Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/UFC/PRIDE/K-1 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Not wanting to start a whole big conversation, but that is fairly restrictive as sometimes it feels like there are 3 or 4 conversations runinng concurrently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    Not wanting to start a whole big conversation, but that is fairly restrictive as sometimes it feels like there are 3 or 4 conversations runinng concurrently.

I know where you are coming from mate but the alternative was the there would be a good few posts on the front page about simple MMA news. Will have a chat with Colm and possibly Cult and see if we can come up with anything that might solve all issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I think letting people just post threads about MMA news is the best option.Threthening people with a ban is also really harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It depends what the news is I think. A date being set for BJ vs GSP doesn't really deserve a new thread. Other stuff might

I was watching a bit of the recent Sengoku show, there were some real nice early finishes in a few fights. Frank Trigg put on a decent enough showing, winning mainly by wrestling. Gomi didn't look very impressive, nothing really happened in his fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Since there's a lot of chat off this thread re. MMA maybe MMA should be dropped from this threads title.

Otherwise someone will start bitching that MMAleague/R.o.T discussion etc should be moved here.

Oh, and a UFC subforum might not be a bad idea either.

Personally I could give a flying fvck about the UFC or Pride, but it causes's bad feelings when someone posts UFC news outside of this thread and is then threatened with a banning or infraction.

That might also happen outside of a sub-forum but not so easy (I feel) and when it does there should be no hard feelings for actions taken by a Mod.

Also, with two mods here now a sub-forum shouldn't be too much extra work.

• Advertisement

Guys, if someone posts outside of the forum norm, has been informed of the correct way to post and continues to do in a manner that contradicts what they have been asked to do then i am going to infract or possibly ban them.

We'll all adults here, it's not that difficult to do the simple things you are asked to do like that poster was.

Also, this is not the best place for discussion on such things and i can either be PM'd ( I think the people who have pm'd me in the past about actions taken on this forum have been more than happy with the explanations provided ).

As i said, i'm looking into what we can do to suit people and i'll let you know available options as soon as i can.

Dragan as a mod is far too reasonable and fair for my liking.
    ;)

A fair bit of mma news out, RAmpage is smacktalking Griffin, saying that he doesnt respect him anymore for not offering an immediate rematch, and that he was at his worst while Griffin was at his best and Rampage still won. I also heard he was training at Wolfslair (UK) which I thought was odd given his legal difficulties.

Ken vs Kimbo might not get approved
    "But before the fight can go down at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, it must be approved by the Florida State Boxing Commission. And Alexis Antonacci, press secretary for the Department of Business and Professional Regulations, which oversees the Boxing Commission, told me today that such approval is not a foregone conclusion.

“In terms of his record and the number of times he’s been knocked out, we would look at that prior to the physical examination,” Antonacci said. “When the matchmaker puts people together for the fight, they have to be approved by us.”

Shamrock vs. Kimbo has so far passed through Florida’s initial approval process, but Antonacci stressed that “we haven’t done a full check on each of the fighters.”"

Also apparently Randy is in training for a fight, rumoured to be the UFC 91 card. http://www.redsweat.com/rumor-couture-to-headline-ufc-91-in-portland-or/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

I think its a fair proposal to keep most/all MMA, UFC, Pride etc here in this thread and thats coming from someone who probley hasn't read about 80 pages here. Let me explain that so it makes sense (hopefully). Since most news has been amalgamated into this thread, if I wanted to read news about the UFC, I had to go into this thread. Now I'm reading all kinds of stuff MMA related which I might not have bothered reading if it was posted as an individual thread which to my mind is a good thing because I'm sure there are others that do the same. Secondly and I'm not trying to cause any sheet stirring here (honestly!!!) but it may also help non Combat Sports guys (who do make up some percentage of this site) think they're not been swamped out by Combat Sports related threads.

I just read a good one. Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver, from the last TUF, has legally changed his name to War Machine. The UFC couldn't call him by his nickname during his last fight because TNA, a wrestling promotion on the same tv channel as UFC, have a wrestler called Rhino, whose nickname is the War Machine and they have that trademarked. TNA threatened a lawsuit so the UFC couldn't use the name. So now he's Mr War Machine

I just read an even better one, Franks Shamrocks view on the Kimbo Ken fight

“Ken has 10 times Kimbo’s ability, so if he can get just 10 percent of that, and he’s focused, he can beat him,” Frank Shamrock said. “If not, he’s going to get clubbed horribly upside the head and fall down, all scary looking.”

He would have more credibility if he wasnt still trying to get a brother vs brother fight going next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'd have to agree, If Ken uses his brain and decides to take it down he should have an easy win. The Collosus showed how bad Kimbo is on the ground not that everyone didn't already know

Ken does still have a lot more ability than Kimbo. How long ago was it that he fought Franklin? He put him on crutches for a week and Franklin's got to be more competent on the ground than Kimbo

He lost his last fight because he had a terrible gameplan. I was shouting at him not to stand there without throwing any strikes. If you go into a fight and don't try to take your opponent down or try to knock them out, you're going to lose. I'm sure Ken will drop that strategy for Kimbo

I could see Kimbo knocking Ken down with a big punch, jumping down on him to finish him off, and Ken pulling out an ankle lock and winning. It'd be poetic :pac:

The Wrestling Observer has some news this week about the California State Athletic Commission's ongoing pursuit to prove Sean Sherk wrong. They had been testing the A samples in Quest Laboratories and if there were any postive results the B samples were sent to a Montreal lab. Now the A samples will be sent to the UCLA Olympic testing lab. That means that they will be using Olympic levels, which in some cases are "drastically lower" than the levels that they had been using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Just going back to rampage. Ok he's signed to Wolf's Lair so that means they'll be doing his contract stuff and promotion. But who is training him? Who is he training with? Who's organising that? He's based in California, he's not moving to Merseyside.

I'd have to agree, If Ken uses his brain and decides to take it down he should have an easy win. The Collosus showed how bad Kimbo is on the ground not that everyone didn't already know

Hard to resist

Rampage is a mess, hes started talking about destiny again. He also pled not guilty to his charges.

KJ Noons has responded, hitting out at EXC mishandling and lack of promotion of him. Also, he claims his main beef is with EXC canceling his boxing contract, he wants to stay focused on boxing, and apparently EXC are holding up their end of the deal.

In fairness to Ken, IF he gets Kimbo down, IF he can get a hold of a leg he could easily pull out the win.

It really sucks having three or more conversations at the same time in the same thread.

It really sucks having three or more conversations at the same time in the same thread.

Noted. I wanted to have more thought put in to solving this but one of my other forums needs some heavy parenting right now i fear.

In other news,

a nice curiosity piece here.

Soku and Karo, before they were famous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0a027K38s&eurl=http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Video:-Old-Judo-Video-Of-Sokoudjou-Vs.-Karo-Parisyan.html

Fozzy wrote: »
    He lost his last fight because he had a terrible gameplan.

Ken has stated that he was very sick for his fight in Cage Rage. Apparently when he got home he spent four days in the hospital and dropped about 20 pounds in that time.

Could be talk, could be true.

Maybe its true, maybe its not, but he lost his previous four fights to first round TKO also.

Maybe its true, maybe its not, but he lost his previous four fights to first round TKO also.

And he's 7 loses for his last 8 fights! Not good for Ken but still, Kimbo is tailor made to be beaten by Shamrock if he fights HIS fight.

For a lot of guys, their gameplan to beat Kimbo could be to just stay safe for the first round and a half, keep him busy, and then close in on him to finish it because we know Kimbo hasn't got great conditioning. He was in bits at the end of the second round against Thompson, and not because he'd been hit hard

Ken can't do that though, he'll probably gas before Kimbo does

• Advertisement

Kimbo is still relatively inexperienced, his cardio may improve in fights to come

Kimbo is still relatively inexperienced, his cardio may improve in fights to come

Bingo. For me there is a difference between cardio and conditioning. Conditioning for me is much tougher to measure and only becomes clear when fighters start taking damage and are dealing with the insane level of adrenaline that a big sporting event can cause.

That adrenaline dump will rob your energy quicker than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dragan wrote: »
    And he's 7 loses for his last 8 fights

6 of those coming by KO or TKO. My money won't be on Ken.

depends on the odds, I got 4-1 on Josh Thopmson, it was a good bet

I am hearing bout Randy vs Brock at 91, also bout UFC taking over CBS deal from EXC

I am hearing bout Randy vs Brock at 91

Randy's talking to the UFC about it anyway. Randy's still the champ, I wonder if the title will be on the line :pac:

Tito's still negotiating with the UFC too. He's a funny guy

The CSAC's drug testing in the UCLA Olympic lab has been approved so drug levels will be lowered in that state. I think that there'll be a lot more positive tests there now

More evidence that MMA is today's equivalent of '50s pro wrestling:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fozzy wrote: »
    More evidence that MMA is today's equivalent of '50s pro wrestling

What promotion was that?

It's hard to tell, did he jump the fan or was he dragged in?

If he started it, he should be banned from competitive fighting for life.

What promotion was that?

It's hard to tell, did he jump the fan or was he dragged in?

If he started it, he should be banned from competitive fighting for life.

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/08/27/video-fighter-gets-beaten-by-fans/
    At HOOKnSHOOT’s Grand Prix in March 2006, a fighter named Jason Bryant celebrated his submission win over Scottie Newton by taking over the mic and mouthing off to the crowd. It was an innocent bit of heel-play that went terribly wrong, as one fan made like he wanted to shake Bryant’s hand, then pulled him off the entrance ramp and started beating on him. The other fans around them responded by freaking out and throwing punches at whoever was closest. Bryant actually had to fight again later that night in the tournament’s semi-final, where he lost to Heath Pedigo. The best part is that HOOKnSHOOT is apparently using this regrettable episode to promote Bryant’s appearance at their September 27th event. Because at a two-bit local show, anything can happen! Evansville, what!

I didn't realise that it happened over two years ago, they seem to only be using the footage now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Does anybody know what the listings are for UFC next Saturday. I see that Setanta Sports 1 are showing it live at 3am, but are there any other showings ?

A showing on Sunday night ? Bravo doesn't show them anymore right ? Would prefer not to have to watch it at 3am.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement