Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mouthwatering stuff

Competition between UFC and Affliction can only be ood for us, the fans. The will each be trying to outdo each other with better matchups and more consistent levels of competition throughout the card.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Mouthwatering stuff

Competition between UFC and Affliction can only be ood for us, the fans. The will each be trying to outdo each other with better matchups and more consistent levels of competition throughout the card.

Exactly. I think PRIDE were the best for that, they'd have a 10 fight card, and the undercard would have top matchups!

Hopefully UFC run another rival show, with UFC, Affliction and DREAM last weekend I'm thoroughly spoiled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Just wondering did anyone see this event, for me the whole lightweight tournament has been amazing , with some cracking fights along the way ,
    really enjoyed the Final in Dream 5 and what a turn of events
    with Joachim Hansen replacing Eddie Alaveraz who was unable to continue due to a pretty bad swollen and black eye and going onto to win and revenge his loss against Shinya Aoiki
    If you have not seen the Hansen v Alvarez fight you are missing what MMA is all about , it has to be one of the best fights I have seen in a long time.

Forget about Affliction, forget about Strike force, Elite Xc, UFC, WEC, TKO, Cage Rage,Bray Seafront, Dream is where its at my friends !!!

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Just wondering did anyone see this event, for me the whole lightweight tournament has been amazing , with some cracking fights along the way ,
    really enjoyed the Final in Dream 5 and what a turn of events
    with Joachim Hansen replacing Eddie Alaveraz who was unable to continue due to a pretty bad swollen and black eye and going onto to win and revenge his loss against Shinya Aoiki
    If you have not seen the Hansen v Alvarez fight you are missing what MMA is all about , it has to be one of the best fights I have seen in a long time.

Forget about Affliction, forget about Strike force, Elite Xc, UFC, WEC, TKO, Cage Rage,Bray Seafront, Dream is where its at my friends !!!

I agree, Hansen v Alvarez has to be a top contender for fight of the year. However, I thought the fights at Affliction were awesome.

I think DREAM needs a bit more depth to its cards, once the tournaments are over it'll be interesting to see where they go from there. i'd love if they got Gomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

DREAM 5 was really good. The two semi-final matches were the best, and Shibata vs Akiyama was great for the crowd reactions

• Advertisement

More MMA this weekend! It's EXC's second show on CBS on Saturday. As far as I can tell, this show hasn't got as much publicity as their first show. Kimbo can be thanked a great deal for the first show I think. They said that they'll have a much better produced show this time, as I think that there was less than three minutes of fighting in the first 70 minutes of their first CBS show

The card is:

On CBS:
    -Robbie Lawler (c) vs. Scott Smith (for EXC middleweight title)
    -Jake Shields vs. Nick Thompson (for vacant EXC welterweight title)
    -Nick Diaz vs. Thomas Denny
    -Shayna Baszler vs. Cristiane Santos (Cyborg's wife)
    -David Douglas and Marlon Mathias (swing bout)

On Showtime:
    -Antonio Silva vs. Justin Eilers (for vacant EXC heavyweight title)
    -Wilson Reis vs. Brian Caraway
    -Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Travis Galbraith

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Anthony Ruiz vs. Jeremy Freitag
    -Mike Cook vs. Carl Seumanutafa
    -Drew Montgomery vs. Brandon Tarn

It's being held in Stockton, Nick Diaz's hometown. Something I find really stupid is that they've said that they won't be showing any footage of the Diaz/Noons incident from their last show. While it's not something that I think they should have allowed to happen, they might as well make the most of it. Footage like that would do wonders in promoting that fight and I really think that they should show it

This looks like a better card than the last CBS show, I'm looking forward to Shields/Thompson the most. Hopefully Lawler/Smith can pick up from where they left off

In other EXC news, Cung Le won't be fighting until 2009 as he's filming a movie and wants to have enough time to train. That potentially leaves Frank Shamrock with a fight before a rematch with Le. They'll probably try to get Frank on their CBS show in November if he's ready as he'd really help with the promotion of that. And the word is that he'd be looking to face the winner of Lawler vs Smith

Also, EXC are supposedly trying to use the rest of this year to build up some fighters so that they can do a PPV in early 2009. If they do it right then they could do very very well with that PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote: »
    Akiyama was great for the crowd reactions

Pro-wrestlers dream for the level of heat he gets!

Pro-wrestlers dream for the level of heat he gets!

It was the match that the most people watched as well, a tried and tested formula that works every time!

And speaking of pro wrestling, Tank Abbott and Bas Rutten are making their wrestling returns on an IGF show in Japan on August 15th. There's been a good few current MMA fighters working IGF shows in the past year, like Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Brock Lesnar, Josh Barnett, Erik Paulson, Naoya Ogawa, Don Frye, Kiyoshi Tamura and Jan Nortje. I think I remembered them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

vasch_ro wrote: »

ha I don't know bray seafront is hard to top. Joachim Hansen always has really entertaining fights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ah bummer about cung le not fighting till 2009, he's one of the most exciting fighters to watch in recent times. Would love to see him in action with some A+ opposition an a match that went a couple of rounds.

Also on the Dream 5 show last week end all i can say is wow, ah few boring fights on the card but over all the standard was up there with the best of them. And I agree we truly are getting spoiled for action these days , long may it continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I agree, Hansen v Alvarez has to be a top contender for fight of the year. However, I thought the fights at Affliction were awesome.

I think DREAM needs a bit more depth to its cards, once the tournaments are over it'll be interesting to see where they go from there. i'd love if they got Gomi.
    response to your post pre edit, I hurt my back during one of the warm ups a couple of weeks back, hence the layoff
    and valmont have to agree , I have always been a Hellboy fan and even more so now, have you ever seen him try that elevator sweep into arm bar sweet!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭takeda shingen

Heath Herring is 15-8 against Brock Lesnar on paddypower.com for ufc 87 What does anyone think his chances are? Lesnar is 4-11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Heath Herring is 15-8 against Brock Lesnar on paddypower.com for ufc 87 What does anyone think his chances are? Lesnar is 4-11

Heath should be 1-10. Those are great odds cause Heath is definitely going to win.

Heath should be 1-10. Those are great odds cause Heath is definitely going to win.

We'll see :pac:

I think Brock's going to just destroy him

I'm just watching the EXC show from last night, it's very professional looking. Sure beats Affliction there. Scott Smith was shown wearing an Affliction t-shirt, I wonder if words will be said to him

Baszler vs Santos
    Santos was very impressive standing. Baszler's strength is on the ground and she basically got picked apart when she couldn't get it to the ground in the second round. Something happened that I don't remember seeing before, Santos knocked Baszler to the ground, but she wasn't knocked out. Santos thought she'd won and went across the cage to jump up on the fence. Mazzagatti spent about 20 seconds telling her to keep fighting before she realised that it wasn't over. Really, Baszler was done and it would have been over right there if Santos had just stayed on her on the ground

They're talking about Gina Carano vs Cristiane Santos now, I think Santos would take that

Shields vs Thompson
    This wasn't as good as I was hoping because it was over pretty quick. Guillotine by Shields. He talked afterwards about wanting to fight the winner of GSP and Fitch to "unify the titles". They need to stop talking about the UFC and concentrate on their own guys

There's so many empty seats

Diaz vs Denny was a fun fight.
    I didn't give Denny a chance beforehand, but he looked confident when he came out and I felt he'd at least give Diaz some trouble. He did, but in the end Diaz was just too good with his punches. Denny gave it his all though

I think I'd better get some sleep, Lawler and Smith can wait for tomorrow!

I'll edit this post if there's anything else worth talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fozzy wrote: »
    We'll see :pac:

I think Brock's going to just destroy him

You would say that being a Pro Wrestling fan:). Heath by KO or sub IMO. But I do see Brock has the potential to be a beast someday, he just needs more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Cyborgette is extremely strong and powerful. I think she could give Gina a real go for her money if they fought at 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I'll take some of that Mr. Power :D

Thing about Brock Lesnar vs Heath Herring is I keep thinkin back to what Jake O'Brien did to him and tbh I think Brock is gonna annihalate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Thing about Brock Lesnar vs Heath Herring is I keep thinkin back to what Jake O'Brien did to him and tbh I think Brock is gonna annihalate him.

Herrings camp are making a lot of noise about Heath being in the best shape of his life. He is apparently a lot leaner than in the past and his conditioning is supposed to be very good. I've yet to see how Brock conditioning holds up under a long MMA fight.

Personally i can see reasons for both fighters to win but i think Brock is taking this.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    Herrings camp are making a lot of noise about Heath being in the best shape of his life. He is apparently a lot leaner than in the past and his conditioning is supposed to be very good. I've yet to see how Brock conditioning holds up under a long MMA fight.

Personally i can see reasons for both fighters to win but i think Brock is taking this.

Thing about it is that Jake O'Brien took Heath down at will with ease. Brock is bigger, stronger and a better wrestler than O'Brien.

However Heath is one of those guys where we're always waiting for that big career defining performance.

Should be good either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Thing about it is that Jake O'Brien took Heath down at will with ease. Brock is bigger, stronger and a better wrestler than O'Brien.

However Heath is one of those guys where we're always waiting for that big career defining performance.

Should be good either way.

So Brock can score the take downs. Doesn't mean he can keep him down, or not get caught in something just like against Mir.

You need more than positioning as you well know. That said, i still reckon Brock takes it, but it won't be easy for him.

Dragan wrote: »
    So Brock can score the take downs. Doesn't mean he can keep him down, or not get caught in something just like against Mir.

You need more than positioning as you well know. That said, i still reckon Brock takes it, but it won't be easy for him.

I'm well aware you need more than positioning! :) But sometimes especially in UFC positioning alone wins fights, the man who is able to get and keep top position usually wins. Especially at HW.

I was thinkin Heath was gonna win up until recently. i rewatched the OBrien fight. I know he had an injured knee but he got dominated by a guy who's basically and old school wrestler with a bit of crosstraining. Have you seen the O'Brien Herring fight? Thats my blueprint of how Herring goes against a strong wrestler. He's never shown me anything in all of his fights off his back against someone with really good base. Thats been his problem. His scramblefest with Kongo was great but Kongo doesnt have great base. And Brock is a much stronger wrestler with much better credentials than Jake. I think Brock will take him down whenever he wants and I don't think he;ll have too much trouble keeping him down or just taking him back down. Heath offered absolutely NOTHING off his back; so even if Brocks sub defence is rubbish when your opponent offers nothing then that doesnt matter. Im sure training with BJ Penn has given him a good few tricks as it would but I don't see Herring offering the same threat Mir did. Herrings best chance is on his feet for the first 10 seconds of each round IMO. Its mad to say it as Herring is a vetern and Brock is so green butI just don't think Brock is a good match up for Heath.

I don't think it will be easy but I wouldnt be at all suprised if Brock wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Didn't see Herring vs O'Biren but I remember Herring V Kongo. Neither of them had anything to offer on the ground. It was actually frustrating to watch.

No question herring has to be the better striker, but will he be given a chance to land something and if he does will it be enough to stop Lesnar??? Heath does look in good shape lately.

Lesnar should have no problem getting Heath to the ground. What he can do from there (Batter the friggin head off a heath? well yes possibly) remains to be seen, at least in UFC.

If I had to call it I'd go with Lesnar. Plus if Lesnar did win it could be the start of a great series of fights.....

Didn't see Herring vs O'Biren but I remember Herring V Kongo. Neither of them had anything to offer on the ground. It was actually frustrating to watch

The main thing I remember from that fight was Heath complaining afterwards that he had trained for a stand up fight and he was pissed off that it was on the ground so much. But...Heath was on top for most of the fight, in side control and all, if he wanted a stand up fight he could have simply stood up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭takeda shingen

had a look at the card again. if you bet 10€ on an accumulator on the following to win:
    Herring (15/8)
    Manny Gamburian(1/3)
    Roger Huerta (11/10)
    and George St Pierre (2/7) you get a possible return of €103.50
    Dont know a damn thing about Huerta though. Have some vague memory that he was in some very bloody fight. Anyway most of you guys are going with Lesnar but i think that accumulator is worth a tenners fun

Dont know a damn thing about Huerta though. Have some vague memory that he was in some very bloody fight.

He had a really good fight with Leonard Garcia last year that made people take notice of him. A photo of him in that fight made him the first MMA fighter to be featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He had another really good fight with Clay Guida late last year. The UFC are pushing him as their top guy for the Mexican audience

I don't know the odds, but I'd say Florian is the favourite. At the moment I'm siding with Huerta though

I don't know what to think about the Florian Huerta fight tbh. Florian is on paper the better fighter and he's good at bastarding his way to wins through cuts either directly or indirectly. His opponents change their style because his elbows are well known for causing cuts.

Huerta seems to up his game everytime he fights, anytime he;s been written off he;s come back. He;s a tough mofo and IMo his weakness is the big wrestlers type of guy that he;s struggled against in the past. Florian isn't that big wrestler type but he is a crafty fiighter. I find it really hard to call that one. Certainly wont b betting on it unless the odds are big.

Lawler vs Smith
    Wasn't as good as the last fight was turning out to be. It showed flashes of excitement but in the end it wasn't great. Lawler finishing it with knees to the body

• Advertisement

EXC only got half the amount of viewers for their second CBS show as they did for their first. It's clear that the people came for Kimbo on that first show, so I think they'll be safe as long as Kimbo makes it to their October CBS show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement