Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I dont know about that. Theyre both way past their best but I wouldnt write Frank off in that fight.

And Dragan, Frank said in an interview recently that he expects 3 of his next 4 fights to be against Tito, Ken adn a rematch with Cung Le.

Nice, cheers for that.

Dragan wrote: »
    Nice, cheers for that.

Well thats what Frank said, but in fairness, what frank says and what happens arent always the same thing!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Frank is a savvy buisnessman, to a point, and will follow the money, and will do what he has to do to sell a fight.

While Frank may say that he wants to keep the fights standing cos its more exciting, or to beat guys at their own game, there is a lot of speculation that his knees are completely shot and he cant wrestle no more, hence my Tito win prediction.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Frank is a savvy buisnessman, to a point, and will follow the money, and will do what he has to do to sell a fight.

While Frank may say that he wants to keep the fights standing cos its more exciting, or to beat guys at their own game, there is a lot of speculation that his knees are completely shot and he cant wrestle no more, hence my Tito win prediction.

I think its there for all to see that his knees are gone.... the Baroni, Renzo and Cung Le fights showed that. Thing is he didnt beat Tito by wrestling him last time. He kept his guard very very busy and took hardly any damage from Titos ground and pound attack all the while landing shots off the bottom and tiring Tito out. That said, it depends on time limits also. Could kinda go wither way really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dragan wrote: »
    Do you really think Shamrock would take that fight? He seems to be picking his opponents really carefully lately.

I loved his quote about not fighting to win, but fighting to entertain after he lost his last go around.

In fairness, he was saying that before that fight too. Everything about his attitude suggests that that's what he believes in. He wouldn't be getting paid more than 95%+ of the UFC roster if he wasn't entertaining

• Advertisement

This week's Wrestling Observer says that Frank and Tito have been discussing a fight between themselves. Meltzer is good friends with Frank, his dog used to always attack him :pac:

Some other notes from it...

Huerta is looking for six figures per fight as well as a percentage of PPV revenue, which is more than BJ gets. So the UFC aren't prepared to offer him a contract that big. He's just got one more fight after Florian, which should be against BJ. If he doesn't sign a new contract he won't be getting a title fight though

There's no plans for Shogun vs Coleman

Fozzy wrote: »
    This week's Wrestling Observer says that Frank and Tito have been discussing a fight between themselves. Meltzer is good friends with Frank, his dog used to always attack him :pac:

Some other notes from it...

Huerta is looking for six figures per fight as well as a percentage of PPV revenue, which is more than BJ gets. So the UFC aren't prepared to offer him a contract that big. He's just got one more fight after Florian, which should be against BJ. If he doesn't sign a new contract he won't be getting a title fight though

There's no plans for Shogun vs Coleman

I think he'd be more likely to get canned and sit idle a la Brandon Vera than get a shot at BJ tbh.

I think he'd be more likely to get canned and sit idle a la Brandon Vera than get a shot at BJ tbh.

I think he'd just end up signing a contract for what he's worth and get the title fight, if he beats Florian. I'm going with Florian for that fight now

The Countdown special for this PPV is meant to be real good. Apparently Fitch is made to look really good in it. They always make those shows to give you the impression that the underdog will win, but Fitch's story is meant to be a sort of "star in the making" story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

i cant wait for saturday nights fight...getting a few buddies around to watch it in my gaff and we'll prob watch the repeats all the next day too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 numerocinco

Does anybody know what time the repeat is on Sunday on Setanta, I cant access here in work, hopefully not 12.30 am on Sunday into Monday:mad:

• Advertisement

Huerta is playing a dangerous game and risks burning bridges with the biggest game in town.

For heavier weight categories the risk that Affliction might collapse is offset by the money they are paying in the meantime. For lighter weight categories, non-Zuffa promotions dont pay much more than Huerta is probably been offered by the UFC. Huerta doesnt have the ratings drawing power of other fighters that have left the UFC. He is young,25, and may be listening to the wrong buisiness advisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Huerta is playing a dangerous game and risks burning bridges with the biggest game in town.

For heavier weight categories the risk that Affliction might collapse is offset by the money they are paying in the meantime. For lighter weight categories, non-Zuffa promotions dont pay much more than Huerta is probably been offered by the UFC. Huerta doesnt have the ratings drawing power of other fighters that have left the UFC. He is young,25, and may be listening to the wrong buisiness advisers.

Agree, with all due respect to Huerta and his camp he is an exciting fighter, but he is not a champ yet, and in my opinion with BJ at the top of his division Roger won't be champ for a while.

Florian stopping him ( as i think he will ) will be a wake up call to Roger than hype does not equte to getting paid. He should like at guys like Guida who have suffered losses yes, but keep the head down, work hard and make it exciting and get rewarded as a result.

I think someone got to Roger who see's a cash cow in him, he has always seemed pretty respectful up to now, but the ego is growing and describing a fight against someone who improves like Kenny has done as a "cake walk" is foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Does anybody know what time the repeat is on Sunday on Setanta, I cant access here in work, hopefully not 12.30 am on Sunday into Monday

Repeat is Sunday night at the eariler time of 8pm....thankfully!!

The UFC are also disappointed that the effort that they put into building Huerta as a star hasn't worked as well as they'd like, so at this point I think that he needs them more than they need him. Although this Countdown show is also supposed to build Huerta up pretty well

I hadn't thought about it until now, but the Huerta/Florian fight is between the two biggest pushed guys on the UFC's Mexican tv show. The two of them have been positioned as the biggest Hispanic stars (Florian's parents are from Peru), as well as Diego Sanchez. Whoever wins would be doing themselves a huge favour if the UFC ever really capitalises on the Hispanic audience like boxing has

DREAM announced their middleweight tournament semi-finals today. It's Jacare vs Galesic and Mousasi vs Manhoef

I'm thinking that it'll be a Jacare vs Mousasi final, hopefully with Mousasi winning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fozzy wrote: »
    DREAM announced their middleweight tournament semi-finals today. It's Jacare vs Galesic and Mousasi vs Manhoef

I'm thinking that it'll be a Jacare vs Mousasi final, hopefully with Mousasi winning

Whoever wins from the second semi-final should win it. Dont discount Manhoef's crazy striking, he will have at least one shot to land the KO.

The UFC are a long way from cracking the Hispanic audience in any meaningful way. It will take someone with more appeal than Huerta or Florian. I think Huerta doesnt even speak spanish.(not positive). The pay rise Huerta is looking for, would make him better paid than BJ, who is in my mind the top
    p4p fighter in the world :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Watched the countdown to UFC 87 show last night
    It was pretty good, really built up Fitch as the all american hero and told the amazing story that is Huertas life, it could and probably will be a film at some stage.
    I am really looking forward to it now as I think in GSP vs Fitch and Florian vs Huerta it could be possible to have 2 fights of the year on the 1 card

Predictions people ?

I reckon the 3 main bouts will be
    GSP : decision (GSP is better all round imo but Fitch is a tank and will go the distance)
    Florian : TKO rd3 (those elbows)
    Lesnar: GNP rd 2 (basing this on nothing really just a gut feeling)

The UFC are a long way from cracking the Hispanic audience in any meaningful way. It will take someone with more appeal than Huerta or Florian. I think Huerta doesnt even speak spanish.(not positive). The pay rise Huerta is looking for, would make him better paid than BJ, who is in my mind the top
    p4p fighter in the world :eek:

I think they need an Eddie Guerrero type badass to garner the hispanic market:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Watched the countdown to UFC 87 show last night
    It was pretty good,

I think you're doing it a diservice. The piece on Huerta was a star making one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    GSP : decision (GSP is better all round imo but Fitch is a tank and will go the distance)
    Florian : TKO rd3 (those elbows)
    Lesnar: GNP rd 2 (basing this on nothing really just a gut feeling)
    Hmmm, agree on all the winners. I actually put money on Fitch just because the odds were so good, but having seen St.Pierre at the press conference I think that might be money lost.
    I think Florian will sub Huerta in rd2 - he made alot of mistakes against Clay Guida and Flo has much tighter jiu jitsu than Guida.

Im goin with GSP, Florian, Lesnar, Manny and Maia on the main card.

Fitch will be a really tough fight for GSP IMo but I dont see Fitch beating him. That said Fitch is on a 6 year unbeaten streak! Impressive!

Lesnar beats Herring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

In work all night so got to watch the whole thing without a single page :) I'll just give a quick rundown until I see it in better quality picture tomorrow.

Firstly I think it was one of the best events in a long while, the fights were excellent.

Was very impressed with Demian, exciting fight, and he deserved the win, plus I hate macdonald after meeting him at a UFC event last year and he was telling fans to piss off cos he had a sore knee. Looking forward to seeing Maia again.

WTF was Rob Emerson & Gamburyan doing on the Main card, what a joke. At least they provided a KO. It only lasted 12 seconds.

Huerta bottled it, after mouthing about wanting more money and how hes a superstar, he could have at least backed it up. Florian should have finished him off. So Sherk to beat florian to a pulp with his drug riddled arms next? ;)

Lesner is a monster, I just can't believe how fast he moves for such a huge guy. Fair play to herring, I wouldn't like to take them 4XL fists to the head!

GSP did well, he should have finished him on a few occasions, so imo it wasn't a "perfect" night for him. BJ and him next, BJ was looking a bit chubby there, he sure does cut a lot of weight for LW. Still think GSP will do BJ though, based on BJ's past fights when he was looking heavy.

Anyway enjoyed it, back to work so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

t-ha wrote: »
    Hmmm, agree on all the winners. I actually put money on Fitch just because the odds were so good, but having seen St.Pierre at the press conference I think that might be money lost.
    I think Florian will sub Huerta in rd2 - he made alot of mistakes against Clay Guida and Flo has much tighter jiu jitsu than Guida.
    Well, GSP took it comfortably, but man, Fitch is TOUGH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

UFC was One of the best for a while.
    Lesner totally dominated, you can only marvel at the speed and power of the guy , I really didnt like the way he was pusing Hearing in the back at the end of the rounds, showed a bit of immaturity and lack of respect for his oponent i think

Just on a quick study break, one quick point
    Lesnar did almost exactly what Jake O'Brien did to Herring. So Ill reserve judgement on getting too carried away with Brocvks performance just yet. I still think he has a lot of holes in his game that better fighters would exploit. That said, fair play to him for his performance, shame on him for bein a complete b0ll0x at the end. Doing the "rodeo" in backmount on an opponent is horrendously disrespectful. Standing up after and pointing and laughing is equally as childinsh and classless. I thought Brock was classy after the Mir fight, very very classless last night.

GSP is awesome. He made Fitch look crap most of the fight, and Fitch is far far from crap. I think him and BJ will be great, I do not for one second think he'll dominate BJ like that though.

Huerta v Florian went as a feared it would. i dunno why but Ken-Flo rubs me the wrong way. He did an awesome job of preety much running backward landin nice jabs and kicks and not engaging in a brawl with the brawler. Smart fight. But BJ Penn is a few levels up tbh.

Maia v McDonald was for me the most enjoyable fight. Loved it. What top level Jits is all about. Great stuff. Maia needs to work more on his striking and perhaps his wrestling but on the floor he's a nightmare for any 185'er.

Lesnar did almost exactly what Jake O'Brien did to Herring. So Ill reserve judgement on getting too carried away with Brocvks performance just yet. I still think he has a lot of holes in his game that better fighters would exploit. That said, fair play to him for his performance, shame on him for bein a complete b0ll0x at the end. Doing the "rodeo" in backmount on an opponent is horrendously disrespectful. Standing up after and pointing and laughing is equally as childinsh and classless. I thought Brock was classy after the Mir fight, very very classless last night.

Hey, Heath's corner started it! Nobody from Mir's camp bothered him. For five years his job was to get people to react to him, and he still knows how to do it. Great job by him, he was playing it safe at times which was probably smart, as if he got caught in something again by playing it risky it'd really hurt his reputation

I'm not usually a MacDonald fan but I found myself cheering him on. That was a great fight

The start of the third round of Huerta/Florian was brilliant. I would have liked to see a finish in that fight but Huerta's pretty tough. Not a top fighter but very tough

GSP was just dominating. I was hoping that Fitch would pull something out but it wasn't to be. I still think BJ will knock St-Pierre out though

EDIT: Just read this on the Wrestling Observer site:
    Is it funny or what to see a subtle heel move by Brock Lesnar last night and people reacting to it like they are pro wrestling fans in 1975

:) It's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

brock lesnar may have won impressively yesterday, but his whole celebration was extremely disrespectfull, especially considering how humble herring is in and out of the octagon.:(

if this guy thinks he can be champ some day, he may start acting like one:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

calex71 wrote: »
    UFC was One of the best for a while.

Have to agree:
    GSP fight was very good, but considering the size difference, GSP was huge compared to fitch and GSP still couldn't finish him even when he had him mounted. Looking forward to GSP Vs BJ.
    Brock was just too big for Herring, what was the actual weight differenct there? Probably more than 30 Lbs I'd guess. Poor show from Brock when he won.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement