Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Fozzy wrote: »
    Lawler vs Smith
    Wasn't as good as the last fight was turning out to be. It showed flashes of excitement but in the end it wasn't great. Lawler finishing it with knees to the body

Smith
    broke his hand in the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

It's clear that the people came for Kimbo on that first show, so I think they'll be safe as long as Kimbo makes it to their October CBS show

Gina Carano is also a major star for them

Kimbo has to be on the show, but he also has to win too

GSP vs BJ Penn December 27th

dunkamania wrote: »

Have u a source? Does it depend on GSP beating Fitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Big fight. It will do big numbers for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Surely BJ is moving up rather than GSP moving down?

fatal wrote: »
    Surely BJ is moving up rather than GSP moving down?

GSP couldn't make 155 if his life depended on it. He's too big and lean at 170...he has no extra bodyfat to lose and you know his weight cutting it top notch.

I actually don't see GSP being able to stay at 170 his whole career. Eventually the cut will be too much and he'll go to 185.

Dragan wrote: »
    GSP couldn't make 155 if his life depended on it. He's too big and lean at 170...he has no extra bodyfat to lose and you know his weight cutting it top notch.

I actually don't see GSP being able to stay at 170 his whole career. Eventually the cut will be too much and he'll go to 185.

Indeed. I just hope BJ doesnt sacrifice his cardio to come in near 170lbs.

Huerta said yesterday that he;ll eventually be moving to 170 as his weight and mass increases. I read before that GSP's biggest problem is keeping the weight off. I stood about 2 feet away from him in London and he's huge for his height.

Huerta said yesterday that he;ll eventually be moving to 170 as his weight and mass increases. I read before that GSP's biggest problem is keeping the weight off. I stood about 2 feet away from him in London and he's huge for his height.

GSP does all his strength and conditioning work with two coachs called Chad Waterbury and Christian Tibedeau. These guys are the brains behind his workouts outside of skillset stuff basically.

Both have gone on record as saying that GSP is a freakish athlete and they find it really hard to keep his bodyweight within cutting distance of 170 because he puts on muscle like normal people put on t-shirts.

GSP freaks me out to be honest.

Dragan wrote: »
    GSP does all his strength and conditioning work with two coachs called Chad Waterbury and Christian Tibedeau. These guys are the brains behind his workouts outside of skillset stuff basically.

Both have gone on record as saying that GSP is a freakish athlete and they find it really hard to keep his bodyweight within cutting distance of 170 because he puts on muscle like normal people put on t-shirts.

GSP freaks me out to be honest.

Ever seen the pics of him training cardio up in Greg Jacskons? He;s a few weeks off the fight and he is chunky as hell. Dunno how he loses it again. I've watched some of his workout vids and he is indeed a freak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It's a big fight. Traditionally though, they seem to be put on their biggest money fight they can make on that card in Las Vegas and assuming Lidell was to beat Evans, I think Forrest/Lidell is the biggest fight money wise that the UFC could put on now.

The could do GSP/Penn as well on the card. To me though, I think it wouldn't be necessary for them as Lidell/Forrest would do great business alone.

Plus they could save Penn/GSP for an event further down the line which would do great business and maybe do a stadium show from Hawai like they have been talking about.

There's a few fences (John Fitch and Rashad) to cross before all this can really be discussed yet.

Its only a matter of time before GSP moves to MW, he has said it himself, at some point he wont be able to make fighting shape at 170.

Source below, unofficial so far.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/07/25/5-oz-exclusive-bj-penn-expected-to-fight-georges-st-pierre-on-dec-27/

Fitch could potentialy throw a spanner in the works but I dont see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think that eventually we're going to get GSP vs BJ at 205! If they both keep doing what they're doing they might just keep moving up!

I wouldn't be surprised if they put Forrest/Chuck on the same card. It's known that they want the year-end show to be their biggest and putting two fights like that on it would definitely put it ahead of any other card they could do

I think that eventually we're going to get GSP vs BJ at 205! If they both keep doing what they're doing they might just keep moving up!

I wouldn't be surprised if they put Forrest/Chuck on the same card. It's known that they want the year-end show to be their biggest and putting two fights like that on it would definitely put it ahead of any other card they could do

Yea but if Mir-Nog goes ahead on that card as planned then that would be 3 title fights on one card, don't see it happening myself.

Also, Chuck has to beat Rashad first!

Yea but if Mir-Nog goes ahead on that card as planned then that would be 3 title fights on one card, don't see it happening myself.

GSP vs BJ won't be a title fight. That's something I just can't see happening. It would end up hurting one of the divisions

GSP vs BJ won't be a title fight. That's something I just can't see happening. It would end up hurting one of the divisions

Well in that case it'd make sense but I could see BJ pushing to want to be the WW Champ again!

James Irvin tested positive for methadone and oxymorphone after his fight with Anderson Silva: http://mmajunkie.com/news/4923/nsac-ufcs-james-irvin-tests-positive-for-methadone-and-oxymorphone.mma

I could've sworn that I read a headline earlier saying that they all passed their tests on that UFC show. Those drugs are painkillers. Pretty heavy ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Does it not have the potential to hurt one of the divisions either way?

I mean say it's not a title fight and Penn beats GSP. To me that takes a way alot of drawing power that GSP has for his next title defense.

James Irvin tested positive for methadone and oxymorphone after his fight with Anderson Silva: http://mmajunkie.com/news/4923/nsac-ufcs-james-irvin-tests-positive-for-methadone-and-oxymorphone.mma

I could've sworn that I read a headline earlier saying that they all passed their tests on that UFC show. Those drugs are painkillers. Pretty heavy ones too

You would have sworn correctly as I read the same report. here it is:

Link

And Irvin is mentioned in that report as one of the guys who passed too.......

Methadone.....odd one.

Does it not have the potential to hurt one of the divisions either way?

I mean say it's not a title fight and Penn beats GSP. To me that takes a way alot of drawing power that GSP has for his next title defense.

It does, but I think they'll be building up BJ so that it doesn't hurt too much in that respect. If GSP wins they can just say that perhaps they're evenly talented, but GSP is the better suited of the two to be fighting at 170. If BJ wins they can talk about how he's bigger than the lightweight division and really belongs at 170. If BJ wins I'm sure he'll end up with a title match in 2009 anyway and that will restore any damage done to the welterweight division in this fight

The thing is, I think some damage is going to be done to the divisions anyway. BJ wants to move up. GSP wants to move up. When they eventually leave their current divisions behind it will make the contenders look weak, at least until they have some good title matches. But I think the most damage would be done if BJ were to beat GSP for the title if he were still the lightweight champ. BJ would still be a 155lber to the fans and that's who would be beating GSP. If BJ actually moves up to 170 permanently then maybe a title fight could be justified

• Advertisement

You would have sworn correctly as I read the same report. here it is:

Link

And Irvin is mentioned in that report as one of the guys who passed too.......

Methadone.....odd one.

I looked back at the headline that I read, MMAJunkie put in a note saying that their initial report was wrong, they said earlier that all fighters had passed for steroids, stimulants and drugs of abuse. Your link was the correct report, that they had all passed for steroids. The different results come back at different times, it seems to be the steroid tests that get released first

It does, but I think they'll be building up BJ so that it doesn't hurt too much in that respect. If GSP wins they can just say that perhaps they're evenly talented, but GSP is the better suited of the two to be fighting at 170. If BJ wins they can talk about how he's bigger than the lightweight division and really belongs at 170. If BJ wins I'm sure he'll end up with a title match in 2009 anyway and that will restore any damage done to the welterweight division in this fight

The thing is, I think some damage is going to be done to the divisions anyway. BJ wants to move up. GSP wants to move up. When they eventually leave their current divisions behind it will make the contenders look weak, at least until they have some good title matches. But I think the most damage would be done if BJ were to beat GSP for the title if he were still the lightweight champ. BJ would still be a 155lber to the fans and that's who would be beating GSP. If BJ actually moves up to 170 permanently then maybe a title fight could be justified

I dont view BJ as anything to be honest. Most fighters you look at them and say "oh he;s aa LHW" etc but seeing BJ get in there and get into it with Machida and hold his own convinved me long ago that BJ could give anyone a good fight!

That said, his bodytype is definitely that of a LW. He;s no natural WW, he doesnt cut and even at WW looks a bit tubby. i wonder with his new training regimen would he make 170 without ballooning.

Woah. Another drug failure. Affliction this time, Justin Levens positive for Oxymorphone. He was almost 85 times over the limit: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6204/105/

85 times! WTF are these guys thinking! they have to know theyre gonna fail these tests.... :rolleyes:

Levens didn't even fight either, they didn't have time for his fight. He's already been given a six month suspension

Levens didn't even fight either, they didn't have time for his fight. He's already been given a six month suspension

Yea i remember that. He thought he was fighting up until that night tho didnt he so he'd have had to be tested anyway. He must feel great right about now, suspended and he didnt even get to fight.

List of medical suspensions from Affliction

Fedor is out for 180 days unless he receives clearance so there goes his October fight.

List of medical suspensions from Affliction

Fedor is out for 180 days unless he receives clearance so there goes his October fight.

Fighters always get early clearance. Fedor dislocated his thumb, didn't he? That won't keep him out that long, he's probably back training already

Shogun v Coleman in December?

A rematch I'd like to see just to show that Coleman has nothing for Shogun.

And yea I know he'll likely get clearance but it does provide a stumbling block, albeit a small one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Wahey shogun finally returns! I hope that fight goes ahead.
    Tough fight for shogun to start back after a long lay off and a big loss. Hopefully, an even tougher fight for coleman!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement