Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I heard the Forrest has been doing a LOT of sparring with Wandy in Xtreme Counture. The description used by Gray Maynard who witnessed one of the sessions was "brutal". Randy is smart, and will realise that Page should have the best of the stand up…..and it SHOULD only go to ground if Page wants it to……however, he does fall apart in the clinch if you put enough pressure on him in there.

Personally, I would love to see Forrest win it…..i want that match up between Student as Champion and Coach as Challenger.

Now you could market that **** all day.

Dragan wrote: »
    he does fall apart in the clinch if you put enough pressure on him in there.

Juanito alluded to this before in an inetrview (not arsed searchin for the link) and he said theyd trained hard to fix "the holes in his game".

Time will tell.

I do know that Rampage and Randy have trained exstensively together in the past and nobody makes a gameplan like Randy does (Except maybe Greg jackson!) so it'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Evan Tanner says that he's had some serious health problems for a while and if he can't get them sorted out then he's retiring

Thought there were a couple of times in the fight with Kendal Grove that he looked totally outta it and I don't mean from the hammering he was taking.
    He may have an advantage in BJJ but Rampage has the important asdvantage in the wrestling. Plus I think Rampages striking is tighter.

Although I think he gets hit a bit too easily and THAT is a BIG disadvantage against Rampage, I think Forrest will beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Av3Cm0v7dd22NTUySgclAYc9Eo14?slug=ys-mmaweekhendo062408&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dan Henderson vs Rousimar Palhares at UFC 88, at 185. That's a dangerous fight for Dan, Palhares is amazing on the ground and is supposedly looked at by the UFC as a future star

EXC have their next CBS show on July 26th. The main event is the Scott Smith/Robbie Lawler rematch. They've also got Jake Shields vs Nick Thompson to make a welterweight champ, Nick Diaz vs Thomas Denny and Antonio Silva vs someone to decide a heavyweight champ. It'll be interesting to see how this show does, as it doesn't have the big star like Kimbo or Carano on it, but it does have that rematch as well as Shields (their best fighter I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Has everyone seen this fight?

http://vodpod.com/watch/830271-josh-burkman-vs-dustin-hazelett-video

Courtesy of the underground. Eddie B seems well impressed with hazletts rubber guard and the rolling Armbar off the whizzer is sweet as.

There, I posted on the UFC thread! :p

• Advertisement

I watched it on UFC.com the other day, they have it up for free because it was fight of the night but there wasn't time to show it on the tv show. Hazelett looked really good, that's the first time that he's really caught my eye

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Although I think he gets hit a bit too easily and THAT is a BIG disadvantage against Rampage, I think Forrest will beat him.

Rampages defence on the other hand is very good, against punches anyway. I think Rampage will drop him tbh.

Forrests best chance is for Rampage to gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

UFC 89 Birmingham NIA (I seen Rush play there last october its huge ****ing deadly gig too!) headline fight is Bisping vs Leben not a great headliner in my opinion

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/article1345780.ece

Bidanged wrote: »
    UFC 89 Birmingham NIA (I seen Rush play there last october its huge ****ing deadly gig too!) headline fight is Bisping vs Leben not a great headliner in my opinion

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/article1345780.ece

Bisping vs Leben isn't a main event worthy fight really and I'd say they'll get a bigger fight onto the card, especially seeing as how the UK shows are now seen as inferior to the US ones. Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami is rumoured for the show and if Anderson does well against Irvin then that could be a good fight to put on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Has everyone seen this fight?

http://vodpod.com/watch/830271-josh-burkman-vs-dustin-hazelett-video

Courtesy of the underground. Eddie B seems well impressed with hazletts rubber guard and the rolling Armbar off the whizzer is sweet as.

There, I posted on the UFC thread! :p

WElcome to the dark side Dave!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Don't know if this would be of interest to anyone here, but points-kickboxing magician Raymond Daniels is making his mma debut tonight.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6559&zoneid=13

I saw him at the Irish Open a few years ago and I have to say his speed, reactions and showmanship were fantastic to watch, was scoring with some insane techniques. It will be really interesting to see how he has adapted his game for mma (if at all!). He could win with a spectacular KO or fall victim to ground and pound after giving up position off some crazy cartwheel kick. It should make for an exciting fight anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Hadn't heard of daniels before but had a quick look for clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5umiRnUw-aI&feature=related

Having seen this, I think, and sincerely hope, he's going to get hammered.

Hadn't heard of daniels before but had a quick look for clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5umiRnUw-aI&feature=related

Having seen this, I think, and sincerely hope, he's going to get hammered.

Ah sure that's what he's all about, when you're the best at what you do, there's nothing wrong with a bit of showboating (it gets a reaction from the crowd and evokes emotion, be it positive or negative!)

Time will tell if he can back up the cockiness in an environment where he'll probably not be able to get by all the time ( even most of the time?) relying on his crazy speed and reactions.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Ah sure that's what he's all about, when you're the best at what you do, there's nothing wrong with a bit of showboating (it gets a reaction from the crowd and evokes emotion, be it positive or negative!)

Time will tell if he can back up the cockiness in an environment where he'll probably not be able to get by all the time ( even ost of the time?) relying on his crazy speed and reactions.

To be honest it's pretty easy to be fast in points kick boxing. I have sparred a lot of guys who train souly for points kickboxing and there speed is always impressive….very much so. It's a slightly different transfer into full contact and especially into MMA…..you can't just land, you need to connect…if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

well, fights on in about 16 hours, so I guess we'll find out then :D

Interesting read re. Griffin v Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 numerocinco

Raymond Daniels has fought a fair bit of full contact kickboxing so he has a bit ofpower aswell, just recently started watching chuck norris WCL, its good if you like Kickboxing. However I imagine when Daniels comes up against an average wrestler he could be outa there fairly quickly.

cletus wrote: »

Im really looking forward to it. Its good when guys who know each other that well fight cos it takes them out of their comfort zone and forces them to try something a bit different.

Should be good.

I think Strikeforce have found the perfect opponent for Frank Shamrock! Daniels seems like he'd be good at hyping up a fight

Im really looking forward to it. Its good when guys who know each other that well fight cos it takes them out of their comfort zone and forces them to try something a bit different.

Should be good.

its being streamed on TVU (if you don't have it, you'll have to download the player, available here )

go to channel 61886

• Advertisement

Thanks dude. What times it on at? Cos Im out tongiht, was plannin on watchin it in the mornin?

3am, so you'll just be back from the pub in time :D

KJ Noons has kind of hacked me off. He appeared on Inside MMA talking about how Nick Diaz doesn't deserve another shot at his belt.

In fairness, Noons was landing on Diaz well, but the fight ended on a cut. That is hardly a decisive victory by any means and Diaz has two quality wins since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

yeh saw him on it aswell, acted like a bit of dick aswell when he took out the photo of cut up Diaz saying he painted a masterpiece and that he's an artist, if diaz didn't get cut he'd have eventualy got kj with summit, nicks as hard as nails.

KJ's the bad guy?! He'll give Diaz a rematch, there's no question about it. He's just talking himself up rather than backing down from Nick

Fozzy wrote: »
    KJ's the bad guy?! He'll give Diaz a rematch, there's no question about it. He's just talking himself up rather than backing down from Nick

In my mind, yeah. He had a chance to take the moral high ground but kept the attitude that he is the better guy and then ****ed it up.

He should watch some tape of Oscar De La Hoya and work out that if you want to put yourself across as the good guy in the situation you don't go on TV and talk a pile of ****.

Just my opinion. He's a great fighter, no doubt....but that irked me somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Interesting read re. Griffin v Jackson.

Great article, alot of interesting nuggets, especialy some of the notes.

Why would Rampage bring Jeremy May to his training camp?

I like the fact that there is no bs grudge hype here. The fight is still very marketable, but UFC dont seem to know how to market it when their is no smacktalking.

It's a shame alright. You have two highly verbal, funny and charasmatic people and the UFC can't push the fight because they won't talk ****.

It seems it is too difficult to tell both stories, predict the results of a win for both and what it could bring them and clash the two goals.

QUOTE=cletus;56384140]well, fights on in about 16 hours, so I guess we'll find out then :D[/QUOTE]
    well, that one was answered for us. a fighter with no real wrestling pedigree closed the distance on raymond and took him out of his element. all too reminiscent of an early gracie demonstration to be honest. i thought raymond would have been clever enough do some serious cross-training before he moved into mma. I dunno, maybe he did, but his inexperience was clear in this fight either way

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    cletus wrote: »
    well, that one was answered for us. a fighter with no real wrestling pedigree closed the distance on raymond and took him out of his element. all too reminiscent of an early gracie demonstration to be honest. i thought raymond would have been clever enough do some serious cross-training before he moved into mma. I dunno, maybe he did, but his inexperience was clear in this fight either way

Chuck Norris was wrong!

I watched a few fights from the show, main event was the best, Melendez vs Thomson.
    Thomson had the perfect gameplan for Gilbert, he did a good job. I've sort of been inclined to discount Melendez's loss to Ishida in Japan as Ishida won by mainly just holding Melendez down. He didn't do much damage at all whereas Melendez did. But Thomson has shown that it is possible to beat Melendez in a decisive manner. Impressive stuff

Don't watch Southworth vs Ruiz. Boring fight. Crowd booed both guys heavily at the end

Nam Phan vs Billy Evangelista
    I thought the judges got this one wrong. Phan won the last two rounds I thought. There were some decent exchanges in the fight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement