Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

With the exception of Fedor everyone on that list is a Zuffa fighter.

Does this guy watch MMA or just UFC/WEC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

which non-zuffa fighters do you think are top ten.

I have always felt BJ Penn should be higher up the list, I dont think Rampage should be in the top half of the list at all, and I would rate GSP lower until he fights Serra, hard to argue with Silva though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dragan wrote: »
    With the exception of Fedor everyone on that list is a Zuffa fighter.

Does this guy watch MMA or just UFC/WEC?
    It's voted on by these 15 people: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Links-to-MMA-poll-participants;_ylt=AgbOdmv.lJwTZLpkh8eb2WtWEo14?urn=mma,50840

dunkamania wrote: »

I have always felt BJ Penn should be higher up the list, I dont think Rampage should be in the top half of the list at all, and I would rate GSP lower until he fights Serra, hard to argue with Silva though

Rampage was the first undisputed champ. Plus he hasnt lost in a long time now so he's definitely top 10 for me.

Its hard to justify that many nin-Zuffa guys as top 10 lately based on inactivity for a start. Gilbert Melendez was a good call but his recent defeat knocked him back. Kawajiri, JZ and Gomi are all solid calls but for me Gomis "loss" to Diaz still has to be considered even though it was ruled a NC. Barnett maybe. otherwise there isnt anyone out there who even gets a sniff of P4P top twen that isnt under contract with Zuffa.

• Advertisement

dunkamania wrote: »

Yeah, Silva is deserving of the top spot alright. He has done a great job of dismantaling a decent range of opponents!

For me, despite the whole Diaz thing and a degree of inactivity you could make an argument for Gomi in the top ten. I reckon Aoki and Kid deserve a spot in there as well. Then again, Top 10's will always be very subjective i guess!

Dragan wrote: »
    Yeah, Silva is deserving of the top spot alright. He has done a great job of dismantaling a decent range of opponents!

For me, despite the whole Diaz thing and a degree of inactivity you could make an argument for Gomi in the top ten. I reckon Aoki and Kid deserve a spot in there as well. Then again, Top 10's will always be very subjective i guess!

Dunno how in the name of God i left Kid out there! Legend that he is and all! For me Aoki is not P4P top 10. I think JZ will destroy him in their rematch.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6040&zoneid=13

Good to see the part of the article where Alves says that karo called his trainer to apologise for his actions after the fight. i was very disappointed that Karo made such a fuss bearing in mind he went completely limp for about 3 seconds. As Alves says here, I think the punches woke him up.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6039&zoneid=2
    Looks like DREAM may have a legitimate chance to grow into a top top org. Wonder if Zuffa would let them keep Mirko then...

Ah there we go lads, sorry for the post spam of 3 in succession but just noticed we have 1000 posts on this thread, its now a bonafide superthread!! Maybe we should just ask for an MMA sub forum or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

That idea has come up before...
    I actually don't understand the concept of pound for pound lists.
    BJ went up a weight class to soundly wreck a long time champion in probably the most competitive weight division in arguably the top MMA organisation in the World. So he's my vote.

• Advertisement

Check out this pic of UFC ring girl Edith Larente (worksafe)

http://fightlinker.com/blog/?p=1934

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

I was reading this with my Jaw on the floor.

So thanks Neil for giving Kid the mention he deserves!!

Kid for me is almost always top of the p4p list because he's so tiny. A world class wrestler who starts MMA, learns some thai and does decently in k-1! Can anyone think of a striker who did anything like that?

Simply put, if you scale kid up to 170 who do you see beat him? Then 185? And if you scale kid up to 220 then thats just nuts. The guy would wreck everyone.

Rampage definately does not belong in a top 10 p4p list.

Anderson, Fedor, Kid, Penn, GSP, Gomi, Hughes, Frank Shamrock, Dan Henderson.

Peace

Anderson, Fedor, Kid, Penn, GSP, Gomi, Hughes, Frank Shamrock, Dan Henderson.

Peace

Like that article said, how can you put Frank in there when he's 2-2 since returning, and one win was against a guy making his debut and the other was against a guy who'd lost three of their last four fights? I love Frank, but he hasn't proven that he belongs there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I'll be vaguely controversial and say that I think Fedor has no place in a top ten pound for pound listing.

Yes, he is arguably the best heavyweight in the world right now (although I think Randy would beat him in a cage), but he has never finished a top five fighter to my recollection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Fedor is a different animal in terms of p4p rankings. The way I see it is like this, if you scale up kid to be the same weight of any other fighter he pretty much wrecks them all. Including if he was the same weight as Fedor.

Its when I watch Fedor that I'm most impressed. Watching him I just think wow he's on another level.

Frank is in my p4p because again, if he was a heavy weight he'd do well. When he was in his prime wrecking everyone he used to gain weight to fight (by the power of modern science) which is pretty stagering considering the lenghts people go to to loose weight for fights.

Peace

rank is in my p4p because again, if he was a heavy weight he'd do well. When he was in his prime wrecking everyone he used to gain weight to fight (by the power of modern science) which is pretty stagering considering the lenghts people go to to loose weight for fights.

Peace

I get what you're saying, but if you don't scale him up then he hasn't got the most impressive record in his natural division. He may be worthy of a place, my point is just that he hasn't proven it since his return

Frank is in my p4p because again, if he was a heavy weight he'd do well. When he was in his prime wrecking everyone he used to gain weight to fight (by the power of modern science) which is pretty stagering considering the lenghts people go to to loose weight for fights.

Peace

no arguement that Frank is a legend, but I dont think he is top 10 anymore

I gotta disagree about Frank Fianna. I love Frank, he's an all time legend but beating Bryan Pardoe, Phil Baroni and a debuting Gracie doesnt mirror that he looked terrible against Renzo and just lost to Cung Le. Anything else before that is over 7 years ago and cant make him P4P number 1 now. I also disagree about Hughes, Hughes won most of his fights by being the bigger stronger guy, P4P that just makes him a talented bully. GSP wrecked him twice, BJ wrecked him once and scared the life outta him the other time. Hughes is one of the al time greats for what he achieved but IMO is not top 10 P4P anymore, although he definitely was.

Anyone who says Rampage isnt top 10 right now....he was the first undisputed champ, has beaten Lindland (same as Fedor), Hendo, KO'd Chuck and basically hasnt lost in exactly 3 years. he's reinvented himself as a fighter, came back much improved and re dedicated. IMO he has to be top 10.

My top ten in no particular order is: Kid Yamamoto, Urijah Faber, Kawijiri, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, GSP, Rampage, Fedor, Randy and Gilbert Melendez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Clive wrote: »
    I'll be vaguely controversial and say that I think Fedor has no place in a top ten pound for pound listing.

Yes, he is arguably the best heavyweight in the world right now (although I think Randy would beat him in a cage), but he has never finished a top five fighter to my recollection.
    That's seriously mad. I don't know which you find more important, that he didn't "finish" guys or that he wasn't fighting top class opposition. Whatever about his UFC career, I'd definitely say Mirko was top class, especially at the time. He beat Big Nog twice and just because he didn't finish the fight doesn't mean he didn't solidly beat him both times. And let's not forget he tapped out a very tall man in less than two minutes - clearly the greatest fighter of all time.
    Anyone who says Rampage isnt top 10 right now....he was the first undisputed champ..
    That is amazing and all, but really just boils down to the fact that he beat an undersized Hendo in his first fight in a cage for however many years. Obviously that's not easy or anything.

In my mind GSP is overated in the P4P ratings, at least until his rematch with Matt Serra.

The mentally strong GSP is awesome, and his wrestling is much improved, but their is still that nagging doubt about which GSP will turn up for any given fight.

Also, he seems to be more reluctant to strike with opponents since getting KO'd, interesting to see if he stands with Serra.

• Advertisement

Fedor vs Sylvia, July 19th, probably Dallas, confirmed by Fedor:
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12220

This should be fun!

Just came in to post that.

Finallly a ranked opponent to stop the doubters!! Come on Fedor!

Excellent. I genuinely think an on form Tim is a more awkward for Fedor than most people will give him credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

goo wrote: »
    That's seriously mad. I don't know which you find more important, that he didn't "finish" guys or that he wasn't fighting top class opposition. Whatever about his UFC career, I'd definitely say Mirko was top class, especially at the time. He beat Big Nog twice and just because he didn't finish the fight doesn't mean he didn't solidly beat him both times.

Nog was the best heavyweight in the world when Fedor first beat him. Crocop was second only to Fedor when the Russian beat him. Both of those victories cemented him as the best heavyweight at the time. However, in terms of pound for pound rankings, being the best in your weight category isn't enough.

BJ Penn, GSP and Anderson Silva are three guys who are at the top of their divisions too, but they steamrollered though the top contenders, whereas Fedor couldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭starrywalsh

Fador to win with armbar submittion in the second min of the first round ...... Tim ain't good enough to beat him.

I would be laughing so hard if Tim pulled off the upset, check out the pic in the below link, nice size difference

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/4/8/154513/9006

Fador to win with armbar submittion in the second min of the first round ...... Tim ain't good enough to beat him.

LoL, your not giving Tim, his camp, or Pat a whole lot of credit are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Fozzy wrote: »
    Fedor vs Sylvia, July 19th, probably Dallas, confirmed by Fedor:
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12220

This should be fun!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!

At last, a decent fight involving Fedor, it's been a while, great news
    Hope Fedors ring rustiness with quality opposition does not come back to haunt him in this one, Tim is big awkward and losing an arm soon :)

Is it gonna be in a cage or a ring does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Is it gonna be in a cage or a ring does anyone know?

Well Fedor's management has now said contracts are close to being signed which kind of puts the brakes on my excitement.

I imagine it will be in a ring?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement