Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Aoki has beaten JZ. Man what a huge upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Dude, use the spoiler for f*%k sake, not everybody has seen it yet:mad:

cletus wrote: »

There, and there http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/aoki%2Bvs%2Bjz/video/x58x68_shinya-aoki-vs-jz-calvan-2_sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

dont quote the spoiler ffs!!!!!!11111 I was just about to watch this :(

apologies nothingcompares, didn't realise i had hit the quote button instead of the reply button in my anger. Apologies again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

apologies nothingcompares, didn't realise i had hit the quote button instead of the reply button in my anger. Apologies again

no worries

It was my fault for forgetting to use spoiler tags, apologies to both of you.

no problem Pride Fighter, its all good. hell have an e-hug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Interesting fight though,
    I thought JZ had him beat in their first fight when it ended, so for me this makes it 1-1. I think JZ used the same gaurd/armbar escape over and over and each time Aoki was getting closer and closer to having him. The same escape worked great in their first fight but by the end of this you sensed it was a matter of time before Aoki got the submission and it probably looked bad for JZ in the judges eyes. I thought he would've been better served to keep letting Aoki up?
    . Really wanna see the Funaki vs Tamura fight if anyone has a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

t-ha wrote: »
    Really wanna see the Funaki vs Tamura fight if anyone has a link?

They're all here: http://www.free-fights-videos.com/category/63-dream-2.html
    Funaki vs Tamura was a bit of a letdown but that's what you get with Funaki these days. At least the right man won. Sakuraba's fight was very good, I was praying that he'd pull through! Jacare just toyed with his opponent, the guy didn't really know what to do

• Advertisement

War Saku!!!!

Apparently Aoki's injured so Calvancanti will take his place in the next round of the tournament in two week's time

The news now is that Calvancanti couldn't negotiate with DREAM so neither fighter is in the tournament and a replacement will have to be found, according to Sherdog. Whoever it is will be facing the worst fighter left in the tournament, so they'll probably find someone easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Might be of interest to people: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fcf73cc6-170d-11dd-bbfc-0000779fd2ac.html

It's a Financial Times article with the chairman of CBS bitching about UFC being shown on the network. It's mostly aimed at the financial side of it, but seeing MMA appear in the paper is a good sign about people in the money side of the business taking it seriously.

It's actually EXC, not UFC, who are going to be on CBS. A lot of people just seem to associate MMA with UFC though

I can see the show doing bad business. Apparently there's been practically no promotion for the event in the area where it's taking place, and if the programme does bad ratings then that could be it for the tv deal, which will inevitably lead to talk of the "decline of MMA", when really it would be the decline of the UFC's competitiors

Fozzy wrote: »
    It's actually EXC, not UFC, who are going to be on CBS. A lot of people just seem to associate MMA with UFC though

lol

This amuses me greatly. Normally the FT are pretty good with their fact checking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

hey neil1984 your were on the t.v in old trafford on tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

At least he admits that his problem is he does not like the sport.

****ty journalism though.

Dragan wrote: »
    At least he admits that his problem is he does not like the sport.

****ty journalism though.

Well, I imagine the Financial Times Journalist took him at his word that he was complaining about the right company. One would imagine the head of Viacom and CBS would get it right before going to the press about it. :p

Plus, the substance of the article is about the deepening split between Viacom and CBS rather than about the sport itself, the paper being a financial paper and all that. They're not trying to make up anyone's mind on the UFC etc.

There is also a point to be made about the success of the UFC brand and how MMA is being seen as UFC and that influencing people's thoughts on the sport when they aren't themselves fans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

ITs do or die time for EliteXC anyway, they need to hit the big numbers on CBS with their next show, as they are almost out of money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 THawk

ya, when i started out watching MMA it was always UFC or Pride. I never really watched many Elite XC events but i thought that the Frank Shamrock Vs Chen Li fight was class!

I wont give any spoilers, its worth a watch if you havent seen it.

THawk wrote: »
    ya, when i started out watching MMA it was always UFC or Pride. I never really watched many Elite XC events but i thought that the Frank Shamrock Vs Chen Li fight was class!

I wont give any spoilers, its worth a watch if you havent seen it.

Cung Le ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 THawk

Cung Le ;)

God damn it! :D

Just thought I'd post some of the cards that are taking place soon in case anyone hasn't heard about them

DREAM 3 is on Sunday. Here's the full card:
    Lightweight Tournament Round 2:
    Caol Uno 24-10-4 vs. 16-3-1 Mitsuhiro Ishida

Tatsuya Kawajiri 21-4-2 vs. 12-3-0 Luiz “Buscape” Firmino

Joachim Hansen 17-6-1 vs. 13-1-0 Eddie Alvarez

Welterweight Champion Eliminator:
    Nick Diaz 15-7-0 vs. 16-5-3 Katsuya Inoue

Middleweight Tournament Round 1:
    Jason Miller 20-5-0 vs. 2-3-0 Katsuyori Shibata

Middleweight Tournament Reserve Fight:
    Melvin Manhoef 20-4-1 vs. Kim Dae Won

Non-Tournament Fight:
    Jung Bukyung 0-2-0 vs. 13-9-0 Daisuke Nakamura

Non-Tournament Fight:
    Takeshi Yamazaki 13-7-2 vs. 6-2-1 Shoji Maruyama

Non-Tournament Fight:
    Takeshi Yamazaki 13-7-2 vs. 6-2-1 Shoji Maruyama

Diaz was on the card, then off it, but now he's back on it. There's some interesting fights. The winner of Diaz/Inoue will fight Sakurai later this year for the DREAM welterweight title. Aoki was meant to be fighting Katsuhiko Nagata in a lightweight tournament match but he was injured so that fight will be on DREAM's next show

Sengoku 2 is on Sunday week, here's the card for that:
    Josh Barnett 21-5-0 vs. 24-7-0 Jeff Monson
    Yuki Kondo 48-21-6 vs. 1-0-0 Roger Gracie
    Kevin Randleman 16-12-0 vs. 8-2-2 Ryo Kawamura
    Eiji Mitsuoka 12-5-2 vs. 5-0-0 Kwang Hee Lee
    Satoru Kitaoka 19-8-9 vs. 7-4-1 Ian Schaffa
    Yuki Sasaki 21-13-1 vs. 16-7-0 Jorge Santiago
    Yoshihiro “Kiss” Nakao 6-1-0 vs. 9-1-0 Big Jim York
    Mike Pyle 15-5-1 vs. 15-1-0 Dan Hornbuckle

The Kondo/Gracie fight interests me. I think Kondo's going to take it. I always like watching Barnett, I think he'll win that easily enough

There's the Cage Rage show on tomorrow, it's being aired on Sky Sports 3 from 9-11pm. Here's the card:
    -Ian Freeman vs. Paul Cahoon
    -Che Mills vs. Marios Zaromskis
    -Mark Epstein vs. Matt Ewin
    -Rodney Faverus vs. James Zikic
    -Ross Mason vs. Ross Pointon
    -Henrique Nogueira vs. Marc Goddard
    -Paul Reed vs. Brad Pickett
    -Kev Sim vs. Popek Rak
    -Chris Rice vs. Edegelson Lue
    -Harvey Harra vs. Gary Kelly
    -Roman Webber vs. Scot Fairclough

Freeman's return to the cage, I'm not sure what his chances are. Cahoon likes to play to the crowd a bit, I'm sure the build up for it on the show will be decent

EXC's first network tv show on May 31st looks like it might do an even worse rating than what was expected because now the UFC has decided to air two shows about Chuck Liddell at the same time. One is a documentary about him and the other will show his fight against Wanderlei. Apparently anything over a 3.0 will be considered a success in terms of ratings for EXC, but the danger is that they'll get less and lose their tv deal. With the amount of money that they're losing that could mean the end for them as one of the top competitors for the UFC

Here's a couple of good fights I just watched from Shooto's most recent show:

David Baron vs Hayato Sakurai: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x5ao6l

Akitoshi Tamura vs Rumina Sato: http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/2008/05/03/akitoshi-tamura-vs-rumina-sato-video-shooto/

And to finish it off, a promo video for DREAM's lightweight tournament second round: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7urAzCDXGJ4

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6239&zoneid=13

Bit of a disappointement this had the potential to be a really good fight especially after Bispings last display. Wonder if they will try and get a replacement, because they really need Bisping on the card to attract a crowd.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6239&zoneid=13

Bit of a disappointement this had the potential to be a really good fight especially after Bispings last display. Wonder if they will try and get a replacement, because they really need Bisping on the card to attract a crowd.

They'll get a replacement. The UFC knew there was a possibility of this happening so it's not like they've just been sprung with it. Nate Quarry turned down the fight though, saying he's got an elbow injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Jason Day is taking the fight.

This is looking like it will be one of the lowest PPV numbers ever

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Is it goin to be a PPV or will it air free on Spike in the states?

PPV

It won't let me capitalise PPV if I make a one word post! :mad:

• Advertisement

Anybody got any Cage Rage links, I'd like to see
    Ian the machine Freeman whoop Cahoon's ass

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement