Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Fedor wont be allowed fight for the UFC title on only a one fight contract

Bingo.

In other news Dana has confirmed GSP vs Penn for 27th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dragan wrote: »
    Bingo.

In other news Dana has confirmed GSP vs Penn for 27th December.

I saw the clip of that on ESPN. Wasn't the Dana interview conducted prior to the Fitch/GSP fight and then later on GSP said he more or less didn't want to fight again this year?

EDIT: The Dana interview wasafter GSP/Fitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Fedor wont be allowed fight for the UFC title on only a one fight contract

He won't be allowed fight for the UFC on a one fight contract. They couldn't afford the chance that after all the publicity that they'd have to give him, he could beat a top guy and then head to Affliction or wherever

Fozzy wrote: »
    He won't be allowed fight for the UFC on a one fight contract. They couldn't afford the chance that after all the publicity that they'd have to give him, he could beat a top guy and then head to Affliction or wherever

Which is why i dont seee this fight happening in the UFC

Which is why i dont seee this fight happening in the UFC

I do. Fedor's management still want to be able to promote a UFC show in Russia and eventually they'll realise that that's just not going to happen. They also want Fedor to be able to fight for other promotions while under UFC contract, and I think that if they really think about it, working exclusively for the UFC is a better prospect than working for all these other promotions. I think that they'll come around to that way of thinking at some point

What could really help is if the UFC became big in Russia. I've no idea how likely that is though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Craig14

Fozzy wrote: »
    I do. Fedor's management still want to be able to promote a UFC show in Russia and eventually they'll realise that that's just not going to happen. They also want Fedor to be able to fight for other promotions while under UFC contract, and I think that if they really think about it, working exclusively for the UFC is a better prospect than working for all these other promotions. I think that they'll come around to that way of thinking at some point

What could really help is if the UFC became big in Russia. I've no idea how likely that is though

I would think if the UFC ever went to Russia Affliction would put on a ppv the same day with Fedor on it just to piss them of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Craig14 wrote: »
    I would think if the UFC ever went to Russia Affliction would put on a ppv the same day with Fedor on it just to piss them of

lol id love to see that :D

Did any one catch the streams of Deep 36th Impact over the week end?
    1st time i've seen a head stomp used in a match (it was legal too) :eek:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/spike-tv-releases-tuf-8-cast-14092

TUF 8 cast names released. It's looking pretty damn stacked and competitive this time out. I think the majority of it called Danzig to win it out last time the second we heard he was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Mir Vs Nogueira in December, nice!
    Wasn't there talk of BJ Vs GSP in December also, if so that's going to be one stacked card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Interesting the number of brothers on the show. Standard appears higher than previous years. I presume they are planning on having everyone fight to get onto the show?

• Advertisement

Interesting the number of brothers on the show. Standard appears higher than previous years. I presume they are planning on having everyone fight to get onto the show?

Yes indeed, first two shows are like last time, everyone fights.

At least they will be ready for it this time, it sucked for some guys who had to cut such a large amount of weight last time, lost cos they gassed and then didnt even get to spend any time in the house or train with the coaches

A note from f4wonline.com:
    We will have more tomorrow as this has not yet been made official, but it appears the December 5th UFC will be taking place at the Bell Center in Montreal with George St. Pierre headlining.

There had been talk of a "mystery" Montreal show this year, looks like it's going to happen now. If they've got Chuck on the December 27th show then it makes sense to put GSP and BJ on a different show. Should be a fun month of MMA

Dec 5th is a Friday, apparently Saturday was unavailale. BJ is back training for his next fight according to his brother

It was a French-language tv station in Montreal that originally reported the December 5th show. I had been under the impression that f4wonline had heard something from the UFC. I doubt that there'll be a show on that date now

Kenflo vs daddy in November, rules out a possible lw defense for BJ this year for definite. Its an awkward matchup, Kenflo has nothing to gain and no one wants to see daddy fight BJ again if he wins

There was a piece on Lee Murray on a US sports channel last week, E:60 on ESPN. It's about the bank robbery. I've watched half of it and it's interesting

ESPN magazine has a big feature on him now too, and Sports Illustrated are making their first film about his story

I just read that Cage Rage cancelled an event last weekend on 24 hours notice. Things don't look to be getting any better for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Cage Rage 25 is available on DVD in Tower records. It has Aisling Daly being from the UK on the back of the box:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Jul08fdcomp_UK.jpg

ufc12du1.jpg

I won it. :D

EliteXC don't seem to be very happy with Noons.

http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/820/nick_diaz_339181.shtml

• Advertisement

From wrestlingobserver.com:

Two drug test positives to be announced tomorrow

By Dave Meltzer

Bill Douglas of the California State Athletic Commission released that B samples have been returned positive for one fighter on both the July 19 Affliction show in Anaheim and the July 26 Elite XC CBS card in Stockton.

The names will be released tomorrow after notification of the promotions and fighters. Douglas also announced Fabio Negao and Matt Lindland on the Affliction show are clear, as are Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith on the Elite XC show.

Noons has the same manager, Mark Dion, that allegedly messed over Brandon Vera

Indeed he does. I think we will see more and more fighters dropping the guy as time goes on.

When a fighter holds a belt he needs to realise he is in a position where he HAS to accept all challengers at your weight class.

That is, by and large, the whole point.

The only reason in my mind you would refuse to fight someone is because you think you can't win.

If this be the case, relinquish your belt.

Personally, i don't like Noons. He has hacked me off a bit in interviews and such. I'm not buying the "gentleman of MMA" routine.

Then again, i don't buy that off GSP either tbh.

Next to the Diaz brothers, Noons looks like the classiest guy alive.

I am going to hold off on judging Noons until I get his side of the story because I have very little faith in EliteXc

Next to the Diaz brothers, Noons looks like the classiest guy alive.

Personally I am hoping the real reason Noons is disinclined to sign is because UFC have offered him something.

The guy can fight, I'd love to see him in the Octagon.

Brock vs Knogo in Novemeber

Brock vs Knogo in Novemeber

Another win for Brock imo.

That went to a court of arbitration and it was ruled that Brandon was in the wrong and his manager did everything right. Brandon still owes Dion money for his next one or two fights. If you read the full case on it (it's on the internet somewhere, I think I posted it here at the time), Brandon comes off looking pretty bad

I was expecting those Affliction drug failures. I read something a few weeks ago that sounded cautious, but it said that some A samples tested positive so the B samples had to be tested. Gonna have to check who's been cleared already

Noons should be pissed at EliteXC for not showing the Diaz brothers post-fight antics on their CBS show! If they had then their rematch would be a big money match. Now it won't be as big as it could be, if it happens

I just read that Fedor, Sylvia, Little Nog and Edwin Dewees are the only Affliction fighters not already announced as passing their drug tests. If it was Fedor that would send quite the shockwave around the place

From the EliteXC show it's Nick Thompson, Antonio Silva, Jake Shields or Justin Eilers

• Advertisement

The results are in:
    www.wrestlingobserver.com
    Affliction drug test failure was Edwin Dewees. No breaking audio for that one.
    Dewees failed for Nandrolone at 499 ng/ML. According to Bill Douglas of the CSAC, he has been suspended one year and fined $2,500.

And:
    Antonio Silva Jr., the current EliteXC Heavyweight Champion, tested positive for Boldenone. He has been suspended for one year and fined $2,500.

Justin Eilers, Nick Thompson and Jake Shields all tested clean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement