Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

The TUF Finale was enjoyable.

- Evan Tanner is finished, the game has moved on too much in the last few years, u cant get away with being that bad on your feet anymore. Pity as I like the guy. Kendall looked really good though.

- Diego looked awesome, would love to see a rematch with either Koscheck or Fitch.

- I dunno how people still doubt Amir, the guy is great. He'll be a big star. CB will go far as well though, he needs more experience.

- Spencer Fisher looked great.

- Marvin Eastman either has a glass jaw or McFedries hits HARD cos geting KO'd attempting a single is unusual to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Hey,

Can someone tell me what happened with TUF? The last show I watched was the first semi final and at the end alluded to some contreversy the following week? I caught the end of last nights show but it was the finale with some dude i didnt know??! What happened and what was the contreversy?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Jesse Taylor, the guy who got into the Final by beating Tim Credeur in the semi-final went on the piss and then a subsequent rampage the night after the show ended. Dana White was shown a video of him kicking the window through on a limousine they rented and acting the bollox in the hotel. Dana White kicked him off the finale as he suggested Jesse wasn't mature enough to be a UFC fighter. Tim Credeur and CB Holloway were brought back to the training centre to fight off for the opportunity to face Amir Sadollah in the finale. CB won the match by decision and went to the final to rematch the guy who knocked him out in the Semi Final. Amir beat him again by submission.

CB Dollaway discusses "the tap"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I felt bad for Evan, the game has passed him by. The scoring was a bit strange, two 30-26s for Kendall and a 29-28 for Evan. I wonder what the judge who gave it to Evan thought when he heard the other scores

I'm glad Amir won, CB kind of rubs me the wrong way. It's more fun watching Amir too. I'm sure CB will fight in the UFC again but I can't really see either of them doing too good unless they improve a good bit

The fact that CB looked like he was complaining to the crowd more than the ref suggests to me that he knew that he had tapped. Any time a fighter has a legitimate complaint they always go straight to the ref. And as he said himself, he did intend to start tapping, so that's the end of it

Sanchez looked good, there'll be a lot of interest in his next fight. I'd say it'll be a big enough one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Glad Amir won, was not looking forward to a 3 round lay and pray. CB's explanation of the tap was pretty weak.

Tanner is done, the game changed, he didnt.
    Kendall looked better, but doesnt have KO power, so questions still remain.

Spencer looked good

Diego was impressive (and mean)

Eastmann was already in trouble before he got hit from the single leg so I dont think he has a glass jaw.

UFC.Com have released the Burkmann Hazelett fight for free, there is a reason this got fight of the night, check it out.

Also Kim Coutore lost her pro debut in a decision loss. She got dropped with an uppercut at the start, but held on and survived. Uppercut broke her nose and split her jaw in two, but she kept on going for three rounds.

Pictures arent pretty...http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/06/22/she-aint-so-pretty-anymore/

I was just reading that Megadeth are going to be performing at Affliction's first event. They'll be playing "throughout the night". I've never seen an MMA or wrestling event that wasn't made worse by having bands play in between fights. A song to open the show would be fine but I don't think most fans are going to be interested in it the way they're doing it

Fozzy wrote: »
    I was just reading that Megadeth are going to be performing at Affliction's first event. They'll be playing "throughout the night". I've never seen an MMA or wrestling event that wasn't made worse by having bands play in between fights. A song to open the show would be fine but I don't think most fans are going to be interested in it the way they're doing it

Yea read that last week, it COULD be ok, may fill the gap between fights rather than have silence but from my experience of events the gap between is nice for toilet/food breaks.....

C what happens. Just another added dimension to the "show" factor and may generate a few more PPV buys. ive seen Megadeth live and Id like to see them again for what its worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dragan wrote: »
    The coaches are not really chosen for coaching power, more personality and then the fight at the end.

For me Forrest was a damn fine coach.....he was very aware of what point the fights were at and made sure his fighters were too.
    "THIS TAKEDOWN IS THE FIGHT!" i loved that. Also, Amir may just be my new favourite fight. The little engine that ****ing could!

For me Forrest was the best coach there has been on TUF.

He took a great interest in all his fighters and really knew their strengths and weaknesses.

He also was a great corner man.

Rampage, although entertaining, didn't come across as the greatest coach.

Good people skills, but not coaching skills.

Tito, Pulver, Randy (though he didnt have any of his team win) and Chuck all seemed like good coaches to me as well.

By this I mean on the show, Id still LOVE to train with BJ but ON THE SHOW is what we're talking about here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

By this I mean on the show, Id still LOVE to train with BJ but ON THE SHOW is what we're talking about here...

BJ was an interesting coach. My abiding memory of him coaching is him sitting down all the time.

BJ was an interesting coach. My abiding memory of him coaching is him sitting down all the time.

Not all good coaches are the "hands on" type. BJ is by all accounts a great teacher....I doubt he's a great cardio workout co-ordinater too which u need to be on TUF since u have such a short time with them that havin them in shape is crucial.

The UFC is back in the UK in October.

No fighters announced but its in Birmingham this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The UFC is back in the UK in October.

No fighters announced but its in Birmingham this time.
    What would a usual event cost roughly?? tickets,place to stay,drinking money and so on?

What would a usual event cost roughly?? tickets,place to stay,drinking money and so on?

Well I went to both London ones, first time I only stayed the Saturday night, second time went the friday mornin came back sunday night.

All guesstimations here:

Flights - around €60-70
    Accomodation - around €50-60 per night sharing
    Tickets - more than €200 - fierce expensive if u want good seats. id recommend decent seats tho but not floor level.

the rest is really down to how much u want to spend but overall it can be pricey, worth it though IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I suppose I could be cheap and go stay with a mate in brighton....hmmm might make the trip to the birmingham one so

Interesting article on Fedor v Tim, big size difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Apparently Randy Couture is picking Forrest to beat rampage. http://fiveouncesofpain.com/

What are people's thoughts on this one? (not much talk about this fight yet)
    Tough one to call cos we know Forrest has a solid chin but then so did chuck?

I think Forrest has all the skills to beat Rampage but for some reason I don't see it happening.

Apparently Randy Couture is picking Forrest to beat rampage. http://fiveouncesofpain.com/

What are people's thoughts on this one? (not much talk about this fight yet)
    Tough one to call cos we know Forrest has a solid chin but then so did chuck?

I think Forrest has all the skills to beat Rampage but for some reason I don't see it happening.

Forrest got Ko'd by Jardine......

Randy has to say that as Forrests trainer.......

I dont think Forrest has the KO power to stop Quinton......

Im not countin Forrest out but I think Rampage has too much for Forrest.

On a sidenote....

Jason Statham presenting Anderson Silva with the "Wrolds Most Dangerous Man" award for Spike TV

Not sure what to make of Randys call, he was right about Forrest Shogun, but is he just picking the fighter from his camp?

Below is the latest card, its looking pretty good

Main Card

Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin (UFC Light Heavyweight Title)
    Gleison Tibau vs. Joe Stevenson
    Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida
    Chris Lytle vs. Josh Koscheck
    Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio

Undercard

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Justin McCully
    Corey Hill vs. Justin Buchholz
    Cole Miller vs. Jorge Gurgel
    Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver

• Advertisement

I CANNOT WAIT for Tyson Griffin v Marcus Aurelio, FOTN right there.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of Randys call, he was right about Forrest Shogun, but is he just picking the fighter from his camp?

Yes. People made a big deal out of his predictions last year when the only impressive one he made was Gonzaga over Cro Cop. The rest of the time he went with the favourite, his own fighters and himself. His fighting and coaching are more impressive than his predictions

I think Rampage is going to win. I think it'll be close enough though and could go on a while

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Any one hear if Affliction banned will be available on ppv / tv over hear?
    I see rumours that the undercard will be on 'the fight network' which is available to SKY subscribers. I would defo pay the ppv price to watch it!

http://www.spike.com/blog/im-done-im-retiring/65893

Evan Tanner says that he's had some serious health problems for a while and if he can't get them sorted out then he's retiring

Kazooie wrote: »
    Any one hear if Affliction banned will be available on ppv / tv over hear?
    I see rumours that the undercard will be on 'the fight network' which is available to SKY subscribers. I would defo pay the ppv price to watch it!

I'm not sure if The Fight Network would be showing it over here, I think that it'll just be in Canada that they air it. I may be wrong but that's what I heard

The main card won't be shown over here as it stands right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »

Forrest has the tools to beat Page. Forrest is not small, he is pushing the limit of not having to go up to heavyweight, he is strong, can take some shots and will fight through a beating and keep going.

The bad news for him is Page will happily test everyone of those attributes for him. Page has knockout power, i'm not convinced that Forrest does.

I know the same comparisons were made against Shogun and Forrest closed that off, but i honestly don't see him beating Rampage.

In other news, Wandy next bout is rumoured to be Thiago Silva.

but i honestly don't see him beating Rampage.

I dont either, but I do want to be surprised....

Forrest has the tools to beat Page. Forrest is not small, he is pushing the limit of not having to go up to heavyweight, he is strong, can take some shots and will fight through a beating and keep going.

The bad news for him is Page will happily test everyone of those attributes for him. Page has knockout power, i'm not convinced that Forrest does.

I know the same comparisons were made against Shogun and Forrest closed that off, but i honestly don't see him beating Rampage.

In other news, Wandy next bout is rumoured to be Thiago Silva.

He COULD pull it off, but I think his lack of KO power as well as his weaker of the 2 chins makes him the underdog. He may have an advantage in BJJ but Rampage has the important asdvantage in the wrestling. Plus I think Rampages striking is tighter.

Silva vs Silva........very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

He COULD pull it off, but I think his lack of KO power as well as his weaker of the 2 chins makes him the underdog. He may have an advantage in BJJ but Rampage has the important asdvantage in the wrestling. Plus I think Rampages striking is tighter.

Silva vs Silva........very interesting.

no links for us yet today neil hehehe

• Advertisement

Judomad wrote: »
    no links for us yet today neil hehehe

Neither has anyone else.....no news today....... but still, I must be slackin off in my old age! :pac::pac::pac:

Here's some tidbits for you.

Gilbert melendez talking about his fight this Friday

Hughes about his injury

Cung Le to retire?

Now, Im done linkin for a while! Works somewhat busy today!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement