Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

Fozzy wrote: »
    That is a very good lineup. The problem is, Arlovski's the only guy there who's going to sell PPVs. And if they don't make enough money they could be out of business after one show. Very risky show I think, especially as a lot of those guys aren't going to come cheap

I think that the excitement that the hardcore fans will generate may help it a lot. "Big Tim vs that guy Randy wasts to fight" could do suprisingly well.
    Not officially, but he's been contacted and it looks like he's accepted from what I've heard. Apparently they've asked Bisping to fight on the show too. They're going to have 13 fights on the show, more than any UFC event in over a decade

Hmmmm, there goes my dream of seeing Wand so :( Still though, 13 fights is pretty sweet!

Fedor and Barnett both fought on PRIDE 32 in the US last year and it did about 45,000 PPV buys. That's about seven times less than a UFC PPV headlined by Bisping and Rashad did! They just aren't well known enough and they've got no real promotional power behind them. The hardcore fans will pay for it but the casual fans are unlikely to, and that's where the money's made and lost. I'd like to see them make a success of it, but it's going to be a difficult task

One thing is that PRIDE did an awful job of promoting that card. Gary Millen should be put down. I think Affliction will do a better job being an american company and probably understanding the US market better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

That is an impressive card, better than the next UFC in London, but it could be a huge loss leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think that the excitement that the hardcore fans will generate may help it a lot. !

How? Are they going to be so excited they'll each order a subscription to HDNET twice? Hardcore fans get excited all the time. They got excited when Pride came to the US the first time. It did according to the wrestling observer 45,000 buys (not good) at most.

This weeks wrestling observer said Tim Siliva was getting 800k base pay for the fight and he was by no means the only one getting huge money.

Personally, I look forward to it. It looks a dead cert to be a huge loss maker though.

Just on the Lidell issue and what to do, they really can't move matches like Tito's or Silva's onto the London card. It would be false advertising as they have already 10000 tickets sold for UFC 84 in Las Vegas. And obviously Ortiz and Silva are 2 big reasons as to why the event has sold so many tickets so far.

How? Are they going to be so excited they'll each order a subscription to HDNET twice? Hardcore fans get excited all the time. They got excited when Pride came to the US the first time. It did according to the wrestling observer 45,000 buys (not good) at most.

This weeks wrestling observer said Tim Siliva was getting 800k base pay for the fight and he was by no means the only one getting huge money.

Personally, I look forward to it. It looks a dead cert to be a huge loss maker though.

Fedor vs Tim is a lot more appealing to hardcore fans that Fedor vs Coleman. A lot of hardcore fans thought that the PRIDE US card was weak.

Like I said, I think Affliction will do a better job of it than PRIDE did. However they will most likely still make a loss but not as badly as PRIDE did I imagine.

Just on the Lidell issue and what to do, they really can't move matches like Tito's or Silva's onto the London card. It would be false advertising as they have already 10000 tickets sold for UFC 84 in Las Vegas. And obviously Ortiz and Silva are 2 big reasons as to why the event has sold so many tickets so far.

Not true. "Card subject to change" is always put as a disclaimer due to injuries and unforeseen events. This does not just include fighters on that specific card. Remember the "Ortiz vs Guy Mezger" main event got cancelled the day before.... disclaimers. Every time. They can kind of do what they want in this regard. They could very easily move Silva's fight if they feel the London card is ****ty and are worried about their reputation in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Not true. "Card subject to change" is always put as a disclaimer due to injuries. They can kind of do what they want in this regard. They could very easily move Silva's fight if they feel the London card is ****ty and are worried about their reputation in the UK.

All I know is, if you advertise a fight (say Tito and Machida) and people buy tickets to see and it doesn't take place for a reason other than an injury to the 2 involved, you risk pissing even more people off. I'm pretty certain they won't move matches from UFC 84 to UFC 85.

They'll figure something out but Lidell is their top marquee guy and no 1 match will fill the void he has left.

They could push Bisping to take the fight. Maybe have him face Henderson or Machida. Hell, even Huerta (if he's finished with college) versus Guida did pretty good tv ratings. Get them to re-match as well. Again it's not gonna do anywhere near Lidell level numbers but at least you know your giving the people who have bought tickets some quality fights.

On your other point, Affliction just reminds me of Bodog. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

dunkamania wrote: »
    It didn't look like he had a broken foot to me, with him dancing around the octagon like a gazelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Wacker wrote: »
    It didn't look like he had a broken foot to me, with him dancing around the octagon like a gazelle.

I was about to give him the benefit of doubt, but I watched the first few minutes of the fight again just now. I saw no kick by Starnes but I did hear Florian talk about a "running race" before even one minute had passed. Starnes was running away from the very start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Yep. This statement makes rubbish of his previous story about a protest too, as far as I'm concerned. He bottled it, and is throwing out excuses. I bet he'll ccome up with at least one more before he is consigned to the history books. If they'll have him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 THawk

He was just takin the piss, like he was a robot comin to attack Starnes. Starnes still ran away from him though... There's not a chance that Starnes will fight in the UFC again now

All the bonuses went to undercard fights. Would've liked to see those three instead of the Starnes fight

apparently its because starnes predicted he'd win by arm triangle in first round!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Kalib responds, says he broke his foot

Not only is he not bothered about disgracing himself, but he hasn't even bothered to come up with a believeable excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Fozzy wrote:
    All the bonuses went to undercard fights. Would've liked to see those three instead of the Starnes fight

Check out Ed Herman vs Demian Maia. That is some slick-ass Jiu Jitsu.

http://mmamania.com/2008/04/22/kalib-starnes-dana-white-wouldnt-cross-the-street-for-10000/

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4191/kalib-starnes-requested-release-from-ufc.mma

Just another on the same story.

Also, what happened to his "protest"?

http://mmamania.com/2008/04/22/kalib-starnes-dana-white-wouldnt-cross-the-street-for-10000/
    MMAWeekly Top 10 rankings are in. I think if BJ gets past Sherk he'll jump considerably. Some suprises there namely Tito back in the top 10 (why?) and Trigg in the MW top 10. Serra drops from 2nd to 5th.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6133&zoneid=13
    Also pretty much certain Irvin replaces Liddell but this is unlikely to be the main event. Rumoured main event is Bisping vs Leben. Unusual for UFC to have a guy fight 6 weeks after his last one but I guess theyre stuck.

Also, what happened to his "protest"?

I heard that he said that story wasn't true

They don't explicitly state what the cause of the controversy is. Sherk always gets me so mad. Saying that BJ's not the real champ because he didn't beat the champ for his belt. What champ did Sherk beat?!

They don't explicitly state what the cause of the controversy is. Sherk always gets me so mad. Saying that BJ's not the real champ because he didn't beat the champ for his belt. What champ did Sherk beat?!

LOL yea I loved the way BJ has such a self assured demeanor. He's such a hero.

Sherk pisses me off to no end. He's not the champ, he beat Kenny Florian and hermes france both by decision and with the aid (against Franca anyway) of illegal substances. His failure to admit this is even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

His failure to admit this is even worse.

Well, he says he his innocent, no point in changing that story now i guess!!!

BJ will most likely put him away and that will be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

just to keep the Starnes saga going a little while longer, there is a rumour on bullshido.net that he has been cut from ATT. no oficial word yet, but it ws posted by somebdy who trains there.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69075

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    Well, he says he his innocent, no point in changing that story now i guess!!!

BJ will most likely put him away and that will be the end of it.

Yea but its highly disrespectful to not recognise BJ as the champ. And frankly, evidence says he did it so he should just shut up and be glad he hasnt been canned.

Yea but its highly disrespectful to not recognise BJ as the champ. And frankly, evidence says he did it so he should just shut up and be glad he hasnt been canned.

Dana was never going to can him.

1) They are friends.
    2) Dana has said he believes Sherk.
    3) Even if he didn't Dana is savy enough to realise he now has a villan!!! I mean, every story needs a bad guy!!!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6143&zoneid=13

Lets not forget that the always classy sean Sherk accused BJ of being a "pothead" recently.

There ya go Sherk, (cue pun) stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Pity they didnt test Sherk randomly....

You would think that by now people have learned not to make things personal with BJ.

I mean, when he is just fighting because it's his job he tends to go easy, might even show up in bad shape and you can gas him.

When you make it personal he tends to show up like a chiseled buzzsaw and make it a miserable night for you!

BJ has matured in last year or two, he is taking his fight camp more seriously, I wouldnt expect him to show up in bad shape any time soon, never seen him lok as good physically as against Daddy

Personally i hope he rolls The Hero of Time and then gets an inkling to move up and fight GSP. Dana might not allow it though as a static champ is needed for a very, very active division!

An one form BJ vs GSP Mark II would be one hell of a fight!

BJ has said a rematch with GSP is the match he wants most( I really want to see this rematch). He would probably have to go through Matt Hughes to get there :D.

BJ has talked about clearing out the LW division then moving on to the next, and then the next etc :D

Barnett gonna fight Monson, interested in this one

BJ has said a rematch with GSP is the match he wants most( I really want to see this rematch). He would probably have to go through Matt Hughes to get there :D.

BJ has talked about clearing out the LW division then moving on to the next, and then the next etc :D

Barnett gonna fight Monson, interested in this one

To be honest i would much rather see BJ fight either a welterweight he has not faced before. I know Hughes is a massive name and they have a storied rivalry but i have no real interest in watching Hughes get dominated by BJ. Hughes is simply too one dimensional now to be the force he was against pretty much anyone, which is a shame as he is still one of my favourite fighters ( what it is with me and wrestlers? ).

As for Barnett vs Monson, now that is an interesting match up although i see Barnett taking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

as per the other thread, now confirmed on the UFC website MATT HUGHES vs. THIAGO ALVES, RASHAD EVANS vs. JAMES IRVIN & MICHAEL BISPING vs. CHRIS LEBEN all confirmed for 85!!!
    Card is looking much better than it originally did imo (still wouldve liked to see chuck fight though)

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=11555

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement