Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I know BJ is dead set on moving up to fight GSP, but I would love to see him fight Faber. I don't know who should move up or down, maybe they could fight at 150 or something but I think it would be a brilliant fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

hardCopy wrote: »
    I know BJ is dead set on moving up to fight GSP, but I would love to see him fight Faber. I don't know who should move up or down, maybe they could fight at 150 or something but I think it would be a brilliant fight.

BJ and Faber train together regularly so it's not a fight that's going to happen unless there is mega bucks involved. i agree it has the potential to be a great match up but BJ would murder him tbh. I think there are far more interesting match ups for Faber out there, especially in JApan, kid Yamamoto springs to mind. Perhaps fianna would fill us in on who's best at 145 outside of US. Perhaps also a rematch with Tyson Griffen if TG can make the cut.

personally I don't think anyone in the UFC/america can touch BJ at 155, I think Sherk would beat the winner of Florian/Heurta. So the only way for BJ is up, but I'd like to see him fight once perhaps twice more at 155 just really clear it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

The problem with setting up Faber - Yamamoto is that nobody in America knows Kid and nobody in Japan knows Urijah. It'd probably be a much bigger money fight in Japan, but you'd have to make it really, really clear to the fans that it was a real challenge for Kid because...he's not challenged all that often.

I'd love to see BJ fight some of the top talent outside the UFC, but he's obviously not that interested. BJ in the Dream LW GP would've been amazing - I am a dreamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

BJ has been my #1 P4P pick since the pulver fight

Faber was talking about setting up a fight with Miguel Torres, which would be fun to see and he can make 135 no problem, but that would probably destroy the WEC's two best divisions haha. I'm looking forward to seeing Urijah pop back up to 155 by the end of the year. He can get bulk tips from Sherk maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The thing with the featherweights is that there aren't really any top top guys in the sense that every one of them seems to have beaten the others at some point. Akitoshi Tamura is regarded as one of the very best featherweights outside the US, but he lost to Hideki Kadowaki this year. Kadowaki is also regarded as one of the very best, but he's lost almost a third of his fights. Antonio Carvalho is also highly regarded but he hasn't fought in nearly a year. He's also lost to Jeff Curran (who Faber overwhelmed) and to Takeshi Inoue, who is another top guy but who lost to Savant Young (not a top guy) in his last fight

Really, I think Kid Yamamoto is the only fighter who could give Faber a real challenge at featherweight. Faber at lightweight would be something I'd love to see, but apparently he doesn't cut much weight so he'd have to really pack on some muscle to get up. And it's not as if he's not already a very muscular guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ah, I didn't realise Faber was a training partner of BJs, I agree BJ would probably handle him but I just think it would make for a really entertaining fight.

I was seriously impressed with Pulver in that fight also, I hadn't seen much of him other than against J-Lau and BJ, after the Faber fight I really want to see him fight again soon.

There's the third Sengoku event on this Sunday. The card is:

Hidehiko Yoshida 7-6-1 vs. 12-12-0 Maurice Smith
    Kazuo Misaki 19-8-2 vs. 11-1-0 Logan Clark
    Kazuyuki Fujita 15-6-0 vs. 53-11-0 Travis Wiuff
    Choi Mu Bae 7-2-0 vs. 3-2-0 Marcio Cruz
    Nick Thompson 35-9-1 vs. 9-3-0 Michael Costa
    Fabio Silva 9-4-0 vs. 28-22-3 Kazuo Takahashi
    Sanae Kikuta 26-6-3 vs. 12-5-0 Chris Rice
    Rodrigo Damm 7-1-0 vs. 13-2-0 Jorge Masvidal

Duane Ludwig is also meant to be taking part

Doesn't look like the greatest card, but we'll see. I thought the last Sengoku show was good

Alves pulled a Gina Carano....... 4 lbs overweight at weigh-in

Fight goes ahead at catchweight.

Disappointing, Alves is just off suspension for use of a diuretic. (aids weight cutting)

dunkamania wrote: »
    Alves pulled a Gina Carano....... 4 lbs overweight at weigh-in

Fight goes ahead at catchweight.

Disappointing, Alves is just off suspension for use of a diuretic. (aids weight cutting)

What's the bets that Hughes is still heavier than him come fight time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

hardCopy wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't realise Faber was a training partner of BJs, I agree BJ would probably handle him but I just think it would make for a really entertaining fight.

I was seriously impressed with Pulver in that fight also, I hadn't seen much of him other than against J-Lau and BJ, after the Faber fight I really want to see him fight again soon.

Faber is pretty small as well. As far as i am aware he doesn't even need to cut for 145. He'd get murdered if he went up.

As for Alves, big shame....when his title fight rolls round he'd better not pull a Lutter.

Dragan wrote: »
    Faber is pretty small as well. As far as i am aware he doesn't even need to cut for 145. He'd get murdered if he went up.

As for Alves, big shame....when his title fight rolls round he'd better not pull a Lutter.

Assuming he tried to cut as much weight as possible he might put in a very poor performance tonight and the liklihood of him getting a title shot is decreasing

No way Dana risks a Thiago Alves title shot until he sorts out his weight. He's obviously at an awkward size, that must be annoying. Cut a toe off.

I want Jens Pulver to keep fighting just for his crazy training methods - mad ****er.

I don't like the assumption that Fabes gets "destroyed" at 155. The guy has to work hard to keep weight on for 145, so he's already small, but he's absolutely destroying top class opposition. People said this stuff about BJ before he DESTROYED Matt Hughes to take the UFC welterweight belt.

The thing with BJ is that he never had a muscular physique. When he put on weight he still had pretty much the same type of body, just bigger. Faber is very muscular though. If he were to move up then he'd have to increase his muscle mass, which would more than likely slow him down and weaken his cardio. And his speed and cardio are his two biggest physical assets. Or he could put on some fat, which again would affect him negatively

If Faber were to weigh the same as most lightweights, he'd have to put on 15-20lbs. Maybe it wouldn't affect him, but it just seems to me like he's at an ideal weight and if he stayed at that weight then he'd still have a good chance against lightweights. But forcing him to put on weight could hinder him

But I could be way off!

Yeah, BJ has had pretty much the same problem at 170. I have never fought, so I know literally nothing, ZERO, but I'd literally take the Urijah Faber that showed up to fight Jens Pulver and put him in there with all but the very best at 155 (BJ) and expect him to win. Maybe I've phrased that badly, there are a lot of guys who would pose problems based on size alone. Gray Maynard!
    The guy's done it all at 145 though, bar Kid, and by the way he talks he's looking to test himself. I won't be surprised if he jumps to 55 real soon and if he does I hope he worries less about his weight than his incredible speed and conditioning.

There were rumours about Faber v Torres but that would ruin Torres and make it so much worse for the WEC when Faber eventually moves on.

I don't think the Cage Rage problems have been mentioned in this thread yet. Their tv deal with Sky expired, but Sky don't want to renew it because of Paul Daley's swearing at the last show: http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=650

One of Cage Rage's owners has pulled out of the promotion too. Andy Geer (the taller of the two bald commentators) had his construction business go bankrupt and now he's apparently hiding out in Spain: http://www.mmauniverse.com/news/SS2999

And the worst news from a fan and fighter's perspective is that they stripped two of their champions recently for losing fights in other promotions. They didn't tell the fighters that they'd lose their titles if they lost those matches: http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=649

That's all mental, wow. Maybe they'll go on Setanta? There might be something in the UFC contract about them not showing other mma??

goo wrote: »
    That's all mental, wow. Maybe they'll go on Setanta? There might be something in the UFC contract about them not showing other mma??

You mean Bravo? That's probably the most likely, unless they work out a deal with Sky to show the events with a delay. You never know, after seeing how well MMA did on network tv in the US, maybe a terrestrial channel will want to pick it up. It's a long shot, but Cage Rage is owned by EXC now so you wouldn't know. They've got a lot of bargaining power behind them now

Interesting ARTICLE about Nick Diaz.

The bones in his face are sharp which causes a lot of cuts in his fights so he has had plastic surgery to help to stop this happening and repair scar tissue.

Interesting procedure. I wonder if there will be any limitations on the plastic surgery you can have to increase your fighting ability?

• Advertisement

Interesting procedure. I wonder if there will be any limitations on the plastic surgery you can have to increase your fighting ability?

Yea that had me thinking, it gives an un natural advantage...however I do hate to see fights ended by cuts so I wouldnt be overly againts it....

No surgery to make you have longer arms......:cool:

goo wrote: »
    I don't like the assumption that Fabes gets "destroyed" at 155. The guy has to work hard to keep weight on for 145, so he's already small, but he's absolutely destroying top class opposition. People said this stuff about BJ before he DESTROYED Matt Hughes to take the UFC welterweight belt.

It not really an assumption, just a possibility. Faber has shown an enormous improvement in his skillset, but weightclasses are there for a reason.

Penn destroyed Hughes because he fought his fight and it was a quick execution. If Hughes hadn't approached that fight like such a numpty he would have given BJ fits in my opinion.

I'm not saying Faber would definitely get ruined, but he WOULD be at a major disadvantage by being at the lighter end of his weight class. It's all well and good to say that size doesn't mean anyting in a fight ( which i personally still dispute ) but when you have a group of guys, all world class athletes, all with similar skillsets to Fabers, worse than him in some area's, better than him in others, being the small guy in the cage takes it's toll.

MMA has it's fair share of fighters who never made the right choice and moved down or stayed at a natural weight class. Look at Couture before he moved to LHW ( I know he moved back up to HW with massive success but he was a different fighter then ), Vera now, Kenflo before he dropped down, BJ at 170 for most people other than that first Hughes fight etc.

As Fozzy pointed out, in Fabers case it wouldn't be a case of just not cutting, he doesn't cut for 145. He need and extra 10 pounds of something for lightweight, and would be in there with guys who HAVE cut to that weight. Be it fat or muscle, it's a 6 to 7% increase in his mass, which would have a big detriment to his current condition, cardio and speed.

I think Dana plans on making the WEC into it's own entity and he currently has a poster boy in Faber to lead the charge.

Its funny talking about fighters weight because Id love to see how many of them walk around at the same weight as guys from other divs.

I mean today alone I learned that:

- Thiago Alves walks around at 200lbs (90kg)
    - Rampage was weighing 250lbs (113kg) on TUF

I also read a few months back that Anderson Silva walks around at 215lbs (98kg) when not in training

Now, Thiago is walkin around at the same weigh Id imagine people like Ed Herman/Jason McDonald probably weigh. Rampage weighs a lot more than Vera and probably the same (out of training) as Frank Mir. choosing your weight division correctly is the most important decision facing fighters today. Faber doesnt cut much to make 145 and he's made of muscle. His problem is the lack of quality oppostion (bar Kid which dosnt look likely right now) so im sure he;s tempted to move up to challenge himself.

You hear all kinds of reported weights these guys, and a lot of people seem to dismiss them out of hand, but i would well believe that Rampage could get up to 250 when not training for a fight. That guy walks into the cage LEAN, and he used to be a wrestler in highschool so you know he can cut.

I just want to say that I don't think weight means nothing but I think its really likely that he's going to move up because there aren't all that many fights for him to have at 45 but at 55 there are tonnes. His size would be a massive disadvantage.

Yeah I saw that interview, he said he was so big because he was eating **** and not training. Forrest is always massive too, Gray Maynard's big at 55, JZ Calvan always seems big too - ATT have cutting weight down pat I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I wouldn't be all that surprised if he does go that big, but i'm sure it's mainly fat/excess weight? I mean surely come weigh-in he wouldn't be cutting more than 15lbs of water weight???

Source for Rampage's weight: http://cbs2.com/video/?id=68641@kcbs.dayport.com

Source for Alves' weight: here

The Anderson one I read in a magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

For anyone that hant seen it the first series of the ultimate fighter is being shown on setanta wed nites at ten o clock. Think theyre showing full shows thursdays at 8 aswell

Just watched a bit of it there. Speaking of weight classes - kenny florian from MW to LW :)

I think there's 3 destinct weights. The weight you walk around at when you're not training properly and eating donuts (90kg), the weight you're at when you're training hard and are in great shape (83kg), and the weight you weigh in at for 30 minutes after you go on a 5 day cut(77kg).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Source for Rampage's weight: http://cbs2.com/video/?id=68641@kcbs.dayport.com

Source for Alves' weight: here

The Anderson one I read in a magazine.

Yeah, rampage sort of confirmed what i was thinking. He pretty much admits that when he came back to training camp he was overweight (250) due to "sitting around eating pizza and playing nintendo" and not training at all during filming of TUF. I'm guessing that once he starts training, that number goes down pretty quickly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement