Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Affliction "Banned" event, June 19th

• Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia
    • Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo
    • Renato Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
    • Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao
    • Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Paul Buentello (yet to be signed)

Non-pay-per-view fights:
    • Savant Young vs. Mark Hominick
    • Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama
    • J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight
    • Mike Pyle vs. Brett Cooper

I really hope Affliciton is a sucees, if this is their initial effort at a card, but it sounds like they are flushing a pile of money down the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Great card!!

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Great card, but if they're paying the fighters what's been reported then they're not going to be around long, because they're not going to make a lot of money

EDIT: So Arlovski's not planned for it anymore? This show is going to lose more money than I thought. It's a pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

no jeff monson?

no jeff monson?

He's on the Sengoku card this week and the Adrenaline show in June, against Barnett and then Mike Russow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Fozzy wrote: »
    He's on the Sengoku card this week and the Adrenaline show in June, against Barnett and then Mike Russow

ah right so barnett is fighting twice over the next month?

ah right so barnett is fighting twice over the next month?

No, Affliction's event isn't til July. The Adrenaline show is in June, Monson's on that, so he'll be fighting twice in a month. Unless Barnett knocks him out I guess

One of the open secrets of the last month was made official earlier, that Nogueira and Mir will be the coaches for the next TUF season: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AoVz4WvNfmsR8zb6NfdGMQ89Eo14?slug=dm-tufeight051208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Good interview with tito here:

http://mmamania.com/2008/05/10/old-school-beatdown-mmamaniacom-exclusive-interview-with-the-tito-ortiz/

He doesn't hold back on the UFC and he sounds like he's determined to leave on a win, so we could be in for a decent fight.

If he would just stop talking about how great he is and how much his fans love him, he'd almost be likeable.

"Over a million PPV buyers"? He thinks this event is going to break the UFC's record?

There's a reason Tim Sylvia didn't get $800,000 per fight in the UFC: he didn't generate anywhere near that level of revenue. Affliction aren't going to either

I'm not sure what the interviewer means when he compares Fedor's drawing power to Tito's. Fedor's got nowhere near that level, unless you're including Japan, which I don't think he is as no American companies sell PPVs in Japan

He seems to think that Dana and the Fertittas just pocket all the money not given to the fighters. Which clearly isn't true with the level of promotion the UFC does. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come crawling back in a year when all these other companies die out

I'm more interested in the fights Tito can have outside the UFC now though, apart from a fight vs Wanderlei. Fights against Frank Shamrock, Kimbo and Cung Le are a few I'd like to see

I heard Rothwell is fighting Arlovski on THe "Banned" undercard, havent seen confirmation yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

Everyone I know who's met Tito, every report I've heard from people who have met Tito said he's the nicest fighter to fans.

Even approaching guys who look like they might want to approach him but are unsure. He's meant to be sound. Granted his voice is insanely annoying.

Peace

Everyone I know who's met Tito, every report I've heard from people who have met Tito said he's the nicest fighter to fans.

Even approaching guys who look like they might want to approach him but are unsure. He's meant to be sound. Granted his voice is insanely annoying.

Peace

He has one of those love him or hate him personalities as it is but he accentuates it when he's hyping a fight making him either come across as a legend or an asshole.

I hope he wins next week, Im normally not a fan but a havent liked Machide since his stallfest victory over BJ where he was by far the larger fighter and never really went for the kill (granted BJ is an MMA God but god damn whn u have the size advantage dont Tim Sylvia it ffs!!)

Man I watched TUF tonight and
    that "tension" they hyped between Forrest and Rampage didnt live up to the billing! I was expecting more. That comment Schultz made after to Forrest was seriously disrespectful though. I also thought that first fight was stopped a bit early, the ref called that he might stop it and before the guy could react he went ahead and stopped it. I think he could have given him a few more seconds to scramble.
    Added spoilers in case people taped it and havent watched yet!

In an interview Schultz said he apoligised to Forrest outside the cage, he also broke his hand in the first round. Pretty weak on the drama this series, everything they try and hype is anticlimatic

Josh v monson
    Monson just doesnt do well against those bigger guys, always felt like he was built for LHW tbh

I just finished watching the Sengoku show, it was really good I thought. Practically every fight was good

Link

Read the transcript of the conference call. BJ makes an excellent point. If Sherk is innocent then when he gets tested again he;ll fail again cos those are his natural levels surely yes? But he took his last test and passed....

God I cant wait for Saturday, I wonder if anyone at all (any sane man that is!!) will be rooting for Sherk.

I really hope BJ destroys him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Link

Read the transcript of the conference call. BJ makes an excellent point. If Sherk is innocent then when he gets tested again he;ll fail again cos those are his natural levels surely yes? But he took his last test and passed....

Sherks argument was never that those were his natural test levels. He spent a lof of money of his own getting samples of all his supps tested and provided evidence of contamination in one of them....for the same substance he tested positive for.

If Sherk really is guilty then fair play to him....he really can keep the innocent act going.

And the cursed card gets another twist, Rashad fight cancelled

Dragan wrote: »
    Sherks argument was never that those were his natural test levels. He spent a lof of money of his own getting samples of all his supps tested and provided evidence of contamination in one of them....for the same substance he tested positive for.

If Sherk really is guilty then fair play to him....he really can keep the innocent act going.

Im sorry but I dont for one second believe he is innocent. Not at all. Its even worse that with his suspension served he's still harping on and on about it. Just STFU and consider yourself lucky to be back in the UFC FFS and I hope to God that BJ wrecks him.

Affliction seals major TV deal

There you go Fozzy...hope yet!

Im sorry but I dont for one second believe he is innocent. Not at all. Its even worse that with his suspension served he's still harping on and on about it. Just STFU and consider yourself lucky to be back in the UFC FFS and I hope to God that BJ wrecks him.
    For me the question would be answered by Sherk going the full 5 at his usual furious pace.

It won't be answered when Penn taps him mid second though.

• Advertisement

For me the question would be answered by Sherk going the full 5 at his usual furious pace.

It won't be answered when Penn taps him mid second though.

Spot on, BJ said he;s gonna put Sherk on his back.

Whether or not thats to get him thinking so he can open up and box more is yet top be seen. Sherk is good, not great, at wrestling, certainly not better than Hughes, I think BJ is gonna ruin him.

The supplement that Sherk found one tainted tablet in was contaminated with something other than what he tested positive for. So it was useless "evidence"

It's being reported that the UFC have scrapped any Rashad fight at all for UFC 85. Luiz Cane will still be fighting Jason Lambert on the undercard

Fozzy wrote: »
    The supplement that Sherk found one tainted tablet in was contaminated with something other than what he tested positive for. So it was useless "evidence"

It's being reported that the UFC have scrapped any Rashad fight at all for UFC 85. Luiz Cane will still be fighting Jason Lambert on the undercard
    Yea its true, i linked it a few posts up. This card has had more bout changes than Madonna has had image changes.

To think when I bought my ticket I thought I was going to see Chuck Liddell vs Shogun!

Oops, I missed it. They should throw Rashad in with Chuck as soon as Chuck is ready. I think he's a guy who Chuck should beat handily. The last thing that the UFC want is Chuck losing his next fight I think, if he challenges for the title at the end of the year it'll do great business

I'd like to see more details on that Affliction tv deal. If it's just airing the undercard then that's not much use. But if they get some coverage on Fox that could be useful. And if they had some sort of buildup special that'd be even better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

luckily my fight of the night is still there, i wont say which one it is though for fear of cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

dont be so suspicious, its davis vs swick isnt it, thats gonna be a cracker....
    glad matt hughes is back in the octagon too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Judomad wrote: »
    dont be so suspicious, its davis vs swick isnt it, thats gonna be a cracker....

got it in one

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

got it in one

i dont even need to ask why, theres gonna be some heavy heavy hands thrown in that and i think marcus will come out on top in a 3 round war(thats what i hope) if im right the money spent on tickets/PPV would be worth that alone..

Vera vs werdum will be fun as will Swick vs Davis (can see Davis winning that tbh) and of course seeing Matt Hughes fight Alves will be great.

that is of course if there arent more drop outs!! UFC 85: Cursed!

• Advertisement

Swick Vs Davis is the sleeper for me. It's being ignored in the main stream but is going to be one hell of a fight. Swick has legitimate skills, Davis has improved incredibly recently and has not failed to impress me in his last few outings.
    As i said already, someone is getting knocked out. No TKO stoppage to this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement