Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Silly silly Antonio. He used to be so much bigger naturally though, but they wouldn't clear him to fight in the US until he got his pituitary gland tumour sorted out

Dragan wrote: »
    Another win for Brock imo.

Not only that but IMO an easy win for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Silva gonna fight the charges, says steroids could be fatal to him because of his medical condition.

Also, Mark Dion, Noons manager has responded

“The update on [the deadline] is nothing is going to happen with it,” Dion said. “That’s what’s going to happen with that. I don’t care about how many threats [Shaw] wants to pull. We’ll be doing a press conference if EliteXC doesn’t see the light here pretty soon and if Shaw doesn’t stop talking [expletive].”

“As far as Nick Diaz, he’s not the No. 1 contender out there,” Dion said. “To [EliteXC] he is. He’s the number one (for getting) eyeballs to (watch) them. They’re pushing on eyeballs versus a career move for a champion like KJ. KJ is really not the one who gets anything out of the fight. Diaz does and so does ProElite.”

“We’ll do a press conference to discuss everything,” Dion said. “But there’s nothing in it for KJ unless [EliteXC] finally wakes up a little bit. That’s why we’ll have a press conference. I don’t like to talk and beat a company that’s already beat down. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully they’ll see the light.”

Noons makes about a third of what Diaz makes per fight, and EliteXC were trying to make him sign a long-term contract earlier this year. It seems that he wants a short-term contract for more money

It's silly to criticise a promotion for trying to get people to watch. If they didn't do that they'd already be dead. If KJ won that fight on CBS then he'd be a bigger star than he is now, so it looks to me like he just doesn't want to fight Diaz

Silva probably won't have much luck fighting his case. A Californian lab found Boldenone in his A sample and a Montreal lab found it in his B sample. I remember hearing about how the commission gave out to Sherk's lawyer for acting like Sherk didn't have something in his system. If Antonio takes the same approach it'll do no good. He had the steroid in his system, and it's not the sort of steroid that you might possibly get from some tainted supplement

Jake Shields and Paul Daley have agreed to fight. That'll be a good fight

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

If this happens it could be a huge fight

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5131/mauricio-shogun-rua-set-for-december-return.mma

Would personally love to see this rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

If this happens it could be a huge fight

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5131/mauricio-shogun-rua-set-for-december-return.mma

Would personally love to see this rematch.

I'd love to see them fight again but I think Rampage/Silva 3 would do better business (due to Silva being more well known) and would make better sense.

Assuming (and it's a big assumption) Lidell beats Rashad, it will be Lidell/Forrest in December and I would have Wanderlei and Rampage fight for the right to be next in line for a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Personally, i don't like Noons. He has hacked me off a bit in interviews and such. I'm not buying the "gentleman of MMA" routine.

Then again, i don't buy that off GSP either tbh.

What do you mean about GSP, you don't think he's as pleasant as he seems? I've met him and he was absolutely sound ( though is was 2004 before his first Hughes fight and he wasn't famous ) and he always seems to say and do the right things.

Just interested to see why you don't buy it, do you think the UFC is using him to put a good marketable face on the sport?
    :confused:

What do you mean about GSP, you don't think he's as pleasant as he seems? I've met him and he was absolutely sound ( though is was 2004 before his first Hughes fight and he wasn't famous ) and he always seems to say and do the right things.

Just interested to see why you don't buy it, do you think the UFC is using him to put a good marketable face on the sport?

I met him in London and he was a gent, lovely guy altogther. And that was after he pulverised Hughes in their second fight.

As for your sig, personally tI think Mir will put in a good performance for 2-3 mins, then he will gas!! Sorry!

Its difficult to always be the nice guy when you are under scrutiny 24/7. Even the guys who I dont like when I see them being interviewed, are apparently really nice to fans (Tito). Being a polarising figure is good for business.

I met him in London and he was a gent, lovely guy altogther. And that was after he pulverised Hughes in their second fight.

As for your sig, personally tI think Mir will put in a good performance for 2-3 mins, then he will gas!! Sorry!

I agree he'll probably gas after 3 mins, but by that stage he'll be champ. Once it hits the ground, Mir will surprise everyone and submit him early.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Don't know if its been posted already but:

Rosi Sexton Vs Debi Purcell:
    http://blog.ronin5.com/shoxc-debbie-purcell-vs-rosie-sexton-video-clip/

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Don't know if its been posted already but:

Rosi Sexton Vs Debi Purcell:
    http://blog.ronin5.com/shoxc-debbie-purcell-vs-rosie-sexton-video-clip/

I watched that full event last week, first ShoXC show I'd seen in full. The first fight and the main event were the best fights, very good. Can't remember their names

The women's match wasn't too exciting. Highlight was Rosi attempting a cartwheel guard pass, landing on her head, and then almost ending up in a triangle choke

f4wonline.com says that EXC will officially announce Kimbo vs Ken Shamrock today or tomorrow for their October CBS show. While certainly not any sort of elite level fight, it's one that should generate a lot of interest

My money's on Ken pulling out the win on the ground, and for it to beat the highest MMA tv audience record

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fozzy wrote: »
    f4wonline.com says that EXC will officially announce Kimbo vs Ken Shamrock today or tomorrow for their October CBS show. While certainly not any sort of elite level fight, it's one that should generate a lot of interest

My money's on Ken pulling out the win on the ground, and for it to beat the highest MMA tv audience record

Ken by kneebar.

After seeing his last fight with Berry, my money is not on Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

i def agree, he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights in his last fight (was actually rather depressing to witness it)

Another fine matchmaking by Elitexc, an opponent who has been knocked out in the first rd of his last 5 fights, represents a major step up in competition for any top ten HW.

They are pulling the same **** with Gina Carano, feeding her some girl who got KO'd in her last two fights instead of Cyborg Santos.

I agree he'll probably gas after 3 mins, but by that stage he'll be champ. Once it hits the ground, Mir will surprise everyone and submit him early.

;)

Hahah we'll see. IMO Nog is better on the ground than Mir.

Ken is gonna get killed by Kimbo. EXC are smart but this is getting tiresome.

Hahah we'll see. IMO Nog is better on the ground than Mir.

Ken is gonna get killed by Kimbo. EXC are smart but this is getting tiresome.

I agree with Nog being better than Mir on the ground. Catching Nog in a submisssion, I cant picture it in my head.

Not so sure this is a smart move by elitexc, the dedicated mma fans are appalled, while the more casual fans dont understand that Kimbo is being fed tin cans. There is a chance Ken wins if he gets an early takedown and catches a submission. In that case Kimbo is ruined, and Ken isnt really marketable anymore anyway. Anything other than a 10 second KO is going to make Kimbo look bad here. It really is a case of EXC putting all their money on one horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

The women's match wasn't too exciting. Highlight was Rosi attempting a cartwheel guard pass, landing on her head, and then almost ending up in a triangle choke
    I was actually over in Rosi's gym (SBG UK) last week and listening to them it was her all the way, looking at the video it looked a lot closer, but she definately deserved the win IMO.
    No not the most exciting I suppose but it looked to be at a higher technical standard than I've seen in most of the ladies MMA fights I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Pretty much. GSP has shown signs to me that he is not the flawless gentleman he is, or chooses to be, portrayed as. Just a few stay comments and then trying to make ground to cover them up.

I don't know, just something i get off him. Do i need to like GSP as a person? Nope, not at all, just offering my opinion i guess.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Not so sure this is a smart move by elitexc, the dedicated mma fans are appalled, while the more casual fans dont understand that Kimbo is being fed tin cans. There is a chance Ken wins if he gets an early takedown and catches a submission. In that case Kimbo is ruined, and Ken isnt really marketable anymore anyway. Anything other than a 10 second KO is going to make Kimbo look bad here. It really is a case of EXC putting all their money on one horse.

I completely disagree. It's the smartest business move EXC could do. They've booked the most interesting fight they realistically could for the casual audience with 2 guys who have proven they are big MMA draws on tv.

Firstly, hardcore MMA fans may be appalled by the move. However, 90% of them will still watch the fight anyway and quite frankly in order for EXC to survive, they need a hell of alot more than just hardcore MMA fans.

Secondly, if Kimbo beats Ken, it's prefect.

If Ken beats Kimbo, they can go places with that too. They could do Frank/Ken and even further down the line (if they survive) bring Tito into the mix.

EXC have booked a match that will draw viewers. The key now is getting the word out and advertising it heavily. It's a big show for them.

I completely disagree. It's the smartest business move EXC could do. They've booked the most interesting fight they realistically could for the casual audience with 2 guys who have proven they are big MMA draws on tv.

Firstly, hardcore MMA fans may be appalled by the move. However, 90% of them will still watch the fight anyway and quite frankly in order for EXC to survive, they need a hell of alot more than just hardcore MMA fans.

Secondly, if Kimbo beats Ken, it's prefect.

If Ken beats Kimbo, they can go places with that too. They could do Frank/Ken and even further down the line (if they survive) bring Tito into the mix.

EXC have booked a match that will draw viewers. The key now is getting the word out and advertising it heavily. It's a big show for them.

You have a very valid point that if Ken wins they could sign up a potentially huge Ken/Frank matchup. My thinking is that you have to turn casual fans into hardcore fans or else they will lose interest. UFC made this leap, EXC are reaching a whole new audience but arent converting them to the sport

Pretty much. GSP has shown signs to me that he is not the flawless gentleman he is, or chooses to be, portrayed as. Just a few stay comments and then trying to make ground to cover them up.

I don't know, just something i get off him. Do i need to like GSP as a person? Nope, not at all, just offering my opinion i guess.

cool mate, just wondering if you'd heard / seen something we hadn't

;)

cool mate, just wondering if you'd heard / seen something we hadn't

;)

N'ah, purely the vibe i get is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

The real reason Dragan doesn't like GSP is that GSP turned Dragan down when he asked him to junior prom.

Let it go, dude.

dunkamania wrote: »
    You have a very valid point that if Ken wins they could sign up a potentially huge Ken/Frank matchup. My thinking is that you have to turn casual fans into hardcore fans or else they will lose interest. UFC made this leap, EXC are reaching a whole new audience but arent converting them to the sport

I don't think they need to do that yet. Right now they just need to get a big audience for this CBS show in October. There had to be a much higher percentage of casual or even non-MMA fans who watched the first CBS show than would watch an average UFC show. Kimbo vs Ken is an enormous match-up for the casual or non-MMA fan

There's also the problem where if EXC turns casual fans into hardcore fans, they'll just realise that the UFC has better fighters and go watch that :pac:

The real reason Dragan doesn't like GSP is that GSP turned Dragan down when he asked him to junior prom.

Let it go, dude.

He broke my heart, so i cast a spell of mental weakness. It worked against Hughes the first time, and Serra the first time.

He beat it vs BJ though!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

So is it now an official rule that MMA news has to go on this thread? I've seen two threads locked already, but thought there might be something else behind it.

• Advertisement

Clive wrote: »
    So is it now an official rule that MMA news has to go on this thread? I've seen two threads locked already, but thought there might be something else behind it.

Ideally yes, that is what we would like to see. Big Org news and discussion should go in here.

If something is a massive story , and i mean truly massive like the UFC folds or something then yeah, a new thread, Dana saying he is unsure of a couple of things is not new thread worthy though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement