Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Serra's a bad matchup for Georges if he's not completely focused. Standing up, we already know that if Matt can just get one of his hard punches in then it can be over. He mightn't be technically sound, but Serra hits heavy

Georges has got brilliant takedowns, but once they're down he's playing into Serra's main strength. It'll be interesting to see GSP's strategy for the fight. I have a feeling that he'll try keep it standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lfc85

some of you are off yer heads if you think the upcoming ufc is a good card. its probably the weakest on paper since ufc 78 where we had the bull**** main event between evans and bisping. i am in a way lookin forward to the main event just so i see serra get ktfo in the first round but all the other matches are ifl/elite-xc caliber at best. even the last ufn had better quality fighters and match ups and that wasnt even a ppv in the states.
    with all the talent in the ufc its disappointin they didnt put together a better card.
    ufc 84 on the other hand is probably up there with the new years eve card, ufc 79 as bein 1 of the best ufc cards ever. cant wait for it,but then again any time wandy is fightin its always somethin to look forward to
    oh and cant wait for for fedor to pull tim sylvias arm off when they fight in june

lfc85 wrote: »
    some of you are off yer heads if you think the upcoming ufc is a good card. its probably the weakest on paper since ufc 78 where we had the bull**** main event between evans and bisping.

I don't think anyone's mentioned anything about the card apart from Serra/GSP. Personally the rest of the card doesn't interest me a whole lot but the Canadians are going to be an awesome crowd for at least the three fights featuring Canadians, and that can make good fights into great fights
    i am in a way lookin forward to the main event just so i see serra get ktfo in the first round

Just like when they last fought, right?!

I was just reading this, we won't be hearing much of Hong Man Choi for the next 2+ years, he has to serve compulsory military time: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/04/136_22573.html

And he'll be spending it in an office or something, as he didn't pass the physical for combat duty. Bit of a pity for his fighting career

yea but lightning doesnt strike twice...
    i can see the same outcome as crocop-randelman 2.
    anyone can throw a lucky punch,just ask crocop but he showed in their rematch it was 1 helluva flukey punch from randelman, just like what serra did to st.pierre

• Advertisement

good riddence what i say.
    Giant SILVA is way better!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

anyone can throw a lucky punch,just ask crocop but he showed in their rematch it was 1 helluva flukey punch from randelman, just like what serra did to st.pierre

Am I alone in thinking there is no lucky punches??? IF u throw a punch and it connects it's not luck. It's exactly what you wanted to happen

Am I alone in thinking there is no lucky punches??? IF u throw a punch and it connects it's not luck. It's exactly what you wanted to happen

That's always been my thinking. Serra was aiming to hit GSP in the face, and that's exactly what he did. Was he lucky that GSP wasn't ready to defend it? No luckier than a wrestler who takes down an opponent who's not ready or a BJJ black belt who latches onto an arm when their opponent's not ready. Fighting is often about capitalising on mistakes, so if GSP made one then fair play to Serra

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4154/rich-franklin-ready-for-a-different-type-of-fight.mma

Good article about rich "Ace" Franklin. Fair play to the lad, he's had a rough time of it recently.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6101&zoneid=2

Also, looks like Bodog is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

LoL, i have been told i throw "lucky punches" when i would plant lads who were faster and more technically sound than me. The simple fact is that the punch that landed is the punch i made land. I don't buy into "lucky punches" myself.

Also, which of the numerous punches that Serra put on GSP would you consider to have been the lucky one?

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL, i have been told i throw "lucky punches" when i would plant lads who were faster and more technically sound than me. The simple fact is that the punch that landed is the punch i made land. I don't buy into "lucky punches" myself.

Also, which of the numerous punches that Serra put on GSP would you consider to have been the lucky one?

I have to agree. Its the same as in soccer when the likes of Bolton/West Ham etc would beat the Man Uniteds/Arsenals etc, its not luck, they played better on the day. Same goes for fighting, u wont find too many people to argue that Serra is better than GSP but there was no luck in how that fight went down. Serra clearly watched how vulnerable St Pierre was when forced into moving backwards (Round 1 vs BJ Penn) and decided that this was his best chance to beat GSP. No luck, just good plannin and execution. I want GSP to win on Saturday but lets give Serra his dues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

A lucky punch to me would suggest that he was not trying to hit him in the head, but did so anyway. Just doesn't make sense.

If i'm rolling with a guy and he leaves an arm in when passing my guard, is it considered lucky if I triangle him? Or am I just capitalising on a mistake made?

Lucky doesn't really come in to it IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

dunkamania wrote: »

True but Serra is at 7-2, im gonna put some money on him anyway!

dunkamania wrote: »

Randy isn't that great at picking winners, I think Gonzaga over Cro Cop was his only impressive one. Everything else he's gone with guys on his team (like Forrest Griffin over Shogun) or the favourite. He went with GSP over Serra last year!

neil, where do you bet on mma. i doubt the likes of boylesports or paddy powers would take bets on it
    would love to be able to bet on the franklin-lutter match since lutter is an outsider at 7/2 with the bookies in the states even tho i see the fight goin to lutter.
    odds on serra winnin are pretty good as well but id personally wouldnt bet on him even if he was 50/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_search&sClass=-1&sCriteria=ufc

link to betting on Paddypower.

They are not taking bets on the main events anymore as far as i am aware.

I was looking at the odds the other day from some American site, the underdogs all have very long odds. I'd almost guarantee that one of the fights is going to have an upset, it happens so often. If you picked the right match then you'd make a very nice profit

****, I was plannin on throwin a chunk a change on Serra after I watch the weigh ins.:(

• Advertisement

I think they are, they're listed on this page: http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPORTS&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=172&ev_type_id=9668&ev_oc_grp_ids=60111&bir_index=

nice one,i didnt think paddy powers took bets on ufc
    might throw a few bob down on lutter so
    just think his grappling and ground game will be too much for rich
    probably win by ud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I use bodog for betting purposes, 3-1 on Serra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just done a treble on Quarry, Lutter & GSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Jacare versus Trigg in Dream MW GP! Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Update:

Trigg-Jacare NOT Set for DREAM 2; Diaz Verbally Accepts Garcia Fight (Updated) :(

http://www.mmaontap.com/mma/entry/trigg-jacare-set-for-dream-2-diaz-verbally-accepts-garcia-fight/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Trigg-Jacare NOT Set for DREAM 2
    :(

Diaz Verbally Accepts Garcia Fight
    :D

Could well be equally interesting.

Looks like it'll be Fitch vs GSP next according to Fitch: http://mmamania.com/2008/04/20/ufc-quick-quote-jon-fitch-makes-a-prediction-for-georges-st-pierre-fight/

Personally I see GSP taking that one similar to how he took Koscheck apart...wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

glad to see GSP win and great show of class from serra at the end. those knees to the ribs looked fair sore.

Where does franklin go from here though, he's second best in the division but doesnt look like winning any rematch against silva. Lutter is a joke, he took one punch from Rich and then proceeded with a 2 dimensional game of poor, slow takedown attempts and then after all his pre fight talk, embarrassingly gassed (again)

bisbing looked great at 185, his barrages of knees and strikes mustve took some energy. was hoping he'd put more of a hurting on mcCarthy though after his antics.

havent been on the UFC site yet but anyone know what was going on with starnes? looked pathetic running away and the points scoring at the end was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Yea dying to hear what Starnes has to say for himself. Goldberg and Florian were suggesting he might not have been 100%, but he never threatened with anything, had no intention, just nothing.
    Can't find anything about it yet but will be interesting. Unless he has a good explanation I don't see dana setting up any more fights for starnes in the near future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement