Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Angle in MMA - hopefully he can bring his three I's. Oh it's True, oh it's damn True!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

http://www.tatame.com/2008/03/19/Jacare-helps-Wand-to-the-next-fight-at-UFC

Wand's training with Jacare and Gilbert Yvel for the Jardine fight.It says Bj contacted Wands personal trainer to help him for the Sean Sherk fight but he couldnt do it as Wands on the same event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hmmmm, if he's training with Jacare then maybe is is preparing for a bit of ground game? A lot of people seem to be brining in Yvel these days as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Bidanged wrote: »
    Wand's training with Jacare and Gilbert Yvel for the Jardine fight.
    Haha, watch out ref.
    The new rumour about Kurt Angle is that he's fighting in Japan. I don't care. I had no idea he was near 40.
    CroCop giving out about the quality of opposition is a bit funny considering Kharitonov was lined up for Dream 1, but Mirko asked for a warm up. You can't blame him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

goo wrote: »
    The new rumour about Kurt Angle is that he's fighting in Japan.

Yes, it's supposed to be a three-man "MMA" fight with Barnett and Ogawa

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a link for Sakuraba v Royce I? I couldn't find a torrent for it.

goo wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link for Sakuraba v Royce I? I couldn't find a torrent for it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=605077178385624483&hl=en

The video's two and a half hours long, I assume the fight is in there!

On the topic of Kurt Angle and MMA, Marcus Davis appeared on TNA's show last night to hype up Kurt's next big wrestling match. Frank Trigg (Kurt's long lost twin brother) will be on next week. I think he's creating the illusion that he's serious about MMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Fozzy wrote: »
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=605077178385624483&hl=en

The video's two and a half hours long, I assume the fight is in there!

On the topic of Kurt Angle and MMA, Marcus Davis appeared on TNA's show last night to hype up Kurt's next big wrestling match. Frank Trigg (Kurt's long lost twin brother) will be on next week. I think he's creating the illusion that he's serious about MMA

That was also mentioned in this weeks wrestling observer.So far everytime Angle has been given the opportunity to compete in MMA,he hasn't for one reason or another.Yet,in almost every interview over the last year he continuously mentions how he would love to fight X and Y.At this stage its getting old and I won't believe again it until he signs the dotted line.Its time for Angle to either put up or shut up.....

I can't wait for all those moments where Saku looks at the cameras with a bored look on his face.

• Advertisement

Monte Cox has actually admitted that Fedor was never under contract...which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

THis doesnt make sense to me, unless Tim is going to fight Fedor, but given that Tim is not as well known in Asia, where Fedor brings in the most punters, this doesnt make business sense for a promoter. Given the state of the UFC heavyweight division, Tim probably wouldnt have to wait long for another title shot.

Interesting to see where he goes and how much he gets. I know he was really pissed off and surprised that Lesnar got paid more than he did, which shows how out of touch he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Dana White would want to smarten up quick....... he can't keep losing top fighters at this rate. I'm not a big Tim fan but there's no way Lesnar should be making more money than him.

I'm all for fighters rights but having the top fighters dispersed between numerous organisations is bad for the sport.

I'm not a big Tim fan but there's no way Lesnar should be making more money than him.

What?! UFC 81 did the third highest PPV buyrate in UFC history. That wasn't because of people wanting to see Sylvia, that was people paying money to see Lesnar. It's not in the UFC's interest to pay Sylvia that amount of money when there's nowhere near as high a return on it

Here's the big news that Sylvia said he'd be posting today:
    I'm sorry to disappoint everybody but some of the big news is going on this weekend. I'm going hunting with Gary LaVox from Rascal Flats. Driving down to Tennessee tomorrow to start turkey hunting. My hunting DVD comes out in four weeks, but this will be on next year's hunting DVD. Now if you guys were expecting anything else, then you might want to watch HD Net Friday night, Inside MMA. Stay tuned for more. -Tim

Leonard Garcia was arrested as part of a cocaine trafficking ring: http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=8081560&nav=menu69_2_9 He had that great fight with Roger Huerta last year and looked to be doing good in WEC. He faces a long long time in prison if found guilty

What?! UFC 81 did the third highest PPV buyrate in UFC history. That wasn't because of people wanting to see Sylvia, that was people paying money to see Lesnar. It's not in the UFC's interest to pay Sylvia that amount of money when there's nowhere near as high a return on it

The UFC created all that hype around the Lesnar Mir fight. They could have given lesnar a nobody to fight and put him on the undercard and said no more but they were the ones who drew all the interest to the fight. Lesnar didn't accomplish it simply by being lesnar.

Sure, if they use him to create hype, he should get his cut, but the UFC should be aware that they could be alienating some of their other top fighters who have been constant in the UFC.

The UFC created all that hype around the Lesnar Mir fight. They could have given lesnar a nobody to fight and put him on the undercard and said no more but they were the ones who drew all the interest to the fight. Lesnar didn't accomplish it simply by being lesnar.

Sure, if they use him to create hype, he should get his cut, but the UFC should be aware that they could be alienating some of their other top fighters who have been constant in the UFC.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you think that what the UFC accomplished with that PPV could have been done with any fighter in place of Lesnar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The UFC created all that hype around the Lesnar Mir fight.

They did this for a reason. Lesnar's debut was the draw. Not Nogueira and Silvia.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5981&zoneid=2

This isnt really news since everyone kinda already knew but Fedor is OFFICIALLY a free agent. Now all we need is Randy to also be OFFICIALLY a free agent (dream on) and we're in business!

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you think that what the UFC accomplished with that PPV could have been done with any fighter in place of Lesnar?

No, but they could have done it with another successful wrestler/boxer that was making his debut in UFC.

Lesnar hasn't actually proven himself in MMA yet, however he'll probably get more money than tim for their next fights too, which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Lesnar is worth every penny because there is a high migration from professional wrestling to MMA from a fanbase point of view and he is hugely reconisable from his wwe days. Also, Brock is an incredible athlete and has huge potential as a fighter.

Massive chest penis tattoo and being a massive homophobe aside, the guy comes off very well, he won the crowd over after his loss, by being humble and likeable, compared to Sylvia who usually comes off as an insecure child.(loss to Nog aside, where he was genuinely funny in the post-fight)

No, but they could have done it with another successful wrestler/boxer that was making his debut in UFC.

Lesnar hasn't actually proven himself in MMA yet, however he'll probably get more money than tim for their next fights too, which is a shame.

How many other successful wrestlers/boxers are there who are making that transition?

Lesnar hasn't proven himself as a fighter, but he has proven himself as a draw, something Sylvia has never been. If Sylvia was someone who pushed up the buyrate then I'd agree that he deserves as much as Lesnar. But he doesn't. Why should the UFC pay someone a huge amount without a proportionate return? It's a business afterall

You could argue from both sides, though. I guess it depends on how much Tim was looking for. Maybe he was stubbornly trying to get as much or more out of the UFC than Brock gets, but then again maybe the UFC was trying to drop his basic rate now that he's not champion anymore...and even if it was the former, and even though I don't like Tim, you have to see from his perspective how Brock getting so much money is sort of a snub. Tim is a two time champion UFC champion and defended his belt a good number of times.
    Does anyone know the details with Arlovski's contract? Was he looking for more money or were they trying to give him less?

The Wrestling Observer says that "UFC has confirmed that Tim Sylvia was released from his contract, which had one fight left."

Silly decision by him I think, he won't get the money or the class of opponents that he'd get with UFC. Maybe he's got his own reasons

I was really surprised by how quickly that went from a rumour to him actually leaving. Him and Monte were on Inside MMA talking about this new Adrenaline company and Tim's plan to fight 5/6 times a year spread between Adrenaline, Affliction's event, and events in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Guys, what channel(s) currently show MMA/Pride etc?

GBX wrote: »
    Guys, what channel(s) currently show MMA/Pride etc?

UFC is shown on Bravo, usually on a one day delay. It will switch to Setanta Sports in June though

PRIDE's dead, the UFC bought them

Sky Sports shows Cage Rage events when they're on

TWC Fight shows some MMA, but I'm not sure what exactly

ITV4 will be showing Cage Gladiators from May

The Extreme Sports Channel shows some MMA, I can't remember the name of the promotion but it's low-level stuff

That's all I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks Fozzy ... id noticed it had dried up a bit. Ill keep an eye out for stuff. Cheers

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le was a good fight, worth checking out

• Advertisement

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le was a good fight, worth checking out

Here it is: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wdqy_frank-shamrock-vs-cung-le_sport

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement