Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Coleman out of Lesnar fight, Lesnar still on card, GSP vs Fitch added.

I didnt want to see Lesnar vs Coleman, hopefully they will pick a replacement who poses a threat to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

dunkamania wrote: »
    Coleman out of Lesnar fight, Lesnar still on card, GSP vs Fitch added.

I didnt want to see Lesnar vs Coleman, hopefully they will pick a replacement who poses a threat to him

I think dana might give Lesnar an opponent that suits his style and who he has a good chance of beating
    Lesnar winning = much money for UFC
    the guy will sell PPV's by bringing in the WWE people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I think dana might give Lesnar an opponent that suits his style and who he has a good chance of beating
    Lesnar winning = much money for UFC
    the guy will sell PPV's by bringing in the WWE people

Agreed. Lesnar Vs Coleman was all set up for a big win for Lesnar. A guy who will fight his fight that Lesnar really should be able to beat....though personally i am banking on Coleman to smash him.

Who else is their in the HW that will give Lesnar a good fight??? They won't put him in with someone with BJJ for a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Dragan wrote: »
    Agreed. Lesnar Vs Coleman was all set up for a big win for Lesnar. A guy who will fight his fight that Lesnar really should be able to beat....though personally i am banking on Coleman to smash him.

Who else is their in the HW that will give Lesnar a good fight??? They won't put him in with someone with BJJ for a little bit.

Ya that was a mistake if they were wanting him to win. HW division is pretty thin at the minute. Vera and Werdum are fighting each other, and with Timmy and AA gone they don't have a lot of options for Lesnar.

Personally I'd love Chuck to move up and fight him. Imagine the amount of PPV buys for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've heard that it'll be Cheick Kongo who they put against Brock. Apparently they were planning that fight for later in the year anyway. I'd say Brock would have an easy time there, Herring was able to keep Kongo on his back for a long time and Brock will be more aggressive than Herring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Links broken for me, whats it say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Heath Hearing vs Brock Lesnar
    Jason Mayhem Miller versus Ronaldo Jacare Silva

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

was a good show and had a few good fights, loved seeing bj not even go to the ground :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Heath Hearing vs Brock Lesnar
    Jason Mayhem Miller versus Ronaldo Jacare Silva

Poor Mayhem!

• Advertisement

The rest of the DREAM middleweight tournament quarter-finals are up, it's

Gegard Mousasi vs Dong Sik Yoon
    Kazushi Sakuraba vs Melvin Manhoef
    Zelg Gelasic vs Taiei Kin

So Tamura has ducked Sakuraba yet again, he pulled out of the tournament saying he broke his finger. It sounds a little too convenient to me

Two big shows this weekend, EXC and WEC

EXC are putting on the first major MMA show on network tv in the US on Saturday. This is the card:

Undercard:
    -Wilson Reis vs. Justin Robbins
    -Nick Serra vs. Matt Makowski
    -Chris Liguori vs. Jim Bova
    -James “Binky” Jones vs. Calvin Kattar
    -Zach Makovsky vs. Andre Soares
    -Mike Groves vs. Joe Sampieri
    -Carlton Haselrig vs. Carlos Moreno

Main card:

-Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson vs. James Thompson
    -Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith (for EXC middleweight title)
    -Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young
    -Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor
    -Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy

This is a big show for MMA. If it does well then people in the mainstream are going to have to take notice. If it does poorly then it might be a long time before MMA ever gets back to this level of tv

The UFC have a big night of programming scheduled for that night, they've got a documentary on Chuck Liddell and the first tv airing of Chuck vs Wanderlei. Dana White was asked at a press conference last weekend if he thinks it's a smart move trying to hinder the EXC show and he said that he didn't know. If this show does bad then the UFC will find it hard to ever get onto network tv

The commentators for the event are Mauro Ranallo (best MMA commentator around in my opinion), Frank Shamrock and a basketball commentator and a boxing reporter. They should really have just let Mauro and Frank go on their own

WEC have their biggest show yet on Sunday. This is the card:

Undercard:
    -Jeff Curran vs. Mike Brown
    -Chase Beebe vs. Will Ribeiro
    -Jose Aldo vs. Alexandre Franca Nogueira
    -Danny Castillo vs. Donald Cerrone
    -Tim McKenzie vs. Jeremy Lang
    -Alex Serdyukov vs. Luis Sapo
    -Charlie Valencia vs. Dominick Cruz

Main card:
    -Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver (for WEC featherweight title)
    -Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda (for WEC bantamweight title)
    -Rob McCullough vs. Kenneth Alexander
    -Mark Munoz vs. Chuck Grigsby

They've really been doing heavy advertising for this show. The ads have been pretty cool too. Here's one I saw earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSkNb7RX2Aw

I really can't wait to see the Faber vs Pulver fight. I was so impressed with Faber in his last fight, he's able to do everything and more. He's unbeaten in his last 12 fights now and Pulver is 8-0 at featherweight. It's got the makings of a classic

Got 2.75-1 on Kaitlin Young, and 4-1 on James Thomson, I do like the underdog. Also gonna bet on Thomson lasting more than 90 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

After Gina weighed in heavy the odds got less tasty on Kaitlin, so you got in at a good time. They were 3:1 at some point, but whatever.

In interviews Thompson's been letting on that he's not just going to go out swinging, so I'd say that 90 seconds bet is at least pretty smart. If there's one thing besides his hands that Kimbo trains like crazy I'd say its his takedown defence though haha.

really irritated by Gina missing weight. From her interviews over the last couple of months it was pretty clear that she wasnt training seriously, hence the wager on Kaitlin. Kaitlin looked ripped though.

I couldn't care less about it, but she really should just start fighting at 145 its not fair to the girls she's fighting. Apparently she was told not to try cutting more after failing the first time, so its probably not as if she didn't try.
    Maybe she thought she'd be able to get in shape super quick, or maybe she was even pressured in to taking the fight. Before it was booked there was a lot of talk about her stopping completely, and even Gary Shaw was talking a lot of crap about where she stood with EliteXC and fighting in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Without giving anything away EliteXC sucked, well I have not seen it but thats the general consensus.

The Carano/Young fight is supposed to be good.

Only saw the Kimbo and Carano fights, man they sucked donkey balls, and not just cos I lost money on both.:( The legend of Kimbo is done, I doubt Gary Shaw will be calling him a top ten HW anytime soon. It was a sloppy fight from both fighters, Thomson did better than most ppl expected. Judges had it 59-54 for Thomson going into the third, Kimbo looked exhausted. Stoppage was a little premature, Thopmson was in trouble but similarly to the 2nd round. Not good when your main event gets booed by all his fans. Carano did look dominant, Kaitlin was a bit over hyped, still pissed at her missing weight. Comentating was awful, holding someones head down when they are in your guard is not a choke, and trapping an arm with your leg in sidemount is not the crucifix position. Also comments about Thomson's ear were a bit much, even if it is really gross. All in all, not hard to see CBS drop EliteXC after a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I disagree a little with the above post on EXC. Here's a few of my random thoughts:

- The opening video package introducing the show/MMA to new people could have been better I think. They showed no submissions and all knockouts frrom what I can remember.

- I thought the commentary was good. I'm not an expert on MMA or anything but I thought Gus Johnson was well up on the sport and Ranaullo and Shamrock complimented effectively.

- Kimbo/Thompson went alot longer than I thought it would. It was a sloppy but entertaining fight.

It'll be interesting to see what the rating is given how they structured the show (very little fighting in the beginning) and given the fact they went 40 minutes over their 2 hour slot.

I feel bad for Kimbo that for ages people have been saying he's nothing until he a) fights/beats someone really good and/or b) has a fight go for more than a few minutes and now that he's done at least one of them the internet is calling it a fix...I didn't watch the fight...because **** it...but I saw the ending. Whatever about it being a questionable call, some people are talking as if Miragliotta had a mic in his ear telling him to stop the fight in Kimbo's favour asap.
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but I think he called it for how wobbly James was looking - not how wrecked his ear was. You see a fair few TKO calls while people are still on their feet.

Everyone please refer to the back catalogue of Moustache Mazagatti and Herb Dean for occassionally terrible decisions. People are WAY too quick to cry fix, and I think if this wasn't a Kimbo fight, especially one where he had a ****load of trouble, noone would be so outraged.

I can't find streams of Pulver - Faber. I was on mmatko and mmascraps. I'll post a working link if I find one.
    Everywhere just seems to have Dailymotion links that are down already. I checked mmalinker too. Tang soo do don't have anything up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From wrestlingobserver.com:
    Elite XC a huge success

The show did a 2.7 rating in prime time based on the fast nationals. The final rating will be higher because that number only counts 9-11 p.m. The peak half hour was a 4.7 for Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson and that was after 11 p.m. and will blow away all marks for the most-watched MMA match in history. Nothing but Saturday Night Live ever does post 11 p.m. numbers like that.

Full ratings will be out on Tuesday but it's likely to be in the 3.0 to 3.3 range depending on what the 11-11:30 p.m. half hour did.

The overall number isn't necessary through the roof, but is a definite success. The growth from start-to-finish was the real story. It was No. 1 for the night in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

goo wrote: »
    I can't find streams of Pulver - Faber. I was on mmatko and mmascraps. I'll post a working link if I find one.
    Everywhere just seems to have Dailymotion links that are down already. I checked mmalinker too. Tang soo do don't have anything up yet.

Make sure you get a hold of it. Absolutely brilliant fight.

I haven't come across a link for the Torres fight though which is weird, if anyone finds a stream please post the link.

Astonishing, for anyone who watched Kimbo v Thompson.

Link 10-9 to Kimbo

Now, i know EXC don't hire the judges, theyre appointed by the commission but wow. This really highlights how poor the judgin in MMA can be. If u havent seen the second round, watch it and anyone who tries to rationalise this score I will laugh at!

Link

Vitor to affliction, and training with Chute Boxe. Hopefully that could get him to open up and be more aggressive.

• Advertisement

Donald Trump to partner with Affliction

Also, mmaweekly.com has BJ listed as the Number 1 LW in the world...about time!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement