Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

Great job by Thompson, fair play to him, Melendez looked more and more lost as the fight went on. Thompson came in with the perfect gameplan and never strayed from it. Great fight.

I didnt get to watch the rest yet tho, I missed the live stream im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

As far as I can see UFC 86 is not on Bravo next Sunday, and is only live on Setanta Sports at 3am on Sunday morning. I have no Setanta Sports, nor do my mates and I can't afford to get it. Any ideas how I can watch the UFC this weekend or am I just resigned to reading reports after the action? PM me if you have any ideas. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Just looking at Setanta's schedule for next week, they've only got one replay of UFC 86 and it's on Wednesday at 7pm on Setanta Sports 1. I'm a bit surprised by that. I thought that they would've stuck on at least one other replay

Too many ads about pipes to show....:rolleyes:

Thank god for Sky Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Repeats are on at 8pm on Setanta 2 on Sunday 6th of July.

Well that's what it says on the UFC UK website but not on the Setanta one.

• Advertisement

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Repeats are on at 8pm on Setanta 2 on Sunday 6th of July.

Well that's what it says on the UFC UK website but not on the Setanta one.

Whereabouts does it say that? I'm looking at the tv calender on uk.ufc.com and it has the live show listed but not any replays at all. I found the Wednesday replay listed on Setanta's site and tvguide.co.uk

EDIT: Ah, I see the Sunday replay listed on the fight card page. That's the time that I assumed they'd put a replay on at, but it's odd that they have other stuff listed for that time less than a week away from the show

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

Looks like the Ufc will becoming to dublin soon as the point is reopened

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=726&offset=0

They said that a good while ago but recently they seem to be concentrating on Germany and Australia mainly. I'm sure they'll make it over here at some point within the next three years at most. They've got enough "Irish" guys to pack the card anyway!

Fozzy wrote: »
    They said that a good while ago but recently they seem to be concentrating on Germany and Australia mainly. I'm sure they'll make it over here at some point within the next three years at most. They've got enough "Irish" guys to pack the card anyway!

When I met Dana a few weeks back in the O2 I asked him that exact question and he said "definitely next year"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Z: Why did you walk away?

JM: I walked away because I was frustrated. I was frustrated with the way some things were being handled. I didn’t believe that there were people being put into positions that had the ability to judge fights or referee fights, that knew what they were doing. That bothered me. It bothered me because I’m looking at a judge that is gonna judge a fighter’s fight and he doesn’t understand what those fighters are doing. And this person has the ability to affect the fighter’s livelyhood. And it’s wrong. And I felt like a hypocrite because I worked for the commission and they were allowing this kind of person to be in a position of power and to have that say over who’s going to win the fight. I just didn’t want to be part of that.

Z: Wow.

JM: It just upset me to the point where I didn’t want to do this anymore. I love the refereeing. I love doing that. It’s just people that are out there, they just don’t know what is going on in a fight. Fighters are doing things on the ground, they have no concept of what is taking place. They really don’t understand who is in control of the fight. They don’t understand the techniques that are being applied. And if you don’t understand that, how are you able to make an educated judgment on who wins that fight? You can take a look at the last Ultimate Fight Night. Evan Tanner against Kendall Grove. There was a judge there who gave that fight to Evan Tanner. How do you do that? I don’t know. Taking nothing away from Evan, he’s a great fighter, but he did not win that fight. And to say he did, it’s a crime.

Z: How are these incompetent judges getting their jobs?

JM: You know what, you tell me.

• Advertisement

Love Big John.

I remember Charuto vs Hughes. Charuto had Hughes in a traiangle and an armbar for large parts of round 1, Hughes couldnt do anything inside his guard, he landed no strikes and spend the whole round on the defensive. NOBODY in their right mind thought Hughes won that round but one of the judges gave him the fight 30-27. Some of the judges are a disgrace tbh. I think some of them judge who wins the round by who gets the takedown rather than whats happenin on the ground. And its noticable because just before Big Nog made his UFC debut he said he;d been working real hard on staying off his back.....this is the same Big Nog who made a career out of having the most dangerous guard in the HW div. Its insulting to BJJ tbh.

It's simply because the commissions have judges who are boxing people. These guys have been judging boxing matches for years so they're seen as good judges, despite the fact that they're good boxing judges, not MMA judges. For the most part they're competent I think though. It's when there's one guy who dominates the ground for half the fight and his opponent gets the slight better of the stand up that you can get problems. Also with takedowns apparently counting more than submission attempts like Neil1984 said, even though a submission is a lot more likely to end a fight than a takedown

I remember hearing a story about an MMA fight, I can't remember who it was who told it though. He said that he was at an event that Cecil Peoples was refereeing at and one fighter had the other fighter mounted. Peoples stopped the fight to get a cut looked at or something along those lines and when he put them back into position he told the fighter on the bottom to put his legs around his opponent. The fighter on top said that he had the guy mounted and Peoples told him that it's all the same and to do what he says. Imagine if that happened in the UFC! Peoples is probably the most infamous MMA judge as far as giving bad scores goes

Rich Franklin vs Matt Hamill at UFC88, LH

CB dolloway vs Jesse Taylor at the next UFN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Rich Franklin vs Matt Hamill at UFC88, LH

CB dolloway vs Jesse Taylor at the next UFN

Franklin Vs Hamill is an odd one.....is this the start of Franklin's career as gate keeper to the champ?

Had heard CB was gonna be fighting Jesse alright. Should be an interesting fight, if only to see what Jesse says should he win.

The odds are up on Paddy Power here for any people who wanna bet.

Nice odds on Lytle, Aurelio, Forrest and Gleison.

Franklin Hammill for me is a funny kind of match up. I have heard that this may be at 205lbs?

Franklin moving to 205 make some sense. He is a big strong 185er, i also get the impression he can add a bit more size without it slowing him that much at all. Unless he completely changes his game ( learns to shoot ) he won't be getting through the Spider any time soon.

I don't see him holding a belt at 205 but there are some interesting fights there for him.

Dragan wrote: »
    Franklin moving to 205 make some sense. He is a big strong 185er, i also get the impression he can add a bit more size without it slowing him that much at all. Unless he completely changes his game ( learns to shoot ) he won't be getting through the Spider any time soon.

I don't see him holding a belt at 205 but there are some interesting fights there for him.

Thing is he took Anderson down the second time but got outclassed in the ensuing jiujitsu scramble. I dont think he has ANYTHING for Anderson tbh.

He'd provide some interesting matches at 205 lbs but with Anderson movin up he;s damned if he does and damned if he doesnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The odds are up on Paddy Power here for any people who wanna bet.

Nice odds on Lytle, Aurelio, Forrest and Gleison.

Franklin Hammill for me is a funny kind of match up. I have heard that this may be at 205lbs?

I put a tenner on a four fight accumulator with kos, stevenson, almeida and aurelio. To be honest, i'm fairly confident of the first three, but fear that if the aurelio fight doesn't end in a sub for aurelio that griffin will get the decision. Seems a more aggressive fighter.

A bit of luck and it'll return in the region of 110 bills, worth a cheeky tenner.

Thinking about subscribing to NTL tonight, anyone elso doing this?

UFC is on live, but are the ygonna show repeats?

dunkamania wrote: »
    Thinking about subscribing to NTL tonight, anyone elso doing this?

UFC is on live, but are the ygonna show repeats?

It was mentioned on the last page that Setanta and the tv guides say there's a repeat on Wednesday at 7pm. The UFC UK site says that there's a repeat on Setanta Sports 2 at 8pm on Sunday, but Setanta don't have that listed. Maybe they'll clear it up on their UFC news show today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

thinking about signing up to setanta myself, 19.99 a month.... its not too bad for all the events. Some good boxing on there too.

StaggerLee wrote: »
    thinking about signing up to setanta myself, 19.99 a month.... its not too bad for all the events. Some good boxing on there too.

Is that what it is on Sky? It's €15 on NTL

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Is that what it is on Sky? It's €15 on NTL

jaysus, yad not get the WWE ppv for that, and thats a month of setanta, ur in the wrong sport mate :D:p:D:p:D:p

Judomad wrote: »
    jaysus, yad not get the WWE ppv for that, and thats a month of setanta, ur in the wrong sport mate :D:p:D:p:D:p

I'm proud to say that I've never paid for a WWE PPV in my life!

I was just reading an article on Yahoo Sports, Dana mentioned that the WEC middleweight and lightheavyweight divisions might be dropped and the fighters would go to the UFC. The biggest thing to come out of that would be Paulo Filho in the UFC, which would be great

The biggest thing to come out of that would be Paulo Filho in the UFC, which would be great

I don't know, Paulo hasn't exactly been setting the world alight lately.

Dragan wrote: »
    I don't know, Paulo hasn't exactly been setting the world alight lately.

From what I've heard he's out of rehab and he's got his problems sorted out. If that's true then I think he could do alright. I'm not his biggest fan but he's got a better chance of doing well in the UFC than any other 185 or 205 WEC fighter

Time to get the buzz going for Saturday night...predictions lads??

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin - Rampage via early KO.

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida - Almeida by sub in Rd 1

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau - "Daddy" by dec

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle - Head said kos, heart says Lytle. I want Lytle to win so ill go Lytle by KO

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio - Guarantee this is the FOTN and ill go with Tyson by KO cos I think he knows Aurelio is way ahead of him on the ground but Tysons the better wrestler and striker IMO.

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Justin McCully - Gonzaga via TKO

Cole Miller vs. Jorge Gurgel - stil waiting for Jorge to show up and fight to his full potential but ill keep the faith. Gurgel by sub.

Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver - Melvin via TKO

Corey Hill vs. Justin Buchholz - I havent seen Buchholz fight. So ill go with Hill.

I'm thinkin...

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin - Rampage round three KO

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida - Almeida round one submission

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau - Stevenson by decision

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle - Decision for Koscheck

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio - I dunno about this being FOTN, I think Tyson will get the early sub

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Justin McCully - Gonzaga first round KO

Cole Miller vs. Jorge Gurgel - Gurgel by decision .

Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver - Siver by submission, round two

Corey Hill vs. Justin Buchholz - I'll go with Hill by KO

Tyson by sub? A bold call!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Tyson by sub? A bold call!!

A silly call IMO, Aurelio is a ground whizz. I think Aurelio will win by sub or UD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement