Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

Dragan said this to me a while back when I said Tim Silva would be lucky to get to the 2nd min with fador.

For my next prediction - randy better retire, because Fador will finish him with strikes within two mins. Lets hope this fight happens.

Who's fador?! :pac:

there;s the first of the "told you so" posts from this weekends event so!

hard to say with randy fedor. randy is too wily at this stage to not expect a rish from fedor. Tim said he expeected more of a feeling out process. Fedor in the past has been caused most problems by wrestlers so i think randy would pose an interesting challenge to him. i think randy would suffer without the ring mind you and I think Fedor would probably win but I dont think itd be as straightforward as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

there;s the first of the "told you so" posts from this weekends event so!

How come people always come back and search for me in these situations?:pac:

Dragan wrote: »

You're a SDMA mod now, a marked man, the target is on your back!! :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/7/21/576287/affliction-banned-officia

Fedor Emelianenko: $300,000 (no win bonus)
    Tim Sylvia: $800,000

Andrei Arlovski: $750,000 (includes $250,000 win bonus)
    Ben Rothell: $250,000

Josh Barnett: $300,000 (no win bonus)
    Pedro Rizzo: $70,000

Mark Hominick: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
    Savant Young: $7,000

Renato "Babalu" Sobral: $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
    Mike Whitehead: $50,000

Matt Lindland: $300,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)
    Fabio Nascimento: $20,00O

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $50,000 (no win bonus)
    Edwin Dewees: $15,000

Mike Pyle: $20,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
    JJ Ambrose: $5,000

Ray Lizama: $3,000
    Justin Levens: $6000*

Vitor Belfort: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
    Terry Martin: $30,000

Paul Buentello: $80,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
    Gary Goodridge: $25,000

Total payouts for the event totaled just over $3.3m. This does not include any special bonuses that may have been awarded.

Fedor at 300k and Sylvia at 800k.......I originally questioned Sylvia leaving the UFC, clearly I was wrong. I am assuming Fedor got some additioanl bonus also.

Live gate for the night was $2.1 million

Those figures make interesting reading. Makes you wonder about the longevity of Affliction. Im praying that 1) the hardcore fans and the likes of Arlovski etc made enough people buy it and 2) the fact that the fights themselves were great was enough to get people onto the Affliction bandwagon.

All I will say is with UFC 14, Affliction and DREAM 5 this is possibly the best weekend for MMA fans in the history of the sport.

• Advertisement

http://xtremecouture.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/vitor-belfort-interview/

Interview with Vitor, he broke his hand on the first punch

Just to add to the salaries thing, Id say the overheads were pretty expensive too, excluding the obvious like renting the arena, staff and commentators Id say Megadeth cos them a fair chunk of change as well which obviously brings the expenses up higher.

UFN payday

Anderson Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus issued)
    Brandon Vera: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)
    Frankie Edgar: $51,000 (includes $13,000 win bonus and $25,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus)
    CB Dollaway: $45,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus and $25,000 “Submission of the Night” bonus)
    Hermes Franca: $42,000 (includes $25,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus)
    Rory Markham: $37,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus and $25,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus)
    James Irvin: $20,000
    Tim Credeur: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    Reese Andy: $15,000
    Cain Velasquez: $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus)
    Jake O’Brien: $11,000
    Kevin Burns: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
    Brad Blackburn: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
    Anthony Johnson: $9,000
    Nate Loughran: $8,000 (includes $4,000 win bonus)
    Jesse Taylor: $8,000
    Cale Yarbrough: $8,000
    Shannon Gugerty: $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
    Johnny Rees: $4,000
    Brodie Farber: $3,000
    James Giboo: $3,000
    Dale Hartt: $3,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Just to add to the salaries thing, Id say the overheads were pretty expensive too, excluding the obvious like renting the arena, staff and commentators Id say Megadeth cos them a fair chunk of change as well which obviously brings the expenses up higher.

They might have got Megadeth free, Affliction sponsor them as far as I know

I'm sure Fedor is getting a big cheque from his management too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Fair play to Tim - not too many people that make nearly 25k a second!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭starrywalsh

Dragan wrote: »

Sorry Dragan :D

Anyway, back to the topic, who thinks Brandan Vera is the most overpaid fighter over both cards, I reckon the UFC will be looking at his contract very soon!!

Anyway, back to the topic, who thinks Brandan Vera is the most overpaid fighter over both cards, I reckon the UFC will be looking at his contract very soon!!

Well, Vera has to give $100,000 of his purse to his former manager because of the CSAC's ruling earlier this year. Vera said that his manager had acted illegally but the CSAC ruled that his manager had done everything right and it was Vera who had acted wrongly. Vera came out of that looking bad

Sorry Dragan :D

Arlovski at $750k is far more overpaid, isnt that 8 times his last UFC wage. Affliction need some lessons in negotiation.

Also never apoligise to Dragan, he is a mod and deserves nothing but your contempt...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    Tim Sylvia: $800,000
    Andrei Arlovski: $750,000 (includes $250,000 win bonus)
    Ben Rothell: $250,000
    Josh Barnett: $300,000 (no win bonus)
    Pedro Rizzo: $70,000

Anderson Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus issued)

Whow, Affliction are taking a huge gamble by trying to force their way into the market like this. Its suicidal business sense. If anything the UFC underpay their fighters but those Alliction purses are ridiculously big.

Anyone know what the story is with the Anthony Johnson Kevin Burns fight? Kevin Burns got a TKO but the reply clearly shows him poking AJ in the eye which causes him to fall over and then get pummeled by KB. Can a referees decision be overturned after the fight in US?

Anyone know what the story is with the Anthony Johnson Kevin Burns fight? Kevin Burns got a TKO but the reply clearly shows him poking AJ in the eye which causes him to fall over and then get pummeled by KB. Can a referees decision be overturned after the fight in US?

In Nevada, where it was, they can overturn the decision. In California they can only change it to a no contest. In this case I'd say they'll change it to a no contest if a complaint is made

fozzy you're a gentleman and a scholar.

Ken Pavia, Johnsons agent said he will launch an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Arlovski at $750k is far more overpaid, isnt that 8 times his last UFC wage. Affliction need some lessons in negotiation.

Also never apoligise to Dragan, he is a mod and deserves nothing but your contempt...........

Is it possible that that was the price Affliction outbid the UFC with in enticing him away? Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Possibly, but I dont think so given what top guys like Anderson are getting paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Bit late, but I watched the entire Affliction show last night
    Pretty impressed with the fights and match ups
    The ring was huge, to me it looked bigger than a pride ring
    As said Fedor, Arlovski and Barnett all really good

Couple of gripes
    The commentary (or lack of it alot of the time) was sh!te that football commentator needs to get the boot
    Big John was ok if he had some decent peop[le with him it would work
    and don't get me started on Trigg never liked him doin pride and my opinion hasn't changed

Good show though hope they can make more but with those purses they might struggle
    Did anyone else feel that the Affliction guys were almost goading the UFC management with the show, it's name, having Big John, constantlly showing Couture etc. It was funny:D

Trigg p1sses me off as a commentator. Seems he feels the need to make the comments relate to himself.

"I trained with Vitor for 4 weeks and he must have caught me with maybe 2 uppercuts and there he is finishing the fight with an uppercut".............I dunno, maybe its innocent but he always seems to be trying to big himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/07/22/report-ufc-and-spike-tv-close-to-deal-for-ufc-89-anderson-silva-could-defend-title/

Report that we could expect a title defence from Anderson Silva in England for UFC 89. Which would be great cos I was planning on goin over!

Only problem is the opponent Patrick Cote. I think that would be just another one down on Andersons record. Would much rather have see Rousamir Phalares step in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/07/22/report-ufc-and-spike-tv-close-to-deal-for-ufc-89-anderson-silva-could-defend-title/

Report that we could expect a title defence from Anderson Silva in England for UFC 89. Which would be great cos I was planning on goin over!

Only problem is the opponent Patrick Cote. I think that would be just another one down on Andersons record. Would much rather have see Rousamir Phalares step in.

Phalares is conceivably future champion material but nowhere near close or deserving of a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I know but the division is pretty worn out and at least the fighting styles might make a good match up rather than throwing Cote in with the wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Afflictions first show is a huge success http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-mmamailbag072208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns.
    The article I have linked states that affliction is on the way to exceeding 100,000 PPV buys. At 40$ a pop that is 4 million dollars, and with a 2.1 million dollar live gate too the show has made more than the big purses it put up for its fighters. It could be here to stay:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

http://www.mmanews.com/other/Aleks-Emelianenko-Removed-Due-To-Positive-Hep-B-Test.html
    Aleksander Emilianenko will probably never fight again after testing positive for Hepatitis B. Thats really unfortunate for him, he could have been a champion. The test is also why his fight was cancelled on Saturday.

Link

Brandon Vera is certainly staying active! well by that i mean fighting a lot, that fight at UFN 14 was hardly "active" :P

I really like Vera so hoping he gets the hang of the cut. This will be a great fight.
    Kicking machines Brandon Vera (9-2) and Keith Jardine (13-4-1) will likely collide in a light heavyweight bout at UFC 89: “Bisping vs. Leben” at The National Indoor Arena (NIA) in Birmingham, England, on October 25, according to CagePotato.com.

It’s a 205-pound match up that pits two of the hardest-hitting strikers in the division up against one another.

Vera was victorious in his light heavyweight debut just this past weekend, defeating Reese Andy via unanimous decision at UFC Fight Night 14: “Silva vs. Irvin. “The Truth” picked up a cool $200,000 for the win and snapped a two-fight losing skid that included defeats at the hands of Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdum, respectively.

Jardine, on the other hand, is out to rebound from a crushing knockout loss to Wanderlei Silva at UFC 84: “Ill Will” back in May. With a win he would have solidified his place a top the short list of division contenders because the “Dean of Mean” also has recent wins over Chuck Liddell and Forrest.

However, he’ll have to work his way back up the ladder — consistency is critical in such a stacked division. And Jardine has lost three of his last six fights.

This is a big fight for Vera and Jardine for different reasons. And we’ll get to see it all play out for free on Spike TV in just a few months.

• Advertisement

Link

Fresh off what many feel to be a major success with its first-ever show on July 19 dubbed, “Banned,” Affliction MMA will go for an encore in the backyard of the promotion that “banned” it in the first place.

Indeed, Affliction has its sights set on Las Vegas, Nevada, on October 11 for its next show, according to Yahoo!Sports.com. And anyone who’s anyone knows that “Sin City” is UFC turf — the organization that forbid its fighters to don the clothing company’s apparel at its events.

But who really cares about that because the same report confirms that former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski will challenge the last man to hold the Pride FC heavyweight strap, Fedor Emelianenko, likely for the Russian’s newly-won heavyweight WAMMA title in the main event of the evening.

It’s a dream match that ost fans have fantasized about for years.

And perhaps the only thing that can top that news is what ace the UFC pulls from its sleeve to once again counter this latest bold move. Perhaps it once again includes UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva.

This is getting good. Real good.

:D:D Well this certainly is gonna be fun!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement