Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Anyone who thinks sylvia will be a walk over is in la la land!
    Tim is a nightnmare to fight and is always a danger too..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dragan wrote: »
    I imagine it will be in a ring?

I'd guess cage, unless Fedor's management get a big say. For a new MMA promotion in the US to use a ring would be a poor idea, as the association between the cage and MMA is ingrained in most fans' minds

It won't be easy for Fedor, but looking at how Sylvia's last fight went I think he'll manage it. Fedor's a lot better at takedowns than Nogueira, and once it's on the ground he's going to have the big advantage. He's also better at stand-up than Nogueira. It'll be interesting nonetheless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Clive wrote: »
    Nog was the best heavyweight in the world when Fedor first beat him. Crocop was second only to Fedor when the Russian beat him. Both of those victories cemented him as the best heavyweight at the time. However, in terms of pound for pound rankings, being the best in your weight category isn't enough.

BJ Penn, GSP and Anderson Silva are three guys who are at the top of their divisions too, but they steamrollered though the top contenders, whereas Fedor couldn't do that.

Well what I think is great about Fedor is that he's so well rounded but at the same time completely unorthodox. BJ, GSP and A. Silva all have a great ground game but it comes from BJJ, all three trained exclusively for a certain period in pure BJJ. Fedor's ground comes from sombo and judo. Also where as the other three lads clinch comes from American and Free style wrestling Fedor's is all Judo and Russian wrestling. Fedors stand up is also unique in my opinion but I can't really explain it.

Agreed Fedor didn't stop any of his peers but he did beat the crap out of them for almost the entire fights. Yes BJ, GSP and AS blitzed through their UFC opponents but Fedor completely overwhelmed his opponents in all ranges for almost the entire distance.

And dont forget that Fedor outstruck Mirko, out sub grappled Nog etc.

The only people who have put Fedor in read trouble so far are the strong wrestlers (Fujita is a wrestler who rocked him off a faked shot, Lindland gave him fits and cut him faking the shot and throwing the overhand, Coleman put him on his back the first fight and quickly got arm barred) For me the big threats to Fedor are Randy and Barnett. IMO Fedor will beat Tim but not as easily as some are suggesting.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4106/thiago-alves-will-fight-for-title-after-jon-fitch.mma

Looks like Alves gets a shot right off the coat tails of beating Karo despite his juicing.

Karo must be kicking himself, he;s the one guy who keeps getting close to a title shot and then losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Karo must be kicking himself, he;s the one guy who keeps getting close to a title shot and then losing.

Yea I almost feel sorry for Karo, cos he is an exciting fighter to be fair, but he's shown up for a fight outta shape on more than one occasion.
    .....you'd forgive anyone once

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I officially hate Karo now!
    i lost a fortune betting on him winning, could not believe when i heard he lost, and because he was out of shape! awful..:mad:

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Fedor recovers super-quick from hard shots and has great take-downs from clinch range which will make him a tough opponent for Tim. I also think that, rather than having one aspect of his game which is air-tight, Fedor's success has come mostly because he's so adaptable and quickly figures out his opponents strengths and strategy and works around them. I think that this will be one of Tim's best fights to date (as in most entertaining) but I'd say the longer it goes on the more likely he is to be taken down and beaten. I'd imagine that as long as he (Tim) is standing he should be ok.

For Fedor I think this is a very smart fight to take - he's quickly right back in the spot-light again against a high quality opponent. Not only that but it's a great response to Dana's comments (which are presumably meant to either force him to fight in the UFC or down-grade his abilities as being less than that which is on offer in the UFC). If he beats Tim who has been at the top of the UFC HW division for so long, and given he's already beaten Nog twice, his position in relation to the talent in the UFC HW division becomes indisputable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

How is Tim gonna be more of a challenge than Hong Man Choi?

I see Tim V Fedor a lot like Arlovski's initial quick sub win over him.

But just imagine if Tim beat Fedor!! Wow! I kinda hope he does now, it would be so shocking.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I predict Sylvia winning by doctor stoppage due to cuts in 2nd round.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

just came across some footage of Anderson Silva training, pretty intense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DghW3qL80Ig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

t-ha wrote: »
    Fedor recovers super-quick from hard shots and has great take-downs from clinch range which will make him a tough opponent for Tim.

So does Cabage and look what happened him! Now i am not saying that Tim will be able to bully Fedor as he did Cabage but he should be able to stun him and if he can pounch on it at the time then the man is in with a shot.

For me, the second Tim starts moving backward in this fight it's over. Thats fine when your opponent is looking to shoot, but not when they are looking to clinch up and take you down.Eventually your end up with you back to something and i really don't think that Tim has ever close to the type of ground game it will take to survive Fedor.

Tim's biggest advantage in this is that he won't be afraid of Fedor. I mean, why should he? He can hit, he has speed for a big guy, a great corner and will have a fantastic camp. At the very very least Tim can pull off a "moment", a Randleman of a Hunt style "oh ****" reaction in all of us.

Completely agree with you on why it is a good fight for Fedor promotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Tim's biggest advantage in this is that he won't be afraid of Fedor. I mean, why should he?

If and I did use the word if, Fedor puts Silivia on his back, he should be concerned/border line afraid!

I think it'll be a very intriguing fight. Can't wait to see it.

Dragan should have said: "Tim's biggest advantage in this is that he won't be afraid of Fedor. I mean, why should he?.... He's a cocky idiot." hahaha

Nah this should be good, and Dunk is quite right about the possibility of a Dr Stop with Fedors "weak girly skin".

Peace

If and I did use the word if, Fedor puts Silivia on his back, he should be concerned/border line afraid!

Fianna covered it for me i think! Tim will believe he can beat Fedor and thats why it will be a good fight!!!

A key issue here for me is if this fight takes place in a cage or not, I dont think it will affect this fight much, but it would be key for the follow up fight of Fedor Randy. Personally I think Randy can take Fedor in a cage.

dunkamania wrote: »
    A key issue here for me is if this fight takes place in a cage or not, I dont think it will affect this fight much, but it would be key for the follow up fight of Fedor Randy. Personally I think Randy can take Fedor in a cage.

I agree with you. Randy made a damn fine career out of taking advantage of what the cage allowed him to do.

Fedor would need to spend a LONG time working on the differences.

Also, am i the only person who would love to see Arona fight Fedor again?

I still think he was robbed in Rings.

I agree with you. Randy made a damn fine career out of taking advantage of what the cage allowed him to do.

Fedor would need to spend a LONG time working on the differences.

Also, am i the only person who would love to see Arona fight Fedor again?

I still think he was robbed in Rings.

The rings rules allowed Arrona to get away with things he wouldnt get away with now. i think fedor would murder him under normal MMA rules.

The rings rules allowed Arrona to get away with things he wouldnt get away with now. i think fedor would murder him under normal MMA rules.

I don't know, i like Arona as a fighter....sure like any other fighter he has had poor fights and off days but i just love his style when he is completely in the fight. I would love to see them take another go off each other....although that will sadly never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

IS Arona still even training? Fedor is going to maul Tim Sylvia in every range.

• Advertisement

I don't know, i like Arona as a fighter....sure like any other fighter he has had poor fights and off days but i just love his style when he is completely in the fight. I would love to see them take another go off each other....although that will sadly never happen.

I doubt it personally. Fedor tooled Nog on the ground and Nog has a better ground game from the bottom than Arona. Arona is great at control but he's a decision merchant and doesnt do enough damage. Stand up wise Arona basically has an unbelievable leg kick but is scared to fully engage in boxing range and shoots at every opportuniy which IMO is not how you beat fedor. I dont see Arona taking fedor down regularly enough. In RINGS Arona got a lot of takedowns but the rules there were no head shots on the ground and in his RINGS fights Fedor often gave up the bottom to work for subs because his patented ground and pound was useless since he wasnt allowed strike the head. I dont see Arona taking Fedor down now to be honest.

The Arona you're talking about is the one who fought Overeem/Hendo etc but even on that form I dont think he has enough to beat Fedor.

Also Arona has been inactive for a while now, since he got KO'd by Soku.

I doubt it personally. Fedor tooled Nog on the ground and Nog has a better ground game from the bottom than Arona. Arona is great at control but he's a decision merchant and doesnt do enough damage. Stand up wise Arona basically has an unbelievable leg kick but is scared to fully engage in boxing range and shoots at every opportuniy which IMO is not how you beat fedor. I dont see Arona taking fedor down regularly enough. In RINGS Arona got a lot of takedowns but the rules there were no head shots on the ground and in his RINGS fights Fedor often gave up the bottom to work for subs because his patented ground and pound was useless since he wasnt allowed strike the head. I dont see Arona taking Fedor down now to be honest.

The Arona you're talking about is the one who fought Overeem/Hendo etc but even on that form I dont think he has enough to beat Fedor.

Also Arona has been inactive for a while now, since he got KO'd by Soku.

Don't get me wrong, every point you are making is absolutely spot on, but i always compare fighters and think i might see a good fight and it instills my desire to see that fight. I mean, i read how Tim would tool Randy standing, how GSP would murder Serra, how Cro Cop would knock the head off Gonzaga ( and dammit i thought that myself! ) and yet all this other stuff happened.

I'm not saying Arona would win.... I'm just saying it would make for a good fight in my view and that the man deserves his chance.

Your right... Arond doesnt do enough damage.. but your forgetting the single most important factor... Fedor's weak girly skin haha

Peace

Don't get me wrong, every point you are making is absolutely spot on, but i always compare fighters and think i might see a good fight and it instills my desire to see that fight. I mean, i read how Tim would tool Randy standing, how GSP would murder Serra, how Cro Cop would knock the head off Gonzaga ( and dammit i thought that myself! ) and yet all this other stuff happened.

I'm not saying Arona would win.... I'm just saying it would make for a good fight in my view and that the man deserves his chance.

I know what you're saying and you're right I just feel that Arona lacks the kind of bite required to beat a guy like Fedor to be honest. But thats my personal opinion and the only way we could know for sure is if they fought.

But yea, I got all those fights wrong too (except Tim vs Randy...I always think Tims boxing is over rated and I thought Randy would beat him the same way he beat Chuck) but GSP/Serra....WRONG!.....Crocop/Gonzaga...WRONG!.....Chuck/Jardine .....WRONG...... Forrest/Shogun....WRONG!

Your right... Arond doesnt do enough damage.. but your forgetting the single most important factor... Fedor's weak girly skin haha

Peace

True that but lying on a guy wont cut him no matter how girly his skin is ;):D

Plus cutting him didnt work out too well for Lindalnd! :pac::pac::pac:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6064&zoneid=13

Not quite MMA related but Im in the right forum anyway....Couture vs Angle in a sub grappling match, not quite a reality just yet.

GSP/Serra....WRONG!.....Crocop/Gonzaga...WRONG!.....Chuck/Jardine .....WRONG...... Forrest/Shogun....WRONG!

Nobody will hold it against you for getting those ones wrong. :D

Anyone else wondering how the Tim Fedor fight is supposed to make money?
    Apparently Fedor's $2million price tag has been met, and Tim will be looking for min $250k + $250k. On the other hand, Fedor vs Lindland only did 13,000 PPV buys, and Tim isnt exactly a fan favourite.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Anyone else wondering how the Tim Fedor fight is supposed to make money?
    Apparently Fedor's $2million price tag has been met, and Tim will be looking for min $250k + $250k. On the other hand, Fedor vs Lindland only did 13,000 PPV buys, and Tim isnt exactly a fan favourite.

It won't to be honest, unless they are planning on using it as a launch for a totally new promotion with an already established TV deal.

If the fight was happening in Japan then yeah.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6064&zoneid=13

Not quite MMA related but Im in the right forum anyway....Couture vs Angle in a sub grappling match, not quite a reality just yet.

The shock! As I said a few pages back, Angle is just creating the illusion that he's serious about MMA. Don't take anything he says seriously

There's a few rumours going round of what will take place on the Fedor/Sylvia undercard. I think it's too soon to speculate, but take these for what they're worth:

Arlovski vs Ben Rothwell
    Barnett vs Rizzo
    Babalu vs Mike Whitehead
    And Lindland and Aleksander Emelianenko fighting on the card too

That's not the sort of lineup that's going to make them much money. In reality, Arlovski's the only guy there that they can sell to an American audience. It'd be fun to watch though

Making its debut tonight is YAMMA Pit Fighting. It's run by one of the original owners of the UFC. They're running an eight man heavyweight tournament, the most well known guys in it are Travis Wiuff and Ricco Rodriguez . Also on it is Butterbean vs Pat Smith and Oleg Taktorov vs Mark Kerr. This is a promotion that I don't see lasting very long. They've got a unique fighting surface though, it's a cage with a raised floor towards the edges, so it's hard to press someone up against the fence

I'm curious to see what happens with there cage design.

If it was in Pride there would be murders to be honest.

• Advertisement

I'm curious to see what happens with there cage design.

If it was in Pride there would be murders to be honest.

With YAMMA you mean? There's a pic here where you can sort of make it out: http://i31.tinypic.com/iehzb4.jpg

Those fences don't look too sturdy actually, I wonder if they'll cope if anyone does push into them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement