Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

No offence to Kalib but i could never understand what he was doing in the cage in the first place.

Sure he has this fantastic BJJ we here so much about but dammit man try the ****ing Mundials or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

That fight was bizarre, Kalib's heart has been questioned in the past though.

Can someone explain Quarry's hand gesture?

As an aside, this fight may have cost Quarry a lot of money, he is usually a contender for KO or fight of the night, and UFC were paying $75k this time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

dunkamania wrote: »

He was just takin the piss, like he was a robot comin to attack Starnes. Starnes still ran away from him though... There's not a chance that Starnes will fight in the UFC again now

All the bonuses went to undercard fights. Would've liked to see those three instead of the Starnes fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

they shouldve made a new trophy for knee of the night and given it to Danzig, id say the impact point for that knee was somewhere outside the ring

Kalib claimed in an interview that he was gonna finish Nate with an arm triangle in round one.

Funny since I believe he tried exactly zero takedowns.

• Advertisement

he got nate down once, for about 2 seconds

Ah yes I forgot about that, the hypnotic rhythm of his running in circles made me forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I just read that Starnes has been on a radio show in Canada explaining his inaction during the fight.

Apparently it was a form of protest as he knew it was the last fight on his contract and he didn't want to re-sign to the UFC as when he hurt his ribs vs Groove the UFC offered no monetary compensation for his medical bills. He says many fighters get hurt during fights and the UFC does nothing to help them out.

This is unsourced right now as i can find any links to recordings of the show but apparently his gym are holding a press conference on Wednesday.

All i can say is Kalib ****ed up. He badly affected a fellow fighter with his bull**** and there are better ways to make you thoughts known that costing other fighters a better place on a card and pissing off fans who have shelled out for a pay per view.

All Starnes has done is signal himself out as a bit of cry baby and if i were a promoter i sure as **** wouldn't sign him to fight and as a fan i sure as hell won't ever pay.

Interview with Quarry: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1548

After the fight Kalib said "real classy" to Quarry. Now for me thats out of line, he turns out with no respect for Quarry or the fans and then accuses Nate of having no class? Nate probably gained a whole new fanbase last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LifrupArheM

Check that out while it's still there. Hilarious. Kalib Starnes is a disgrace to MMA and he can look back at this moment in ten years and know why he now works in a call centre or something.

• Advertisement

http://mmamania.com/2008/04/21/roy-jones-jr-dana-white-is-crying-like-a-little-girl-video/

Roy jones Jr discussing Dana;s stance on his potential match up with Anderson Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Wacker wrote: »
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LifrupArheM

Check that out while it's still there. Hilarious. Kalib Starnes is a disgrace to MMA and he can look back at this moment in ten years and know why he now works in a call centre or something.

Brilliant! :D

Whats peoples thoughts on the main event stopage? At first I thought it was premature but looking again at replays Serra just gave up. Wouldn't fancy too many of those knees to my own ribcage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Kazooie wrote: »
    Brilliant! :D

Whats peoples thoughts on the main event stopage? At first I thought it was premature but looking again at replays Serra just gave up. Wouldn't fancy too many of those knees to my own ribcage.
    It was unusual to see a stoppage when no strikes were being landed on Serra's head alright. Remember in the Herring Vs Kongo fight, Herring was slamming knees into Kongo's side for about forty seconds without even a warning from the ref that he would stop it. I suppose the difference is that Herring's knees were coming into Kongo's gut (not too bad), while GSP was likely to start breaking ribs if he wasn't stopped.
    I agree with the decision.

Bad news for anyone going to the UFC show in London in June...Chuck's injured

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/04/21/report-liddell-injured-ufc-85-main-event-cancelled/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Serrra tapped with his hand and then tapped verbally.

Good stoppage.

Peace

Rashad is gonna be pulled too, I had zero interest in that main event, wonder who they will replace it with.

Seperately, Dana is quoted as saying he would re-sign Babalu after he got a few quality wins under his belt.

Rashad is gonna be pulled too, I had zero interest in that main event, wonder who they will replace it with.

Seperately, Dana is quoted as saying he would re-sign Babalu after he got a few quality wins under his belt.

Yea I wasnt overly excited about seeing it, I wanted to see Chuck fight for the novelty of it. Im hopin they move Wandy vs Jardine back 2 weeks.

Wand Versus McGov, I mean Techno Viking, I mean Jardine is a wwwwaaaaayyyyy more interesting fight that Chuck and Rashad.

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Fozzy wrote: »
    Bad news for anyone going to the UFC show in London in June...Chuck's injured

well pi$$ed off about this. was looking forward to seeing chuck fight. funnily enough i had a feeling they might have been using him to sell tickets and i could never have seen him travelling to fight in the uk. guess my worst fears have come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

they shouldve made a new trophy for knee of the night and given it to Danzig, id say the impact point for that knee was somewhere outside the ring

They should also have one for comedian of the night
    Stand up Mr Quarry all those antics made what was a terrible fight into at least something a little amusing in the end
    and also 'If you can change' and ' I can change' ...................
    Pure Gold :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    'If you can change' and ' I can change' ...................
    Pure Gold :D

Defo the best part of the night, hilarious!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Wand Versus McGov, I mean Techno Viking, I mean Jardine is a wwwwaaaaayyyyy more interesting fight that Chuck and Rashad.

Peace

It is more interesting, but not to the paying public. Chuck is the guy everyone wants to see, and with him off the card now this show becomes very unlikely to do well for the UFC

Rashad will be fighting James Irvin and Vera vs Werdum is now the scheduled main event. I'd say they're working hard on getting a marquee name to fight on the show but there doesn't seem to be much available

Photo of Chuck's hamstring here: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11489

I am the paying public!!

They've already sold 10k tickets, apparently.

Peace

P.S. Technically, "Dark Warrior" is the paying public. haha, but I'll pay him back when I see him.

I am the paying public!!

They've already sold 10k tickets, apparently.

Peace

P.S. Technically, "Dark Warrior" is the paying public. haha, but I'll pay him back when I see him.

It's not the tickets the UFC have to worry about, it's their PPV buys

Saw some stuff in here about the Affliction event before

If this turns out to be true it should be good:

http://www.mmafrenzy.com/rumors/affliction-july-19-2008/

It is more interesting, but not to the paying public. Chuck is the guy everyone wants to see, and with him off the card now this show becomes very unlikely to do well for the UFC

Rashad will be fighting James Irvin and Vera vs Werdum is now the scheduled main event. I'd say they're working hard on getting a marquee name to fight on the show but there doesn't seem to be much available

Photo of Chuck's hamstring here: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11489

Has Irvin been confirmed? They really should move Wand vs Jardine up.

Also, nice the way u cant see Chucks face

Saw some stuff in here about the Affliction event before

If this turns out to be true it should be good:

http://www.mmafrenzy.com/rumors/affliction-july-19-2008/

That is a very good lineup. The problem is, Arlovski's the only guy there who's going to sell PPVs. And if they don't make enough money they could be out of business after one show. Very risky show I think, especially as a lot of those guys aren't going to come cheap

Has Irvin been confirmed? They really should move Wand vs Jardine up.

Not officially, but he's been contacted and it looks like he's accepted from what I've heard. Apparently they've asked Bisping to fight on the show too. They're going to have 13 fights on the show, more than any UFC event in over a decade

That is a very good lineup. The problem is, Arlovski's the only guy there who's going to sell PPVs. And if they don't make enough money they could be out of business after one show. Very risky show I think, especially as a lot of those guys aren't going to come cheap

Are the japanese based fighters that poorly known in America ?
    I thought Fedor and Barnett would sell PPV's they are both exciting fighters imo

• Advertisement

Are the japanese based fighters that poorly known in America ?
    I thought Fedor and Barnett would sell PPV's they are both exciting fighters imo

Fedor and Barnett both fought on PRIDE 32 in the US last year and it did about 45,000 PPV buys. That's about seven times less than a UFC PPV headlined by Bisping and Rashad did! They just aren't well known enough and they've got no real promotional power behind them. The hardcore fans will pay for it but the casual fans are unlikely to, and that's where the money's made and lost. I'd like to see them make a success of it, but it's going to be a difficult task

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement