Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

da-bres wrote: »
    brock lesnar may have won impressively yesterday, but his whole celebration was extremely disrespectfull, especially considering how humble herring is in and out of the octagon.:(

if this guy thinks he can be champ some day, he may start acting like one:cool:

Ah, come on, was it seriously worse than when Couture spanked Tito? Or any of Tito's celebrations or post-fight t-shirts? Or BJ pushing the doctors off Sherk to lick his blood?

People from Herring's corner gave Brock **** before the fight, he gave **** back. Herring said that Brock doesn't belong in the UFC, it wasn't like it was just unprovoked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

brock lesnar may have won impressively yesterday, but his whole celebration was extremely disrespectfull, especially considering how humble herring is in and out of the octagon.:(

if this guy thinks he can be champ some day, he may start acting like one:cool:

Maybe he is going to be a 'heel' for a while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It was a clever enough move. Tito made a good career ( possible a better one than just relying on his fighting ability ) by being mouthy and disrespective.

The majority of people seem to have decided they simply won't like Brock because he got an easy route into the UFC.

Might as well run with it and have people tuning in to see him lose. Since losing Tito a big draw has been lost....Brock is in a position to replace that draw given his household name status and larger than average profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Dragan wrote: »
    The majority of people seem to have decided they simply won't like Brock because he got an easy route into the UFC.

True, but he's not the first to have gotten an easy route into the UFC, look at Sean Gannon, he beat Kimbo Slice and got to fight in UFC - no real professional record.
    Or Bob Sapp in Pride / K1.
    Looks like people are going to have to accept him now...

Fozzy wrote: »
    Hey, Heath's corner started it! Nobody from Mir's camp bothered him. For five years his job was to get people to react to him, and he still knows how to do it. Great job by him, he was playing it safe at times which was probably smart, as if he got caught in something again by playing it risky it'd really hurt his reputation

He should be the bigger man. He just came across as a dick. At least if he finished the fight but he didnt even do that, he got a dominating decision but its not like he put Heath asleep or tapped him, he threw him around and busted up his face a bit....woohoo! Still have to be convinced about Brock, i dont think he'd last long with werdum, Mir or Nog but other than that the UFCs HWs probably will be destroyed by him. Look at all the sh1t Tito talked about Chuck and Chuck didnt do any dances or wear and t-shirts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/10/brock-lesnar-natural-born-heel/

The link contains gif's to Brock's shenannigans

I am torn on the Brock Lesnar heel thing, on the one hand it will sell PPV's, on the otherhand I strongly dislike disrespect being shown to an opponent. Much better performance from Brock, those knees from turtle were brutal.

Damian Maia was very impressive, but I think he will have to make the cut to welterweight.

I bet Huerta wished he had signed whatever Zuffa were offering him before the fight. As expected, Florian fought the fight he needed to win.

MAnny will probably end up in the WEC soon.

Impressive from GSP, complete domination, but he should have finished at numerous points

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

I can see why Brock did that though. He beat a bloke who ran his mouth about how he was reduced to fighting brock, so you can see why Brock would want to do that.

He was gracious and respectful in the fight against Mir cause that's how Mir was to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Brock was just too big for Herring, what was the actual weight differenct there? Probably more than 30 Lbs I'd guess. Poor show from Brock when he won.

Joe Rogan was saying that Brock was 280 going into that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

He should be the bigger man. He just came across as a dick. At least if he finished the fight but he didnt even do that, he got a dominating decision but its not like he put Heath asleep or tapped him, he threw him around and busted up his face a bit....woohoo! Still have to be convinced about Brock, i dont think he'd last long with werdum, Mir or Nog but other than that the UFCs HWs probably will be destroyed by him. Look at all the sh1t Tito talked about Chuck and Chuck didnt do any dances or wear and t-shirts etc.

Agreed
    Glorified lay n pray, werdum would humble him.

Glorified lay n pray, werdum would humble him.

Like I said in this post: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56700890, we'll see :pac:

• Advertisement

Like I said in this post: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56700890, we'll see :pac:

I dont like the told ya so's but I did say the entire time that i thought Brock was gonna do exactly what he did do which was what Jake O'Brien did. And he did. But i'm still unconvinced. And i thought he was well out of order with his antics. Respect is for me, the principle value of any sport.

But i think Nog or Werdum would beat Brock quicker than Mir did as Brock would play right into their hands and take them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

But i think Nog or Werdum would beat Brock quicker than Mir did as Brock would play right into their hands and take them down.

I dunno, i reckon he'd be subbed by the higher level bjj guys at heavyweight, but never underestimate how difficult it is for even the top guys to deal with real raw power.

I mean, bob sapp lasted a long enough time against nog, and nearly had him ko'd at one stage, and i think most would concede that while he's bigger than brock, sapp is an even less accomplished mma guy skills-wise.

BJ GSP is official although no date yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

dunkamania wrote: »

Dave, surely you want me to make a prediction so you can bet for the other guy?

Dec 27th is the most likely and widely reported date.

Dave, surely you want me to make a prediction so you can bet for the other guy?

You better be predicting GSP to win, Colm, or else...........:D

This should be an excellent fight. IMO BJ is the better natural talent but GSP has the greater training spectrum and is that much more of a physical speciment than Penn.

It's going to be great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

You better be predicting GSP to win, Colm, or else...........:D

Yep, that was my prediction.

To all the GSP fans out there, I'm sorry, I can't control my powers.

Thanks Colm I owe you one.

GSP has trouble when aggressive strikers come at him, ie BJ and Matt Serra, however he has improved since the first bout, his wrestling is now phenomenal. BJ is improved also, mainly from a focus and cardio point of view, however he is giving up alot of size and athleticism.
    I give the edge to BJ standing but I worry that GSP can tire BJ out on the ground.

Its gonna be great! :)

Does anyone else get the feeling that BJ can afford to end up on his back but GSP can't, at least with regard to subs?

I think BJ can effectively sub GSP from his back, i am not sure if GSP can do the same to BJ.

I do think the GSP can set a pretty blistering pace though and i doubt that even a cardio improved BJ can hang with it for 25 mins.

Gotta love fights like this.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else get the feeling that BJ can afford to end up on his back but GSP can't, at least with regard to subs?

I think BJ can effectively sub GSP from his back, i am not sure if GSP can do the same to BJ.

I do think the GSP can set a pretty blistering pace though and i doubt that even a cardio improved BJ can hang with it for 25 mins.

If GSP ends up on his back he's in deep sh1t.

If BJ ends up on his back he may get blanketed to a sub. GSP couldnt do anything to him on the ground last time. That said, BJ didnt sub him either...stalemate.

I think BJ will win the stand up forcing GSP to take him down, if BJs in shape he could stop the takedowns so its a really interesting battle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Agree with that, but did you see the stat before the GSP Fitch fight of how long GSP has spent on his back in all his previous fights even Fitch got him on his back but couldn't keep him there long enough to hurt GSP
    Gonna be a great fight, can't wait

oops misread your post, disregard but still an interesting fact

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Agree with that, but did you see the stat before the GSP Fitch fight of how long GSP has spent on his back in all his previous fights even Fitch got him on his back but couldn't keep him there long enough to hurt GSP
    Gonna be a great fight, can't wait

oops misread your post, disregard but still an interesting fact

BJ has a way of controlling his opponents without having to resort to all msucle and power. Just pure skill and leverage. When BJ has u on your back you're staying there usually.

BJ has a way of controlling his opponents without having to resort to all msucle and power. Just pure skill and leverage. When BJ has u on your back you're staying there usually.

He's got a great ability to make you pay for moving on the ground...he'll throw up a sub, connect with a shot, whatever, in situations where other fighters tend to stay inactive.

From what i can see.

I really cannot see GSP beating an on-form BJ. I think BJ's takedown defence is better than GSP's takedowns, and even if GSP outwrestles him and gets a takedown, BJ's going to be very tough to deal with on his back. I think BJ's better on the feet too. Hopefully he puts on a bit of weight so that he's not just outmuscled

Another little note on the Lesnar/Herring fight, the Wrestling Observer reported earlier that Herring's camp completely bought into the Sherdog-type stuff about Brock being a "fake" fighter and some of them told Dana that they felt insulted that Heath had to be in the same cage as Brock. Well, now they know :)

I really cannot see GSP beating an on-form BJ. I think BJ's takedown defence is better than GSP's takedowns, and even if GSP outwrestles him and gets a takedown, BJ's going to be very tough to deal with on his back. I think BJ's better on the feet too. Hopefully he puts on a bit of weight so that he's not just outmuscled

Another little note on the Lesnar/Herring fight, the Wrestling Observer reported earlier that Herring's camp completely bought into the Sherdog-type stuff about Brock being a "fake" fighter and some of them told Dana that they felt insulted that Heath had to be in the same cage as Brock. Well, now they know :)

Agree about BJ. He has a full time diet and nutrition coach as well as strength and conditioning coaches who im sure will want to make him a strong, lean and fast 170.

As for Herrings corner, I have to doubt that because, how stupid can cornermen be? Thats supposed to be their job to know their opponent better than he knows himself.

As for Herrings corner, I have to doubt that because, how stupid can cornermen be? Thats supposed to be their job to know their opponent better than he knows himself.

Well, Dave Meltzer (editor of the Wrestling Observer) speaks to Dana on a weekly basis and Joe Silva more often, so it's likely he was told by one of them

Agree about BJ. He has a full time diet and nutrition coach as well as strength and conditioning coaches who im sure will want to make him a strong, lean and fast 170.

Internet folk seem to be focusing on BJ looking a little plump these days...there are forgetting that fact that BJ needs to make up a bit of weight and will most likely add some lean muscle....calorie surplus means some of that will be pudge.

I would expect to see a larger, leaner BJ at 170 than ever before and if i don't i will frankly be dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

BJ wasn't exactly cut when he moved up to fight Hughes...

• Advertisement

Internet folk seem to be focusing on BJ looking a little plump these days...there are forgetting that fact that BJ needs to make up a bit of weight and will most likely add some lean muscle....calorie surplus means some of that will be pudge.

I would expect to see a larger, leaner BJ at 170 than ever before and if i don't i will frankly be dissapointed.

I dont think he looks any different than usual. By all accounts he's been taking his training very seriously the last year or 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement