Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Would there be any benefit in returning to the old 8 man tournie format (or even 4 man ) with so many fighters available? Or is this too unreasonable on the fighters?

Good idea. Everyone loves a good tourney, except Dana White. It would have to be spread over 2 or 3 events though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Anyone going to be doing any bets? I'm looking at an accum. I've got Gonzaga, Koscheck, Almeida so far. What are your picks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

I think there trying to clean up the sport by turning it in to a money spinner ..I use to like the last man standing competitions the old under ground stuff just before the Japs took it to the ring format... I'll have a look at the betting formats see what kind of odds are coming up ..I have no fav's yet ..any ideas :confused: on who you like to win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

riff-raff wrote: »
    I think there trying to clean up the sport by turning it in to a money spinner ..I use to like the last man standing competitions the old under ground stuff just before the Japs took it to the ring format... I'll have a look at the betting formats see what kind of odds are coming up ..I have no fav's yet ..any ideas :confused: on who you like to win

There was MMA in rings in Japan before there were ever cages in the US

I don't usually place bets but if I was doing one I'd do an accumulator on Aurelio, Rampage, Koscheck and Stevenson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I've put €8 on Tibau, Tyson Griffin, Rampage, Almeida, Koscheck and Gonzaga. Returns €90. Might do another bet with fewer picks.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    There was MMA in rings in Japan before there were ever cages in the US

I don't usually place bets but if I was doing one I'd do an accumulator on Aurelio, Rampage, Koscheck and Stevenson

:o I know that... but i liked the old last man standing competitions ..where you had to fight to the final ... there was only 2 rules no biting and no eye gouging... 30 minutes in a pen only way to win was by knock out or tap out...

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin - Awesome fight, pone of the best main events Ive watched in a while. Very back and forth, I definitely think it was closer than 48-46. I thought could have been a draw myself but would have no complaints. Griffin did more work but the real quality strikes than landed in the later rounds were all Rampages. However Forrest was IMO winning Round 1 before he got dropped and that had me giving it 10-9 Rampage. He 10-8'd Rd 2 for me and after that it was close but like I said i though Forrest did more work and rampage landed the better strikes. Quality or quantity? I suppose the leg kicks were just as much if not more quality than Rampages power shots so hats off to Forrest....congratulations to him! Forrest, delighted for him,, anyone who doesnt admire that guy for the way he operates and his work ethic cant be a true fan IMO. The fight metric stats called it as a draw, link at the bottom. I definitely think there should be a rematch.

On a sidenote, i had a feelin forrest was gonna get it when the post fight replays showed the leg kicks and didnt show the knockdown. it seemed a bit more biased towards Forrest. just an observation.

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida - Bit of a let down. I thought Almeida could have pushed more for a sub when he had his chance. In the third I thought he should fall back for an ankle lock given the time left in the round. I found it hard to judge, could have gone either way. i thought Almeida edged it myself but it was close.

Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau - "Daddy" did well to hang on and I actually thought he had the first guillotine in deep for a second. Tibau is enormous for 155!

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle - I had a feeling Kos was gonna take it down but credit to him he didnt blanket him. Good performance from kos. And fair play to Lytle, tough tough guy.

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio - Good fight, not FOTN like I thought it would be though! Disappointed in Aurelio's performance personally. I though he should have been more aggressive on the feet seeing as he wasnt worried about being taken down and had the reach advantage. He was too stand offish and let tyson get off first. Tyson needs to finish a fight or two for me before a title shot but he's definitely close.

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Justin McCully - Gonzaga played to his biggest strengths...Leg Kicks and Top game BJJ. Good showing.

Cole Miller vs. Jorge Gurgel - And again jorge doesnt bring his A game. ive a feeling we wont see him in UFC again. he may go to WEC 145?

Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver - only saw what etanta showed. Wanna see his ground game again.

Corey Hill vs. Justin Buchholz - I hadnt seen Buchholz fight but a solid showing from him. Nice choke in the end.

Stats for Rampage vs griffin fight

:pac::pac::pac:

Forrest and Rampage was a great fight. I had it as a draw. Pity for Rampage that his leg went on him, he's a tough tough guy

They've got to do a rematch at some stage but I was also thinking about how this opens up Rampage vs Wanderlei and Forrest vs Chuck

Tyson Griffin didn't get the submission for me :pac:

Almeida was disappointing, that wasn't a great fight
    Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver - only saw what etanta showed. Wanna see his ground game again.
    What did they show? I heard it only went half a minute, they didn't clip that did they?!

There's an article here talking about a few things: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AipeTdf99cmC1V1vFPbyu3Y9Eo14?slug=dm-white070508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns Dana says that the UFC are definitely not going to use different weight classes and he believes that John McCarthy has it in for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I was half asleep watching the main event. When the time came for decision I think I felt the same way Rampage did. It was a very close fight but he was beaten. The second round whooping really being the deciding factor in my opinion. I think Rampage was the better boxer, but Forrest looked like he had better kicks, better clinch and much superior on the ground. Rampage may have landed more shots but few of them were real bell ringers. More importantly I think Forrest came me the impression he had the much better gameplan and much better fighter intelligence. I think Rampage is a special kind of fighter with almost unmatched intuition for fighting - ,just look at his submission escapes but Forrest worked harder and more efficiently. If they do rematch, either next fight or a couple of fights away I can still see Rampage winning but I don't think he has a different gameplan or a style up his sleeve. He will just have to be more aggressive and make his boxing and aggression work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Griffin whooooooped rampage

delighted for forrest ,a true champion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

There are already alot of calls for a rematch. Instead hope they put on some of the other top notch fights available in the LHW category.

Almeida Cote was an awkwawrd matchup, sometimes striker vs grappler works, sometimes it doesnt.

Fozzy wrote: »
    What did they show? I heard it only went half a minute, they didn't clip that did they?!

They just showed the KO.

Mirko is out of the DREAM event on July 21st.

gatling, surely considering everyone else was sensitive to the tim eit was on and not assuming everyone stayied up till 6 in the mornin, a spoiler tag wouldnt have been too much effort? Also he whooped him in one round. Id like to see Forrest vs Rampage rematch but UFC normally will make a guy fight once or twice before getting another shot so Id imagine Rampage will have to fight Wandy, Soku or Machida before getting another shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 numerocinco

Did I miss a replay of the UFC event or what, as I couldnt believe setanta replayed it at 12 midnight. Does anybody know if its going to be replayed during the week. At least with Bravo it was on about 8/9 on the Sunday. Wasnt too impressed to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Ya with a division that stacked it's hard to see a rematch immediately.
    Arlovski got one after losing to Tim but that division was pretty thin back then.

Pretty pissed off i haven't seen one fight yet. :( Fell asleep about an hour before it stated on Sat night. Then missed the repeat last night as it wasn't on till 12:15.
    Fingers crossed there's another repeat on at a better time this week. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any problems with the decision? Some rumblings on the web as far as I can see, but sure isn't there always with a big fight that goes to the judges.

I missed the first showing because of work...:o whats the news on the re-show ...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

riff-raff wrote: »
    I missed the first showing because of work...:o whats the news on the re-show ...

yeah i had avoided the results too until our friend Gatlin on heer tells the poxy result of the main event :mad::mad::mad:

nice one mate:mad:

Kazooie wrote: »
    Ya with a division that stacked it's hard to see a rematch immediately.
    Arlovski got one after losing to Tim but that division was pretty thin back then.

Pretty pissed off i haven't seen one fight yet. :( Fell asleep about an hour before it stated on Sat night. Then missed the repeat last night as it wasn't on till 12:15.
    Fingers crossed there's another repeat on at a better time this week. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any problems with the decision? Some rumblings on the web as far as I can see, but sure isn't there always with a big fight that goes to the judges.

Tim asked for an immediate rematch cos he didnt want Arlovski getting a run of wins together and having momentum again.

Sorry about the spoil, some of us tried.

Like I said, I thought it was a draw. Fozzy had it as a draw, a lot of sigfhts Ive read called it as a draw, fight metric which is one of the most scientific sites for judging called it as a draw under UFC rules and a Rampage win under PRIDE rules.

Tim asked for an immediate rematch cos he didnt want Arlovski getting a run of wins together and having momentum again.

Sorry about the spoil, some of us tried.

Like I said, I thought it was a draw. Fozzy had it as a draw, a lot of sigfhts Ive read called it as a draw, fight metric which is one of the most scientific sites for judging called it as a draw under UFC rules and a Rampage win under PRIDE rules.

obviously under DANA rules its different though, suprised though considering forrest is a couture lad....anyway thanks for using spoilers all of you who did....and for those who didnt...well thanks :mad:

Judomad wrote: »
    obviously under DANA rules its different though, suprised though considering forrest is a couture lad....anyway thanks for using spoilers all of you who did....and for those who didnt...well thanks :mad:

Yea its funny that cos at the end of the fight all the replays were of Forrests ground and pound and leg kicks. Not one replay of Rampage dropping Forrest or of the powerbomb....that I thought was a bit questionable.

Well i did read recently Dana say that he likes Randy and its just business....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I had it as a draw too, actually I would have put Forrest a bit ahead but when it comes to a decision I think the old adage is right - to dethrone the champ you should have to BEAT the champ, not be a little ahead.

Super-impressed with Forrest though, I thought he was gonna get KTFO and didn't really think he deserved the title-shot in the first place, but he really made the most of his attributes & also his rarely-seen ground-game looked pretty tight when he was there. Rampage seemed to run out of ideas when 'punching him hard and maybe knocking him out' didn't work?

Interesting to compare the two fighter's faces in the post-fight interviews actually, Rampage didn't even look like he was in a fight! (Though I'd say he'll have some left-over memories of round 2 every time he squats down for the jacks for the next week or so! :D)

• Advertisement

Yea its funny that cos at the end of the fight all the replays were of Forrests ground and pound and leg kicks. Not one replay of Rampage dropping Forrest or of the powerbomb....that I thought was a bit questionable.

Well i did read recently Dana say that he likes Randy and its just business....

yeah its kinda weird that it was all forrest on the replays as you say, and i heard the word powerbomb, now i really wanna see this fight :D considering the name and all :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I gotta be honest and say that i had this for Griffin. In the later rounds he controlled more, was more agressive.....two major scoring points within the UFC.

I love fight metric but it can't measure control and agression and these are things that you are scored for at the end of the day.

Dragan wrote: »
    I gotta be honest and say that i had this for Griffin. In the later rounds he controlled more, was more agressive.....two major scoring points within the UFC.

I love fight metric but it can't measure control and agression and these are things that you are scored for at the end of the day.

im banned from the fitness forum over that spin muppet, any chance you can unban me early dragan, its only meant to be till tomorrow....thanks :D:P

i thought Forrest threw too many strikes that didnt land. i found Rampage landed more quality. Forrests leg kicks dried up after that second round. It depends on what way you're looking at it. Its also very hard when you're rooting for a fighter. I had money on Forrest
    (my accumulator went arseways with Aurelio and Almeida losing :()
    and I honestly had it as a draw.

Effective striking - Rampage landed more cleanly, Forrest threw more... slight edge for quality over quantity IMO

Aggression - depends, Rampage and Forrest kinda took turns moving forward. Rampage looked to take Forrests head off regularly though.....even

Grappling - Forrest owned in round 2 BUT he never landed a takedown, the ones he tried either got stuffed or reversed. Forrest controlled pretty well from the bottom but Rampage landed some decent GNP in rounds 1 and 4, and a slam (albeit defending a triangle) slight edge Forrest

Octagon Control - they both took turns having the centre of the ring. Forrest did make himself very elusive though and used the space well to stick and move....even

One I look for is damage - Rampages face was fine, Forrest was a mess BUT Rampage limped out of the cage at the end....even

It was a toughie, rematch has to happen.

im banned from the fitness forum over that spin muppet, any chance you can unban me early dragan, its only meant to be till tomorrow....thanks :D:P

Hell no, take your spankings and don't get drawn into arguments with internet warriors! :D

Hell no, take your spankings and don't get drawn into arguments with internet warriors! :D

tut tut, i wouldnt mind but i was only having a bit of fun, way different levels of tollerance on here than there is on there......i dont like u anymore:p

There's a replay on Setanta at 7pm on Wednesday according to the tv guide

I don't think that the replays meant anything after the fight, the judges weren't going to be watching them. If anything it was the producer anticipating that Forrest had won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I homestly think that some of these UFC title fights must be fixed. GSP should have been pissed off after his loss to Serra. Rampage the same after getting beaten by Forrest.

tut tut, i wouldnt mind but i was only having a bit of fun, way different levels of tollerance on here than there is on there......i dont like u anymore:p

Ah you know you do.

Besides, i have always said that you guys get away with murder over here. :)

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    GSP should have been pissed off after his loss to Serra.

GSP got mugged the first time out against Serra.

End of. How the hell can getting knocked the **** out be fixed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement