza to a draw. The date of the event has not yet been determined, but Angle believes it will take place in late summer or early fall.
    "
    A lot of people are pretty much counting me out, which I don't blame them," Angle admitted. "But you can't count out an Olympic gold medalist."
    After the match, Angle will continue to pursue a transition into MMA, something the 39-year-old has been trying to do for several years. Angle has had contract negotiations with several organizations, including the UFC, though none of those discussions led to a deal.

"(UFC President) Dana White gave me more than any other fighter could ever dream of," Angle said. "He wanted me to sign for a long period of time where I didn't have to fight that much. But, he wanted the complete rights to me. I guess he wanted Kurt Angle the name and the person to be affiliated with the UFC for the next whatever years. But the figure was staggering. I could tell you that all the deals that were done were all in the seven-figure mark for the fight."
    Angle's training for a possible MMA debut has been hampered by the difficulties of constant travel while working as a professional wrestler. He also has a history of neck and shoulder issues that have required numerous surgeries. He hopes to land with an organization that will allow him ample time to prepare properly for a fight.

"Last year I trained about four straight months, and I'll tell you what, the training is as grueling, if not more grueling, than the training I did for the 1996 Olympics," Angle said. "Within four months I was so broken down, and I was trying to wrestle full time on the road as well, and I couldn't do it."
    So while Angle is excited about the opportunity to test his abilities in submission grappling against one of the UFC's most decorated fighters, an MMA debut is still far from a sure thing.

"I don't want (you) to misunderstand me," he said. "When I say I am in shape, I am in no shape at all right now to go into an octagon or on a platform and have a fight with Randy Couture or Chuck Liddell or 'Rampage' Jackson or Brock Lesnar or whoever it is. Right now I cannot." Angle also discussed at length his previous battles with addiction to painkillers, his thoughts on Lesnar's recent UFC debut, and his less-than-amicable departure from the WWE. To hear the full interview, download Thursday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Have you heard about his next fight, rumoured for Dream 4?

Sergei Kharitonov!!!!!

First I've heard of that. DREAM's president mentioned Jerome LeBanner, Mighty Mo and Hong Man Choi. Mark Hunt is also rumoured. I think it's been mentioned for their third event too, not their fourth

Saw this just now: http://www.cityboxing.com/arbitration.aspx

Looks like Brandon Vera was telling fibs. The CSAC ruled in favour of Vera's manager, saying that he never did anything but try to get the best deals for Vera and that it was Vera who was being unreasonable

cletus wrote: »
    Just a sort change of pace[/quote

Does anyone still take Kurt seriously?! There's stuff in that interview about him being on the road full time. But last year he was wrestling no more than five times a month, with two full two week breaks every month. There was no "constant travel". Randy won't be able to take part in this submission match until his contract dispute is sorted out either

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement