Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Silva vs Irvin is on setanta 2 tonight live @ 2am....just in case no one's posted it already.

The advantage of night shift, I'll be staying up to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

lafors wrote: »
    Silva vs Irvin is on setanta 2 tonight live @ 2am....just in case no one's posted it already.

The advantage of night shift, I'll be staying up to watch

im getting no signal on my box now for setanta ARG!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

what box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Wallko

Sick I lost one channel off my box last week. Guess which one? Setanta 2!Just realised now as i sat down to watch it. Absolute sick! Anyone have any ideas how to get channels back of a special gaget called "the box"

is it *******? rescan the channels if that doesnt work. delete the setanta channel that's not working and rescan. pin is 0000

• Advertisement

yeah im missing setanta 2 for a few weeks now. Any idea what to do? I rescanned using the auto rescan button. Is the pin the same for all of them? Dont know much about it as my bro bought it and set it up etc and is in Oz at the mo.

Would be so gratefull if you could help me get it back before the spider devours his prey:D

ok deleted the channel, your code was spot on. In the process of updating it. Im doing an auto scan. Is this correct?

ok finished scan, channel is gone. Only diff now is the setanta 2 channel is totally gone. How do i get it back?

you sure it's not at the end of the list? check your pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Affliction banned
    Fedor in 36 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Affliction
    Oh my god that was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

fozzy for best spoiler comment :D (and I agree totally)

Haven't watched every fight yet but from what I've watched:

Affliction
    WOW!! :D Great show.

The man is unbelievable. He broke his thumb in that 36 seconds though. Link

Fedor ALWAYS seems to open up with that straight right - left hook - clinch - dirty boxing combo and nobody seems to be able to handle it! He did that exact combo to Goodridge and Goodridge folded immediately, he hits HARD!

Vitor looked pretty good. Looks like XC have him in shape and playing to his strengths. Nice mix in his striking and good scrambling off the bottom.

Mini Nog - was funny to see him stand up and give up top position on the ground bearing in mind his credentials but fair play, he wanted the KO clearly and he got it. looked really good but then Edwin deWees was overmatched to begin with. DeWees needed to open up and go for broke but he just backed off throwing half hearted leg kicks. IMO he never stood a chance.

Arlovski looked awesome. The flying knee was fantastic! his hands looked very sharp (as expected) and he looks to have the old aggression back. That said, Rothwell has a HARD head!!

Barnett, great to see his striking on display, apparently its Barnett vs Arlovski next and Couture vs Fedor (thats what theyre aiming for anyway)

Goodridge vs Buentello - all im gonna say was that i was suprised it didnt end quickly!!

UFC
    Anderson, what can you say, he;s a machine. If you;re gonna argue that its him or Fedor for the current P4P I agree BUT Anderson needs to fight the really TOP guys from now on to substantiate those claims.

The fight itself, Anderson did a nice job taking no chances with Irvins only chance - his power. He timed that right hand so well and the ground and pound after looked PAINFUL!

Vera looked amazing in round 1 and then faded away. He was bbetter in the wrestling, the striking and the jits but he didnt really open up after the 1st. The weight cut affected him like he said but he needs to sort that out because he'll lose to better guys if he's sluggish like that. Great to see him showin some love for Rampage.

Dolloway looked the more rounded fighter against Taylor. Hey Dave - how ironic seeing a fight finished with the Peruvian necktie!! :pac::D

Havent seen the rets of the fights as im running out now but overall so far I'm :)

Some news tidbits:

Affliction MMA could wind up within 2 more shows if they arent making money though. Link

Dana talks about the Affliction main event (warning - spoiler) Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Silva looked awsome at 205, hope he gets some better opponents to really prove his p4p status up there.

Well worth staying up til 6am for.
    The affliction show was a bit hap hazard, I'm sure the details of their gaffs will be on sherdog. However, they were a success where it mattered most - in the ring. The 3 big fights proved to be great entertainment, Josh Barnett showing his striking is very dangerous, Arlovski putting on a great show and of course Fedor, kicking arse again.

Brandon Vera had a pretty dull performance but looked MASSIVE at 205 and flung his opponent around. If he sorts the cut out he will give everyone problems.

CB dolloway at last redeemed himself and proved he was probably the 2nd best guy on the show pulling off the PNT. Lovely sub.

I'm sure the L on Anthony Johnsons card will have to be reconsidered (if that's possible) cause that was a sore looking poke in the eye. Straight out of kempo 901.

Also a lovely Gonzago ko in the undercard. Has to be seen.

Anderson silva, didn't look small at 205 and crushed Irvin. I think the stoppage was slow, 6/7 punches unanswered.

Fedor couldn't have been any more impressive in how he won. That's got to prove all the doubters wrong who thought that he'd crumble when matched with a top heavyweight. Fastest Sylvia loss ever

I was kinda drunk and tired watching the bits that I saw so I'll have to watch it again. I only saw the second round of Barnett, it looked like he was taking some heavy shots and getting annoyed at himself but he came back so well

Arlovski was so good, just firing away, that was great to watch

Anderson was stopped a bit late I think. I forget, but I think he had both of Irvin's arms pinned and Irvin couldn't do anything long before the stoppage. Great work by him

Vera's got to be the most out of shape guy at 205, at least by looks. I didn't see the first round so I've no idea how well he did overall, but it looked like he was dominating without being dangerous. The fans do like him so he's got a big upside if he can cut out the boring fights

Anthony Johnson looked hard done by. I knew straight away that somethin was up, it was like he dived after the punch! I don't think that he was winning as much as I thought he would though, seemed like he was taking a fair amount of damage

All in all a very good night of MMA, now roll on DREAM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Very impressed with Fedor. Unforunately its going to be very hard to market him now. He is like Anderson in that there is no one in his weight class who looks like they could make it out of Rd1. At least with Anderson there are interesting matchups in the next weight class up. Hard to see Coutoure beating Fedor.

Awesome from Anderson, slow stoppage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Caught a few of the affliction fights online. Looked like a quality event. Will be a shame the ppv buys will probably be low but what a way to promote a new promotion with fights like that!
    Fedor: All I can say is wow. He made Tim look like a novice. Crisp striking and that transition into back control was so quick. Anyone else think Sylvia tapped very quick? Looked to me like the choke wasn't even sunk fully.:confused:

Go on the Pitbull! Back to his explosive best.he was throwin bombs and dancin around like a lightweight for almost the entire fight. Can't remember seen him throw a headkick since the cabbage fight. Great KO to top it off. :)
    Would love to see him fight fedor now. :p He probably won't win but that would be a war!

Watching some of Affliction that I didn't see before, the commentary is so bad. They're coming across as so desperate and making the fighters sound bad
    Kazooie wrote:
    Anyone else think Sylvia tapped very quick? Looked to me like the choke wasn't even sunk fully.:confused:
    Sylvia said that it was a windpipe choke and that it was very sore

Fozzy wrote: »
    Fedor couldn't have been any more impressive in how he won. That's got to prove all the doubters wrong who thought that he'd crumble when matched with a top heavyweight. Fastest Sylvia loss ever

I was kinda drunk and tired watching the bits that I saw so I'll have to watch it again. I only saw the second round of Barnett, it looked like he was taking some heavy shots and getting annoyed at himself but he came back so well

Arlovski was so good, just firing away, that was great to watch

Anderson was stopped a bit late I think. I forget, but I think he had both of Irvin's arms pinned and Irvin couldn't do anything long before the stoppage. Great work by him

Vera's got to be the most out of shape guy at 205, at least by looks. I didn't see the first round so I've no idea how well he did overall, but it looked like he was dominating without being dangerous. The fans do like him so he's got a big upside if he can cut out the boring fights

Anthony Johnson looked hard done by. I knew straight away that somethin was up, it was like he dived after the punch! I don't think that he was winning as much as I thought he would though, seemed like he was taking a fair amount of damage

All in all a very good night of MMA, now roll on DREAM!

RE: Vera being out of shape, what about Mike Whitehead cutting 68lbs in 2 and a half months!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Just a quick heads-up... the Rory Markham vs Brodie Farber fight is awesome. Stand-up WAR!

http://www.mmascraps.com/2008/07/rory-markham-vs-brodie-farber-video-ufn.html

Edit: Double post

This is hilarious!!:pac::pac::pac:

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

RE: what about Mike Whitehead cutting 68lbs in 2 and a half months!!

He admitted that he told a porkie, he was 250lbs and not 275

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

All I can say about Fedor is wow, he's had some impressive fights in the past but that was just poetry. The way that man dishes out pain is inspiring.
    Glad to see Tim get taken down a notch, I've never rated him as a fighter, and I don't like how he rates himself so highly even though he's extremely limited.

I can't see couture beating fedor but that's still a fight I wanna see (even though it's really unlikely to happen).
    Good to see Arlovski back in form too.

In the UFC, not that I wanna take anything away from Silva but I expected a better show from Irvin, I can forgive him for being cautious but I thought how he got caught was quite poor. Fair play to Anderson though you can't make a mistake when you in there with that man.

Still watching the rest of the fights. Just saw the markham-farber fight.....BAM! And the Taylor -Dolloway fight was sweet. Didn't think CB had it in him.

Joachim Hansen won the Dream LWGP, he replaced Eddie Alvarez as an alternate. Disappointed with my man Hunt who lost by submission

Joachim Hansen won the Dream LWGP, he replaced Eddie Alvarez as an alternate. Disappointed with my man Hunt who lost by submission

I'm just watching DREAM now....stupid of me.....I thought this was an Affliction spoiler :o:(

My bad.

Have only watched Uno v Aoki and Hunt v Overeem so far. Suprised Hunt went to the ground tbh. Overeem gets better and better, I wanna know his new trainign regime!! Although i think a lot of his improvement comees with the larghe amount of muscle mass he's put on.

Aoki must have tried every sub in the world on Uno but just couldnt finish.

I haven't found a watchable copy of these fights yet, except the lw gp final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Hunt v Overeem - WARNING possible still-screen spoiler (not sure 'cos I'm only watching it now).
    http://www.mmascraps.com/2008/07/mark-hunt-vs-alistair-overeem-video.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭starrywalsh

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL, your not giving Tim, his camp, or Pat a whole lot of credit are you?

Dragan said this to me a while back when I said Tim Silva would be lucky to get to the 2nd min with fador.

For my next prediction - randy better retire, because Fador will finish him with strikes within two mins. Lets hope this fight happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement