Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Dragan wrote: »
    I do think the GSP can set a pretty blistering pace though and i doubt that even a cardio improved BJ can hang with it for 25 mins.

25mins? Is it going to be a title match?

lafors wrote: »
    25mins? Is it going to be a title match?

That would be a oui. BJ wants to hold 2 titles at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I am getting really pumped for this match and there isnt even a date yet.

Hard to see BJ finishing GSP from his back, GSP is so strong and cardiotastic, that BJ needs to do the damage standing. If BJ loses it will be because he gasses, and not because he isnt in peak shape, but because he got worn down by a bigger more athlethic guy with elite level cardio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    I am getting really pumped for this match and there isnt even a date yet.

Hard to see BJ finishing GSP from his back, GSP is so strong and cardiotastic, that BJ needs to do the damage standing. If BJ loses it will be because he gasses, and not because he isnt in peak shape, but because he got worn down by a bigger more athlethic guy with elite level cardio.

I also think GSP has changed in many ways since fighting BJ the first time....i think Penn may be a little bit crisper standing and obviously works much harder on his cardio now but GSP is a different machine now altogether.

I also think GSP has changed in many ways since fighting BJ the first time....i think Penn may be a little bit crisper standing and obviously works much harder on his cardio now but GSP is a different machine now altogether.

With that said I think that BJ is STILL the better technician in ever aspect except wrestling. But i do think that BJ can stuff GSP's takedowns.

The main difference for me is strength and athleticism.

I see BJ taking it provided he's in shape.

It shows how big this fight is and will be the amount of interest its generated already though. BJ Penn.com has a vid of BJ holding a video camera as he went into the octagon on Saturday btw for anyone who's interested. Its a bit jumpy but a good watch regardless.

Also in that vid is Matt Hughes, Rampage, Tiki and Machida.

Tiki was on another vid shown hangin out with Dana too. Maybe he's there to keep Quinton straight. Old training partners and Tiki doesnt drink (anyone who saw his blind date knows that!! :pac:) Cos I know Quinton was with Dana most of the weekend and he said Dana has been lookin after him like he's his mum making him eat, drink and keepin him in check.

• Advertisement

The main difference for me is strength and athleticism.

and size?

anyone else thinking Rampage is getting an easy ride from a press point of view. The woman he hit miscarried (I think medical autopsy is pending so causality still an issue), there could have been much more serious injuries.

and size?

anyone else thinking Rampage is getting an easy ride from a press point of view. The woman he hit miscarried (I think medical autopsy is pending so causality still an issue), there could have been much more serious injuries.

Size too obviously but BJ doesnt struggle too much with size when guys are GSPs size, he struggled with size against Machida who compared to BJ is massive.

Yea he is but then what good would it do right now to be on his back. Dana seems to be looking after him and keeping him out of trouble.

I think its right to wait for all of the facts to come out before dropping the hammer on him. Not saying it wasnt a direct cause but the woman miscarried a week later so we should at the very least find out those results first. I dont condone what he did but I dont believe in linching people before the facts come out. Fact is he hit a womans car, she miscarried a week or 2 later. It looks bad so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Yes and no, I'm sure the woman thinks he's getting away with murder, but on the other hand, a born again christian recovering from a mental break down doesn't need to be reading about how he went crazy and caused a woman to have a miscarraige, It'll do more damage to his mind. Before the incident to my knowledge Rampage was never in any serious trouble, I'd completely agree he was getting off scot free if he had a record of bad behaviour

Yes and no, I'm sure the woman thinks he's getting away with murder, but on the other hand, a born again christian recovering from a mental break down doesn't need to be reading about how he went crazy and caused a woman to have a miscarraige, It'll do more damage to his mind. Before the incident to my knowledge Rampage was never in any serious trouble, I'd completely agree he was getting off scot free if he had a record of bad behaviour

He's been in trouble with misdemeanours before in his youth but not in a long time and certainly not since he "found God".

That said, he has to pay for any crimes he's guilty of committing.

Fitch has posted on the UG saying he is fine and hopes to fight again before the end of the year.

Sorry, the guy is a tank.

• Advertisement

Fitch has posted on the UG saying he is fine and hopes to fight again before the end of the year.

Sorry, the guy is a tank.

that is true. Considering how badly he handled Thiago Alves I see him as the new gatekeeper. I would not want to be the next guy he fights.

Tank he may be, but he sure aint pretty no mores

http://www.fightlinker.com/?p=2918

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It shows how big this fight is and will be the amount of interest its generated already though. BJ Penn.com has a vid of BJ holding a video camera as he went into the octagon on Saturday btw for anyone who's interested. Its a bit jumpy but a good watch regardless.

cheers for that, did you watch the after UFC 87 video with Bruce Buffer in it he seems like a mad chap, funny b@st@rd

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    cheers for that, did you watch the after UFC 87 video with Bruce Buffer in it he seems like a mad chap, funny b@st@rd
    Havent seen it but Ive met him a few times and he's good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I know there's another thread for this really, but yeah, I think so. I saw him in Dana's vlogs (video logs, apparently) in the run up to the UFC 87 & he was just laughing it off & signing babies etc. Didn't sit so good with me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Well, he goes before the judge on Friday, we'll see what happens

Tito and affliction is still up in the air. Affliction arent very happy with what Tito is asking for. That says alot considering these guys paid 800k for Sylvia and 300k for Lindland

Also GSP Penn may not happen this year, GSP is looking for some time off following 4 fights in 12 months. I still think it will happen at new years, Dana will likely be doing some arm twisting

BJ confirmed that he'll be hangin onto the 155 title as well as challenging for the 170lb title, so if he beats GSP he'll be looking to defend both.

Link

Right, just listened to an interview with Herring, take home points being....

1) He is injury free except for the eye, swollen and needs some tests but doctors think he will be fine.

2) He doesn't remember a whole lot about round 1, the big right landed by Lesnar rocked him and after that it was survive, the first think he remembers is Stitch examing the cut between Rd1 and Rd2

3) He never once bought into the whole "Lesnar is not a real fighter" and trained for him as he would any other.

4) He never talked crap about Brock and while he doesn't like what Brock did after the fight he understands the fight game and holds no grudges.

5) He would like another shot off Brock again should it make sense in the grand scheme of things.

Thats about it really.

Right, just listened to an interview with Herring, take home points being....

1) He is injury free except for the eye, swollen and needs some tests but doctors think he will be fine.

2) He doesn't remember a whole lot about round 1, the big right landed by Lesnar rocked him and after that it was survive, the first think he remembers is Stitch examing the cut between Rd1 and Rd2

3) He never once bought into the whole "Lesnar is not a real fighter" and trained for him as he would any other.

4) He never talked crap about Brock and while he doesn't like what Brock did after the fight he understands the fight game and holds no grudges.

5) He would like another shot off Brock again should it make sense in the grand scheme of things.

Thats about it really.

Thanks Dragan.

I dont think Heath would ever beat a guy like Brock, its his achilles heel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

Thanks Dragan.

I dont think Heath would ever beat a guy like Brock, its his achilles heel.

i think the whole MMA game is his achilles heel.....:D

Heath Herring is classy, he was outmatched, a rematch would do him no good.

Tito and affliction is still up in the air. Affliction arent very happy with what Tito is asking for. That says alot considering these guys paid 800k for Sylvia and 300k for Lindland

The word is that Tito wants "significantly more" than anyone else in the company. There's not a chance that he's worth it. He'll probably lose to Babalu too

And Jenna's pregnant :pac:

I've got to doubt what Herring said about not thinking that Brock's not a real fighter. Maybe he did think that, but it's not what his camp were saying. There's a bit more detail in the new Wrestling Observer about it, and Meltzer's got plenty of sources in the UFC, including Dana and Joe Silva, and he's reported that Herring's camp were comparing the fight to when Herring fought Giant Silva in PRIDE, that it was just a freak show. They also said stuff to Brock's camp on the day of the fight, which Brock heard about

There was also a note about how it was a bit ironic that Herring's management complained on the internet about Lesnar's taunting, when Herring only got a huge push when he debuted in the UFC because of him knocking out Nakao when he kissed him

Dana's said that he wants Cung Le in the UFC. I'm not sure that he could hang at middleweight as he's lighter than some welterweights

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/14/randy-coutures-pricetag-6-10-million/

Rumours going around that UFC may put on the Randy Fedor fight after all. If Randy is expecting to get paid over $6m it just wont happen.

Fedor's management have been proposing the fight to take place in the UFC publicly too. But they won't let him sign an exclusive contract and they'll only agree to a two-fight UFC contract. If they cave in and let him sign a multi-fight UFC contract then I think that the PPV would do better than 700,000 buys. The UFC would promote the hell out of it

at this stage there are more reasons for the UFC to do it then not.
    Randy probably only has one more fight in him, so he wont be competition anymore. Fedor will probably go back to beating up tin cans in Japan after. Also there is a prestige within the industry for hossting this kind of superfight.

I dont think it will be as big financially as everyone things though. If you were to tell alot of the new generation of MMA fans that two of the best heavyweights in the world were fighting, they would ask you who Kimbo slice was up against. Fedor has never done big numbers in the US and Randy's numbers are questionable at this stage. Also, there is no bad blood in this match and nothing at stake either. Both are nice guys with limited ability to hype an event.

Single handed BJ will create more hype for the GSP fight than the whole UFC machine will be able to create around Randy Fedor. The numbers will be good, just not spectacular.

Fedor will probably go back to beating up tin cans in Japan after.

What if Affliction become successful though? Or some other promotion gets a hold of Fedor after the UFC have hyped the hell out of him? That's a big reason for the UFC not to do the fight, at least not on Fedor's terms
    Fedor has never done big numbers in the US

Affliction? Although it didn't do the numbers that they were hoping for, it still did amazingly well for a PPV in that situation. And most of the promotion was centred on Fedor. If the UFC do sign Fedor then they've already got a great starting point in promoting him thanks to Affliction
    Also, there is no bad blood in this match and nothing at stake either.

Randy's UFC Heavyweight title vs Fedor's PRIDE Heavyweight title? The fight to decide who is the undisputed top heavyweight in the world?

I just wouldn't underestimate the UFC's promotion power. If they manage to put this fight together then they will be going well out of their way to make it into a huge deal. They'll be able to show Fedor's fights in PRIDE, which will be a huge bonus in promoting him. Randy will have that love him or hate him attitude towards him now. I really think that the fight would do huge numbers

You'd have to feel a little sorry for Nogueira if that fight did take place. Fedor would be the favourite, and Nogueira's probably less likely to beat Fedor now than he was in the past. I think he could beat Randy though

Fedor is a clever man. He has already publically stated his interest in fighting Brock when Lesnar's skills are up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

"But we all have to thank him for getting rid of Tim Sylvia. He'd been stinking out the joint the last couple of years and Fedor did everyone a favor by beating him so easily and getting rid of him."

Dana White.

Dana is your typical guy who talks tough about people, but never has the balls to back it up. He is turning into the internet warrior who sits on his ass claiming " i could beat that guy " - I'm so tired listening to him, losing a lot of respect for him.

I could beat Sylvia though : )

• Advertisement

Fedor wont be allowed fight for the UFC title on only a one fight contract

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement